The Undo

MOC: Train Station

indexed.gif B-T-1C

Hi everyone. I usually build medieval and pirate stuff, but this time i decided to do something different. This train station is inspired by train station in my hometown, and also one of the reasons i decided to build a station is that, as a kid, I always wanted to have that yellow train station lego set.

Here are some pictures I've made with POV-Ray:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

And the LXF file: Train-Station.lxf

(It has about 7500 pieces so some people might have problem opening it if they have slower computer)

The building has interiors, as can be seen from the last picture (partly), which can be seen by removing the roofs with "connected selection tool" (because roofs and the upper floor of the central building are stand-alone modules).

There is a bank on the right, and a caffe on the left of the main building.

The three things that this creation lacks, and which I intend to do in the future is to add interior on the upper floor of the main building (and add a staircase), populate the station, and make landscape around it.

Hope you people like it. :classic:

6.jpg

Edited by Phred

Wow, that looks fantastic, any plans for real bricking it? I know it'd be a lot to build, but it looks so good.

Now you just need some tracks next to it and some eager commuters. :thumbup:

Thanks Big Cam. I don't plan on bricking it in the near future. I don't own much lego myself and currently don't have that much money to spend. But who knows what the future will bring, and it really would be nice to see this in real bricks.

Nice station with nice interior! :thumbup:

You won't be able to build it with real bricks in this color, though – unless Lego starts producing all those parts in Nougat, that is, but for now, there are especially no plates or tiles...

An impressive train station 'omerai', is it based on a real station ? :classic:

It would be beyond AWESOME if it was brick-built. :wink:

Brick On 'omerai' ! :grin:

Thank you for your comments.

@ cimddwc

You are correct. The plates wouldn't be a problem. I used them to cut down the pieces, but if this would be built for real I would use 1x2 bricks for walls to make them look more realistic. The bigger problem would be with tiles, but maybe some time in the future lego will produce nougat tiles. But than again, I'll probably never build this for real. :sad:

@ lightningtiger

Yes, the architectural look is mostly based on the station in my home town.

Here's one more picture of how the rear side of the station looks without that black construction:

6.jpg

A really great trainstation you did build there.

I have a question about the screenshots you have taken.

How do you get the black background and the shadows in your screenshots?

I also build with LDD and I only know Ctrl+K to take a screenshot.

You managed to capture the architecture of an old 19th century station very well. And I especially like the nougat, because it is one of the best colours to reflect reail life bricks in my opinion. Sadly the choice of pieces isn't very great.

Thanks guys for your appreciation. :sweet:

A really great trainstation you did build there.

I have a question about the screenshots you have taken.

How do you get the black background and the shadows in your screenshots?

I also build with LDD and I only know Ctrl+K to take a screenshot.

Screenshots are made with program called POV-Ray which is used for making high quality 3D renderings. This program is not compatible with LDD, but is compatible with LDraw files. So The first thing that was needed is to instal LDraw and convert .lxf file into .ldr file. This is done through the file ldraw.xml which is still being worked on so it's not perfect (some bricks are lost in the conversion between lxf and ldr). Next thing is to convert .ldr file into pov-ray file via program called L3P, and than voila, with one click in POV-Ray the rendering begins.

It is a little complex process with installing all this programs, and if you're interested I'll send you links and explain everything in detail via PM. :classic:

I think you did a fantastic job on this very large building.

I know from my experience that building something large in LDD is almost more difficult than actually building it with real bricks. Except for the fact that you actually have to OWN the bricks to build.

At over 7,000 bricks, and many being large panels, this is definitely a big project. Especially if instead of 1x6x5 panels you used actual bricks, I would imagine the count would approach 10,000 + that way.

The color choice is very nice. I hope Lego can make available some of these pieces so that one day we could see this with real bricks.

Thanks for sharing!

Locutis

Thanks again people!

I'm very happy with how this creation turned out, both architecturally and in interior design, as i have never build something like this before.

I've made a few more shots in ldd:

ldd1.jpg

Back side of the station (the tacks are too high but that will be changed if and when i make a little landscape around it)

ldd2.jpg

Caffe

ldd3.jpg

Main hall

ldd4.jpg

Main hall

As far as LDD MOCs go, this Train Station is very impressive. :wub:

I hope you are able to build a real life version of this MOC in real life. :thumbup:

I really like how the roof is done and the general design of this MOC.

Do you have any real life examples that you're using for inspiration?

This is absolutely awesome. As someone new here, I would like to know what LDD is, and where you can get it to start doing online creations. Is it specifically for lego, and have lego parts and pieces you can pull to build your sets with. Probably way out of my league at this point, but I would like to try it.

This is absolutely awesome. As someone new here, I would like to know what LDD is, and where you can get it to start doing online creations. Is it specifically for lego, and have lego parts and pieces you can pull to build your sets with. Probably way out of my league at this point, but I would like to try it.

I would look in the LDD Forum and there is an Index that explains what LDD is and where to download it from. :wink:

Here are some pictures on how the station in my home town looks like:

Zeljeznicki_Kolodvor.JPG

13-Zeljeznicki_kolodvor_u_Rijeci-razglednica_iz_razdoblja_prije_1895-PZVS.jpg

19873307134894142288784.jpg

It's very similar but not the same. It's wider than what i made (it has two more "buildings" on the sides). I've changed some details like the roofs of the end buildings, and the whole back side architecture, added entrances on the end buildings. I've made the interior and using my imagination. It's not based on the real thing, although there is a restourant and a caffe on the left side in real life.

You won't be able to build it with real bricks in this color, though – unless Lego starts producing all those parts in Nougat, that is, but for now, there are especially no plates or tiles...

Wasn't a nougat colour piece introduced in 3661 Bank and Money Transfer (it was part of the desk in the interior)?

Anyway, fantastic MOC, really great work. Ingenius details, and it looks pretty realistic compared to the real thing. Brilliant job! :thumbup:

Edited by HighFlyer

Thanks guys for your appreciation. :sweet:

Screenshots are made with program called POV-Ray which is used for making high quality 3D renderings. This program is not compatible with LDD, but is compatible with LDraw files. So The first thing that was needed is to instal LDraw and convert .lxf file into .ldr file. This is done through the file ldraw.xml which is still being worked on so it's not perfect (some bricks are lost in the conversion between lxf and ldr). Next thing is to convert .ldr file into pov-ray file via program called L3P, and than voila, with one click in POV-Ray the rendering begins.

It is a little complex process with installing all this programs, and if you're interested I'll send you links and explain everything in detail via PM. :classic:

I know pov-ray I also tried to work with it. But like you said some bricks are lost when you convert lxf file to a ldr file. In my case there where a lot of lost bricks. There where so much lost bricks that if I want to use pov-ray I better use a program that is compatible with it. How did you solf this problems? Did you placed new bricks with mlcad?

Yes, lots of bricks get lost in the conversion, that's why I didn't make interior shots of the station with pov-ray, and as for those outside shots i first took pictures with pov-ray and examined those pictures to see what pieces didn't make it and then i replaced them in ldd with bricks i knew that would work (but i replaced them only for the purpose of making those screenshots) and rendered it again in pov-ray. Most of the bricks that are on the outside of the station are basic bricks that work so i didn't have a lots of holes to fill up (but if you look closely you'll see that, for example, there's no doors).

What i would recommend you is to download the latest ldraw.xml file from Gallaghers Art forum and with it replace the ldraw.xml file you already have in your ldd installation folder.

http://gallaghersart.com/forums/viewthread/4/

The man is still working on that conversion file and you can see the progress (and which bricks work, and which bricks get lost in the conversion) on that forum.

Hope this will help you you.

Yes, lots of bricks get lost in the conversion, that's why I didn't make interior shots of the station with pov-ray, and as for those outside shots i first took pictures with pov-ray and examined those pictures to see what pieces didn't make it and then i replaced them in ldd with bricks i knew that would work (but i replaced them only for the purpose of making those screenshots) and rendered it again in pov-ray. Most of the bricks that are on the outside of the station are basic bricks that work so i didn't have a lots of holes to fill up (but if you look closely you'll see that, for example, there's no doors).

What i would recommend you is to download the latest ldraw.xml file from Gallaghers Art forum and with it replace the ldraw.xml file you already have in your ldd installation folder.

http://gallaghersart.com/forums/viewthread/4/

The man is still working on that conversion file and you can see the progress (and which bricks work, and which bricks get lost in the conversion) on that forum.

Hope this will help you you.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will take a look at it and hope it works out.

Awesome model

Just saw the lxf file above. I'll try to download it tonight and have a look.

Edited by tcybula