Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#3: The Missing Matriarch

~This topic is meant only for the players who have been chosen to participate into this quest. If you wish to join the game, head to the

Rules & Discussion topic to learn how to do so.~

heroicaquest3.jpg

Summoned by the mystifying family of wizards, six would-be heroes left Heroica Hall and headed to the Ziegfried Manor. The six were:

sig.jpgAlthior Emorith (played by K-nut)

Level 1 Mage

Power: 4

Health: 5/5

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 5

Inventory: Dragoro (WP: 3) ,Topaz (Lightning), Potion, Bedroll

6040477366_1cbdd80346_t.jpgCronk (played by CorneliusMurdock)

Level 1 Knight

Health: 10/10

Gold: 0

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 3), Shield (SP: 2), Potion (2), Bedroll

herocia.pngSignor Bacari (played by Capt.JohnPaul)

Level 1 Ranger

Health: 6/6

Gold:2

Inventory: Crossbow (WP: 3, poisoned), Potion, Bedroll

ava-namyrra.jpgNamyrra Uq (played by Quarryman)

Level 1 Mage

Health: 5/5

Gold: 10

Inventory: Bone-staff (WP: 3), Amethyst (Darkness), Potion

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpgNyx (played by Pandora)

Level 6 Mage (Party Leader)

Power: 10

Health: 10/10

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 17

Inventory: Dawnstar II (WP: 4), Ruby (Fire), Amethyst (Darkness), 2 Potions, Remedy, Tonic, Bedroll, 2 Bones

ava-sylph.jpgSylph Solanum (played by Dannylonglegs)

Level 1 Cleric

Health: 9/9

Gold: 0

Inventory: Staff (WP: 3), Potion, Smoke Bomb, Remedy, Bedroll

The elegant manor laid on the outskirts of the city. As the party approached the golden gates, they swung open on their own. At the front door beyond the garden a peculiar figure was waiting for them. He was wearing a formal suit that hinted he was a butler of sorts, but he wasn't of any race the heroes had ever met. His skin was pale green like that of orcs, but his features were more reptilian.

heroicaquest3-manordoor.jpg

"Ssshhherrroessshh?" the well-dressed creature seemed to ask. What would the party answer to him?

Nyx curtseys respectfully at the gentleman that she has an overwhelming urge to call "Bossk", and seems uncharacteristically serious as she does so.

We are Heroes, or at least wish to prove ourselves to be, sent from Heroica Hall. We present ourselves at this beautiful Manor to offer our assistance to the Great Family, the Ziegfrieds. We hear you are searching for the Grand Wizardine Zelda, Matriarch of this Great House and pledge our skills to you to help seek her out.

With her head still bowed she looks round at the group, and wonders whether Cronk's diplomacy skill will be required with such a revered Great Family.

No no no, I think I understand!

"Ssshhherrroessshh" - take out the ssshh out and we get:

herrroessshh - now we must do the other side. (Life's one big math equation isn't it? :laugh: )

herrroes - an elongated term for for Heroes. So logicaly, he is asking "Heroes?"

Yes, we are the heroes chosen to save the matriarch, now would you mind showing us someone to debrief us?

Cronk wonders if butler might be unusually large kobold. Cronk ready to use all of Crink's skill as diplomat. Cronk ask maybe-kobold to take Cronk's friends and Cronk to Ziegfried leader. Pretty please. Cronk's friends and Cronk only wish to rescue matriarch from evil and like get staarted soon as possible..

Namyrra stands silently at the back, with head politely bowed waiting for Cronk and Nyx to negotiate the entering of the manor.

Althior stood, puzzled by the butlers appearance. With all his travels, he had never encountered this species. Could it be a mixture of Orc and Halfling? Althior would wait and see, though he figured that Bacari's logic was the most logical answer.

The butler bows to the heroes.

"Ttthhhhssshhh wwwhhheee", he hisses, and opens the front door. The butler leads the party through the foyer with a pair of staircases, through a door in between the staircases, across a long hallway and into the parlour, where six wizards are waiting for them. Each of the wizards have a pointy hat in different color. The male wizard in red hat comes to greet them.

heroicaquest3-parlour.jpg

"Good, good, you are here! Thank you, Schuester, you are excused", the red-clad man says to the butler.

"Ssshhhooossshhhtttrrr...." the butler hisses and leaves.

"I am High Conjurator Altair Ziegfried, the one who called you here. Like I said in the notification, a great tragedy has hit our family. Our dearly beloved matriarch, Grand Wizardine Zelda, disappeared mysteriously, and despite our best efforts we have not managed to find a trace of her. Not all my relatives are infatuated with the thought, but we need outside help. That is why I turned to your noble organization. We Ziegfrieds are a proud bunch, but it is time to swallow our pride if we ever hope to find my grandmother."

Altair waves his hand towards the other five wizards in the room.

"You are free to ask any questions you think are necessary from anyone of us. Just say who you want to approach."

The heroes and the wizards stare at each other in tense silence. Who would the party interrogate first?

"I wouldn't mind questioning the High Conjurator first, if that's alright with everyone else. If not him I really don't mind who."

Althior wonders if the entire group will be able to question each mage, or only a few.

Well the High Conjurator did say we were free to ask any questions we think are necessary from any of them. There is always the possibility that talking to the wrong wizard may cause bad things to happen, but there's only one way to find out, and we are Heroes after all. :sceptic:

I'd like to talk to the cheery gentleman in the green hat, I think.

Nyx wanders over to the wizard in the green hat, curtseys once more and smiles sweetly at him.

Good sir, do you have any idea as to the last known whereabouts of your Matriarch? I mean, I know you don't know where she is now, but when and where was she last seen? Please? :sweet:

"I'll go with your reasoning, Nyx" Althior then walked over to the High Conjurator Altair Ziegfried, introduced himself, and started asking questions.

"First, Why were you the one to alert us? Was it your duty as the High Conjurator?"

"When did you last see/talk to your grandmother?"

"Why are all your artifacts red? Is it in honor to you? Are you basically the leader of these people?"

"Is there anyone who had a particular dislike for your grandmother?"

"Were there any clues left behind?"

"Do you have an image of your grandmother? so we can know what she looks like?"

Althior eagerly waited for answers.

Nyx wanders over to the wizard in the green hat, curtseys once more and smiles sweetly at him.

Good sir, do you have any idea as to the last known whereabouts of your Matriarch? I mean, I know you don't know where she is now, but when and where was she last seen? Please? :sweet:

heroicaquest3-zed.jpg

The older man in the green hat nods at Nyx.

"Good to see such a glamorous mage in this rescue party. I am Archmagistrum Zed Ziegfried, and our missing matriarch is my dear old mother. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have, although I honestly don't think you will be able to help us. But you are free to try of course! Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised."

The man lets out a bellowing laughter, but cuts it short.

"I apologize, this is a serious matter, of course. My mother has now been missing for seven days, if I've counted correctly. She disappeared from her bedroom during the night, and we haven't been able to find a trace of her ever since. Her clothes are all still here, so it looks like she left in her night gown. My mother was wise beyond imagination, but she was also getting very old, and we all know what age can do to even the wisest of us."

"I'll go with your reasoning, Nyx" Althior then walked over to the High Conjurator Altair Ziegfried, introduced himself, and started asking questions.

"First, Why were you the one to alert us? Was it your duty as the High Conjurator?"

"When did you last see/talk to your grandmother?"

"Why are all your artifacts red? Is it in honor to you? Are you basically the leader of these people?"

"Is there anyone who had a particular dislike for your grandmother?"

"Were there any clues left behind?"

"Do you have an image of your grandmother? so we can know what she looks like?"

Althior eagerly waited for answers.

heroicaquest3-altair.jpg

Altair Ziegfried raised his eyebrow at the multitude of questions.

"Let's see if I can remember everything you asked me... I will certainly answer to the best of my ability."

"I was the one who posted the plead for help because no one else would. You must excuse my family, but we tend to keep to ourselves. The rest of the city seems to think we are a bit strange, you see. I don't know why that is..."

"I personally saw my grandmother for the last time at the supper on the day before she disappeared. Everything seemed normal at that time, and we did not discuss anything special, at least not as far as I remember."

"I happen to like red, but they are not related to my position as High Conjurator. I am certainly not the leader of this family, my grandmother was, and now that she is missing, the duty falls to my father, the Archmagistrum. The ranks in the wizarding community are very complex, not something a novice mage like you could understand even if I explained it to you... Oh, I must apologize. I am being rude even though you are only trying to help us."

"Dislike? Well, she was a very strict and precise woman, but I believe every one of us looked up to her. I imagine it must not have been easy for my wife and my brother's wife to come into our family, though..."

"That is the strangest thing: there was no clues left behind. My father seems to believe she was dementic and just walked out of the manor, but all her belongings are exactly where they should be. Her bed was unmade when we found it empty, and all her clothes are still in place. None of the family members or the servants heard anything during the night. The front door was not opened, we have imbued it with magical seals to ensure that. She just seems to have vanished into thin air."

"There is a painting of her in the hallway. I can get Schuester fetch it for you, but it will take some time."

"Is that everything you want to ask from me?"

"Thank you for answering my questions High Conjurator. I have one last question."

"What is in the chest behind the blue mage?"

Bacari raises his voice, to ask everyone.

"Has any of you felt anything mysterious, or a strange presence? If everything is there, she did not walk out of this place, she must have taken something, the bed is unmade, she was sleeping, and since I belive she didn't walk out, she must have been under a spell of some sort to teleport. Which I assume is why you guys wanted mostly mages, because there might have been a sorcerer. That's why you didn't hear or see anything. She did not walk out of the building."

EDIT: Just a theory.

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

Cronk question Purple-y Wizard. Hello Purple-y wizard. What role does Purple-y wizard play in household? When Purple-y wizard last see Mtriarch? Does Purple-y wizard know if matriarch like teleport spells? Did Matriarch walk in sleep ever? Cronk sorry if Cronk ask too many questions.

"What is in the chest behind the blue mage?"

Altair smiles faintly.

"What a coincidence you happened to ask that, since it is your reward that is sealed there. The chest contains one of each elemental gem, out of which you get to choose one from when you find my grandmother."

Bacari raises his voice, to ask everyone.

"Has any of you felt anything mysterious, or a strange presence? If everything is there, she did not walk out of this place, she must have taken something, the bed is unmade, she was sleeping, and since I belive she didn't walk out, she must have been under a spell of some sort to teleport. Which I assume is why you guys wanted mostly mages, because there might have been a sorcerer. That's why you didn't hear or see anything. She did not walk out of the building."

The wizards all look at each other suspiciously. Altair coughs.

"Ahem... This is exactly why I requested outside help. We have a multitude of protective spells weaved around this manor, so teleportation out of here is impossible. We also examined the seals, and we are certain they were not breached nor tampered with that night. Unfortunately that only leaves the possibility that at least one of us here is hiding something."

Altair gets disgruntled looks from the other wizards.

Cronk question Purple-y Wizard. Hello Purple-y wizard. What role does Purple-y wizard play in household? When Purple-y wizard last see Mtriarch? Does Purple-y wizard know if matriarch like teleport spells? Did Matriarch walk in sleep ever? Cronk sorry if Cronk ask too many questions.

heroicaquest3-goldraum.jpg

The purple-clad male wizard gave a look of distain to Cronk.

"Oh. An orc. I thought there was a law that forbade your kind from carrying weapons..."

"As far as I could tell from your unintelligible rambling, you want to know who I am. My name is Vice Warlocker Goldraum Ziegfried, and I have the misfortune to be that red-clad clown's brother. He must've listened in on the nanny's fairytales if he really thought calling Heroica would solve anything..."

"I saw my grandmother for the last time when I ran into her in the first floor hallway after supper. She wished me good night, and retired to her chambers. The next morning, the maid alarmed us that she was gone."

"As far as what spells she liked, I don't think there ever was a spell that did not fascinate her. Grandmother certainly wasn't a sleepwalker, she wouldn't let herself out of control like that."

"Oh. An orc. I thought there was a law that forbade your kind from carrying weapons..."

Cronk think Purple-y Wizard not so nice. But Cronk ignore that and continue investigation anyway.

If Matriarch like all kind of spell, did Matriarch have any favorites? Cronk hear story once of mage changing shape into object or animal. Did Matriarch Zelda know how to do such thing?

"I am sorry, High Conjurator for asking many questions. I just want to get to the bottom of this. Though I did miss you explaining to me why they were all red. I do not like to sound like I don't trust you, it's just I missed your explanation."

If Matriarch like all kind of spell, did Matriarch have any favorites? Cronk hear story once of mage changing shape into object or animal. Did Matriarch Zelda know how to do such thing?

Goldraum is growing irritated at the orc.

"Do you really think I know every spell my grandmother knew? She was the Grand Wizardine, after all, I'm just a Vice Warlocker. Not even a Warlocker-in-Chief! Sheesh!"

Meanwhile, Schuester the Butler enters, carrying a large portrait.

"Pppfffainnntnnnggg..." the butler mutters, and shows everyone the painting of Zelda Ziegfried.

heroicaquest3-zeldapainting.jpg

"I am sorry, High Conjurator for asking many questions. I just want to get to the bottom of this. Though I did miss you explaining to me why they were all red. I do not like to sound like I don't trust you, it's just I missed your explanation."

Altair Ziegfried blushes.

"Oh, you didn't mean my clothes, then, but the items we have in the parlour? Our family insignia is the two-headed phoenix, you see, and all matters of cryptozoological creatures have always fascinated our family. We have just gathered most of the red ones to the parlour for interior designing reasons, but you'll see others if you take a tour in our manor."

"Thank you for explaining High Conjurator. What is that around the Matriarchs neck?"

Cronk think Purple-y Wizard should take more interest in Purple-y Wizard's GramGram. Cronk knows all of Cronk's GramGram's favorite hobbies and stuff. Maybe Purple-y Wizard not be so grumpy if Wizard spent more time with Wizard's GramGram. Cronk done talking with mean Purple-y Wizard.

Cronk turn to Mage Altair. Cronk think Matriarch Zelda have impressive chair. Where chair now?

Althior sees a map by Archmagistrum Zed Ziegfried, and goes to inspect it.

"Thank you for explaining High Conjurator. What is that around the Matriarchs neck?"

Altair shrugs.

"A necklace, I suppose?"

Cronk turn to Mage Altair. Cronk think Matriarch Zelda have impressive chair. Where chair now?

"I believe that chair is in her chambers. It is an impressive seat, I concur", Altair responds.

Althior sees a map by Archmagistrum Zed Ziegfried, and goes to inspect it.

Upon closer inspection, what Althior thought was a map was just a pattern on the tabletop.

Cronk think mage in tan hat look friendly. Cronk ask that mage what name is and ask if Mage knows if Matriarch know how to shapeshift. Or turn invisible.

If no leads here after all mages talked to, Cronk think maybe party should look in Matriarch's room since that where Matriarch last known to be.

Nyx curtseys once more, keen not to upset this venerable Great House. She hopes to lead by example, and not infuriate those with great power and the means to give her something shiny.

High Conjurator Altair, the picture looks as though it was painted whilst the Grand Wizardine was sat in front of the fireplace. Can you tell me more about the items which adorn the fireplace, please? And if you would be so kind, could you also tell me if there is anything special about this particular chair? Although I do agree, it is most beautifully crafted.

Cronk think mage in tan hat look friendly. Cronk ask that mage what name is and ask if Mage knows if Matriarch know how to shapeshift. Or turn invisible.

If no leads here after all mages talked to, Cronk think maybe party should look in Matriarch's room since that where Matriarch last known to be.

heroicaquest3-mabel.jpg

The female wizard in tan outfit smiles at the ogre.

"Hi there! I have to apologize for my husband's rudeness, he's just not a peoples person. I am Secondary Spiritist Mabel Ziegfried, and I wed to this family just about ten years ago. As for my grandmother-in-law's abilities, I know for certain she could both shapeshift and turn invisible, but why would she choose to do that the night she disappeared? And she has not leave the premises, or else there would have been traces in the magic seals. Where could she be, after seven days?"

The party is not ready to leave the parlour just yet, since they haven't even talked to everyone.

Nyx curtseys once more, keen not to upset this venerable Great House. She hopes to lead by example, and not infuriate those with great power and the means to give her something shiny.

High Conjurator Altair, the picture looks as though it was painted whilst the Grand Wizardine was sat in front of the fireplace. Can you tell me more about the items which adorn the fireplace, please? And if you would be so kind, could you also tell me if there is anything special about this particular chair? Although I do agree, it is most beautifully crafted.

Altair makes a motion towards the fireplace.

"The items on the fireplace are a piece of amber containing the remains of an extinct bug, a statue carved by the indigenous people of the Eversummer Island, and a lamp. I don't think there's anything related to this case in them, nor in my grandmother's chair. If I may give you a suggestion, you should be inquiring more about our backgrounds and motives rather than spending time investigating the items. Trust me, we have searched every nook and cranny of this manor in these past seven days, both physically and magically."