Sign in to follow this  
cei

REVIEW: 9495 Y-Wing (2012)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

So, as a follow up to my first ever review of 9493 X-Wing, I present to you the new 9495 Y-Wing! This was purchased from Lego retail at Westfield, Stratford City for £49.99.

Name: 9495 Gold Leader's Y-Wing Starfighter

Theme: Star Wars (Episodes IV-VI)

Year: 2012

Pieces: 458

Minifigures: 3

Price: £49.99 RRP

For context, here are some of the previous editions of the Y-Wing (taken from Google)

http://farm4.static....6dcfd7b36_o.jpg - 7658

http://www.setechnic...le/10134/02.JPG - UCS

The front of the box follows the new 2012 guidelines, with Darth Maul in the top right and our new minifigs underneath. The rest of the box is taken up with a shot of the Y-Wing in action, flick-fires a go-go!

dsc00933fu.jpg

The rear highlights the play features, has two action poses and the finished model from a few different angles. Nothing too exciting here - but note the box is designed to have one end flap opened (ie: destroyed) for those who keep any boxes.

dsc00934ao.jpg

Opening the box reveals the DSS, which is thankfully only two large stickers for the engines (and no STAMPs). Three numbered polybags split the build into fuselage, cockpit and engines.

dsc00935tr.jpg

The instructions again have a page of play features towards the back...

dsc00936m.jpg

As shared with the other 2012 sets there is also a list of all the new sets and minifigs. Bizarrely, the Y-Wing is missing from thing, as well as Anakin's ETA-2. Is this because they are both Limited Edition/exclusive sets?

dsc00937sd.jpg

The instructions also have an advert for an online game. I won't even wonder why the Falcon would be fighting Darth Maul's Interceptor...

dsc00938j.jpg

Parts list

dsc00951x.jpg

Random page! Like all Lego sets these days, most steps are very short comprising of a handful of pieces.

dsc00939zz.jpg

Minifig instructions. Is that a new R5 I spy? :wub:

dsc00940xk.jpg

Yes it is! We have three new minifigs in this set - Leia in her ceremonial garb from end of A New Hope, Gold Leader and R5-F7 using the new R5 design. Again, I love the new R5 units as they bring a bit of variety to the endless R2 units, and the printing is superb.

dsc00942m.jpg

dsc00943qu.jpg

Leia also has a reversible head...

dsc00944v.jpg

So this is the end of bag one, with the fuselage basically completed. It's nothing special, with a basic technic frame and block/greebling on top. In a way it's almost like the UCS Y-Wing scaled down... No new pieces either, but the astromech slot is again orientated in the 'wrong' direction - but the box and instructions show you're supposed to turn R5's head round to face the front.

dsc00945l.jpg

End of bag two! Now this is beginning to look a bit more like a Y-Wing. There's a nice use of coloured parts to create the yellow pattern, and the nose cannon are finally repressed underneath the nose cone. The entire cockpit is a flatter shape than the previous System scale Y-Wing (7658), which is a definite plus for accuracy. Overall, it's an improvement.

dsc00949g.jpg

dsc00950zx.jpg

dsc00949g.jpg

End of bag three! This bag is a little tedious as you're doing steps eight times for the engine pylons, but when I realised how clever the connection technique was, I forgave everything. Thankfully the old golf-ball domes on the engines are gone, replace with nice smooth domes, although I do wish the stickers were greebling.

dsc00954f.jpg

dsc00958mz.jpg

Dead Y-Wing :sad: I dislike the blocks we have for landing gear, but that leaves potential for modding... The base is pretty plain, but it's what I was expecting from the set.

dsc00955x.jpg

Left overs

dsc00952sd.jpg

So, the new Y-Wing. Overall, it's not vastly different to previous System scale sets, particularly from the end of the cockpit and backwards. There has been an improvement in greebling, inspired by the UCS Y-Wing (the use of brown piping in particular), and the improvement and existence of pieces such as cheese slopes. The cockpit is much better, with the flatter shape being far more screen-accurate.

I wish the cockpit accurately represented how a Y-Wing should open, rather than just using the X-Wing canopy, but I think this is a pipe dream.

If you own the previous System scale Y-Wing, this may not be worth purchasing (unless you're a completeionist). However, I feel that much like the new X-Wing, this is the best rendition yet from Lego, so if you're without one, it's well worth the buy. The minifigs are nice, new additions to the range, and firmly establish the set in the A New Hope era.

Design: 8/10, improved cockpit but generally much of the same as previous editions

Parts: 7/10, nothing especially new beyond minifigs

Build: 8/10, little bit repetitive for the engine pylons, but otherwise trouble-free and fast. Few stickers.

Minifigs: 8/10, another new R5 unit, new pilot and Leia. 3 is possibly a little mean.

Playability: 9/10, it's definitely fun to swoosh, but the bombs fall out as usual. Flick fires get their usual removal.

Price: 8/10, I was pleasantly pleased about this one, expecting a £59.99 price tag based off other country's prices, but no! It's still pricey though.

Overall: 48/60, a good set but is an evolvement of the line rather than a complete overhaul

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Thanks for the review.

Still not sure if I'll be getting this set...

Thanks for the review! This is the one kit I've been waiting for since I'm only a year out of my dark ages and missed the previous releases.

If you've missed the previous editions, definitely get this one!

Thanks for the review! :wub: Now that I have money since I'm done with Super Heroes, this is near the top of my buy list. I love the little details they can put in without using many pieces. Now I need this set!

Actually, I don't think that head is new. I'm pretty sure it came in the PoP sets. But the sets looks great as do the figs. :wub:

The BTL-S3 (two man Y-wing) was never featured in the OT, and can only be seen in alternate works like the Holiday Special, video games, and other EU. It's unlikely TLG will ever make it, your best bet is to MOC it.

The BTL-S3 (two man Y-wing) was never featured in the OT, and can only be seen in alternate works like the Holiday Special, video games, and other EU. It's unlikely TLG will ever make it, your best bet is to MOC it.

Edited to reflect that. Thanks!

If I'm honest I'm not a fan. Other than a few improvements (Ion canon, brown piping) this seems like a step back from the previous Y-wing. It looks like a hybrid between 7150 and 7658, and slightly unfinished.

I can't believe they've decided to drop the cool brick built engines for two stickers as well.

Edited by simonjedi

Thanks for the review.... I ordered mine on jan 1st ,but lego has a pre-order and should have it by the 30th.. :wub::thumbup: :thumbup:

Many thanks for the review. I have to say that I really like this set. The ''head'' section is shaped well, the engines have about the right size and the position of the nacelle-to-the-body connectors is right. It's well greebled and they even included the copper wires, which is not necessary though, but it stands out great against all the grey. The only part that bothers me somewhat is the cockpit piece - it's transparant at the top which isn't accurate at all. Why not using the same piece as they did in 10134? The cockpit is also a little short for an Y-wing, but as this is also aimed for playability, I'll let this one slide...

As for the minifigures, I think they are great. Okay, the Gold Leader is not that special but still good to have him on board. After all, it's Leia and the new R5-F7 unit where it's all about. Leia is great, and the little astromech droid is just awesome. I've always had a soft spot for those little and useful droids, so I'm glad to see the ''R'' family being extended after only having the regular domes for years. Let's hope they'll make even more of them in the future.

Overall, good set. I'm going to get it together with the TIE-fighter. That is to say, when I've paid my debts and finally have some money availabe. :laugh:

The only part that bothers me somewhat is the cockpit piece - it's transparant at the top which isn't accurate at all. Why not using the same piece as they did in 10134? The cockpit is also a little short for an Y-wing, but as this is also aimed for playability, I'll let this one slide...

10134 uses stickers on the cockpit piece to achieve the effect, so I'm somewhat glad Lego haven't reverted back to that.

10134 uses stickers on the cockpit piece to achieve the effect, so I'm somewhat glad Lego haven't reverted back to that.

Really? I didn't even know that. *huh* But you're right indeed, the only review of this set here on EB proves that. Thanks for correcting me.

Edited by Hollander

Really? I didn't even know that. *huh* But you're right indeed, the only review of this set here on EB proves that. Thanks for correcting me.

It was actually one of things that upset me about it when I built it :(

It was actually one of things that upset me about it when I built it :(

I don't understand why TLG didn't made a printed cockpit piece either. It would made this great Y-wing even accurater. But we should keep in mind that accuracy is not #1 priority at the TLG headquarters... unfortunately.

Great review! Might be time for me to get a new Y-wing :) My old one is from 1999 :) It is nice to see this kind of detailing on a playset. In any case it might be worth getting the set for bricks to modify the UCS model :)

Oh, and Leia looks nice ;)

I'm pretty excited about this release as I too don't have a Y-Wing, or an X-Wing or TIE Fighter, for that matter. I can't wait to add these to my collection!

Nice review; thank you for that!

I´m wondering if these exclusive-sets is going to be on sale in the danish shop´s? I´m rather new in the LEGO-community, somaybe it is af silly qustion...

Thanks for this review cei. :thumbup:

The previous Y-Wing is possibly my favourite LSW system scaled vehicle, but the more I look at this one the more I like it. I think some improvements in shaping have been made and the new R2 unit is a big draw. As a collector of OT minifigs I'm a little disappointed to see Gold Leader sporting the 'generic rebel pilot head' and his helmet print doesn't seem much different from 7658 (which was fine anyway). This has been my first chance to have a good look at a front-on view of ceremonial Leia and despite having more detail on her belt and necklace, I arrogantly think that my custom version is better (more cleaveage you see :laugh: ).

I suspect that one day I will own this set but I certainly won't be paying £50 for it.

Thank you for the review. Even though Y-wing looks a bit "technic-y" for my taste, I bought it anyway few days ago. Since Y-wing is "hard to find" I suppose, I grabbed it anyway lol.

Thanks for the review 'cei', first Leia looks fantastic :classic: , second I'm not sure about the stickers on the side of the engines...might be okay up close and personal I guess. :blush:

The swivel ion-cannons look beefier than the last one....which is still one of my favourite SW sets ever. :sweet:

Though no landing gear.....toss a coin which one is better this or the last Y-wing released ?

Thanks again 'cei' for taking the time to review this set. :classic:

Thanks for the review 'cei', first Leia looks fantastic :classic: , second I'm not sure about the stickers on the side of the engines...might be okay up close and personal I guess. :blush:

The swivel ion-cannons look beefier than the last one....which is still one of my favourite SW sets ever. :sweet:

Though no landing gear.....toss a coin which one is better this or the last Y-wing released ?

Thanks again 'cei' for taking the time to review this set. :classic:

Block build of the old Y-Wing was better - I'm probably going to rip my new one apart and customise the engine blocks to be more along the old style - combined with the new cockpit and fuselage greebling it may be the winner. The ion cannons on the turret are indeed much better than the old, despite the lack of up/down movement.

Thanks for the review. If I were to purchase this set, I would most likely due so for the quality minifigures and neat parts. While the model itself does sport one good improvement (a nice, roomy cockpit :thumbup:) I find it too poorly designed for display. Among other things, I find the fact that the droid socket protrudes from the underside of the ship hilarious.

To say that the new head is “far more screen-accurate” is a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. There's definitely prominent sloping on the head, and while the lack of topside curvature is an improvement, stepped plates don't quite do the angles justice. Then again, I have yet to see anyone do a better job at this size with LEGO, so perhaps it's a moot point.

The ''head'' section is shaped well, the engines have about the right size and the position of the nacelle-to-the-body connectors is right.

I would have to disagree. SNOTing the sides of the head was a good decision, but it was poorly executed, as I've mentioned before. The same could be said for the curved slope at the front, which looks out of place with the stepped plates.

The rectangular structures between the engines and the fuselage are situated too far downwards. See their location relative to the pyramidal slopes in this picture – it should be obvious that said structures should be around a brick higher. I also think they're too thick (the ideal size would probably be about one stud's width, as on Flail's Y-wing), but that's understandable for stability reasons (as well as the fact that they are flush with the underside). And of course it's well-established that 4-wide engines are too small for a Y-wing of this size (especially considering that they were just about perfect for Brickdoctor's MIDI rendition). Actually, the entire aft section of the fuselage just might need trimming down.

Block build of the old Y-Wing was better - I'm probably going to rip my new one apart and customise the engine blocks to be more along the old style - combined with the new cockpit and fuselage greebling it may be the winner. The ion cannons on the turret are indeed much better than the old, despite the lack of up/down movement.

The Y-wing's ion cannons should be fixed forward – there isn't supposed to be any vertical movement . :wink: I suppose some articulation would have increased playability, though.

That reminds me – how secure is the connection? I remember many people annoyed by how the cannons on 7658 and 7150 swiveled wildly while swooshing.