gallery_6705_159_78471.jpg

gallery_6705_159_1119.jpg

Set Information

Number: 21102

Name: LEGO Minecraft

Release: June 2012 (?)

Parts: 480

Price: US $34.99

“It’s like interactive LEGO” is a fairly apt way to describe Minecraft, indie developer Mojang’s hit construction game. It’s fitting, then, that there’s some kind of collaboration between the two construction giants is on the cards. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Minecraft LEGO might soon be a reality.

Mojang annoucned today that it was collaborating with fans and the LEGO Group to make the Minecraft LEGO set a reality.

“Seeing LEGO Minecraft sets is also our dream, so we linked to one of the projects. It’s clear to us that there are many creative people with good ideas for this and we want to throw our own hat into the ring and start this project to bring the best LEGO Minecraft builders together,” said the developer. Mojang also pledged that the proceeds of the project would go to an as of yet unamed charity

source http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/4038

post-22825-132313761503.jpg

Edited by dennistrane

As a fan of Minecraft I'm kinda excited about this joint venture. Minecraft has a huge following, as well does Lego. Can't wait to see where this goes.

It’s fitting, then, that there’s some kind of collaboration between the two construction giants is on the cards.

Since this is on Cuusoo, isn't it, in fact, just fan art? I'm not sure this means there's an actual collaboration going on. This is simply a way for people to vote for a possibility of producing a limited edition model. You seem to have linked us to someone's creation that is trying to get support. If there's more to the topic than this, please post it. Otherwise, I will move this to community as it is not an official LEGO project.

Wow, that is very cool. As for the little MOC, it is going to be a pain in the butt to take apart all those plates without a brick separator. :laugh:

I saw this on Notch's Facebook feed. His original ideas were pretty meh, but those were done by SuperMacho (the "nicer" ones). I, for one, don't know how I feel about this. Really, you could make a Minecraft set with a whole bunch of 1x1 bricks. That's really all Minecraft is - a bunch of 1x1 blocks put together to make something bigger...Which is pretty much LEGO. The MOCs are awesome, but an official set wouldn't be very exciting in comparison I don't think.

Welcome to EB, DashCobra. We already have a topic on this. :wink:

Oh, sorry.

I searched before posting but nothing came up so I didn't think that there was a topic on this.

Would a mod please delete this topic?

I'm not a Minecraft user, and personally I don't think those look that great (To me a bunch of blocks stacked up is just rather boring) but I do see the potential for a lot of bricks and plates in colors like brown and green and such, which could be useful.

Lego officially confirmed that this project has gone into the review stage.

Interesting. This could make some really good sets, or it could just be a bit sad...

Edited by Darth Hagrid

This might go in the Special Themes or need to be merged somewhere else and if it does, sorry.

BILLUND, Denmark – A project backed by Minecraft developer Mojang has become the first user-sponsored project to reach the 10,000 vote threshold on the new global version of LEGO® CUUSOO, opening the way for a LEGO set featuring Minecraft to become a reality.

It took the project only 48 hours to gather votes from 10,000 fans of the project from around the world.

“We’re really excited to see the fantastic enthusiasm of the Minecraft community. This is what LEGO CUUSOO is all about, connecting people’s passion to the LEGO brick,” says Paal Smith-Meyer, Head of the LEGO New Business Group. “It is still too early to say whether a Minecraft play set will become a LEGO product as it still needs to go through a review and approval process to ensure it meets our usual LEGO standards, but it is certainly a lot closer.”

A go/no-go decision should be reached within the next few weeks. Assuming it is given a “go,” then development on any new sets will begin. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product, while packaging, instructions, and marketing are developed ready for a production run. This will take several months.

LEGO CUUSOO is an idea collection system that asks the Danish toy manufacturers’ consumers to submit and vote for their favourite ideas for new LEGO products. It can be found at http://lego.cuusoo.com . The site is currently in "open beta" and has been well received by fans and niche interest groups eager to see their ideas become official LEGO products.

CUUSOO, which means 'imagination' or sometimes ‘wish’ in Japanese, has been developed with CUUSOO SYSTEM, a subsidiary of Japan-based Elephant Design that has worked with open innovation and crowd sourcing for more than 10 years.

The LEGO Group has worked with CUUSOO since 2008 on a Japanese site that has attracted hundreds of ideas and seen thousands of votes cast by a 35,000-strong community. Now the time has come to test the concept internationally.

The first Japanese product, the Shinkai 6500 submersible, went on sale in Japan in February 2011. The next Japanese LEGO CUUSOO model will be the Hayabusa unmanned spacecraft launched in the first quarter of next year.

It took the Shinkai 6500, 420 days to reach 1,000 votes in Japan. Hayabusa took 57 days to 1,000. With the launch of the LEGO CUUSOO worldwide site the threshold was raised to 10,000 to reflect the larger audience.

On LEGO CUUSOO, ideas that are supported by enough votes will be examined by a LEGO jury that will check that the models meet LEGO standards of safety and playability and support the LEGO brand. Consumers who have their ideas chosen for production will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product.

In the case of the Minecraft project, Mojang and the collaborators have offered the 1% CUUSOO royalty to a charity of Mojang's choice.

Sounds like we could be getting a licensed supplementary set. Oh joy! :sarcasm:

Threads merged, new info, EDIT!:

Seems I completely misunderstood what it's going to be. LEGO video game similar to minecraft would have been awesome, not so sure about Minecraft turning into LEGO.

...would we get square-y minifigs too? :D

Edited by Nobleman

Considering that we have had a Lord of the Rings thread for months in the Licensed forum, despite there being more or less zero real proof that Lego would have ever even considered such license, shouldn't this topic be removed there? Here at least we know that a license is officially in consideration (or so they say).

Personally I'm not that ecstatic, as I have never played Minecraft and possibilities for a set seem rather dull, except for a good variety of earthy coloured basic bricks (but probably not for a cheap price).

Also, expect to see a lot copycats trying to follow in Minecraft's footsteps. There are surely dozens and dozens of fandoms and communities that could quite easily amass 10,000 voters even with a half-baked model if the thing was organised by the big players instead of some solitary AFOLs.

Edited by Haltiamieli

I am a Minecraft fan, but I kind of don't see how a Minecraft building set would work. I think they should go for collectables, like the different cubes, the mobs, and the tools, as display sets.

Or perhaps just have bulk piece sets with no 'official' models, with the intention that the set can be used to build anything you can possibly think of.

Perhaps these could be themed, so a set for each biome with appropriately coloured bricks, plus a couple of mob minifigures.

I will definitely be interested in seeing where this goes, especially since I am a fan of both LEGO and Minecraft.

I would also like to add that this is probably good publicity for Cuuso. It will mostly be in the Minecraft community, but I'm sure there are plenty of LEGO fans amongst them (like me)

Edited by Matt The Tuba Guy

This is going to be complicated to do, if true. It's too perfect to work properly. :laugh: Perhaps they'll do a 'secondary scale' sort of thing, similar to Modulex. But I'm not too sure on that. A building toy based on a building game... *huh*

I'm no big Minecraft guy, so are there any 'official' builds or anything? I can't them using player-made creations.

I don't really see how this will work, Minecraft and Lego are almost the same thing. Maybe if they made a big bucket of printed 2x2 bricks that look like ores, wood, stone, etc. That might work.

I voted for it on cuusoo anyway, i`m interested what it would turn out like if they make it.

On BrickJournal, Joe Meno wrote a nice article about the Lego Cuusoo Minecraft project. Here is the "preliminary model" pictured there:

20111207-Minecraft-LEGO.jpg

I'm a big fan of minecraft, but...I just don't think this will work. I mean, sure, lego and minecraft are very easy to combine, because minecraft is literally blocks. But the issue is, the sets would be EXPENSIVE. Not only would they have the license markup, but also they would have to include quite a lot of "blocks" more than likely 2x2 bricks, and for them to look anything decent there would have to be a lot of printed ones(Otherwise, the sticker sheets are gonna be bigger than exo forces!) Besides, the real motive for these things would more than likely be the items(tools, potions, items, etc) and the minifigures.

I have a teenage son who loves Minecraft but has never really been into Lego.

I don't get Minecraft's popularity but I love Lego.

So maybe they will find something for both audiences (Lego people and Minecraft people), either way I will be interested to see the outcome (and if there will be any new and awesome new pieces for me).