cei

REVIEW: 9493 X-Wing (2012)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

So today I took a trip to the shops, and ended up buying a lot of the new 2012 wave of sets...

dsc00840u.jpg

So, here's the front of the box for the 2012 X-Wing - it's rather large, as usual for Lego, and has Darth Maul in the top corner despite being OT... Inside are 5 numbered bags, the instructions and a small DSS.

dsc00841t.jpg

Parts list

dsc00845gc.jpg

Rear pages with small comic and all the minifigs from this wave.

dsc00846se.jpg

Minifig instruction page

dsc00847z.jpg

The four in their glory. R2-D2 is nothing new, but Luke has his new helmet as seen in the current AT-AT, and we also get two brand-new minifigs - Porkins and R5-D8. Porkins is a great addition to the Rebel pilots, and finally means Luke isn't flying every X-Wing out there, and his helmet has benefited massively from new printing techniques allowing fine details. R5-D8 is probably my favourite out of the set, simply because it's an end to the limitless R2 units we've had since time began.

dsc00848r.jpg

dsc00849f.jpg

Random instruction page

dsc00850iu.jpg

Small mistake on this page, as the technic bar is already in place in Step 8 before it's added again in Step 9...

dsc00851y.jpg

End of Bag 1 - some interesting techniques being used, namely the technic support for the nose, and some upside-down building at the rear. In a change from the older X-wing models we're having to construct the technic gearing for the wings manually, rather than using the single block method of old. Still, the principle is roughly the same, with the two protruding T-shapes acting to lock the S-foils in attack position.

dsc00852t.jpg

Close up of nose construction

dsc00853i.jpg

Close up of upside-down construction and technic gearing

dsc00854qh.jpg

End of Bag 2. Porkins inspects his new X-wing, and thinks even he can fit in the cockpit...though he definitely wants to turn the gravity up...

dsc00856bf.jpg

End of Bags 3 & 4 - wings! Porkins tries out the astromech slot for size...

dsc00858w.jpg

Spares...

dsc00859hi.jpg

Completed X-Wing in her glory

dsc00860y.jpg

dsc00861c.jpg

dsc00862vy.jpg

dsc00863k.jpg

dsc00865o.jpg

So, the immediate question is whether this is the best rendition of the X-Wing yet? In my opinion, yes, Lego have nailed it with this one. It looks sleeker than the last, helped by the detailing around the cockpit, the guns are better and more accurate, the engines now have a sticker to provide some missing detail, and the wings are a massive improvement. The entire opening mechanism is concealed within the wing construction allowing the foils to actually touch when in cruise mode. We get better figures, with more variety than the standard Luke, Han, Leia & Chewie, including R5.

Downsides? The exposed rubber bands at the rear, the very rough movement of the technic components to open/close the wings, clip-on proton torpedoes (but they're not flick-fire, so is that a plus?) and the cost in the UK of £49.99 RRP. Still, I'm happy to accept all those for what is the best system-scale representation of the most iconic fighter of the galaxy.

Design: 9.5/10, slight minus points for exposed rubber bands at rear

Parts: 7/10, nothing especially new

Build: 9/10, some repetition in wings, but generally fast and easy. Only a few stickers, no STAMPs.

Minifigs: 10/10, fantastic new R5 & Porkins, plus a more detailed helmet for Luke

Playability: 10/10, possibly the most swooshable thing ever and includes a landing gear. Moving S-foils.

Price: 7/10, Star Wars Lego is expensive

Overall: 52.5, buy buy buy!

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Thanks for the review cei :thumbup:, I will now get this set to go with the fleet of TIE's I'm going to get :sweet:. It's much better than the previous versions, though no doubt 'Someone' will have something to say about it :grin:. In my opinion the thing that helps this version so much more is the new back, the longer guns and the sleek nose area.

Edited by Mr Man

It's better in some areas than the '06 model, but it leaves a lot to be desired. The rubberbands are still there, the wings still don't fully touch, the droid is now facing the wrong direction...I think if you own the '06 model you have to seriously consider whether at full price it's worth buying this for a slightly better ship, Porkins, and a new droid.

It's better in some areas than the '06 model, but it leaves a lot to be desired. The rubberbands are still there, the wings still don't fully touch, the droid is now facing the wrong direction...I think if you own the '06 model you have to seriously consider whether at full price it's worth buying this for a slightly better ship, Porkins, and a new droid.

The wings touch at the bases, with a length of 5 at the front, 8 at the rear. The rest is two plates. As for the droid...turn the head round? The astromech minifigs have always been too fat anyway, as the legs add way too much thickness.

I'd agree that if you own the '06 model, this one is a slightly harder sell, but it's still the best rendition so far with a better figure selection.

Thanks for the review. I'll be curious to see some side by side pics with the earlier version to compare. I too am disappointed that the rubber bands are still there, or at least, visible. There ought to be some way to better conceal them.

Even though this is practically the same as the least one that was on the shelves for years, why is it that I am probably still going to buy it?

Thanks for the review, you've confirmed for me that it's basically the same.

Expected 'good' with this set and got 'great'

Sets like this justify regular set reissues

Addressed all my annoyances with the '06 version (chunky and that stupid floppy storage bit underneath, grr!)

Just stick this next to the old one and the difference couldn't be clearer - for £49.99 I'll say I got my money's worth and then some

I like the 1x1 tile with red stripe that is added to the 1x4 with 5 red stripes to make Jek's Red Six. Depending on how easy it is to get hold of the 1x1s, we can build some other Red Squadron X-Wings.

I like the 1x1 tile with red stripe that is added to the 1x4 with 5 red stripes to make Jek's Red Six. Depending on how easy it is to get hold of the 1x1s, we can build some other Red Squadron X-Wings.

The 1x1 is unfortunately a sticker :( (so is the 1x4 next to it), so it's going to be pretty hard to get hold of.

Love your review. I particularly love the different pics you took of the X-Wing in hand/action. Even though I have 2 of the older X-Wing sets, I'll definitely be picking this newer one up also.

This is a pretty nice set, the only reason I would get it though would be for the minifigures though. It does look about right.

Nice review! I don't really understand why Lego made the inside of the fighter a rainbow of pieces.

Cost! If you can't see the piece Lego will generally make it in a colour that costs them the least to produce. It's why a lot of sets have this - even the 10030 ISD has a white technic frame, simply because it can't be seen.

Very nice. Even though it looks like the old one, I love the new figures, and the overall look is nicer, even if very subtle. BTW, does this set come with any stickers, or are the pieces printed?

Very nice. Even though it looks like the old one, I love the new figures, and the overall look is nicer, even if very subtle. BTW, does this set come with any stickers, or are the pieces printed?

Sorry, I didn't include the shot of the DSS in the original review as it wasn't really in focus. However, here you go:

dsc00843u.jpg

4x engine intakes

4x wing stripes (1x4)

4x wing stripes (1x1)

Thank you for the review, cei. Having seen the slight differences in construction, I think this is an honest-to-goodness improvement (in accordance with what I've been saying in the 2012 Rumors thread for months now). The worm gear system has been somewhat refined, as has the construction of the nose. Inverted plates in the back deserve a :thumbup:.Great parts selection and minifigure selection as well. The fact that the squadron wing markings are stickers are somewhat bothersome, but seeing as the colors on this don't match up with those of either Red Five or Red Six in the first place I suppose it isn't really worth mentioning.

1195423550187356949molumen_red_approved_stamp.svg.med.png

And I know exactly where those 8-tooth gears would come in useful...

You'd better be prepared to switch a few bricks around - the Red Squadron X-wings have wildly varying paint schemes. :laugh:

I think its a definite improvement over 4502/ 6212. The engines and the laser cannons in particular look a lot better. Despite owning 4502 I will probably pick this up. Its certainly a more drastic improvement over a previous version than some of the recent remakes (Slave 1, Naboo Starfighter just to name a couple).

I also think at £50 it represents surprisingly good value for money. I can't really fathom Lego's pricing policy this year. The X-Wing is the same price as the Tie Fighter despite being obviously a much bigger set. The new X-wing is also only £5 more than 6212 which was released back in 2006. Considering how the latest Slave 1 set was twice the price of its 2006 counterpart, I'd be very happy to pay £50 for this.

Edited by Brinstar

You'd better be prepared to switch a few bricks around - the Red Squadron X-wings have wildly varying paint schemes. :laugh:

Yeh, but none of Lego's colour schemes are accurate anyway.

I also think at £50 it represents surprisingly good value for money. I can't really fathom Lego's pricing policy this year. The X-Wing is the same price as the Tie Fighter despite being obviously a much bigger set. The new X-wing is also only £5 more than 6212 which was released back in 2006. Considering how the latest Slave 1 set was twice the price of its 2006 counterpart, I'd be very happy to pay £50 for this.

Having now built the 2012 TIE Fighter, I agree totally. The TIE is a lower piece count, with simple bricks, and not much to say for it beyond being a good rendition. It's £10 too expensive, or £5 at the very least. The new Y-Wing is apparently going to be £59.99 as well! I'm really looking forward to the UCS B-Wing, but I'm now a bit worried about the price tag it will hold - we've not had a UCS starfighter for a long time...

Sorry, I didn't include the shot of the DSS in the original review as it wasn't really in focus. However, here you go:

4x engine intakes

4x wing stripes (1x4)

4x wing stripes (1x1)

Awe, that's a shame. Those 2x2 tile stickers must be a big pain to line up perfectly at the right angle.

The build is very interesting.

I will download and study it. :)

A great review, and what looks like a pretty nice set...but I think I am going to pass, and Cracklink the new droid.

Fantastic review, thank you very much for sharing! :thumbup:

I'm soooo glad I held back on buying the previous model, since at least in my eyes this is a real improvement. I agree that for owners of the previous model this may not be a must-buy, but for those who don't have a big x-Wing yet, it's a must :wub:.

About the astromech being sideways, what is better, that or only using the head like in some of the Jedi fighters :sceptic:?

Edited by Werlu Ulcur