Hinckley

Expand the Winter Village II

winter_village_contest.jpg

Classic-Town.net and Eurobricks invite you to create your own addition to the popular winter village subtheme that TLG has presented during the holiday season for the past three years.

The Idea

As we enter the holiday season yet again, thoughts turn to fun and winter activities and where better to enjoy those than in your own Winter Village? So far, TLG has provided us with three places to visit, a lovely Winter Toy Shop, an equally inviting Winter Bakery and this year's new Post Office, but wouldn't it be nice to have an even larger Winter Village full of festive fun?

Well, now you can, by expanding the theme with your own Winter inspired creation!

The Rules

• Entries must be posted by midnight UTC, January 30th, 2012.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and similar in style and size to the previous official TLG releases, Winter Toy Shop (815 pieces / 7 minifigs) Winter Bakery (687 pieces / 7 minifigs) and Winter Village Post Office (822 pieces / 7 minifigs).
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Town forum. The title of the topic should begin with "Winter Village: " and then give the name of the entry.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size.
  • No photoshopping backgrounds or packaging.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

Prize Pool

1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes (1st place gets 1st choice, etc...)

10222.jpg

10222 Winter Village Post Office

10216.jpg

10216 Winter Village Bakery

10199.jpg

10199 Winter Village Toy Shop

4th place

7553.jpg

7533 City Advent Calendar

Other prizes for participants

40022.jpg

3 40022 Mini Santa sets

40023.jpg

3 40023 Holiday Stocking sets

40024.jpg

3 40024 Christmas Tree sets

A big thank you to Ricecracker for securing and shipping the prizes!

The wheels are already turning in the tiger's head ! :laugh:

Oh and I know what I'm doing.....it will be a gas ! :laugh:

Thanks for another chance at this winter theme 'Hinckley'. :classic:

Yes yes yes :grin:. I was hoping for this :sweet:. Not that I have any clue what to build yet though... :look:.

I may give this one a go, as I've already got an idea of what I want to do. Fourth duck, here we come!

I was lurking when the last contest happened, so I'll probably join this one! I need some Wisconsin snow to get me in the mood. :laugh:

I have been waiting for this contest again, already have some ideas pre-buidling already done for winter scenes plus the fact that its going to snow tonight in Colorado gets me in the mood even more - right on! :thumbup:

Nice!

I don't see anything in the rules about including piece counts, so I assume we don't have to keep track of that, though I also assume being able to provide the piece count (and have it be more or less in line with the counts for the three official sets) will help. Am I right?

Also, there's been an ongoing discussion in these parts regarding what sorts of locales would make good and/or likely additions to this line, some of which are really natural ideas. May we use some of the same sorts of things that have been suggested there? Naturally, I assume that if we're free to do so, we should really try to make ours stand out, since obviously the basic idea of what kind of building it should be won't carry much weight, and there are more likely to be other interpretations of the same concept...

I was hoping to see a contest again this year. There were some really great entries last year. Speaking of which, perhaps we should not allow any more train stations since 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place last year were all train stations.

Yes...some time to show the real evil lurking in the winter village, I mean, show the real Christmas spirit...heh heh heh :grin:

Nice!

I don't see anything in the rules about including piece counts, so I assume we don't have to keep track of that, though I also assume being able to provide the piece count (and have it be more or less in line with the counts for the three official sets) will help. Am I right?

Also, there's been an ongoing discussion in these parts regarding what sorts of locales would make good and/or likely additions to this line, some of which are really natural ideas. May we use some of the same sorts of things that have been suggested there? Naturally, I assume that if we're free to do so, we should really try to make ours stand out, since obviously the basic idea of what kind of building it should be won't carry much weight, and there are more likely to be other interpretations of the same concept...

The size should be comparable to the current sets. You can use whatever idea you like.

I'm so looking forward to this! I've already started building and even placed a BL order to finish the first floor of my building. Now on to the second floor and the roof! It's the first time I didn't start with the figs first... Normally I build the figs first and then the rest follows. Lets see how this works out. :laugh:

I have yet to enter a contest, but since 'tis the season, I am in the mood for something like this. I'll have to do some deep thinking on what set-up I would want. I can't wait to see the entries! There are a lot of creative builders on this site.

Hmmm, what to do what to do.... I used all my white in another upcoming MOC so it may be look a very dry xmas if I enter :laugh:

Hmmm, what to do what to do.... I used all my white in another upcoming MOC so it may be look a very dry xmas if I enter :laugh:

Christmas in the Caribbean!

Cool! What about digital backgrounds or picture editing (like the inclusion of the MOC name on the main picture)?

Cool! What about digital backgrounds or picture editing (like the inclusion of the MOC name on the main picture)?

No. No Photoshopping backgrounds, packaging or text. The only photo manipulation can be sharpening, contrast, etc.

Christmas in the Caribbean!

Hmmmmm.... interesting thought! Is TLG looking for ideas for next years winter set?

I've talked with last year's winner a few times after the last contest, and when he commented

on one of my MOCs he said it was a good practice for second edition of 'Expand the Winter Village' contest.

How did he know?!

I'll probably enter. :classic:

does it have to be open backed or can it be closed? does the base plate need to be the same 10 stud wide? or can it be wider? longer? I know they need to be around the same size but whats the limit?