Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

The Golden Stallion

thindexedgif.gif 106C

It seems like ages since I last posted a ship MOC. Anyway, here we go:

THE GOLDEN STALLION

00.jpg

01.jpg06.jpg

The crew of this ship is only interested in one thing: adding more treasures to their vast collection. Whether it's gold, gems, or artifacts of lost civilisations - they want it. If it means following a treasure map or exploring new lands - they'll do it. If it means stealing from others, thus behaving like pirates - they'll do it too. They're basically rogue treasure hunters, who answer to no one. The ship's crewmembers come from many nations, but they don't consider themselves part of any country, holding allegiance with no one but themselves. This partially male, partially female crew is led by the daring Madam Veronique, whom you can see below:

08.jpg

In the stern part of the ship are her quarters, where she keeps many of her most valuable treasures - next to her bed and her desk - so that she can admire them whenever she wants:

24.jpg

25.jpg

Like every good ship, this one also has a galley, where the fat chef prepares all sorts of meals for everyone:

18.jpg

19.jpg

"Go away! Dinner's not yet ready!"

Close-up of the figurehead:

09.jpg

Some more random pictures of the ship and her crew:

10.jpg

11.jpg

17.jpg

Lower deck with cannons:

14.jpg

15.jpg16.jpg

As you can see, I used the hull of the infamous 4+ Pirate ship (adding one extra middle section). I think that this hull has some good MOCing potential, although that set itself (7075) wasn't very good. If nothing else, one can build pretty big minifig scale vessels with those hull pieces.

Those walls and floors are easily removable in order to access the interior parts of the ship (shown above):

27.jpg

And finally, a comparison picture of my ship and 10210 Imperial Flagship:

28.jpg

They are roughly the same size, the Golden Stallion is slightly wider (obviously, as it uses the 4+ hull) and longer, but the IF is slightly taller. Because of the different hull and different length to width ratio, two masts are enough for my ship in contrast with IF's three masts. I tried adding a third mast at one point during building, but it didn't look right. My ship is much bulkier and less canoe-shaped.

Check out more pictures of the Golden Stallion at Brickshelf.

I guess that's it, hope you enjoyed it!

Ha! I just stumbled across this a few minutes ago when doin' some scouting :pir_laugh2:

It is a very colourful and imaginative MOC and I really like all the small details that are there. It captures a good Lego flair, well done!

It's unbelievable. I thought it would be never possible to built a decent ship on one of the most ugly ship hulls ever. It seems to be I was wrong. :pir-blush:

What an amazing vessel, I love it's thickness. Most ships seen here are long and thin, while the ships were true fatties back then! You have managed to capture it nicely. :thumbup:

You have found some cool colours and crammed the ship with detail. The sails look good too, although I prefer more ropes.

The pictures are also eye-candy!

I love it. :wub:

Beautiful! I will never build a ship in my life, but I've always marveled over others. Love it. :pir-wub:

Thanks for your comments! Indeed I've seen very few MOCs using that hull - I think many MOCers find it useless or ugly, but of the few I'd seen I remember at least two that were very good. And quite a long time ago I decided to try and build a ship myslelf using those parts, and I finally did, so here it is. :pir_laugh2:

Beautifull ship. Very cartoonesque but nevertheless a great built. It really makes you wanna play and experience awesome adventures and since you packed it up with details you probably never go out of new stories and possibilities. The design reminds me a little bit of the ships in "OnePiece" although it has quite it´s own character.

I disagree with Captain Blackmoore on the ropes. I think it should keep it´s great toy-style. More ropes would just make it harder to play on it and I see your ship more as a stage or set than a historic built.

Ah and I was wondering: can it swim?

Considering the awful hull you really did an excellent job on this ship.

The stern and figurehead are nice and I'm very fond of the small golden statues.

I also like the colourscheme with red and gold. Nice combination.

I think it would also look good when you would attach the stern sloped railings to the grey arches amidships.

Anyway, you made it to our frontpage :pir-classic: [bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

How long did the build take? :pir-classic:

It's hard to say really, I started building it a few months ago, and then just returned to it whenever I felt like it and wasn't busy with other activities. I took my time on this one. I'd say it'd maybe have taken between a week and two of constant building (if I had been building every afternoon).

I think it should keep it´s great toy-style. More ropes would just make it harder to play on it and I see your ship more as a stage or set than a historic built.

You're absolutely right, it's not supposed to be a historical model, I prefer LEGO's own approach of rather building ships that are cool to play with or to put on display, but are a bit cartoonish and not entirely historically accurate. I myself consider sets like Black Seas Barracuda and others to be like that too.

Of course building ships as accurate as possible is cool too, but I'm a bit more on the "play" side myself. :pir-classic:

Ah and I was wondering: can it swim?

I haven't tried that but I don't think it would float - unlike 7075 it has quite a buildup of bricks onboard, it might be too heavy or not stable enough.

Considering the awful hull you really did an excellent job on this ship.

I still don't consider this hull awful, it is cartoonish and not everyone likes the colours, but it definitely deserves more credit than lots of people give it IMO. :pir-wink: The set it's taken from was ugly as a whole, but it did have some useful parts nonetheless.

Anyway, you made it to our frontpage :pir-classic:

Thanks Admiral! :pir-classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

Where does everyone find these great sails? The only sails I have are brick built. Regardless this ship is teeming in detail, from the many rooms within to the golden decorations around the ship. What inspired the hull's hue?

Very nice, those 4+ hulls could have been usefull for large battle ships/ ship of the line if it wasn't for the grey part on prow and stern.

Oh right, those hulls float right ?

you should definitely take some pictures of it in the water :pir-sweet:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Where does everyone find these great sails? The only sails I have are brick built. Regardless this ship is teeming in detail, from the many rooms within to the golden decorations around the ship. What inspired the hull's hue?

I made those sails myself, of thick paper. Custom sails are quite popular among ship MOC builders. As for the colours, I started with a red and grey hull, so I needed the same colours for the rest (plus some black), and I added all the gold to make it a rich-looking ship for a crew whose sole purpose is to acquire all things valuable.

And as mentioned before, I think that ship is too heavy to float. And with paper sails I don't think I'll even try that now. :pir-laugh:

Thanks for the comments and keep'em coming! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Dreamweb

Great job!

I've always loved the playability and interiors of your ships, and this one does not disappoint. :pir-wub:

M. Veronique's cabin is my favorite, her collection of treasures from around the world is fascinating.

Keep it up!