Sign in to follow this  
Dakar A

MOC The Blue Hotel

indexed.gif B-M-3D

Hello all!

Dakar here with a Mini modular MOC. It's... The Blue Hotel!

6912734357_6d7655c820_z.jpg

The Blue Hotel 2.0 Front by Dakar A, on Flickr

"Founded in 1910, the blue hotel is the leading hotel service in New Studwell city. Each hotel is built with exactly 3 floors, a standard upheld to the highest points of excelence. Considered 'one of the best locally-based hotel chains' by the New Studwell Times, this hotel is guaranteed to meet and exceed your expectations!"

Number of peices: 198

It is approximately 9 bricks tall and built to the mini modular standard. If you look closely, you can see two flights of stairs inside the central section of the building. The chain is owned by a (now) rich french family that all started with one aspiring young frenchman who emigrated to america with a dream. That is why the french flag is flying out front.

6912737133_bbf3e4437e_z.jpg

The Blue Hotel 2.0 Rear by Dakar A, on Flickr

This is also my entry for the Toys n' Bricks Mini Modulars contest. If you enjoyed it, come on over when the voting happens and vote for it. Or build your own, ince I'm the only entry so far! :laugh:

Microscale on,

Dakar :classic:

Edit 1: I originally had no patio, and the roof had two 1x3 solpes instead of the two 1x2 slopes and 1x2 white tile.

Edited by Dakar A

Awesome! That arch piece is definitely the nicest detail about this, and it's smoothness is a nice advantage compared to a hypothetical full sized version. This is way better than any of the official mini modulars! :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

I agree with the others, great use of that piece. Good luck in the contest, I like the back details too. Perfect window piece and a pretty convincing fountain.

Cool mini-modular 'Dakar', looks French by the flag on the front of the building. :wink:

Keep them coming and Brick On 'Dakar' ! :grin:

This is really lovely! That arched entry is so simple but completely convincing. Good luck on the contest!

Thanks Sonicstarlight! I didn't realise untill I was done, but the front seems to be sub-conciously inspired by your Empire Theatre! :wub:

Awesome! That arch piece is definitely the nicest detail about this, and it's smoothness is a nice advantage compared to a hypothetical full sized version. This is way better than any of the official mini modulars! :thumbup:

Thanks prateek! That's high praise, saying that it's better than the mini modulars. Almost Modular blasphemy! :laugh::devil:

I agree with the others, great use of that piece. Good luck in the contest, I like the back details too. Perfect window piece and a pretty convincing fountain.

Thanks LegoCrazy! I was going to do a pool, but it would have either been too small or to big to fit/look right. So, I thought "Gee, lots of fancier hotels have fountians, and it would look nice!".

Cool mini-modular 'Dakar', looks French by the flag on the front of the building. :wink:

Keep them coming and Brick On 'Dakar' ! :grin:

Merci, L.T.! I had imagined it as being a chain of fancy hotels in New Studwell (Since I already had minifig-scale Studwell City, that will be the name of my micro city.), and it was started by a french emigrant, who came to America and made his fortune. Similar to Shahid Khan, except in an era gone by. The chain is now run by his (The frenchman's) family, who fly the French flag as a reminder of their ancestry. Nice little uplifting backstory, right? :laugh:

Thanks all!

Dakar

Edited by Dakar A

You've used a lot of relatively simply techniques here to really great effect. The arch everyone's talking about and the small clear plates used to make separate panes of glass both look amazing. I'm just sad you didn't have room for that pool. The fountain looks good, but a pool would have been just perfect.

You've used a lot of relatively simply techniques here to really great effect. The arch everyone's talking about and the small clear plates used to make separate panes of glass both look amazing. I'm just sad you didn't have room for that pool. The fountain looks good, but a pool would have been just perfect.

Thanks John! I was going to use either a1x2 plate or a 1x2x2 window with trans-light blue glass. The 1x2 plate would have either been too small, or on the edge of the base, and the window would have been to large, considering that it would have been nearly as tall a one story building in this scale. But, yeah. It would have been so awesome! :cry_sad:

Keep on swimming,Keep on swimming... :laugh:

Dakar

Edited by Dakar A