Sign in to follow this  
de Gothia

Greine Heulfryn

My dear Uncle de Gothia!

Our embassy, Greine Heulfryn in Kaliphin, was yesterday overwhlemed by a giant sand storm. It coverd all of our little land in a thick layer of sand and dust. Our workers have been bust all morning cleaning the Embassy from sand. We haven´t seen rain in many months but my Kaliphin friends says that it will come on the next full moon. I hope they are right, our well has soon dried out. The wadi outside our embassy is now complety out of water.

Despite this sun, drought and sand the caravans keep coming in a steady flow and fills our warehouse with silk, cotton, figs and your favourite fruit grapes! The Kaliphins are very friendly and keen to know about our green and lush Avalonia.

Avalonia, how I miss our great Guild. And Benoic of course! I miss the sound of rippling of the Avonmora, the grass under my feets and the sound of the wind in the trees. Soon I´ve been here for five years as you commanded me Uncle! I´ve learned the skills of trading as well as fighting as the Kaliphins. They are sure skillfull in their art of war! Soon I will be coming home to you and Benoic to be your right hand!

Love

Quinn

6619447923_dc9d037c07.jpg

Avalonian Embassy in Kaliphin by de Gothia, on Flickr

Sign: You are now entering Avalonian land. You are under the protection of Avalonian laws.

6619456361_f3d1d2ecce.jpg

Quinn

6619458207_0229cc7c4f.jpg

6619455061_b599939863.jpg

6619453357_25e4f2d818.jpg

C&C welcome!

Edited by de Gothia

Man, I really like your style, and this moc is no exception from this rule. So many nice details and such lovely structures. I especially like the round tower. For me this is one of the best round towers I've seen so far. Great Job!!

Well done de Gothia! the detail around the windows is great and I am a sucker for round towers. the details are nice and it looks like a busy place. I also really like the letter you wrote as a back story. Great idea!

Guess I should start on my Embassy soon!

Thanks guys! I´m glad you like it!

I´m really happy with the dried up riverbed! There is some water under the bridge though so I guess Quinn didn´t see that! :tongue:

Kabel: Oh, thanks! That was very kind! This round tower is the only one I can build with my bricks. I would love to build a round tower with only plates!

Edited by de Gothia

Nice embassy ! Another great build from you! I really like the round tower, and the arches on the inside of the building (the use of the golden cups is a nice touch).

I really like the elements inside of this build, the city really feels alive, something I struggle with replicating in my mocs.

I like this photo the best and you didn't even use it!!

6619454275_56237e1f59.jpg

Good work on the round tower. I second Silver.Smith's feeling that this town feels alive. There a lot of fine details here, so I encourage everyone to go to the Flickr stream.

One thing I might try to do a little differently... the MOC is great, but I don't think you captured it quite as nicely as you could have with the angles you used. I think a couple of shots of the entire MOC with the camera up a bit higher could help us pick out more details at once. The straight on shots for example prevents us from seeing the river bed and and the top of the walls in the same shot. I think a better photo angle and this MOC would really shine!

Thanks for the kind words!

Z: Thanks to you I did the headquarter two studs out to break out of the box! :wink::classic:

You are right about the angels. unfortunately my photo tent is to small for Mocs at this size and height so my table is visible at the corners... The reason I didn´t use the photo that you linked to is that I feel that it´s to "flat" to the viewer.. Here is another shot I took a few minutes ago... And I really like your honesty! :classic:

6627253557_8a84a4f325.jpg

Edited by de Gothia

Another awesome build from you De Gothia! I like pretty much everything about this MOC, especially the round tower's windows

You are right about the angels. unfortunately my photo tent is to small for Mocs at this size and height so my table is visible at the corners... The reason I didn´t use the photo that you linked to is that I feel that it´s to "flat" to the viewer.. Here is another shot I took a few minutes ago... And I really like your honesty! :classic:

Yeah, I struggle with photos a bit as well. The lighting, the angles, keeping it from being blurry... I guess we can't all be brickdoctors!!

Even still, this last photo is sooooo much better. You can get a full feel of the MOC from it and I think it takes the MOC up a couple of notches. It feels very sturdy to me and you did a great job (as usual) of keeping the walls from looking like a giant bluish gray blob. I like the round tower as well. Very nicely done! Alright Avalonians, de Gothia has set the bar again, go out and try to match him!

This is a really nice build de Gothia. You have done a superb job on texturing the walls given the shape, and the wadi is very nicely detailed. I like this story too, and I am glad your emissaries have made good friends in Kaiphlin. The rains will be short but very intense when they come, and then the flowers will bloom.

The activity in the figures is excellent too, like the loading of the cart.

This is a really nice embassy, for me it highlights the challenge in this build is in the plot. I think being asked to build a fortified structure to 48x48 invites a square courtyard/castle shape like this one - but that then limits one`s ability to take effective shots of the inside, particularly if there are multiple heights. Maybe a hinged structure is the best solution? de Gothia, as you have completed your embassy, what were your thoughts when you considered the shape please?

:classic:

Yeah, I struggle with photos a bit as well. The lighting, the angles, keeping it from being blurry... I guess we can't all be brickdoctors!!

Even still, this last photo is sooooo much better. You can get a full feel of the MOC from it and I think it takes the MOC up a couple of notches. It feels very sturdy to me and you did a great job (as usual) of keeping the walls from looking like a giant bluish gray blob. I like the round tower as well. Very nicely done! Alright Avalonians, de Gothia has set the bar again, go out and try to match him!

Thanks Z! And you are right, the new angle is much better!

...Maybe a hinged structure is the best solution? de Gothia, as you have completed your embassy, what were your thoughts when you considered the shape please?

:classic:

That is a very good idea Robuko! I didn´t think of that until you mention it and of course it would be much more easy to photograph if you hinged one/two of the walls. A great tip that I will carry in my MOC backpack when I do my next mocs!

And I will try to step out of my "comfort zone" when it comes to building larger mocs. I always tend to make them rather boxy.. :blush:

It's really nice. :thumbup: I love your figure's. One thing I think you can do is put some 1x4 tiles on the red roofs or maybe even cheese wedges.

I would love to put some tiles or cheese slopses on the red roofs but I don´t have any of them in red... :look:

Wow, you're certainly settling the pace and standards for the embassies to follow! :thumbup: I love the tiny stretch of landscaping out the front of the structure, it does heaps to indicate the feel of the surrounding environment. The windows on the round tower are rather beautiful as well, and i love the bustling courtyard. :wub: Well done!

Great build! It surely looks safe for your people in an foreign country. I like the inside the most, lots of action and the onrnamentation of the windows is really good! :classic:

Thanks Z! And you are right, the new angle is much better!

That is a very good idea Robuko! I didn´t think of that until you mention it and of course it would be much more easy to photograph if you hinged one/two of the walls. A great tip that I will carry in my MOC backpack when I do my next mocs!

And I will try to step out of my "comfort zone" when it comes to building larger mocs. I always tend to make them rather boxy.. :blush:

I would love to put some tiles or cheese slopses on the red roofs but I don´t have any of them in red... :look:

Have you tried a different color? It would work.

I don't know how I missed this when you posted it, but I saw Z's reference to your letter and went searching.

I like your use of Kaliphlin as your location, and I think you've done a great job of capturing the locale. I really like the tower, and I love the windows and the stones over your door and window. The letter is a stroke of genius. Great MOC!

I think MikeyB mentioned the letters, I mentioned the cute little dragon sign. Either way, this is a good MOC to bring back up!

deGothia,

I've been around for a long time in the community, from LUGnet to Brickshelf, to Classic Castle, and now Eurobricks.

I must say you have definitely made a place for yourself in the ranks of the Master Builders, like Anthony Sava, Daniel Siskind, Derfel Cadarn, ZCerberus; the list goes on and on.

You capture a sense of life and movement that is really just damn pleasing to look at. Thank you for continuing to inspire, delight, and continually outdo the community, not just our fine Guild.

And, I must agree with Z, the latest shot is a much better interpretation of the scene: we can see more of the life you spent so much time building into this MOC.

I like how your MOC has a story behind it and its written in a letter and everything. Nice idea. I wish I could participate in this challenge, but I don't have the pieces too, nor anyway of getting them. I'll stick to LDraw for now. This guild deal sure does seem like a lot of fun though. :classic: