ZCerberus

Great Gatehouse of Albion

The Great Gatehouse of Albion is the main entrance to the Pearl City.

img_7362.jpg

img_7403.jpg

img_7371.jpg

img_7387.jpg

img_7376.jpg

img_7399.jpg

img_7427.jpg

img_7435.jpg

img_7424.jpg

img_7441.jpg

img_7440.jpg

img_7423.jpg

img_7406.jpg

A few features of note:

1) working portcullis

2) working drawbridge

3) working trebuchet

4) working crane

5) removable levels where possible (no interior to speak of though)

I consciously tried to make this thing a combination of my previous castle work (the watchtower, the farm, the trebuchet, and old gatehouse I made years ago).

The drawbridge seemingly goes to nowhere because there is a bridge that I have not yet built that will continue to the river bank on the other side.

The SNOT water looks more like a coast line than a river though. If I were to fix anything, I would make all the water “regular” blue, though I don’t hate it as it stands now.

It appears a few of your avatars also made it into this MOC. If yours is not here, fear not, it could be making a future appearance in other MOCs!

Stunning.....just stunning

I really like the details that break up the blank wall syndrome.

The combination use of slopes and arches on the front towers is fantastic, as is the double use of arches in the side passageways. (Just using one arch with 1x1 plates seems...hollow, using two arches makes it feel more solid somehow)

The trebuchet is great, especially how you added seats for the plague victims to occupy before they are hurled at your enemy

This creation reminds me of old 8 bit RPGs like dragon warrior or final fantasy.

Wow! This is awesome. I agree about the nice job breaking up the blank walls. And thanks for publishing such nice, detailed pictures. They will come in handy when we need to analyze your defenses! :devil:

Wow! This is awesome. I agree about the nice job breaking up the blank walls. And thanks for publishing such nice, detailed pictures. They will come in handy when we need to analyze your defenses! :devil:

And I thought we were friends!!

Guess we need to go back to the siege workshop and crank out a few more weapons to keep your guild at bay.

I've posted else where but Ill bump this up as it is so nice. You have set the bar pretty high! If I ever built something like this, I would hard pressed to take ever take it apart and my building days would be over as it would use just about every brick I own.

Again well done!

(jaw falls off) that makes what I've planned for the main gatehouse of Gruven look like a farmyard cottage with a whole blown in the middle! Great work fellow Avalonian! it's amazing! I really need to invest in some grey bricks...

And I thought we were friends!!

Guess we need to go back to the siege workshop and crank out a few more weapons to keep your guild at bay.

Ah, but we are the best of friends! However, we southerners are nothing if not prepared. One does not last long in the Parched Lands without learning to be prepared in advance. Plus what if Albion was conquered and we had to come and liberate you?

(jaw falls off) that makes what I've planned for the main gatehouse of Gruven look like a farmyard cottage with a whole blown in the middle! Great work fellow Avalonian! it's amazing! I really need to invest in some grey bricks...

Well, I know this feeling... The gatehouse of Mpya Stedor was planned to be constructed somewhere next month with the current amout of bricks I got, but looking to this, I think I'll have to order some more grey bricks too, otherwise it will look silly compared with this :tongue:

I am not sure what you're plans are with this, but if it was mine, I would keep it intact so I can show it my grandchildren in somewhat 50 years :laugh:

Really impressing! I like the fact that most things can work (crane/trebuchet/gate/...)!!

Plus what if Albion was conquered and we had to come and liberate you?

Hahaha! I didn't know it was a joke until right now!

Inspiring 'ZCerberus' you are with this AWESOME creation with working defences ! :excited:

It's given me a kick in the pants to work on the locksmith shop, wife has been off work after slipping over last week and I have had to help out a bit more.....so not so much building. :blush:

'ZCerberus' thanks for setting the bar at this level, something to aim for....I think I can hit it ! :wink:

Brick On my fellow Avalonia defender.........Avalonia Forever !

Wow, this is really a magnificent building, so large and still so many nice details. I just keep looking at all the photos :oh: . I especially like the tudor style parts of the gate house. Great inspiration!

Wow Z, she is a really beauty!! (My wife looks funny at me now, wonder why!? :laugh: )

The fact that the Great gatehouse is so great in size makes Albion feels really big! The amounts of details you managed to put in your moc is great! I like the use of hinges to make the big wall more intresting!

I´m a bit sad though, my favourite mocs of your (the tudorhouses) have dropped to a second place, this gatehouse is your diamond in your moc crown! Seriously!

Great work Z!!

Edit: Three "wows" after each other is pretty good I think! :wink:

Forgot to mention that I just love the arches under the tudor houses!!

Edited by de Gothia

I can only dream of making something this great.

I really like the shutters on the left tower's top windows, a really nice touch and great for defence.

I would love to see inside, even if it is empty.

This is just stunning...I was snooping through the Avalonia forum last night and saw this, but waited til it was posted here to comment. The might of Avalonia is truly inspiring....as my countrymen stated, we Southerners will have to step it up a bit!

Stunning! I cannot imagine something better than this to represent the whole feel of Albion. Any city with a gatehouse like this is surely mighty.

Amazing stuff. I just can't wait to see more amazing capital builds. I will be posting mine soon. I really like how you put some sig-figs in and I hope to see mine sometime. :)

Keep it up!-K.Kreations

Another really nice build ZCerberus, I am amazed you could find the time for so many great builds, are you doing an embassy too? I especially like the woodworks and the ground level detailing on the city side of the gate. Lovely.

... Silence... I had to stare at this one for a while, I really love it. There is to much to see, great job! I especially, love the woodwork in the towers and how you put the "tudor" style into the walls. Also great idea for rooftiles! :classic:

are you doing an embassy too?

I plan to but I haven't done anything other than merge a couple of baseplates so far.

I guess this is pretty cool.

With the dark greens. The working play action. The water. The suble wall differences. The tower intergration. The window details. The trebrechhe. The roofings. The scaffolding.

You know - if your into that sort of thing.

:blush:

I guess this is pretty cool.

Thanks SI... I bet you think there is a much cooler gatehouse than this somewhere in Canada though :tongue: Sorry SI, I couldn't resist!

My 1 nitpick, You didn't make it bigger. :p

I kid, there is nothing I can find which makes me think it could have been better. I am astounded by its awesomeness, it couldn't have been represented better than this. I love every aspect of this creation, from the trebrechhe to the use of the trans green plates. You have inspired me to attempt something like it at a much smaller scale. I think my favorite feature is the trebrechhe on the wall. Really makes it seem like a border.

Wow, what a ripper! :sweet: Just superb work, so imposing and grand. Incorporating the trebuchet is a masterly touch - and the fact that this beast of a war engine doesn't look too big for the walls just reinforces the epic scale of this gatehouse. :thumbup:

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing your continued build on the other side of the moat! :sweet:

Edited by gabe

Stunning work Z, seriously it's so massive and it looks like it's probably to size as well. I love how the front door is tiny and minifig sized, but tall like a castle would be.

It's truly awesome. :thumbup: :thumbup: