Sign in to follow this  
Bricksandparts

Armored Assault Tank (LDD MOC)

I put this together yesterday and today and it's finished. A Armored Assault Tank (AAT).

picture1.png

For those of you who don't know what the Armored Assault Tank is, here's a link to wookieepedia. (I expect that you all do, after all this is on the Star-Wars forum...)

LXF File

New:

lddscreenshot612.png

Original:

The model itself is very similar to the actual vehicle...

In some ways, I could say I even got a little carried away.

picture6.png

picture2.png

picture3.png

picture4.png

picture5.png

picture7.png

Very pose-able:

picture8.png

picture9.png

LXF File (Model together)

LXF File (Model apart)

C&C welcome. This is pretty much my first real Star-Wars MOC. Hope you enjoy! :blush:

Edited by Bricksandparts

Nice work. The turret section looks too tall, but other than that, it's a great first Star Wars MOC. :classic:

Nice AAT. I especially like the brickbuilt launch tubes (and the hearty supply of missiles within them :laugh:) - not something I've seen too often. The rounded bit at the front is tricky, but from most angles, your solution using slopes works well. Cockpit detail is great.

A few suggestions:

- There's a great opportunity for greebling in the area under the primary laser cannon. I think removing the corner 45 slopes and reworking that place on your own MOC a bit would greatly improve the overall shaping.

- The primary cannon itself seems a tad too long; try moving the pivot further back such that it sits behind the secondary blasters. (Speaking of which – and this is just a small pet peeve of mine - there are three on either side :wink:).

- Antennae on top are a must! :laugh: I don't recall ever seeing any engine glow on these, though.

Nice AAT. I especially like the brickbuilt launch tubes (and the hearty supply of missiles within them :laugh:) - not something I've seen too often. The rounded bit at the front is tricky, but from most angles, your solution using slopes works well. Cockpit detail is great.

A few suggestions:

- There's a great opportunity for greebling in the area under the primary laser cannon. I think removing the corner 45 slopes and reworking that place on your own MOC a bit would greatly improve the overall shaping.

- The primary cannon itself seems a tad too long; try moving the pivot further back such that it sits behind the secondary blasters. (Speaking of which – and this is just a small pet peeve of mine - there are three on either side :wink:).

- Antennae on top are a must! :laugh: I don't recall ever seeing any engine glow on these, though.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll edit it tomorrow hopefully.

Does anybody have a picture(s) of the back of the AAT? I'd like to make this as close to in the movies as I can. Thanks!

Oh, and I'm almost done with the errors. It has the greebling under the cannon, I have changed the back and made it longer, more like in the schematics and I've added the antenna. Just going to change it here and there and I should have it up tomorrow.

I think removing the corner 45 slopes and reworking that place on your own MOC a bit would greatly improve the overall shaping.

I'm confused exactly what you mean by this. What bricks? What do you mean by "My own MOC"?

First Eurobricks post of the new year, and to help out an MOCer at that... how appropriate. :sweet:

Does anybody have a picture(s) of the back of the AAT? I'd like to make this as close to in the movies as I can. Thanks!

Oh, and I'm almost done with the errors. It has the greebling under the cannon, I have changed the back and made it longer, more like in the schematics and I've added the antenna. Just going to change it here and there and I should have it up tomorrow.

If you want to make it as close to the movies as possible, the schematics are a poor choice of reference. :laugh:Here are some pictures of a studio model, including a few shots of the back. Let me know if you need more.

I'm confused exactly what you mean by this. What bricks? What do you mean by "My own MOC"?

If you'll take a look at these two screencaps, you'll see that the underside of the bit on which the primary laser cannon is mounted is flat (not sure how to put it otherwise) rather than being sloped as on your creation. What I was suggesting was that if you were to remove the two topmost layers of bricks from the hinged wall in back (the ones with these in tan) and focus on having it 'flatter' (and more greebled) the shape of your creation as a whole would be closer to that of the 'real' craft. :classic: Seeing as you've since elongated the back, though, I wouldn't be surprised if this issue had already been fixed.

EDIT: Ah, the screencap links don't work. Go here and see #3404 and #3410.

Edited by fallenangel309

This is a fantastic rendition of the AAT Bricksandparts, I won't comment on the accuracy of it (:tongue:), but I do love the playability of it, with the missile launchers and the angles of articulation, and especialy the cockpit and ramp.

Great AAT. :thumbup: The missile storage immediately reminded me of the intersection picture of the AAT in a book I own; ''incredible intersections'' or something.

Current progress:

LXF File

lddscreenshot607.png

lddscreenshot608.png

Added:

1. Antenna

2. longer back-end

3. underside greebling

4. more solid (less spacing between bricks

5. 3 blasters on side instead of 2

Hope you enjoy! And always looking for suggestions!

Edited by Bricksandparts

Nice improvement.

Have you considered dong the circular portion of the turret in SNOT instead to capture the little bumps on the sides of it?

Nice improvement.

Have you considered dong the circular portion of the turret in SNOT instead to capture the little bumps on the sides of it?

Hmm, that's an Ok idea. I'll go see what I can do...

lddscreenshot609.png

I don't know if it looks too much better. What do you think?

Edited by Bricksandparts

I think those bumps protrude too much and are too skinny. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-wide inverted dishes.

It does look a bit big. Maybe you should try building it without that topmost layer of curved bricks.

lddscreenshot611.png

How's this? I think it looks better. Probably the best I'm gonna get. What do you think about this?

Edited by Bricksandparts

Excellent creation from Episode 1 'Bricksandparts', great detailing and packed with a few clanker's ! :laugh:

LDD On 'Bricksandparts'.....Roger, Roger ! :grin:

Those are some great improvements you've made. :thumbup: The rear is much nicer now. I like the last solution for the bumps as well. :classic:

It does look a bit big. Maybe you should try building it without that topmost layer of curved bricks.

I would keep the current height. I think that the blister under the cannon could instead be a bit more pronounced, such that it appears to hold up the cannon. :wink:

I've added a poll for my next model.

Links to each for more info:

Trade Federation troop carrier: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_Federation_troop_carrier

Vulture droid starfighter: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vulture_droid_starfighter

LM-432 crab droid: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/LM-432_crab_droid

Octuptarra magna tri-droid: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Octuptarra_magna_tri-droid

Sheathipede-class transport shuttle: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sheathipede-class_transport_shuttle