Sign in to follow this  
Iceman792

Octuptarra magna tri-droid

gallery_101_23_281.gif

The tri-droid was an up-scaled version of the smaller octuptarra combat tri-droid. The Techno Union developed the combat version first, re-using the design later for the much larger heavy artillery version of an infantry battle droid.

octuptarra1.png

octuptarra2.png

octuptarra7.png

octuptarra5.png

octuptarra4.png

octuptarra3.png

octuptarra6.png

Big shootout and thanks to BrickDoctor for the superb photo-editing!

I'll say it again, this model has everything - shaping, coloring, detailing, parts usage - but what I really love is the legs. You've used a style of building there that usually looks rather thick and blocky, but you've used it to capture the spindly appearance of the Octuptarra's legs.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

That's really nice Iceman792, I not a fan of the head technique (in general not just this MOC), but I can't think how else to do it at this scale. But I agree with Brickdoctor on the legs, they're fantastic (especialy the feet :grin:).

Perfection is what you have created ' Iceman792 ', and it's hard to capture a sphere with Lego in this scale...still I say you nailed it.

:classic:

I'm not really a fan of this droid, but i think you did a fantastic job creating it..A+ for this one... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Awesome work. This thing is detailed to the bone. The combination of the sphere on top with the detailed and thin legs looks just great. You should indeed put this in a larger scene. Great work overall! :thumbup:

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

tri-droid_08.jpg

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

tri-droid_08.jpg

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.

Pedro I hear what you’re saying! Unfortunately there’s a lot of this type of thing going on around here. Even worse is that it is condoned and allowed in the blog. I hate when people try to insult the intelligence of this community. They may be able to steal your ideas, but they’ll never have your talent! Keep up the good work!

Wow. :sceptic: This is an extraordinarily similar design. I can't see how this isn't a copy in at least some way, the legs are practically identical. But I must say, that's one of the best tri-droids on the forum, pedro. The scale and build is spot-on. :thumbup:

Wow. :sceptic: This is an extraordinarily similar design. I can't see how this isn't a copy in at least some way, the legs are practically identical. But I must say, that's one of the best tri-droids on the forum, pedro. The scale and build is spot-on. :thumbup:

Absolutely agree!

Pedro I hear what you’re saying! Unfortunately there’s a lot of this type of thing going on around here. Even worse is that it is condoned and allowed in the blog. I hate when people try to insult the intelligence of this community.

Excuse me, but does this really happen as often as you claim? I haven't heard or seen of someone else's work copied here without credit to the original MOCer since someone posted one of Masked Builder's vignettes on another forum (and even that, if I recall correctly, turned out to be a misunderstanding). Anio has said in the past that his Executor was influenced by Lasse's, cavegod's Lambda-class shuttle by dmac's, etc. :sceptic: Could you perhaps give more examples of "this type of thing"?

And 'condoned and allowed in the blog'? Surely you can't mean our blog? (Not to mention that 'condone' and 'allow' basically mean the same thing...)

Edited by Fallenangel

Hey Iceman,

(Snip)

Sorry, but I don't see barely any reseblance between the two, besides perhaps the need of a stand, and that is pretty much impossible to avoid in order to make an accurate Tri-Droid, due to the small feet and large 'head'. The only reason I can see that you think that there is so much similarity is due to the fact that Tri-Droids all look the same. There is almost no similarity between yours and Iceman's besides the fact that the both are Tri-Droids and perhaps both used the same references. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Iceman was 'heavily influenced' by your version. Another striking difference between the two is that yours is obviously based on the RotS version (Grey 'head' with no blue) while his is influenced by the TCW version (Blue on the 'head').

And 'condoned and allowed in the blog'? Surely you can't mean our blog?

I assume that refers to the fact that I blogged and showcased the MOC. I can see how it might seem that way, though I had never seen pedro's MOC before today. :blush:

Sorry, but I don't see barely any reseblance between the two, besides perhaps the need of a stand, and that is pretty much impossible to avoid in order to make an accurate Tri-Droid, due to the small feet and large 'head'. The only reason I can see that you think that there is so much similarity is due to the fact that Tri-Droids all look the same. There is almost no similarity between yours and Iceman's besides the fact that the both are Tri-Droids and perhaps both used the same references. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Iceman was 'heavily influenced' by your version. Another striking difference between the two is that yours is obviously based on the RotS version (Grey 'head' with no blue) while his is influenced by the TCW version (Blue on the 'head').

Nihilus, Iceman has used techniques - some almost identical - to build his Tri Droid that are present in mine. If someone chooses to do this then they should credit the originator - it's only fair. You might not see the simlarities but I do, plain as day.

Your comment that all Tri Droids look the same doesn't even remotely hold water in this instance as every builder's interpretation and approach to buidling an MOC is completely different, resulting in a creation that bears their a very specific method of construction. Search for LEGO Tri Droid online and you'll find numerous versions that look distinctly different (and some very cool ones at that).

The design of the legs especialy the feet and the top joints are almost the same as pedro's (incidentally yours is fantastic pedro :sweet:), the head however is entirely new, and parts of the legs have been changes. It is probably heavily influenced by pedro's but without ,as he said, any credit. However if you have just come across images on the 'net with no name it could be difficult to attribute influence correctly.

Nihilus, Iceman has used techniques - some almost identical - to build his Tri Droid that are present in mine. If someone chooses to do this then they should credit the originator - it's only fair. You might not see the simlarities but I do, plain as day.

Your comment that all Tri Droids look the same doesn't even remotely hold water in this instance as every builder's interpretation and approach to buidling an MOC is completely different, resulting in a creation that bears their a very specific method of construction. Search for LEGO Tri Droid online and you'll find numerous versions that look distinctly different (and some very cool ones at that).

Not exactly. I agree with the 'no builder's style is the same' point, but there is no reason to say that someone is copying or is heavily influenced by your MOC if they used some of your techniques (Which they very well might have come up with on their own, I might add) and the rest of the MOC bears absolutely no or very slight similarity to yours. The head of this is very, very different than yours (Larger, and made from 1 X 2 With One Knob pieces instead of made with a Lowell Sphere and some plates, cheese slopes and tiles), as are the feet and legs (The legs are longer, and slightly more detailed on Iceman's MOC). Also, just since Iceman used SNOT on the legs and you did as well, does that make Iceman's MOC a copy? Because that's basically what you are saying.

Not exactly. I agree with the 'no builder's style is the same' point, but there is no reason to say that someone is copying or is heavily influenced by your MOC if they used some of your techniques (Which they very well might have come up with on their own, I might add) and the rest of the MOC bears absolutely no or very slight similarity to yours. The head of this is very, very different than yours (Larger, and made from 1 X 2 With One Knob pieces instead of made with a Lowell Sphere and some plates, cheese slopes and tiles), as are the feet and legs (The legs are longer, and slightly more detailed on Iceman's MOC). Also, just since Iceman used SNOT on the legs and you did as well, does that make Iceman's MOC a copy? Because that's basically what you are saying.

I agree with you, Nihilus. You could look at any SW MOC and say that it was copied from somewhere. Frankly, you could say that about ANY MOC. :sceptic:

I agree with you, Nihilus. You could look at any SW MOC and say that it was copied from somewhere. Frankly, you could say that about ANY MOC. :sceptic:

There are certain instances where major similarities exist in such a way as to be uncanny. Like this one.

For the record, I don't feel there's enough information available to determine whether or not Iceman792 has 'copied' pedro's creation, but I can certainly see why pedro might think so. I can also see that certain unrelated parties are brashly putting in their two cents without knowing all the facts thinking they're entitled to this sort of thing. :thumbdown:

Several of the posts here come across to me as nesciently dismissive. To all those making inadvertent judgments - how many of you have tried to build a tri-droid? How many different LEGO renditions of tri-droids have you seen, and how well are you able to judge the worth of each of the decisions made in representation? How well do either of you know pedro or Iceman792?

Edited by Fallenangel

Oh, this is ridiculous.

Pedro, with all due respect, both of your were "copied" from the Clone Wars. It's not Iceman's fault that he needed a stand. The model was probably unsteady without it. Second, maybe it is just coincidence that he did some designs of his the same way you did yours. If those are the best pieces that could be used, than he used them. I guess only Iceman can answer whether or not he copied it.