Crocodile

[MOC] Queen Annes Vengeance, 40 gun pirate frigate.

[pid][/pid] 118A

After purchasing the QAR I was inspired to make a more frigate like and realistic ship for Blackbeard , something that would at least somewhat resemble what the historical Queen Anne’s Revenge may have looked like while still retaining some of elements of a POTC style fantasy pirate ships (skulls ,flashy color scheme ect).

This is my first proper MOC since the end of my dark age and the build was great fun. She is build on 5 hull sections is armed with 40 guns, 24 on the gun deck, 2 bow chasers 2 stern chasers, 6 on the quarter deck and 4 on the forecastle as Blackbeard supposedly pierced his ship for 40 guns although the archeological evidence obtained after the discovery of the wreck indicates that these accounts may have been exaggerated according to http://www.qaronline.org/

I relied heavily on Captain Green hairs frigate building and rigging tutorials and Admiral Croissants sail making tutorial so I would like to thank them for making their awesome techniques available to the public. I’m a pretty awful photographer so I apologize for the bad quality of some ofthe photos.

img_0600.jpg

img_0619.jpg

img_0610.jpg

sdc10651.jpg

img_0631.jpg

sdc10661.jpg

sdc10693.jpg

sdc10712.jpg

sdc10749.jpg

sdc10718.jpg

sdc10715.jpg

img_0633.jpg

sdc10712.jpg

sdc10662.jpg

sdc10702.jpg

img_0620.jpg

sdc10731.jpg

sdc10617.jpg

There are more images in this brickshelf folder http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=493352

It looks good, you certainly looked at the variety of tutorials in this forum, i don't like the blue part though, it look a bit bulky, overall it looks very nice, custom sails and rigging :thumbup:

A very nice ship indeed. I much prefer a historical look over that of the POTC one. Well done. I am, however, slightly concerned with your numbering of guns. Now I don't doubt that you're referring to her as a "40 gun frigate" because of the lore she's tied up with, but in point a fact a proper naval vessel of your description would only rate as a 36 gun fifth rate. (those guns used as chasers weren't included in the ship's gun count, on a vessel of this size) I'm not saying the title needs be changed, just wanted to make sure it is clear. Again, great ship!

p.s. You may want to look to setting your brickshelf photos to "public" if you're going to link them for us to peruse. :wink:

Overall it looks really nice :) this is my next project btw, making the historical QAR, as accurate as possible :pir-tongue:

Couple things thought:

There's several images and blueprints from the original design, but after reading a bunch, guess this one is the one...or was the one hehe, you can look it at this link, since I'm at the office ATM and cannot upload anything here..

The blue doesn't looks that bad..pheraps adding some lines in gold would improve the look :O

Nice ship :D

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

The color scheme is due to the fact that for some reason I had a lot of red and blue in my childhood collection so I decide to use it.

Foremast jack is correct stating that my ship wouldn’t count as a 40 gun frigate if it was a regular naval vessel, she might only count as a 34 if you discount the bow chasers, stern chasers and the 2 swivels on poop deck which I forgot to mention in the first post.

I did use the model in the picture linked Yawgmoth as inspiration for the look of my ship more so for the hull than the rigging. My vessel is by no means an exact replica of it however , nor is it particularly historically accurate either.

Awesome, this ship has much more realistic proportions than the POTC one, I love how you still kept some typical details such as the stern window, nice work :pir-classic:

She’s great, I love her. I got exactly what you were going for right away. A historic hull adapted and accented with fantasy elements to give it some movie flare. Would have much rather had Disney/TLG go with a design like yours instead of a redressed Black Pearl. Though I’m sure there is room for small improvements, for my taste you have a fine sea worthy vessel here. I would like to see that red stripe continue to the stern if not around the gallery, looks a bit awkward as is and Yawgmoth has a point, that some gold leaf might tie the color scheme together. On the other hand most pirates would strip all the leaf down and resell it, why leave perfectly good money stuck to the side of the ship, when it could be rum in your belly? A third color instead might work, perhaps more white, like all the bone accents. This all assumes you’re not far beyond the point of taking her apart, however. I know with my string rigging so far, the last thing I want to do is disassemble anything beneath it. There is a curiosity in the one image though; it looks like you’re for mast is bent midway up the lower section. Maybe it’s just an optional illusion, but is this on purpose? Thanks so much for sharing her!

I'm completely unfamiliar with the QAV, but as a generic frigate I love this, the shapes and rigging especially are spot on. :wub_drool: If I ever get to brickbuild my frigate I'll be happy if mine turn out half as good.

Edited by Skipper

The mask looking bent in that picture is due to my bad photography skill I think, although when I was moving the ship to take the photos I may have knocked it out of place slightly.