kurigan

A New Sloop

Though still a WIP she’s very close to complete. I started her as a side project, but she took on a life of her own. I sat down today to finish her, building on what was essentially a hulk. A few hours of work, brought me to this point, and where I am disappointed she isn’t more complete, I’m already quite satisfied with the overall result.

IMG_0429-1.jpg

She’s an 8 gun cutter rigged Sloop. By simply placing the bricks askew, I managed to create something of a tumble home, without the need of any articulated pieces. I wouldn’t try the method with any larger of a vessel, and am aware that the necessary gap running around the hull lends a certain “cheapness” to the model. Considering she’s not just made from what I have on hand (with no custom orders) but rather from spare parts, it works just fine. I tried my hand at a little “ginger bread work”, which has never been a strong suit for me, but again, like what I came up with for what it is. I rigged the rudder and till in such a way that moving one will necessarily affect the other. It doesn’t work very well in all honesty, but still makes for an interesting novelty.

IMG_0436-1.jpg

IMG_0438-1.jpg

I’ll finisher up with a capstan /windlass, some string rigging from which to hang stay sails, her 8 carronades and of course some sails (likely just paper) in the next few days if the terrible weather keeps me indoors. She’ll need a name as well, but at the late hour I’m writing this and calling it quits, I’m at a loss.

MORE IMAGES HERE

The cabin looks very nice, nice start, but i would change the most of yellow elements. :imperialguard_commander1: What do you think?

Looks really good already!

I would change the gray for brown or white, But in overall this ships looks good and playable.

Good luck with your Sloop!

Tib

If yellow were not the appropriate color for a man-of-war of this era and I didn’t like it, I might agree, that there was too much. That not with standing; understand the colors are what they are, as the entire model was made from scraps, cast offs from other projects. I have enough bricks to make this ship in yellow and another in red, but not to make just one large ship in one color :P I know the gray doesn’t make for a particularly tidy looking ship, but I used most of my white and tan on "Snake". Thanks for the comments and I’m glad you like the stern.

Could you please resize some of your pictures? Please read our announcement in the Pirate MOCs forum.

I agree that with just some spare parts, you did a very good job on this ship.

It seems quite historically accurate and I like the stern view and the moving rudder a lot.

I think you should make some custom orders once because I think you can make some excellent ships that way.

But this one is nice as well. Good job :thumbup:

Which pictures? These were all resized at the source. I’ve been making copies at 800X600 or less to just post here.

Thank you, for the kind comments. I have high hopes to be able to build one of my LDD designs in the future, but at the moment just don’t have the money or, somewhat more importantly, the space to pull it off. “Snake” is already in constant danger of being knocked over and if this sloop were only a few inches taller, would be in the same predicament. For the present a fleet of small vessels will serve me better than any one large ship. besides once I get them all ready for sea I could set myself up as a Commodore :pir-grin:

Which pictures? These were all resized at the source. I’ve been making copies at 800X600 or less to just post here.

I'm sorry, my mistake. They are indeed of the correct size.

I only saw that the forum reduced the size on my pc to 84% but I didn't look at the real size.

Even regulators make mistakes :pir-classic:

Just a quick update: I found some time before work to improve my sloop just a bit. I made those rather modern looking windows I used look more period by cutting some very thin strips of yellow wire tape, and sticking it right to the pane.

Before

IMG_0436-1.jpg

After

IMG_0451-1.jpg

From the Side

IMG_0454-1.jpg

Thats a nice add I have to say, I really like how you did these windows.

Soon I start building my Sloop/Schooner, I saw yours and I have to make one too!

Greetz Bjornu !

Edited by Bjornu

Well, the ides admittedly feel a bit choppy/blockly/unsmooth in a really distracting way.

That being said, however, this is a very good ship, in my opinion. It very accurately captures the general proportions and feel of a ship of this size much better than the average moc does.

Just a quick update, I’ve installed a nice, true to scale windlass on my sloop, which also has a name now. Her windlass being one of the last few pieces of equipment she’ll need, HM Sloop Narthex will soon be ready for sea.

The windlass is a bit of a compromise, I can only use two bars at 90 degrees at the moment, but it works. Different hubs may change this in the future, but I’ll have to scrounge up the pieces. As it is this was something of a feat.

IMG_0533.jpg

Then name. Narthex is the Greek name for fennel; a plant with yellow flowers used commonly as a spice, but classically was used to transport fire. A tight bundle of the plant will foster a cinder for hours. In mythology it was in a narthex that Prometheus smuggled fire from mount Olympus to mankind, the crime for which he was punished by having his liver perpetually eaten out by birds. The reference in my own lore is to smuggling, as Narthex was a purpose built smuggler captured and bought in to the service.

IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0531.jpg

Edited by kurigan

Nice job! I think the brick-built hull worked very well. :thumbup: You put a lot of detail in it, even though it was small and hard to do so. Overall I really like it! :pir-laugh: