mortesv

UCS 10221 Mod Episode II: The Modder Strikes Bottom

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

As I found out commenting a recent review of the 10221, the model is a somewhat a controversial subject on this forum. To say that some people dislike it would probably be an understatement :grin: - As a side note, I think the ‘dislike’ group is much louder than the ‘like’ group – at least if you take this poll into account :wink:

But, despite all its flaws, I have found myself drawn to the model – perhaps because I like modding so much - and the 10221 indeed begs for modding.

Thus I planned to mod the model even before I had bought it. The result of the initial mod (Mod Mk 1) can be seen here.

I thought all was good in the world, but then one day I met a guy who goes by the name ‘Aeroeza’ :wub: and I got further inspired. We met while discussing the 10221 in this thread … I felt the spark immediately… :laugh:

We lengthily discussed the angles of the 10221 and how the model could be improved/rebuilt further. Aeroeza ended up making a 3D render based on the studio model to determine its angles and proportions.

6932323465_53598c445b_z.jpg

AT 17,6km in length the Executor is about 5,94km wide. The hull is surprisingly flat… :D

We quickly discovered that some aspects of the model were not feasible in Lego. As also mentioned in another thread by Anio, the overall width of the ship will either be too wide or too narrow using existing Lego wedge bricks – unless you do a voxel model…

Thus using the render as a strict blueprint quickly proved nonsensical. But I could use it as inspiration. So, with Aeroeza’s work, together with a few hi-res photos of the studio model at hand, I made the following “wish list” for (further) modding:

• Extend tail a bit
  • Extend the city a bit
  • Lower the “city”
  • Lower the angle of the top hull
  • Remove the fake bridge – and the minifigs :)
  • Lower the engine section – middle and back engines
  • Lift the middle engines a bit to be in line with the back engines
  • More detail on the engine section – next to the middle engines and the back engines’ “support struts”
  • Redo and tilt the prong between the forward/lower engines (part of the bottom)
  • Remove the flat bottom
  • Extend the tip of the A-frame – needed after removing the flat bottom
  • Create a new bottom and attach it using hinges (hopefully)
  • Tilt the forward (lower) engines to slope with the new bottom/prong
  • “Move” the hangar bay forward – to be more in line with the studio model
  • (keep most Mk 1 modification intact – besides the stepped plate bottom)

I began from the “top” by removing the city and the fake bridge.

6932268015_2e87b9f2be_b.jpg

I removed the sloped tips of the structural “ribs” and some of the plating beneath the city. My initial plan was to remove some of the top spine and place it underneath - but that wouldn’t have solved the problem just “moved” it. I discovered that by simply removing or adding plates I could lower much of the city and engine section.

Now that everything had been lowered I could begin testing my solution for applying the bottom. My idea was simply to use the old “hinge-trick” - to go from studs-on-top to studs pointing down. Furthermore the hinges would also facilitate the slight sloping of the bottom plates. My only problem was that I didn’t want to apply the new bottom to the old – but if I removed the old bottom I wasn’t sure there was anything left to hinge on to. Well, I just had to follow Yoda and simply just ‘do’:

6932335635_f6f33929ab_b.jpg

Removing the bottom… and

6932337379_9a1885c02c_b.jpg

Voila! Seems someone already prepared the A-frame for hinges… hmmm… makes you think…

I quickly fashioned a test plate…

6932333651_fd65ae59e8_b.jpg

... but showing it applied would “spoil” the ending :P

While removing the rest of the bottom I took breaks to dust off my modded ISD - who was feeling a bit jealous …

6786148652_71ff434130_b.jpg

…and extend the tail of the ship by elongating the top plates three studs worth.

6932260907_0c8ca4de73_b.jpg

Afterwards I could begin constructing the bottom plates – suffice to say they went through a “few” iterations, but these are the final ones.

6932231495_d22effc920_b.jpg

The picture below shows how the hinges are applied to the plate. Also, to get the right look, and close a potential gap, I needed one stud more width on each plate. The problem was that it had to be applied to the “center” of the plates – in other words on the “bad” side of the wedge bricks …

Luckily using the “half” hinges – which have hollow studs, I found a feasible way to apply the extra row.

6786111282_df802f920d_b.jpg

I extended the tip of the A-frame a bit and then I could begin to apply the bottom plates… snap, snap, snap…

6932234623_94f5e6f0ac_b.jpg

I tried to match the sloping with Aeroeza’s render - and it should be pretty close.

6932233139_8252098f60_b.jpg

Because of the backmost leg of the model, it made sense to construct the bottom prong between the lower engines separately. The challenge was to line up the angle with that of the lower wings.

6932248059_9d6fa94166_b.jpg

Having the bottom angled I also needed to angle the lower engines. Looking at the studio model it was apparent that the forward/bottom engines follow the same angle as the bottom itself. Thus I needed a way to slope the engines – but without actually lowing them further. Here is the solution I found:

6932249949_6e84cd71ea_b.jpg

Using two 1 stud 1 x 2 plates and…

6786130148_dee8d6f113_b.jpg

… Applying this hinge to the engines…

6786113004_c28ced0bf0_b.jpg

...I was able to angle the engines ever so slightly. In the above pic the extra detail I added is also apparent. Since my mod Mk 1, more detail is added next the middle engines and the support struts have been added to the back engines. Both inspired by the studio model.

Well enough talk – now some more pics:

6932238071_35f5b8f108_b.jpg

6786109046_8a9bbb303a_b.jpg

6786122922_36e7aee237_b.jpg

In the pic above it can be seen that the top angle has been lowered a bit.

6932244409_b3f9d7a583_b.jpg

The slightly longer tail and extended city in focus.

6936288709_846e1989b2_b.jpg

Lastly a profile pic :sweet:

My problem now is that the only space I have for the model is my windowsill. This means I would never actually get to see the bottom (unless I’m lying on the floor – which actually happens surprisingly often…), but knowing it is there gives me peace of mind.

Finally – and most important, thanks to the magnificent Aeroeza for inspiration and assistance! :wink:

So what do you guys think?

EDIT:

As promised, here is a pic of an additional tweak to the engine section:

6940645435_52aafe6d08_b.jpg

The diffence is that the detailing between the center engines now slopes downward to almost meet with the bottom plate - more in line with the real thing thing :tongue:

Look`s very good.

wanted to convert my 10221 already, because I really not like the original variant!

But I really like your conversion very well

If accuracy is they key might want to remember the damn thing is 19,000 meters...

If we can pick and choose which parts of Star Wars are 'real' and what's not I choose to believe the force really was just 'simple tricks and nonsense'

That is a gorgeous mod, it looks so much better than the original. I can't really comment on any technical details, but, I love it. :thumbup:

It's a shame Fallen isn't around :laugh:. This is fantastic, is they any chance of having a scaled comparison between this mod and the render?

It's a shame Fallen isn't around :laugh:. This is fantastic, is they any chance of having a scaled comparison between this mod and the render?

Where is Fallen? I made this for him! :laugh:

Perhaps Aeroeza will make the compariason pic - although his render is orthographic - so he will need to make a new one with perpective for it to make sense :wink:

By the way I am still tweaking some engine parts of the mod - I'll post an additional shot soonish :classic:

And regarding the length of the ship - Aeroeza insists on 17,6km - however it doesn't have any effect on the model - because the proportions are the same :wink:

Where is Fallen? I made this for him! :laugh:

You mean Fallenangel? I think he got Banned, though I'm not sure why.

Holy sh*t, this is an epic MOD. All the extra details really make it that much better. :wub:

You mean Fallenangel? I think he got Banned, though I'm not sure why.

Holy sh*t, this is an epic MOD. All the extra details really make it that much better. :wub:

But why did he get banned? He was so kind and helpful - and a Rebel blogger?

- And, more importantly - who will now post my mods and the blog?!? :tongue::laugh:

But seriously - I'm gonna miss him :sad:

This is a beautiful mod. Nothing more needs to be said. The angles of the bottom hull are perfect. :wub:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

But why did he get banned? He was so kind and helpful - and a Rebel blogger?

- And, more importantly - who will now post my mods and the blog?!? :tongue::laugh:

But seriously - I'm gonna miss him :sad:

I'm not at liberty to discuss the whole thing, but to make a long story short, Fallen felt he could no longer handle a situation and was being repeatedly bothered, and he asked the Staff to ban him.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the whole thing, but to make a long story short, Fallen felt he could no longer handle a situation and was being repeatedly bothered, and he asked the Staff to ban him.

It's a shame :sad:.

By the way I am still tweaking some engine parts of the mod - I'll post an additional shot soonish :classic:

Oh good. I like your engine work :grin:.

This is a beautiful mod. Nothing more needs to be said. The angles of the bottom hull are perfect. :wub:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Woot! I got blogged, thanks :sweet:

And...

I dedicate this Mod to the memory of Fallenangel - may he find happiness whereever he wanders :wub:

Thanks for the nice comments guys! :blush:

Just had another look at the real thing and got inspired to do an additional tweak to the engine section (what else :tongue: ) I have just finished and I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. I hope that you'll be able to tell the difference... :tongue:

Incredible work. Whenever I get around to building my SSD I'll be displaying it up high, so I may steal some of these ideas. :devil:

As promised, here is a pic of an additional tweak to the engine section:

6940645435_52aafe6d08_b.jpg

The diffence is that the detailing between the center engines now slopes downward to almost meet with the bottom plate - more in line with the real thing thing :tongue:

Great modding. The official SSD finally has a bottom! The angle - while it may be an accurate reflection of the original model - is perhaps too subtle to be noticeable in the final profile shot? :wink:

Nonetheless, do you any plan to release a manual for the modifications that you have done - at least the bottom part? Since I have had such a distaste for the flat bottom, I had looked at Anio's SSD, but sourcing the necessary bricks has proved to difficult...

I had looked at Anio's SSD, but sourcing the necessary bricks has proved to difficult...

Having 10030 make things much easier to reproduce my model. :)

Having 10030 make things much easier to reproduce my model. :)

Yes, but even with the 10030, there seems to be a number of rare bricks that are not available in sufficient amount at Bricklink - e.g. the magnets holders :sad:

Yes, but even with the 10030, there seems to be a number of rare bricks that are not available in sufficient amount at Bricklink - e.g. the magnets holders :sad:

Magnets are not a problem if you own 10030.

Great modding. The official SSD finally has a bottom! The angle - while it may be an accurate reflection of the original model - is perhaps too subtle to be noticeable in the final profile shot? :wink:

Nonetheless, do you any plan to release a manual for the modifications that you have done - at least the bottom part? Since I have had such a distaste for the flat bottom, I had looked at Anio's SSD, but sourcing the necessary bricks has proved to difficult...

Thanks :classic: And while it may look subtle in profile it looks much better in real life - since the model now actually looks finished :wink:

I used some time to come up with the final solution - and I modded it almost to a degree where it could be considered a MOC/Mod hybrid :tongue:

But I think the bottom itself could be recreated by looking at my pics. If you need a parts list or some more screens please let me know. I dont think you actually need an actual instruction manual for it. Just remember that the hinges are the key. Some of the parts needed for the new bottom can be taken from the old - you just need a number of extra plates - and hinges :sweet:

Thanks :classic: And while it may look subtle in profile it looks much better in real life - since the model now actually looks finished :wink:

I used some time to come up with the final solution - and I modded it almost to a degree where it could be considered a MOC/Mod hybrid :tongue:

But I think the bottom itself could be recreated by looking at my pics. If you need a parts list or some more screens please let me know. I dont think you actually need an actual instruction manual for it. Just remember that the hinges are the key. Some of the parts needed for the new bottom can be taken from the old - you just need a number of extra plates - and hinges :sweet:

Looking at b4p's post reminded me yet again how ugly the original bottom looks and I must agree the SSD should look MUCH better with your bottom. :classic:

Since this is my tenth post to "qualify" for the pm feature, let me contact you via that method for further enquiries.