Sign in to follow this  
sofo13th

Lightsaber (CB SW V - Empire Strikes Back)

I'm a little confused, what is this to do with the CB for ESB.....don't even who lightsaber that is ? :look:

No details or background story for the digital design ? :hmpf:

I can see a lot of hard work and planning has gone in to it, but that is all......clear as the river Yarra ! :laugh:

I like the intricate work inside the blade, but your response to the first response makes no sense.

Nice work though, any plans for a brickbuilt version?

Need story? Oops. :classic:

Then just a lightsaber.

*stupid autotranslator. try myself.

i am not a fan of SW.

whose lightsaber? maybe it's Luke's :classic:

about details and picture for background. why?

so all can be see. it's a simple LDD lightsaber and nothing else.

about plans for a real version.

may be someday. now i have only 5 of 24 panels.

sorry, if i wrote nonsense again. :classic:

whose lightsaber? maybe it's Luke's :classic:

about details and picture for background. why?

so all can be see. it's a simple LDD lightsaber and nothing else.

How is this Luke's lightsaber again?

jedsab.JPG

Or did you mean this one?

lssabanh.JPG

At its present state, this MOC is little more than a bunch of cylinders - far too plain to represent any lightsaber. I suggest you give us Star Wars fans some credit for appreciating the art of prop making and put more effort into having this more closely resemble what it's supposed to be.

Not bad for a base design but it would look better if you modeled it of an acual lightsaber though. If your just getting the design down pat its alright, you have the blade retracting back into the hilt which is clever. Once your design works you can try to mod it to look like an ESP lightsaber. If not you shouldnt have contributed to the Community build for ESP. If you just want a generic lightsaber im sure us Star Wars fans would like to see it finished but if not got anything to do with ESP it shouldnot be posted as CB SW V.

Keep going with the design I want to see the final product. P.S some Star Wars fans are very hard to please. :thumbup:

P.S some Star Wars fans are very hard to please. :thumbup:

Wonderful set of colored telescoping Technic tubes, sofo13th! Should be useful in lots of other creations! Wait, it's supposed to be what? Well, you've got the bare bones down, now add some detail and shaping so that people will actually be able to point to it and say, 'this is a lightsaber'! Good luck! k33P 0N bRiCKIn'! :classic::thumbup::wink:

The functionality of the creation certainly deserves recognition, but calling this a 'lightsaber' would be like making a cross and calling it a B-wing. The design is just too generic. Aside from his obvious skill in working with Technic parts, this AFOL has a nearly limitless parts inventory from LDD, a timespan of well over a month during which to work on the MOC, a mass of Internet reference, etc., etc... and he gives us some colored tubes that happen to be able to telescope into each other. Lightsaber? I wouldn't say so:

01033.jpg

lightsaber-new3.jpg

dsc01182.jpg

There are such things as standards in the AFOL community, and from the beginning I have always admired how high they are kept. Times have changed, I guess.

We Starwarsians are screwed if the average person's idea of a lightsaber is only a colored tube. AFOLs are in an even worse position if people think we are this crude with LEGO.

This is a good idea that has potential for application to a LEGO lightsaber. Nothing even remotely close to a finished product.

In all honesty I find blunt comments more helpful than the mindless praise that is spouted 99% of the time someone posts a creation (and I confess to having spouted such mindless praise in my time here at Eurobricks) - so long as they are appropriate and not simply a case of someone nitpicking a great MOC (something else I also admit to having done). In the end, Clone O'Patra proved more helpful than any of the FOLs who left comments on my last MOC. Why? He had the sense to tell me that it simply didn't meet standards (which it obviously didn't at the time - though whether it ever will is another question entirely).

An AFOL once said that some people feel discouraged to MOC when they see official sets because they feel that whatever they make will never match up. How depressing would it be when a group of people trying to sell toys to 8-year-olds, with a myriad of design restrictions forced upon them (studs on top and whatnot) and an extensive testing process, make better creations than dedicated fans with big budgets, inventive minds, and a limit set only by the brick?

Edited by fallenangel309

Hi sofo13th,

Welcome to EB and thanks for sharing this simple yet functional generic lightsaber design. I admit that I don't have the 'mechanistic' design aptitude that you've shown in this digital design, so kudos for that. :thumbup: And pls. do not get discouraged with some of the negative comments you've read and instead try to take them as constructive criticism to make your future designs and builds better.

P.S some Star Wars fans are very hard to please. :thumbup:

Indeed. There's a very thin line between friendly encouragement towards a newcomer and just outright being harsh and rude. :hmpf:

Having attempted to build lightsabers similar to this in my youth from paper products, I can appreciate the effort that goes into this. It looks like you've got a good basis for the design, and now you have the fun parts to look forward to - detailing and shaping. :classic:

I can only confirm what other members told you; the base idea is nice, but you really have to shape this thing to make it look like a real lightsaber. Good luck!

to fallenangel309

slow down.

you call that a lightsaber but it only lightsaber's handle.

in my model has a blade that extends from the handle as lightsaber's blade. almost.

so yeah. here it is the lightsaber.

as you correctly said - it's techniс. the main advantage of techniс-models is not an exact copy, but the possibility of movement, mobility, action ... and other synonyms.

go through point by point:

exact copy - no;

approximate copy - yes;

action - double yes.

2 points of 3 is not as bad as it seems. or do you need with sound effects? and that would be a LEGO lightsaber cut steel, flesh and bones?

i did it for fun. or for fans. some. if they like, so i did it for them. not for you.

and this, specially for you, lightsaber of Da...

:devil:

oh, i forgot. the "colored telescoping technic tubes" of Darth Vader.

dvs_ls.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Again interesting design, colours, though isn't the blade a little too short given the length of the hilt ? :look:

Brick On LDD On 'sofo13th' ! :classic:

Nice idea using those parts to make a LEGO version of those official Lightsaber toys. :laugh:

Again interesting design, colours, though isn't the blade a little too short given the length of the hilt ? :look:

It's about the same scale as Mini-fig lightsabers. :wink:

though isn't the blade a little too short given the length of the hilt ? :look:

I think it's because the hilt interior can only accommodate two 'unit lengths' of the blade, hence the short length relative to 'standard' ligthsabers.

It's about the same scale as Mini-fig lightsabers. :wink:

Come to think of it, for minifig-scale the proportions seem accurate.

dvs_ls.jpg

I loved the first version and it was quite clever, but this one is even better, a mix of the nice technique work and a actual recognisable coloured pattern in the hilt :thumbup: :thumbup:.