Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Antyria. It make's for good foreshadowing as we will eventually rule all.

Isn't Albion the name from the Fable game's?

Haven´t you heard the phrase "Pride goeth before a fall."

I have never. Let's not use any video game name's please.

Which name is a videogame? Albion? Did you read my post?

My suggestion is Albion. It means white and is an old name of England. Avalonia is just not from the Arthur stories. Avalonia is an old name for one of the old paleocontinents. This old continent is now England... So it will fit pretty well I think. And also I like the names together. Avalonia and Albion...

(a little late but)

Legonardo, pledging allegiance to Avalonia!

my entry to round 1

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Welcome Mr. Legonardo. We are glad to have you on EB and in Avalonia.

I know you joined a little late to the party so I just wanted to mention we began our journey in this guild by making some avatars (signature figures) and a few foot soldiers to show what an Avalonian army might look like. Feel free to build a MOC for one of the tasks our guild leaders set out for us earlier in the thread.

To all members of the guild, plans for the capital are nearly done- stay tuned for an update soon!

Edited by ZCerberus

Greetings Guildsmen!

Excellent work all of you. Avalonia has really been on a roll recently, we are powering on, and a mighty land is unfolding thanks to all your excellent creations.

I have updated the first post and added a list of all the buildings that have been made in each area of Avalonia. They are also links to the moc, so you don't have to search through the forum to find a specific moc, its all on the first post. This is to also help our Cartographers, so they can see all the buildings and know what region of Avalonia they are in. I have only added buildings and landmark structures as a lot of the title tasks I set have been built as scenes, which means they won't be featured as a landmark on the map. Tasks that have been built as full structures like farms, temples etc, are on the list, as they can be added to the map. However, I will eventually post a list of all the task builds so they can be found easier. A lot of the mocs posted didn't have a name and were just called 'Avalonian tower' or 'watchtower of Avalonia', so I have given them a name so they stand out on the map better, as I think our map would look better if every building or landmark had a proper name rather then 'Avalonia this' and 'Avalonia that'.

If anyone has any names they want to give their buildings/mocs, then let me know, as the names I have given are just there as examples.

Would it be possible to add a copy of the map to the first page as well? Would make it easier to find and refer as well. Ideally, an interactive map that would link the MOC thread when you clicked on a name or icon but I know that it out of my realm of knowledge!

I still haven't posted my finished tower but hope I get the parts to finish the modification this week but Jason has placed my tower where I envisioned it. (number 5 on the Enchanted Forest) the Tower is in the town of Circardia and overseen by Arlindus, Captain of the Phoenix Guard and Circardia.

I like Albion myself.

I have a thought, maybe you didn't know, but our capital sits at the junction of two great rivers. I think the second and third best names for the capital can be used to name the rivers.

Benoic... sounds really good My Liege!

Can my land in mighty Avalonia be namned that?

Of course, if you like it, then your area of land can be called Benoic. That's quite a good idea, as I think members should have their own areas that they can build up if they want to. You allready have a tower and farm, so you could also add a stronghold there e.g Benoic Castle, and that way Benoic can go on the map as a city/village that you are lord of.

(a little late but)

Legonardo, pledging allegiance to Avalonia!

my entry to round 1

Welcome and great work on your tower, another excellent addition to mighty Avalonia.

Post your sigfig and some of his warriors, then pick some land, and bring it to life with your builds!

Would it be possible to add a copy of the map to the first page as well? Would make it easier to find and refer as well. Ideally, an interactive map that would link the MOC thread when you clicked on a name or icon but I know that it out of my realm of knowledge!

I still haven't posted my finished tower but hope I get the parts to finish the modification this week but Jason has placed my tower where I envisioned it. (number 5 on the Enchanted Forest) the Tower is in the town of Circardia and overseen by Arlindus, Captain of the Phoenix Guard and Circardia.

I agree that the map should be on the first page, I will get round to that as soon as possible.

I like Albion myself.

I have a thought, maybe you didn't know, but our capital sits at the junction of two great rivers. I think the second and third best names for the capital can be used to name the rivers.

That's a good idea, I think naming will be an endless debate, so we should just go with one. Albion sounds good and its meaning makes sense.

Thank you my Lord! My new land Benoic will flourish!

And I´m pleased to here that Albion will be the name of our proud capital!

Edit: Now that I´ve learned where Benoic comes from I must say that I´m impressed by your knowledge to the tales of Arthur my Lord! Of course the mother of Lancelot is called Elaine of Benoic!

Edited by de Gothia

Arlindus looks forward to the journey between Circardia in the Enchanted Forrest and the capital, Albion.

Greetings fellow guildsmen!

Due to the concern of a never ending debate on our Capital's name, it has been decided that the name for our capital shall be Albion.

However, Avalonia is a mighty land, and even though our capital Albion is the hub and mightiest city, it is not the only settlement. While looking at the map I realized that there should be many smaller cities and settlements with their own name. Every member here is of course entitled to there own stretch of land in Avalonia, so if you wish, you can look at the map and find a posistion you like, give that area whatever name you wish, build it up into a village, town or city and you will then be the Lord of that area. This way, it will make our map more interesting as Avalonia will look more like a real land with many different villages, towns and settlements.

For example, de gothia's stretch of land is called Benoic and so his lookout tower is called the Tower Of Benoic, Benoic farm etc, and therefore de Gothia gets the title 'Lord Of Benoic'.

This may help you to properly name your mocs better rather then just calling them 'Avalonian Tower' or 'Avalonian Farm'. You can then actually name them after your particular settlement/area you are lord of.

I hope this makes sense. Also, if you create a town or province that you name and build, that does not mean you can't build anywhere else, you can still build mocs all over Avalonia if you wish. Its completely up to you, I thought this might be a good way to get some towns and settlements built up all around Avalonia. Remember you don't have to build a city, just your own settlement that has its own name that we can put on the map. It will help everyone to get a better understanding if all the different places in our great land. Some settlements might have a particular shop not found anywhere else in Avalonia and so it could be built up around whatever that speciality is. The possibilities are endless and its all down to you to make it how you wish.

Remember to give your settlement/area a name, as I will need to record all the areas so our map makers can work them into the map.

Thank you my Lord! My new land Benoic will flourish!

And I´m pleased to here that Albion will be the name of our proud capital!

Edit: Now that I´ve learned where Benoic comes from I must say that I´m impressed by your knowledge to the tales of Arthur my Lord! Of course the mother of Lancelot is called Elaine of Benoic!

I have a list of names which are very old and are the original celtic and roman names that where used in Britain in the dark ages. Most people would not have heard them, and they sound quite interesting. Benoic isn't in that list, but I used it as it sounds good and thought it would suit you.

Here's a list of some old forgotton Celtic and Roman names for settlements, towns, villages and forts. Members might find some useful and use them.

Aqua Sulis - Roman name suited for an area near water.

Broceliande - pronounced Brocker-li-anday

Burrium

Calleva

Corinium

Cornovia

Demetia

Dolforwyn

Dumnonia

Dunum

Durnovaria

Glevum

Gwent

Gwynedd

Halcwm

Isca

Kernow

Lindinis

Lleyn

Lugg Vale

Magnis

Nidum

Pontes

Powys - pronounced pow-ess

Ratae

Siluria

Venta

Vindocladia

Islands: Island names always started with Ynys which means isle and is pronounced In-ess

Ynys Trebes - pronounced Tree-bay

Ynys Seren - Seren means 'the star', so this means isle of stars.

Ynys Wydryn - means isle of glass

Forts: fort names started with Caer which is pronounced Care

Caer Ambra

Caer Lavaine

Caer Dinas

Caer Sws

Caer Cavan

Caer Cadarn - Cadarn means'the mighty'and yes its part of where I got my name from:classic:

These are all very old names of places from dark age Britain, quite interesting and hardly heard of, so If they are of use to anyone then feel free to use them. You will notice some of the roman influence in a few of the names.

Our cartographers already know, but just to confirm, mine is Bricdocton, a village in the Mystic Isles. (see my tower on the map)

Aqua Sulis - Roman name suited for an area near water.

Broceliande - pronounced Brocker-li-anday

Burrium

Calleva

Corinium

Cornovia

Demetia

Dolforwyn

Dumnonia

Dunum

Durnovaria

Glevum

Gwent

Gwynedd

Halcwm

Isca

Kernow

Lindinis

Lleyn

Lugg Vale

Magnis

Nidum

Pontes

Powys - pronounced pow-ess

Ratae

Siluria

Venta

Vindocladia

Islands: Island names always started with Ynys which means isle and is pronounced In-ess

Ynys Trebes - pronounced Tree-bay

Ynys Seren - Seren means 'the star', so this means isle of stars.

Ynys Wydryn - means isle of glass

Forts: fort names started with Caer which is pronounced Care

Caer Ambra

Caer Lavaine

Caer Dinas

Caer Sws

Caer Cavan

Caer Cadarn - Cadarn means'the mighty'and yes its part of where I got my name from:classic:

These are all very old names of places from dark age Britain, quite interesting and hardly heard of, so If they are of use to anyone then feel free to use them. You will notice some of the roman influence in a few of the names.

I was already wondering what all the Celtic names and words were doing in there. :tongue:

The next MOC should be up soon, but perhaps I can manage to create a village to go along with it as well. At least we've got the names already. :blush:

I was already wondering what all the Celtic names and words were doing in there. :tongue:

The next MOC should be up soon, but perhaps I can manage to create a village to go along with it as well. At least we've got the names already. :blush:

Those names were just a few suggestions. You can name your area's what you wish. Looking forward to your next build :thumbup:

Greetings fellow guildsmen!

<snip>

However, Avalonia is a mighty land, and even though our capital Albion is the hub and mightiest city, it is not the only settlement. While looking at the map I realized that there should be many smaller cities and settlements with their own name. Every member here is of course entitled to there own stretch of land in Avalonia, so if you wish, you can look at the map and find a posistion you like, give that area whatever name you wish, build it up into a village, town or city and you will then be the Lord of that area. This way, it will make our map more interesting as Avalonia will look more like a real land with many different villages, towns and settlements.

For example, de gothia's stretch of land is called Benoic and so his lookout tower is called the Tower Of Benoic, Benoic farm etc, and therefore de Gothia gets the title 'Lord Of Benoic'.

This may help you to properly name your mocs better rather then just calling them 'Avalonian Tower' or 'Avalonian Farm'. You can then actually name them after your particular settlement/area you are lord of.

<snip>

Could my town be Basilita and be located in the area that my watchtower is (since that is the watchtower of Basilita).

Also since I will gain the title 'lord of Basilita' does that count as me having 7 titles for the secret feasting hall thing?

This is so late... I have been following along with this for quite a while and I just wanted to say that I will be joining Avalonia if still possible. I'll I have a sig fig and story up later this week :D

Albion is a perfect name for our capital.

Thanks for allowing us to build our own cities and towns. I was afraid that I were going a bit far claiming a city for myself without asking first. But since its Ok I´ll keep my Hybrasil.

On the other side, I haven't posted any new Mocs because in the next weekend (Dez 10 and 11) is the exposition of our Lug Brazil. After that I´ll be able to build more to the challenges.

My Lord, the area protected by my tower is known as Fuchal. Work on my castle has begun but the workers are having trouble finding stone in the quarry so it may take some time. I will endeavour to hurry them up so as to be prepared should someone try a raid over the Border Wall.

My Lord, the area protected by my tower is known as Fuchal. Work on my castle has begun but the workers are having trouble finding stone in the quarry so it may take some time. I will endeavour to hurry them up so as to be prepared should someone try a raid over the Border Wall.

"Fuchal" that is great name! Is it pronounced like Fuchal of you? lol Or is it more like foo-shal?

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

"Fuchal" that is great name! Is it pronounced like Fuchal of you? lol Or is it more like foo-shal?

It seems that your quarry consists of Fuchal stone :devil:

That's too funny, I hadn't read it like that. Infact I hadn't even seen the word typed until today.

It is pronounced 'foo-shul' but the other pronunciation works for my quarry (grey bricks are awfully hard to come by)

(And for all of you Red Dwarf fans out there, it is the name of the Feline Sapien species' heaven)

could my land be called Glevum? it has a nice ring to it

Good to see people naming their stretches of land. Could you also list a rough location of where it is in Avalonia, just to make it easier for our map maker. I will add the town/settlements to the front page.