matt22hew

MOC: HMS GAUNTLET

[pid][/pid] 116C

Hello all,

I want to thank all those who provided feedback during my build. It was an incredibly fun project and resulted in what I believe a very appealing vessel. All the other fine MOC threads I found on this forum were inspirations and I want to thank you all for your hard work on your individiual acomplishments. The last detail to be added will be a clear stick GAUNTLET on the stern.

Here is a link to the "WIP" thread about this build.

My link

The entire build is modular along with various side paneling and the poop deck being easily removable for interior access.

Enjoy

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

This is fantastic, what an amazing ship! :pir-wub:

I love it to see how you've managed to capture some very difficult shapes in such a good way by 'just' using slopes!

The transaction from the broadside to the stern is so smooth, it's awesome. :pir-classic:

This ship will be a serious match for every ship that's afloat in this forum, I also think you deserve an extra pat on the back for completing the ship, as a lot of projects this size are too ambitious and will never make it to completion.

This is a work of art and it certainly rises the bar for shipbuilding in LEGO! :thumbup:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

As promised! Oh, it earned you a title as well... :pir-blush:

Nice big ship! I was amazed at the stocky porportions, nice slope hull. And I fell off my chair in amazing on seeing the modular built side panels and full removable sections. This one needs 2 thumbs up and a pirate hook thrown in as well! Well done and good job, and keep on building!

Very good work! +500 to build credit!

I think the sails and spars might be a bit small for a ship of this size, but that is a minor quibble.

Congrats on the nice ship!

Sweet, you did a great job, I love how the interior is accesable, nice sick bay and galley.

I must say I wasn't very convinced it would work out when I saw the first WIP post but during the build you have improved, considered suggestions, you've kept a dynamic plan.

It turned out great. The straight middle section might not be so good for an accurate shape but you managed to partially compensate that by the bow and stern which are very nicely shaped.

There are more WIP ship-of-the-lines around here but yours has a certain simplicity, you didn't use too many complicated or unsteady techniques and acquired a great deal of playability that way, it is much more than an exhibition model.

Love it all the way :pir-classic:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

This is the first lego vessel I've seen that has the beautiful hull curvature like the real ones did (the corners of the base, how the walls are at an angle and the excellent sculpting at the bow and stern). A broad hull, multiple decks, two story rigging, three masts. This has surpassed the level of being merely a lego model, this is a model that can challenge or even surpass most non-lego model building.

Well done sire, very well done.

Gaetano

I've been waiting to see this WIP completed! This is very impressive 'matt22hew'! The shear size alone is amazing, especially next to the IFS! I love the detailed inside the ship as well. Great job on this build and congratulations on it's completion pirate_classic.gif

She's beautiful !

Well done sir ! Very well done.

By the way, whats with the all yellow (naked ?) woman near the kitchen ?!

This is a fantastic ship :pir-wub: , i've watched it during the WIP and i like it, especcially the modularity and the curving of the ship, like others said this hasn't been seen before with slopes and inverted slopes, i don't like the rigging though but the rest of the shop compensates enourmously :thumbup: .

She's beautiful !

Well done sir ! Very well done.

By the way, whats with the all yellow (naked ?) woman near the kitchen ?!

Ha, originally a possible figure head. Then got short on mini figs

Regarding the rigging, I want to eventually do real string but the plastic will have to suffice for now

Wow! This is the best ship in this magnitude I have ever seen. The details are awesome but the best thing about it is, that it is still in proportion. Really really nice! :pir-oh3:

Wow! That's fantastic, It's so modular! This is definitely up there with my favourite LEGO ship MOC's. I love how you got all the different rooms, like the kitchen and jail

:jollyroger:

Hey all,

The Gauntlet likely will be under going an interior update soon. Thinking about giving her a nice touch of white "paint" through out the upper gun deck and reducing the size of the supports within the decking. Likely to add a capstan and maybe redoing the rigging.

Stay tuned as well as I might also try and take the same basic build and create a uss third rater version looking something like the pic below.

USS Ohio, likely will give her an alternate name however if finished

oUSSOhio650.jpg

Hey everyone, recently purchased a house here in So Cal after a long time looking and finding something both the wife and I liked. Surprisingly she let me put the Gauntlet above the fireplace!

2012-05-18_17-11-26_359.jpg

Also I was looking around for some art and found this at the naval history mueseum here in the states and ordered a 30x40 print which will be hung behind the ship!

h00460k.jpg

This has to be one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen!

When I first saw it I was amezed and then when I saw the pictures of the

interior my jaw litterly dropped to the floor!

Fantastic work!

What a beast! This is totally epic and I am amazed by the sheer size of the thing! For a second, I couldn't believe that tiny ship next to the HMS GAUNTLET was the IFS! :pir_laugh2:

Doesn't the sticker say "Guantlet", not "Gauntlet"...?