JBucy

MOC: Christmas Train and Layout

Hi there, this is my first post but I have been lurking here for quite a while. I am finally ready to share some of my creations. I introduced myself back in January in the Registry but I am just getting around to posting.

I have been building LEGO trains for quite a few years now, some rolling stock and a few diesel engines but this it the first steam engine that has made it past the MLCAD phase.

My kids and I build a small Christmas layout to put under the Christmas tree every year and this year I decided that I needed my own Christmas train instead of using the Holiday Train that I have used for several years. This year we went for a medieval theme. I designed the layout and built the scenery (with the kids help). The kids did the village and all of the detailing.

20111205_210538.jpg

20111205_210645.jpg

20111231_171758.jpg

20111231_172220.jpg

20111231_171434.jpg

20111231_171628.jpg

Thanks and let me know what you think!

John

It's an absolutely lovely train, as is your entire setup. Speaking of which - it's nice to see there's also other guys out there who have just got around to posting images / vids of their Christmas layouts... I'm still in the process of editing together a video of our Christmas layout this year (although that one wasn't made out of LEGO, so it shouldn't be of too much interest here...) :blush:

I see you've used the 9V bogie in the train's tender; did that work well for you in terms of traction for the engine? Last time I tried this kind of setup, the movement of rods and pistons was slightly off so I figured 9V is best left for diesels / electric engines. You seem to have pulled off a very nice model without those sorts of problems there though, so kudos for that! My favourite part has to be the passenger car, it's a real beaut! By the looks of it, the only thing missing there were some passengers, but I guess everyone was busy enjoying the festivities under the tree :) Thanks for sharing!

Great work; I love the train.

You appear to have a box under the layout; what did you use?

The 'snow' looks very effective. :thumbup:

Hi JBucy. I stumbled upon your Christmas Train and Village/Layout on FlickR one day and really enjoyed looking at the pictures (which are quite nice I'll add). I'm glad you decided to join EB and share your fantastic layout with us. It's great that your children helped create the village scenes which are a nice wintery wonderland. The Medievel Market Village buildings look great surrounded by the snow and tracks. The base is quite impressive as well and must have taken a huge amount of bricks.

Thanks for sharing and feel free to share any of your future creations with us. Again, welcome! :thumbup:

EDIT: Oh, and I love the addition of the Blacksmith Shop - great set BTW.

It's an absolutely lovely train, as is your entire setup. Speaking of which - it's nice to see there's also other guys out there who have just got around to posting images / vids of their Christmas layouts... I'm still in the process of editing together a video of our Christmas layout this year (although that one wasn't made out of LEGO, so it shouldn't be of too much interest here...) :blush:

I see you've used the 9V bogie in the train's tender; did that work well for you in terms of traction for the engine? Last time I tried this kind of setup, the movement of rods and pistons was slightly off so I figured 9V is best left for diesels / electric engines. You seem to have pulled off a very nice model without those sorts of problems there though, so kudos for that! My favourite part has to be the passenger car, it's a real beaut! By the looks of it, the only thing missing there were some passengers, but I guess everyone was busy enjoying the festivities under the tree :) Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, and yep, it is amazing how long it can take when life gets in the way! I for one would be interesting in the non-LEGO layout. I love to look at other scales for inspiration!

I did take some video of this layout, so I guess I will have to prepare it and post it too...

I didn't have any problem with traction, although honestly, I didn't run have the train running for very long periods of time to really notice many problems.

Thanks for the comment about the passenger car. For Christmas this year I plan to add a couple more along with a caboose.

Great work; I love the train.

You appear to have a box under the layout; what did you use?

The 'snow' looks very effective. :thumbup:

Thank you, it is the top of a wooden table that the LEGO Train Club that I used to belong to used to use.

Thanks about the snow. I know I spent way too much time placing white bricks and plates everywhere!!

Hi JBucy. I stumbled upon your Christmas Train and Village/Layout on FlickR one day and really enjoyed looking at the pictures (which are quite nice I'll add). I'm glad you decided to join EB and share your fantastic layout with us. It's great that your children helped create the village scenes which are a nice wintery wonderland. The Medievel Market Village buildings look great surrounded by the snow and tracks. The base is quite impressive as well and must have taken a huge amount of bricks.

Thanks for sharing and feel free to share any of your future creations with us. Angain, welcome! :thumbup:

EDIT: Oh, and I love the addition of the Blacksmith Shop - great set BTW.

Yes, thank you. You're comment on Flikr is what finally got me to join!

I used a fair amount of bricks on the base. Most of it is Duplo though :) Around the village I used a lot of 8x8 and 8x16 bricks on Duplo to raise the track.

20111120_153144.jpg

20111120_154843.jpg

Wonderful work JBucy!

The steam locomotive looks great with a very compact design for the piston rods! :thumbup:

The little tender is cute and the wagon highly detailed. :wub:

The entire landscape let me speechless: I love the square with that magnificent old tree, and those thousand pieces! :blush:

Thank you, and yep, it is amazing how long it can take when life gets in the way! I for one would be interesting in the non-LEGO layout. I love to look at other scales for inspiration!

Well in that case, here's the Flickr album with pictures from our Christmas Village. I probably should make a proper presentation of it later on, but first I need to finally edit together that video...

Hope you find something there that inspires you! I love seeing custom-built LEGO Christmas layouts, so I'd be happy to be of any use :sweet:

Great idea.

I had some problem with the location of my train's layout.

Next Xmas I'll know what to do.

It is always nice to see a good steam engine, but I have to say that I do like the carriage. I think a couple more would look good, so maybe next Christmas we will get to see more?

I love the design of those buildings. Your kids did a fantastic job.