hjmediastudios

Space Marines!

Ha! Those Ugokins are a brilliant design! Bloody brilliant like everything else in this hypothetical theme! I also adore the shrakes! Now that I've seen that incredible slug styled head I need to have it! It's so great! I mean the colors, the design, the alien-ness, it's superb. At first, I thought the Ugokins were based off of this because of this picture. However, this new design makes me doubt that. The Marines are also great!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Is there some type of base in the works? I suppose a full HQ would be too hard, maybe an outpost. Your vehicle designs are great. I was thinking you could make a modular HQ. Have a hangar, barracks, command and whatever else as individual sets that connect to make a bigger base.

I discovered this project on Cuusoo early on and I was immediately intrigued by it! I supported it, but by time it fell out of my mind...

And now I find out about this whole thread! *oh2*

I must say I'm greatly impressed about the new things you've been constantly adding since I last checked it out on Cuusoo, this is really looking to shape up into something awesome!

Can't wait to get this produced by Lego, but considering how much work you've been putting into this, I say they ought to include you in the process!

Anyway, I agree with the post above; some sort of modular base/outpost would be great!

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this project grow with excitement! :classic:

Is there some type of base in the works? I suppose a full HQ would be too hard, maybe an outpost. Your vehicle designs are great. I was thinking you could make a modular HQ. Have a hangar, barracks, command and whatever else as individual sets that connect to make a bigger base.

There's going to be a big gunship as the centerpiece of the first wave. It's sort of a mobile HQ, but it is modular.

Those aliens look fantastic. If LEGO winds up doing this, I would happily snatch up all of them! I really hope you hit the 10,000 mark. :thumbup:

Something has just struck me about the Ugokin. The face mandibles and the front of the helmet(?) on the Subaltern are very thin. Thus breakable. would you be proposing these are made from a softer plastic like minifig hands? That would make them semi-flexible. The solution to the helmet(?) would be to fill in the gap of that front part. or beef up the size of it. If you think about how small these would actually be I'm sure you'll see my point.

If you intend that the helmet(?) is fused to the head then it's a different matter and this post is redundant.

Keep dropping in here and checking the updates. How can we get Eurobricks behind this?? I'm a castle-buyer mainly but would buy a set like this if it was made.

Would love to see a chunky drop-ship with pilot and marines if that's in the works?

Something has just struck me about the Ugokin. The face mandibles and the front of the helmet(?) on the Subaltern are very thin. Thus breakable. would you be proposing these are made from a softer plastic like minifig hands? That would make them semi-flexible. The solution to the helmet(?) would be to fill in the gap of that front part. or beef up the size of it. If you think about how small these would actually be I'm sure you'll see my point.

If you intend that the helmet(?) is fused to the head then it's a different matter and this post is redundant.

Yeah, I'll be doing some cleanup work on those designs yet. I just wanted to get an initial design out to gauge crowd reaction.

Keep dropping in here and checking the updates. How can we get Eurobricks behind this?? I'm a castle-buyer mainly but would buy a set like this if it was made.

Would love to see a chunky drop-ship with pilot and marines if that's in the works?

One is. Look forward to it within the next two weeks. How to support? Push everyone else to do so and blog like crazy about it.

Just to say, I think this is one of the best Cuusoo ideas currently being presented... I was wondering if the designs are to scale for 3d printing like Mingles did for his Zelda designs? It would be awesome if you sold these online with the material quality of Brickwarriors so we fans didn't have to wait for the long TLG process.:classic:

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Those Ugokin look FANTASTIC! I'm really impressed with your alien design for this series. Totally non-humanoid, which is perfect. You've done a great job translating alien physiology into lego bricks and I would be SOOO happy to add those to my collection. I'm supporting the project and really hope it makes it through. Really, EB should front page this so it can get some due attention.

If possible, could we get some images of the Ugokin heads in detail? I'm curious as to how they connect and if the helmet is molded on.

Those Ugokin look FANTASTIC! I'm really impressed with your alien design for this series. Totally non-humanoid, which is perfect. You've done a great job translating alien physiology into lego bricks and I would be SOOO happy to add those to my collection. I'm supporting the project and really hope it makes it through. Really, EB should front page this so it can get some due attention.

If possible, could we get some images of the Ugokin heads in detail? I'm curious as to how they connect and if the helmet is molded on.

Frontpage? Yes please. default_classic.gif More seriously, I'm preparing some detailed "Autopsy" images of the Ugokins that will show off their structure. The head is one piece that connects to the neck via a standard minifig-hand-graspable rod in the neck and a socket in the head; the helmet/brain thing is attached to a stud on the back of the Ugokin's head. This allows for more types of Ugokins with the same basic head piece.

I was wondering if the designs are to scale for 3d printing like Mingles did for his Zelda designs? It would be awesome if you sold these online with the material quality of Brickwarriors so we fans didn't have to wait for the long TLG process

Surely that would kill any chances of Lego making this. Whether it was an amateur run production or not Lego are looking for something that hasn't been done before aren't they. Something unique.

I know Nick has kind enough to make the computer models available but I think even that's risky. It allows a competitor to get hold of the ideas and produce the sets. If it were me I wouldn't share anything but the screenshots. But it's Nick's call.

Surely that would kill any chances of Lego making this. Whether it was an amateur run production or not Lego are looking for something that hasn't been done before aren't they. Something unique.

I know Nick has kind enough to make the computer models available but I think even that's risky. It allows a competitor to get hold of the ideas and produce the sets. If it were me I wouldn't share anything but the screenshots. But it's Nick's call.

Actually, without sharing the models I wouldn't have put this on Cuusoo at all. I originally just made the Space Marines for fun, and then posted it on Blendswap. I thought I was done with them. Then someone said "These should go on Cuusoo." I thought, Cuusoo? What's Cuusoo? And the rest is history...

If you've read (as I'm sure you have) LEGO's official comments on Cuusoo, I think your chances are better than you might expect. They seem to love the idea, but you still need 10,000 supporters. Get some attention behind it and maybe you can be the grandfather of the next official Space theme.

I love this whole idea being a huge Warhammer 40K fan .. I supported you on CUUSOO a long time ago. But have just become a member of eurobricks. So this is the first time i stumble upon this thread. So great work on all the rendering. Your decals for the minifigs are awesome. Most of your alien designs i like a lot. Cant wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.

Best of luck. MJDesigns aka LEGO Family.

Edited by LEGO Family

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm currently working on the first real high-quality set design; I'll release it here on Friday.

I have been lurking in this thread since you started this project, but haven't said anything because, frankly, I'm speechless. Your designs are gorgeous and I would love for something like this to become the next official Space theme. At the very least, this definitely deserves to be frontpaged. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can't wait for the next update. :cry_happy: Have you made a Space Marine or Ugokin mech yet?

I've already supported this on CUUSOO. I really hope they drop the number of supporters needed for non-licensed themes.

I'm really liking the fact that you made some GOOD-GUY aliens, which LEGO seems reluctant to add to any themes (aside from Star Wars, that is), and I also like the Ugokins... If they had a third arm coming out of their chest, then they would look almost exactly like how David Weber described the Medusans in his Honor Harrington book, On Basilisk Station. :sweet:

Frontpage? Yes please. default_classic.gif More seriously, I'm preparing some detailed "Autopsy" images of the Ugokins that will show off their structure. The head is one piece that connects to the neck via a standard minifig-hand-graspable rod in the neck and a socket in the head; the helmet/brain thing is attached to a stud on the back of the Ugokin's head. This allows for more types of Ugokins with the same basic head piece.

So, this means the Ugokin heads will be compatible with Friends? Excellent...MOST excellent... :devil: MUHUHAHAHAHA! :devil_laugh::tongue:

Can't wait for the next update. :cry_happy: Have you made a Space Marine or Ugokin mech yet?

I've already supported this on CUUSOO. I really hope they drop the number of supporters needed for non-licensed themes.

I've got some mech concepts kicking around, including a really nice Space Marines hardsuit. None are incorporated into actual set designs, though.

I'm really liking the fact that you made some GOOD-GUY aliens, which LEGO seems reluctant to add to any themes (aside from Star Wars, that is), and I also like the Ugokins... If they had a third arm coming out of their chest, then they would look almost exactly like how David Weber described the Medusans in his Honor Harrington book, On Basilisk Station. :sweet:

Can't say I've read any of the Honorverse series, but I'm a huge fan of David Weber and his pals. John Ringo, in particular, has an influence on the Space Marines universe... just the good, old-school exuberance of his writing is the sort of thing I'm trying to capture.

So, this means the Ugokin heads will be compatible with Friends? Excellent...MOST excellent... :devil: MUHUHAHAHAHA! :devil_laugh::tongue:

Yep. UgokiFriends would be a possibility. I'd rather see a Friends head on an Ugokin body, though...