sok117

Review: The Batcave

Hello my fellow superpals! Today I'm going to be reviewing the flagship set for the new January 2012 wave of DC superheroes sets. The new Batcave gives the Dark Knight and his superpals a more campy feel when compared to 7783 The Batcave released in 2006, which had a darker feel to it. So without further adieu, let us get on with the review!

Set name: The Batcave

Set Number: 6860

Pieces: 690

Ages: 7-14 (you can fudge those numbers :grin: )

price: $89.99 CDN

VIP Points:89

Link: Lego S@H

Alright now that we've got that out of the way, lets start with the Box

Fist Impressions

review_001.jpg

Right off the bat (:grin:), I was overwhelmed by the box art. It presents a scenario where Bane, the ruthless tacticin has planned to but his floral cohort out of bat-jail. But Batman plans to break-up the reunion on his Bat-cycle while Robin jumps to his aid. There are some logistical problems I have with the box though. If Bane has found out where the Batcave is, shouldn't a brilliant mind such as his be able to determine Batmans secret identity according to the building that resides several feet above him? Also another thing I don't like is that even when it comes to the villans, they still follow the same damsel in distress scenario that was seen on the Superman vs. Power Armour Lex box art, I know this is a boys toy, but you can't help wonder what it would have been like if Bane was in Bat-jail, and Ivy came to the rescue with a giant plant *oh2*

review_002.jpg

Also Included on the Box is a pop-up of the characters included, as well as a message about the Comic Book inside. I know that TLC uses the minifigures on the box as selling-points for their products so it's nice to have a spot showing their alternate expressions and such. We also see Bruce Wayne for the first time on the box, which makes more sense compared to the old Batcave box art; Batman and Bruce Wayne were running in opposite directions while someone piloted the bat-ski :wacko: . I wonder if TLC also thinks the Comic Book is a selling point for these sets? :look:

review_003.jpg

Theres also a cool graphic on the top of the box. A cartoon version of Batman is marked on the top right corner as well as the Bat-logo on the bottom right to distinguish sets as bat-centric as opposed to Superman-centric. Another thing I like about the box is the blue cape pattern used on the top of the box which reminds me of Batman's cape flowing in the wind! :wub:

review_004.jpg

Going to the side of the box, we see a nice 1:1 scale of Batman. Not much to say about it though as it has become the standard on all sets.

review_005.jpg

Also on the side of the box, there is a nice graphic of all the superhero graphics together. We've seen Batman and Superman sets, but it leaves Joker themed sets to be desired. A shame really because I think that the Funhouse set should have been Joker-centric.

review_006.jpg

Going to the back of the box, we see a breakdown of all the cool functions of the set. I really like the comic panel setup that they use. The center pannel is filled with a continuation of the story started on the front of the box. I guess what happens next is up to you!

review_012.jpg

Opening up the box, this is what we find. A nice plethora of bags to drool over. I was dissapointed though that my instruction booklets didn't come in a cardboad backing though :angry:

review_013.jpg

Everything was more or less folded. My sticker sheet was left crumpled and my comic book was creased completely in half :sing:. My comic book isn't in mint condition! :angry: someone will have to pay for this. Unfortunatley, since my stickers were crumpled, I had tostick them under a stack of dictionarys during the duration of this review. So no stickers :cry_sad:. There are three instruction booklets, and they all have the same design as the box art.

review_015.jpg

moving on, the 5 bags cheered me up a bit. Each bag is filled nicley except maybe 3 and 5. But other then that no problems here, pretty standard for lego to release sets with numbered bags, it's nice for doing reviews.

And now were ready to start the build! :sweet:

Bag 1

review_016.jpg

Bag 1 has us building Batman and his Bat-cycle as well as Bane and his Drill-dozer

review_017.jpg

Pretty interesting parts collection here. Mostly red and black pieces. You also get the box for both capes.

review_018.jpg

Lots of interesting pieces. The red truck top is new in that colour I assume, It looks really good. You also recieve a metallic coloured exahust piece which is new in that colour as well. The exhaust colour is the same as the drill which is awesome to say the least, this piece has been M.I.A. since power miners was last released. The tread is really cool too and definitely worth mentioning. You also get the awesome new brick seperator.

review_019.jpg

A nice little bunch of extra pieces. Lights and chesse is always nice and you also get another gauge piece.

review_021.jpg

The completed vehicles are awesome! Drill machines are a staple in comics, and this one looks really good with it's red colour scheme. I also think that the flick-fire missiles are incorportaed nicely into the vehicle. The Batcycle is also really cool, I love the stream-lined look of it! There has been some hate towards it, but I think if you can remember that this is not Nolan's Batpod, you'll see it for what it is. An awesome Batcycle!

review_025.jpg

Heres a quick comparison between the Batcave Batcycle and the horrid Funhouse Batcycle. This one is clearly superior in every single way! More stream-lined and compact. The Funhouse one looks really akward when looked in comparison.

review_024.jpg

I'm really loving the look of this thing! It looks so fast and agile. Criminals are gonna have a hard time getting away from this beauty!

Bag 2

review_026.jpg

Bag 2 has us building the holding cell and beginning work on the transformation function. Looks promising! :sweet:

review_027.jpg

Looks like a pretty good parts pack! Nothing really stands out at first glance, but getting a better looks sheds some light on what this bag holds. :look:

review_029.jpg

Some new awesome trans-light blue wall pieces! :sweet: These give the cave a great high-tech feel. I'm really interested to see what use I will have for them down the road! :sweet: Other pieces worth noteing are the newly designed structure pieces in Dark Blue! I love Dark Blue, and these new pieces are awesome, you also get a whole whack of them. Other interesting pieces are the railing piece in black, and a vine piece in dark green for Poison Ivy.

review_030.jpg

Just three extra pieces here. Some cheese, a trans-light blue stud. And a technic pin.

review_031.jpg

review_032.jpg

The first module is the Holding Cell for Poison Ivy. It's a simple build that uses a cool snot technique for the gate. The inclusion of trans-light blue wall pieces is also a real bug plus as well. I also really like the turret on top.

review_033.jpg

review_035.jpg

The next part of the same bag requires you to build an elevated platform. I really think the elevation plays to the appeal of the Batcave, the supports are really cool in dark blue and they give the cave a sort of "bare-bones" appeal. It's not there to look pretty but rather get the job done. One thing I forgot to mention earlier is the triangular plate used as a platform, the middle is smooth rather then studded which is interesting. Overall it's a pretty simple section of the build.

review_036.jpg

The two modules connect to give the cave a cool overlap feeling. They kind of morph into one another to really get a sense of level and compactness which is pretty cool.

review_037.jpg

Contents of bag three! Some really cool pieces here.

review_038.jpg

Pieces of interest include a lot of cool Trans-light blue pieces as well as a red phone and some handcuffs.

review_039.jpg

The assembly requires you to spruce up the platform built in the previous bag. I like this because It allows you to build it in the way Bruce would build the Batcave, start with the platforms then add in all the fancy doo-dads.

review_041.jpg

Some really cool stuff going on here! The transformation chamber is complete and looks rather cool, and the Bat-gear wall is awesomely done, the vibrant yellow really helps it stand out. The trans blue lights also add a nice touch to the platform.

review_043.jpg

Bag 4 allows us to build the secret garage doors as well as the platform for the main computer.

review_044.jpg

Not a lot of interesting pieces here, but these are the few that caught my eye. The new Hinge pieces were unnecessary but a nice addition to the set.

review_046.jpg

review_047.jpg

review_048.jpg

Assembled it looks pretty good! The BURPs hiding behind the support beams add a nice touch and the doors look clean and clear and under control ( :tongue: ) There is no cool function to open them though, only to little handles for you to grab and pull while making cool electronic noises with your mouth. The cross hatched wall pieces look really nice though.

review_050.jpg

The final bag has us finishing the details on the Main section.

review_051.jpg

There is a very good spread of detailed pieces here and there that will be very useful in mocs.

review_052.jpg

Pieces of interest include the printed Bat-logo dish :wub: ! the trans clear wall piece? And assorted pieces in a lovely shade of dark blue.

review_054.jpg

The final looks really good altogether!

review_056.jpg

Finally the set comes together perfectly! It looks really good altogether as one! So much action going on *oh2*

review_057.jpg

Robin is overlooking the battle next to the bat computer, apparently it is in stand-by mode. The grapple gun is pretty cool but not very functional.

review_058.jpg

Bruce Wayne is ready to fly down to the cave while changing into the Bat-suit! How exciting! I don't really understand while the emergency phone is already in the cave though *huh*

review_059.jpg

Tah-Dah! Batman is ready for action.. well, at least after he walks all the way back upstairs to the armoury.

review_062.jpg

review_063.jpg

review_064.jpg

Strictly Business!

Bruce Wayne is a very lovely figure, he has back printing that is a nice attention to detail. Some may say he looks a bit to much like Clark Kent though. Bruce and Clark look very similar in the comics though so It's no big deal. Lex and Bruce are the two "suits" to come out of the theme. I think they work well together (the suits I mean)

review_065.jpg

review_067.jpg

Batman and Robin are pretty standard, they both have back printing and double sided faces. I really like both of them! They're ready to take on crime! :wub:

review_069.jpg

review_070.jpg

review_071.jpg

Harley and Ivy! :wub:

Poison Ivy is an all new beautiful figure! Front and back printing, as well as leg printing and hair printing! Shes truly a great fig that is much better then her older counter-part. Her angry expression is also perfect!

review_072.jpg

review_073.jpg

review_074.jpg

The Dark Knight Rises! 2012

The last figure is Bane! He looks great, I'm not sure if which version I like better, the newer one or the older one. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Either way he is a great figure. Front and back muscle printing. You can even see scars on his skin in the back printing which is great attention to detail. The last picture is of him and his counterpart in the upcoming Batman movie.

Thats it for the review, now for my final thoughts.

Price 8/10 Although the price is a bit steep, most things in this set are completely new. So it balances quite nicely

Parts 10/10 Lots of new and interesting parts in cool colours. I can see a lot of future use.

Minifigures 9/10 So excited to use these guys in upcoming mocs. Everything is just perfect. Only thing missing was Alfred

Playabilty 10/10 Lots of action going on, and lots of different functions to playaround with. There is also a lot you can do to expand the modules.

Overall 9.7/10 I'm very happy with this purchase. I think that this is a must-have for any Bat-fans collection! :grin:

review_061.jpg

"I've got you now Batman!!"

Cheers, Sok117

Great job. Thanks for the review. I was really wondering when someone was going to finally do a review of this set. Sorry about your stickers, it really bothers me when they're all bent up and creased coming right out of the box.

Thank you for that nice review. :classic:

I happen to own this set, so I could add something to what you have already said. And I'm afraid I can't really agree on every account with you. But I'll leave it for future, should I pull myself myself together and review it one day. :classic:

Thanks again!

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Brilliant review. You really covered the set well. Your pictures are great, too. Well done!

Seriously only the 3rd reply!?

Good review of the DC flagship set(at least in terms of pricepoint). I have all the sets in the wave and I have very mixed feelings on it overall.

I think it's overpriced and looks empty without the batmobile set and an exclusive Robin figure may not have gone amiss with this set either, classic yellow, but I'm sure that'll come. The 5 minifigs are all great but perhaps better villains could have been chosen, but they will hopefully appear next wave. Bane has and always will be a weak character and I'm struggling to see how Nolan will flesh him out but I'm guessing thats why he is here.

Away from the negative it is a set that lends itself well to modding and adding a lazy susan turntable for the Batmobile which fits perfectly through the double doors and a launch pad mount can also be added for the Batwing. When everything is added the whole things looks so much more complete.

Hope the review gets the traffic it deserves :thumbup:

Seriously only the 3rd reply!?

Good review of the DC flagship set(at least in terms of pricepoint). I have all the sets in the wave and I have very mixed feelings on it overall.

I think it's overpriced and looks empty without the batmobile set and an exclusive Robin figure may not have gone amiss with this set either, classic yellow, but I'm sure that'll come. The 5 minifigs are all great but perhaps better villains could have been chosen, but they will hopefully appear next wave. Bane has and always will be a weak character and I'm struggling to see how Nolan will flesh him out but I'm guessing thats why he is here.

Away from the negative it is a set that lends itself well to modding and adding a lazy susan turntable for the Batmobile which fits perfectly through the double doors and a launch pad mount can also be added for the Batwing. When everything is added the whole things looks so much more complete.

Hope the review gets the traffic it deserves :thumbup:

I definitely agree with the idea of adding the Batwing mount and how the other sets compliment this one nicely. I look forward to seeing the mods people come up with for the Superheroes sets. I'm contemplating adding a trophy room to this with the new Dino T-Rex as the centerpiece. Great review all around though.

Thank you for making this nice review. :thumbup:

That is real shame about those crumpled instructions and stickers. :cry_sad: I believe the cardboard backing is for sets over a 1000 pieces in the US(?). Then again who knows. :grin:

They did make this set (and whole series) more lighter or "campy" which I don't think I really like that much. However there are some nice points such as the command center platform and quick change feature. I also think the Bat-Gear is lacking, they need to go back to having a little accessory pack (similar to what ARC troopers get in SW) in the large sets. The little drill Bane has is hilarious. :laugh: The Bat-Cycle is ok, I would prefer a Bat-pod rendition.

As for the minifigs, I don't like the "cheek bones" on Bruce Wayne (or on Superman, Lex Luthor or Black Widow for that matter). :sceptic: However I think he is still a nice fig to get. The rest are very nice. However the lack of Alfred is disappointing.

Overall I would rate this set 6.5/10.

Thanks for the review of the new Batcave 'sok117', this was the first set I brought of the 2012 SH theme.....I :wub: it, a fun set to build with cool play features. :grin:

Toss up between the funhouse and this which is the best.....I cannot decide. :blush:

Bat-brick On Bat-review On 'sok117' ! :grin:

Nice review! :thumbup:

That's strange that you didn't get your instructions and stickers in cardboard, because I did... :look:

Nice review. I don't like how in new sets the people are scattered throughout multiple bags. It is a pain especially when I'm really looking forward to building a cool figure. I really like this set.

Nice review. I don't like how in new sets the people are scattered throughout multiple bags. It is a pain especially when I'm really looking forward to building a cool figure. I really like this set.

what was interesting about the set though was the fact that each bag had a different figure to build except one. The bag missing a figure was just screaming to have an Alfred minifigure in it :cry_sad: .

Thanks for the replies everyone! I hope I can convince others to pick-up this set, you guys won't regret it!

Excellent review, 'sok117'! :sweet:

I absolutely love this set, and I can't wait until I see it on sale... The figures look outstanding, and I love the play function in which Bruce Wayne becomes Batman!

After reading this review, the set definitely looks better than I originally thought. The characters look amazing, and the new batcycle is much better than the Fun House one (even though I actually like the Fun House cycle). But since I own the Fun House set, I won't be getting this set. If they had different Batman/Robin figures, I would be more inclined to pick it up. Since I have those two Heroes and don't care about Bruce Wayne as much, I'll just bricklink Bane and Ivy and forget about the rest of the bricks that I wouldn't have a use for, especially at that price. Maybe, just maybe, if it ever goes on a huge sale, would I consider it.

I am glad you like your copy so much.

Thank you for the review! You covered everything very well. Keep up the good work.

Perhaps this is TLG's way of combating the in-store theft acts of people opening boxes, removing the MiniFig bag (to re-sell them) and sealing box back up an putting back on the store shelf So, I guess it's worth a minor inconvenience if it thwarts those thieves. Also, it may be a new trend in all sets, to encourage building along with un-boxing. I noticed it in some 'other' new sets of a new theme. :wink:

what was interesting about the set though was the fact that each bag had a different figure to build except one. The bag missing a figure was just screaming to have an Alfred minifigure in it :cry_sad: .

Thanks for the replies everyone! I hope I can convince others to pick-up this set, you guys won't regret it!

Thanks for the review sok117, it's always good to see a comparison to previous versions of theme-sets. Interesting mention of Power Miners (drill head) because assembled in your images, the overall structure does look a bit like Power Miners. Even though Harley & Catwoman don't come in the set, it's nice to see them in the images. Reviews and photographing them take a bit of time, so I'm not bothered that you have the parts piled up after dumping out of their respective bags -- since that's how it's boxed, not with pieces organized by color/type.

Sorry about your stickers (which I didn't miss one bit on the build, honestly, yet I know how it is when they are bent and never get completely flat after that) and your comic being folded. That is a mystery -- considering other fans received this set with those shrink-wrapped to cardboard.

When you find the time, I wonder if you could add the BrickLink or Brickset set LINK to your review instead of just the S@H link, because that link will eventually go dead when the product is sold out, whereas the Brickset one will remain for years & years :sweet: Thanks!

Wow, this set looks great! I can't say I prefer the new color scheme to that of the 2006 Batcave set, but I think that the play features and design surpass that of the original set.

(except for the chair)

I can't wait to pick up this set!..wait, how much does it cost? Yowch, seventy bucks. That won't work well with my 'Lego Budget'.

Great Review!

Thanks for the review! I also think I will pick this one up. I was originally going to pass, but I really want those updated Poison Ivy and Bane figures. I'm going to try and incorporate it into the old Batcave. If I time it right, I should be able to get it for about $54.00 at Meijer after employee discount and bonus 15% off credit card day.

Edited by Sirtank

nice rview but i hate the prsions in both version.... why wouldnt they take the crook to jail?

Thank you for the great review sok117! :classic:

Sorry to see that the stickers and the comic were so folded... :cry_sad: It's really bad when this happends. :sadnew:

LEGOfan123

nice rview but i hate the prsions in both version.... why wouldnt they take the crook to jail?

Try using capital letters and watch your spelling please. This is not a chat room.