Sign in to follow this  
ZueriHB

Layout: Harbor Cargo Terminal

2012-02-01%252013.26.35.jpg

OK, I mixed in some other sets and spareparts, but you get the gist of it.

Heavy diesel shunters and cargo ships.

2012-02-01%252012.21.27.jpg2012-02-01%252012.24.58.jpg

Train carriages and trucks can both drive directly to the ships.

2012-02-01%252012.26.34.jpg2012-02-01%252012.26.45.jpg

Of course, my Cargo Railway got a new pod for gravel and other loose cargo.

2012-02-01%252012.30.42.jpg2012-02-01%252012.56.31.jpg

Trains can unload their cargo without any ships present, and can be loaded later.

2012-02-01%252012.57.02.jpg2012-02-01%252013.01.29.jpg

The reverse is also possible. / Removing the covers.

2012-02-01%252013.01.47.jpg2012-02-01%252013.13.03.jpg

Loading trains, like in 3667. / This is no container harbor (yet).

2012-02-01%252012.20.16.jpg2012-02-01%252012.23.07.jpg

Attention Track 2! Cargo Railway passing trough!

Hope you like it, or can get inspiration from it.

Zueri: I always enjoy seeing these types of layouts/scenes because it demonstrates what you can do by combining different sets (for those of us that don't do a lot of MOCing but like to leave official sets intact). The green cargo ship and crane is a perfect addition to your cargo terminal. Some blue baseplates for water would really look good for the harbor.

Nice scene and thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Totally agree. My recent hiatus around New Zealand meant no time but Im also looking at similar setups using many older 12V sets (container loader) combined with 4030 type containers (for the TTX standard) - and im sure 7994 works really well with the 6x18 container standard. However having spent a few days near Auckland docks - there are some mean massive cranes which definitely need to be replicated...

So ZuriHB - hope to see more of these combined sets in the future. Just need to find a way to put some large brown baseplates under to lift the dockside up... unless it is an inspiration for some of the Rhine valley barges (e.g. Basel).

Really Great combination of sets and the wooden decked area looks superb :sweet: but I can't help getting annoyed by the Harbour crane.

Its my (8 year old) daughters fault as she pointed out Lego's design flaw in the set and told me point blank I was not to buy it! (although I have since sneeked one into the house). The problem is that in real harbours ships are moored up and stay still and the cranes move around to unload the ships. The Lego crane is fixed and can only pivot around so I presume that the Lego designers must think that in real life ships are continuously moved around in harbours to allow them to be loaded/unloaded?

Well balanced and thought out without going 'overboard', congratulations

I'm going to have to 'dock' you a few points for such a bad pun

I thought about buying the harbor for a terminal but the reviews were sub-par. I'd rather use city harbor 7994 but it's so dang expensive! This is a fantastic layout and it's making me think twice. The loading bins look great!

This looks good,although I do agree with the crane thing above. I don't think it would be too hard to put it on a small rail though. I seem to recall in the 4.5V days of my youth having a crane mounted on a 4 stud wide section of track made from the straight blue rails. I'm sure somethin like that could be rigged with a bit of poking about for parts on bricklink.

Yes, I like the brown tiled area. It reminds me of the tracks around the harbourside near my home.

Excellent fusion of city and train sets there 'ZueriHB' in the true spirit of Lego. :classic:

My own suggestion would be the off-loading crane was on overhead rails to run to and fro so each hopper can be fill easier. :wink:

Such a design was used in classic town early 80's Public Works Depot.

Brick On ! :classic:

Excellent fusion of city and train sets there 'ZueriHB' in the true spirit of Lego. :classic:

My own suggestion would be the off-loading crane was on overhead rails to run to and fro so each hopper can be fill easier. :wink:

Such a design was used in classic town early 80's Public Works Depot.

Brick On ! :classic:

You referring to this one Works Depot? http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7823-1

This came out in my dark ages and I'd never seen it before, but seeing that and the OPs Harbour scene I'm now on a mission...

You referring to this one Works Depot? http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7823-1

This came out in my dark ages and I'd never seen it before, but seeing that and the OPs Harbour scene I'm now on a mission...

Good and inspirational integration of harbour and train sets!I wished for the container loading crane. I do not want to pay the Jack Pot on Bricklink for this set.

Maybe time for a train and harbour contest on Eurobricks?I am also trying to build a harbour/train layout. The town of Brickdam is inspired by Rotterdam. Enough said time for action.

Good and inspirational integration of harbour and train sets!I wished for the container loading crane. I do not want to pay the Jack Pot on Bricklink for this set.

Maybe time for a train and harbour contest on Eurobricks? I am also trying to build a harbour/train layout.

Not quite yet please...

I will be including Docks in my Layout's Freight Yard but unless the contest runs for a few months I'm nowhere near ready to start on that part of the layout...

But I do agree that would be a great idea for a building contest.

great MOC here, this was my first idea too when I saw the Grain hopper and the Harbor set. Now I just need to pick up both. :laugh:

Awesome terminal 'ZueriHB'. I like the five ballast loaders. I bought a couple extra with the tipper cars to do the same. It's a great layout, is it part or going to be part of a larger layout? Keep up the great work, I think that red flatbed is in a bad place in the 3rd pic default_tong.gifdefault_classic.gif

Really great execution :) I have a similar idea for my future layout... need to find a big boat hull on eBay.

at the moment it's not part of a bigger layout, just some fast mock up for future use.

But the crane had to be put on rails!

2012-02-02%252010.05.23.jpg2012-02-02%252010.05.47.jpg

Had a spare and unassembled cargo crane from 2010's cargo train left over.

EDIT: Did a small trip to the nearest toy store, this happens:

2012-02-02%252014.47.38.jpg

Edited by ZueriHB

Really great execution :) I have a similar idea for my future layout... need to find a big boat hull on eBay.

Bricklink has them from both of the City Harbor/Crane sets.

I wished for the container loading crane. I do not want to pay the Jack Pot on Bricklink for this set.

I bought this set, it's nice but if you just want the crane and dock pieces then you can get them and assemble the crane for much less...

New crane design looks brilliant - very neat and looks right - finishes the scene off nicely (and has given me an idea!)

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Just ordered 7994 to complement the existing setup with a container terminal. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Just ordered 7994 to complement the existing setup with a container terminal. I'll keep you posted.

I really like this setup good work! I'm also planning on getting the new harbor and the 7994 harbor set. Now If I could find a big red lego boat!

I really like this setup good work! I'm also planning on getting the new harbor and the 7994 harbor set. Now If I could find a big red lego boat!

Try 7207 Fire Boat, that comes with a read hull. If you do not want the whole ship, get it on BrickLink.