dho7622u

Review: Friends: 3936 Emma's Design Studio

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So, on a lark, I picked up the new Friends set: Emma's Design Studio. As a designer myself, I was interested in what they determined what Emma would need to start her own business.

I guess my first question is: How old are these girls supposed to be? Are they old enough to work? Are these occupations fantasies? Or are they supposed to be teens? Should we call DCI?

Never the less, TLG has done a nice job in creating a great set with some playability and exciting details.

The set looks exactly like the box photo. It seems to have all the required elements:

-a cutting table with an attached ruler, lamp (which I really like), obligatory flowers

-a desk table with stool for use of the laptop

-a cupboard for fabric storage

-a step ladder/ stair

-a design board

-an MP3 tile, camera, laptop, brush, coffee cup and the weird burger thing

6645308609_4d25d40c29_z.jpg

IMG_2709 by dho7622u, on Flickr

Over all, the pieces have nice detail and interesting colour combinations. The Cutting table is a nice size if not a little high, but i guess the step unit is useful here! The ruler is connected with a stud

The drawer unit is for fabric storage, I assume. The set includes 4 1x2 tiles that are supposed to be bolts of fabric, I guess. The brush for brushing your hair…cause that is what designers do.

The design board is nice, but wish that the printed matter were stickers and not stamped bricks/plates/tiles.

The colour selection is great and really have been looking forward to those purple 1x2s…6 OF THEM!

6645308943_90dffd4276_z.jpg

IMG_2711 by dho7622u, on Flickr

So here is an inventory of the pieces. The build was easy and the set comes with a lot of great shapes and colours. Certainly a great starter set.

The one bummer is that EMMA doesn't have a sewing machine!

So I made her one. It was her Grandmother's, hence the reason it is black and not bright like her other things (now EMMA, you can't have everything new!).

6645309619_c2d8f028df_z.jpg

IMG_2717 by dho7622u, on Flickr

The EMMA figure is nice, though a bit smaller in hand than it seems. The one intersecting thing is the hair….it is very squishy: almost a different type of plastic. But I did try it on a few different "Traditional" minifigs and it looks great.

enjoy (and did I mention that I love that lamp?)

david

Edited by Rick
Indexed

Thanks for another look at this set 'dho7622u' plus your added MOC sewing machine....excellent designing...neat cotton spool - this is one heck of an overlocker eh ? :laugh:

Now build the studio it's self 'dho7622u'.....Thanks for doing your review and Brick On Review On ! :classic:

Thanks for another look at this set 'dho7622u' plus your added MOC sewing machine....excellent designing...neat cotton spool - this is one heck of an overlocker eh ? :laugh:

Now build the studio it's self 'dho7622u'.....Thanks for doing your review and Brick On Review On ! :classic:

Thanks! Will do!

david

lol, man do these sets have quite a few useful pieces. Nice job on the review, I appreciate the shot with all the pieces, gives you an idea how well they seem to pack these sets with handy pieces. I also love how quickly this theme is getting reviewed, lol!

Nice job on the review and sewing machine. Is that a green hamburger on her desk with the laptop?

Thanks for the review, David aka dho7622u! I like the shot with all the bricks inlcuded. And your sewing machine is a nice touch. All Emma needs is to add some pinkish cotton and it blends in with the other (friendly) colours. With all these Friends reviews, I can't wait to get a set or two myself. Looks like the non-UK part of Europe is a bit behind on Friends, they're not even on LEGO page.

Thanks for reviewing this set! I was wondering when someone would get around to it. If I buy any Friends set, it'll probably be this one - when I first saw preliminary pictures I thought it was an interior design/architecture studio, which would have been perfect for me, but it could easily be modded into one. The lack of a sewing machine does seem to be a glaring oversight though, and I would have loved to see how they would make it - there have been quite a few really interesting brick-built accessories in Friends sets so far.

As for that enormous sandwich, I'd say the color suggests an edamame burger - Emma's got good taste!

Thanks for the review. It is another interesting take on things.

I really like the MOC sewing machine. Very clever. I may have to borrow that idea for the Mrs.

These sets do have some interesting pieces for sure. I am seriously considering this set now after reading a few different reviews.

Keep up the good reviews. I'll keep reading them.

Nice job on the review, I appreciate the shot with all the pieces, gives you an idea how well they seem to pack these sets with handy pieces.

Nice job on the review and sewing machine. Is that a green hamburger on her desk with the laptop?

That is all I can figure out....Lettuce?

Thanks for the review, David aka dho7622u! I like the shot with all the bricks inlcuded. And your sewing machine is a nice touch.

Thanks for reviewing this set! I was wondering when someone would get around to it.

As for that enormous sandwich, I'd say the color suggests an edamame burger - Emma's got good taste!

Thanks for the review. It is another interesting take on things.

I really like the MOC sewing machine. Very clever. I may have to borrow that idea for the Mrs.

Thanks all, and steal away!

david

A decent set for parts,

But I can't help but wish this had something else. it's like a hamburger, but all they gave us was the meat, at least a floor would have been nice. Price point would have been higher, sure, but I feel like they should have gone that extra set.

But as with most of these sets, only really interested in the parts

A decent set for parts,

But I can't help but wish this had something else. it's like a hamburger, but all they gave us was the meat, at least a floor would have been nice. Price point would have been higher, sure, but I feel like they should have gone that extra set.

But as with most of these sets, only really interested in the parts

It's more like a hamburger, but all they gave us was the veggies. :tongue:

Anyway, I think it's a very nice set. It has to be remembered that these sets are designed differently from others to appeal to girls. Based on the "Olivia's House" set, I think it's pretty clear that LEGO feels girls are very concerned with interior details. Also, adding a floor could have cut into the buyer's freedom to arrange the shelves and tables around a room as they please. Anything that wasn't meant to be at a sharp 90-degree angle from other objects in the room would have to be modified to be able to swivel somehow. I know that would be very frustrating with a lot of "dollhouse"-style playsets.

Darn, I was going to do this one next!

I also had some concern about the sandwich with no meat in it; even if I were a girl I'm not sure I'd make a habit of eating those. But I guess that's how they stay so thin! Other than that, I think this is a particularly good set.

Good review, and sewing machine, but could you take some more pictures of the set itself?

Nice review, wished there were more pictures. I am pleased that there are no stickers!

I will do, if I do another review!

David

Nice review! Your photo of the parts is a nice touch! Your custom sewing machine was a wonderful idea! I'm building it in pastels to match this theme!

This is a really cute set, and Friends are flying off the shelves around here. Almost all gone after 8 days in ToysRUs.

I picked up this set with 3933 (Olivia's Workshop) today, and built them together. The new colors are fantastic!

It is cool that they gave Emma an occupation as a fashion designer because some adults do make a living doing this, and it makes girls think about what they want to do in the future.

If you have a choice, buy these sets at Lego stores or lego.com or somewhere besides TRU because they charge 12USD. versus 10USD at Lego. I asked TRU if they price matched the local Lego store, and they said no. I was considering Olivia's House (they had one left), but at $81USD, it was $11. higher than Lego's price; and TRU's $10. off any Lego set over $50. did not apply because this set is new.....aaargh!

So I used some of my TRU rewards dollars from shopping there before Christmas, and brought these two sets home almost free. When the rest of the new coupons can be used, I will pick up a couple more of the 5 character sets. I think that 10USD is a stretch for these sets in the US; TRU may be able to get 12. for them in the short run, but I would not pay that.

If you wait a few months, TRU will probably discount these with the other Lego, and you can save a lot of moola. I may end up with all 14 sets because I collect female figs and the colors in these sets are just too cool to miss. Can't wait to build these sets in the rooms of my pastel houses!

Darn, I was going to do this one next!

I also had some concern about the sandwich with no meat in it; even if I were a girl I'm not sure I'd make a habit of eating those. But I guess that's how they stay so thin! Other than that, I think this is a particularly good set.

Being vegetarian is probably more common among girls than guys.

Legogal: AT our Toys R Us, the regular friends sets were $9.99 just like anywhere else. The house was $69.99 and the only price differential I saw was the Treehouse at $17.99

However... I have noticed in the past that Toys R Us jacked up the price of Legos. Its one reason I don't go there unless I have to to buy Legos.

As for flying off the shelves: I'd agree. On jan 1/2, I could find Friends everywhere I went. Now I go and there are sets completely GONE. The treehouse is hard to find anywhere. Stephanie's convertible was gone in one store. The workshop in another. The two smallest sets are wiped off the shelves most places.

Edited by Sarah

My dear dho7622u, it seems GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! I created a studio for Emma done " LEGO Style" I wanted to add a sewing machine, I had such a hard time keeping it in scale. that is until I saw Andreas Grogel's EMERALD HOUSE in which he gave you credit (sorry I didn't take note of it), the trouble maker part was the 1x1 plate with lamp holder! I was happy! I went to the High School of Art & Design in Manhattan and F.I.T. I was a theatrical costume design major. My mother was a seamstress in a sweatshop and watching the women sew was my inspiration for studying clothing construction. This is a link to his MOCpage MOC: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/311260 and then please come to my MOCpages site and see I not only gave you credit but also showed your photo that started the ball rolling! Mine is: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/307492 I hope you enjoy both of them! Now if I can only figure out how to display my work here!?! Nickpost-9232-133166625089.jpg

So, is the general consensus that the Krabby-Patty thing is a sandwich of some sort? My three year old wanted to know. And her grandmother and aunt didn't think it was a sandwich.

Steve

So, is the general consensus that the Krabby-Patty thing is a sandwich of some sort? My three year old wanted to know. And her grandmother and aunt didn't think it was a sandwich.

Steve

My daughter thought it was a gherkin sandwich. Swap the 1x1 green rounds for brown and it looks a lot better!