Runamuck

Runamuck’s Avatar MOCs

With all the excuses I could come up with I should be a race driver, if Top Gear is to be believed.

I have tried to touch up the sloppy paint work a bit.

img1006z.jpg

img1007tc.jpg

Also in general a better look at the figure I suppose.

Koalaexpert’s build gave me an idea:

img1008hw.jpg

I made my own version of Korra’s airbending training…

img1010yn.jpg

…But what do we have here? A crank!

img1011d.jpg

I wanted to mechanize it, so it actually spins.

img1013qu.jpg

Not a great picture to illustrate it, but the gates spin when you turn the crank.

img1019yf.jpg

Then again, we all know how Korra’s early training session ended.

Edited by Runamuck

Ugh, triple post.

I had a few request by some people on another board, so here are the results of that:

spinxr.gif

A few people asked if I could make a video of the airbending gates spinning, so my brother and I made this little GIF.

img1035w.jpg

A pro-bending arena was another thing people wanted to see.

img1038to.jpg

Admittedly some of the field proportions got a little squashed.

img1040e.jpg

A close-up to get a look at the details. I have placed blue bricks under the grates to resemble the water. There are a set of transparent green and red bricks to resemble the lights that glow when the game starts and when a player crosses the line. The “clay disks” are placed on top of tiles so they are easy to get up and throw at opposing players.

img1044vw.jpg

The first lineup of the Fire Ferrets, Mako, Bolin and the Pete Best of the group, Hasook.

img1041p.jpg

Current lineup of the Fire Ferrets with Korra replacing Hasook.

img1045hz.jpg

The opposing team, in this case the Tigerdillos. I know that the helmet that the CMF boxer uses is closer in appearance to the actual helmets on the show, but I only have two, and I wouldn’t have any in a color for the opposing team. That being said, I went with the ordinary crash helmets instead.

img1046d.jpg

Speaking of fire ferrets: Pabu! I unfortunately didn’t have the piece I wanted to use for its head in the right color, but this works relatively well too.

Very cool! I like how you used mechanics to simulate airbending on the training platform. The Mechanist would be proud. :grin: However, it would have been nice if it was actually circle shaped like in the show.

The pro-bending arena is also pretty nice. I like the details on the ground, but not so much the jagged sides. I understand if you don't have enough wedge pieces to make it smooth, but there are other techniques you can use to make it less jagged. And I would use flex tubes for the railing. I might make a pro-bending arena myself some day. And yes, the Boxer's helmet is the first thing I thought of when thinking about recreating the players, but alas I only have one Boxer too, and I don't live in the UK, so I can't get the exclusive blue one coming out. :sceptic: Oh well, I guess I'll go with your solution.

Mind setting up a mid-game action scene? :sweet:

Pabu is cute, even though he suffers from the same blockiness that all your creature MOCs have. :tongue:

I agree that it would look a little better if the airbending gate field was round, but as a proof of concept a square one works too. I don’t use that much technic, so it took a little trial and error working with gear sizes and distances between them before I got to the final version.

The jagged edges are a bit lazy of me, but I don’t think I have any wedges with the right dimensions. What kind of flex tubes were you thinking of?

How do you make tiny creature without them getting blocky or being molded from scratch?

Time to address the various requests:

Fist a little mid-game scene from a bending match.

img1066p.jpg

Looks like the Fire Ferrets are taking a bit of a beating, Korra is already in zone 3.

img1067ia.jpg

Looks like Bolin nailed the Platypus Bears’ (sorry, got the team name wrong last time) waterbender pretty good.

img1057h.jpg

The Lieutenant was a request, and I also wanted to make some equalist mooks. There are both male and female equalists.

img1060d.jpg

The Lieutenant even has his generator pack for his electrified kali sticks. The bolos for the mooks sure were easy to make :tongue: .

img1053ro.jpg

Asami Sato and her moped was another request. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a good solution for a brick build moped that I was able to build with the parts I had available.

img1054h.jpg

Instead I modified a standard motorcycle a little to make it look a bit more like a moped. At least I was lucky enough to have a spare yellow one.

img1056t.jpg

Asami in what I guess are her casual clothes, we haven’t seen too much of her yet. I think the makeup turned out rather well.

img1047vu.jpg

A Satomobile was requested, so why not make a model with a little style.

img1049bx.jpg

The Tripple Threat Triad hotrod. Unfortunately I only had doors that were 2 bricks tall for one side for some odd reason. Well these doors work too, even if they are a bit chunky.

img1051tq.jpg

As a vehicle without a driver is a little boring I decided to make Shady Shin as well.

img1062dj.jpg

The last request I got this time was for Gommu, the friendly hobo from the park.

img1063d.jpg

He must have found a comb at some point I guess. I could really use some more variation in my selection of gray hair. Also a new face for Korra. I have been trying to make some improved faces for some of my figures; they will probably show up at some point.

img1065du.jpg

And just for the giggles a picture of his beauteous bush shot though a rose-tinted and sparkly (even if it doesn’t show so well) LEGO piece.

I felt like it had been a while since I had built something that was a bit bigger than usual.

img1075ek.jpg

Behold, Phoenix King Ozai, complete with his personal airship and new face sticker.

img1077si.jpg

Kirov reporting…uh…I mean the Phoenix King’s airship in all its glory. There are doors that can be opened in each end so you can access the interior.

img1078qj.jpg

The control room or whatever it is called on an airship. The royal firebenders I made earlier are piloting the airship.

img1080o.jpg

In the other end of the airship I placed a furnace there to create some hot air to keep this giant flying.

img1083ze.jpg

I have placed a hatch on top of the middle section of the airship. There is a shoot with ladders that goes all the way though the airship. It connects the bomb bay, the control room and the furnace room and the balloon part, which is hollow. You can see the bombs at the very bottom.

img1088to.jpg

A view of the bomb hatch underneath the airship.

img1089dw.jpg

There are several ways that you can tell Ozai’s airship apart from the other on the show. It is bigger, it has a dark stripe running along the top, and it has a phoenix head on the front instead of a …uh… what do you call that thing… lion-dog head I guess it could be called.

Edited by Runamuck

Thanks for the mid-game scene! Looks great. Nice use of the water fountain piece.

I was thinking of the kind of flex tubes that are used as cables on Podracers, but any kind will do, I think. If you feel like improving the arena further, how about adding a play feature where you can raise the mid circle for tiebreaker face-offs? :sweet:

And I know making organic looking brick-built creatures is hard, but it's possible. For example, leaving studs exposed can help make forms feel more rounded sometimes. Also, I still think you should use droid/skeleton arms and legs for them.

Ozai's airship is really cool! I love all the play features, custom figs, and the way you made the phoenix head! Just imagine we could have gotten an official set like this. :wub:

The raised middle sounds like an interesting idea, if I can find a way to pull it off. I don’t think that that particular feature had been shown yet when I build it.

I’ll try to remember you advice the next time I have a good reason to build a creature of some sort.

I was lucky during the weekend; I got some better hair for Gummo:

img1110ik.jpg

Still a little too neat, but now it is standing up in the air at least.

Back to addressing the requests from the other board:

img1091iv.jpg

Narook’s Seaweed Noodlery with Naga “parked” outside.

img1093bl.jpg

A look from above, it appears that there are some guests we know.

img1094ak.jpg

I have tried my best to get some details on the walls.

img1095m.jpg

Bolin and Korra relaxing after the pro-bending game.

img1096bt.jpg

The reception and kitchen side of the restaurant.

img1098oo.jpg

The VIP lounge at the back of the restaurant.

img1099ap.jpg

A better look at the special guests, the Wolfbats and some fangirls.

img1102w.jpg

A better look at the various photos on the back wall.

img1113bu.jpg

People asked if I could take a picture of Bolin with Pabu on his shoulders, and this was the best I could do. The new flowers from the CMF bride fit the chain of events nicely.

img1103x.jpg

Anyone who has seen “The spirit of the competition” knows what is coming.

img1106z.jpg

Surprisingly it was actually possible to make Mako carry Bolin over his shoulder.

img1107qq.jpg

A better look at the Wolfbats and the girls.

img1109c.jpg

I have had this wolf head lying around, so I thought it could be funny to make a little picture of Tahno during the Wolfbats’ corny intro sequence.

img1108m.jpg

I thought it was a neat idea to try making a double sided head, so here we also have a really miserable looking Tahno as well.

A few odds and ends in today’s Avatar MOC’s.

img1114uh.jpg

Look out! It’s a wine monster!

img1115yn.jpg

Sokka got swatted, and Katara is doing her best to cut the monster to pieces. That Bionicle “frost shield” is actually the reason why I build this; I thought it would make a neat effect piece.

img1116wl.jpg

That's no monster, it’s just a pants less water bending philosopher named Huu.

img1118zs.jpg

Zuko has been made up for his little date with Jin that Iroh arranged. Another build motivated by a new piece, in this case the CMF computer programmer’s hair.

img1117m.jpg

Jin is apparently not too fond of Zuko’s frankly rather dorky looking hair.

img1122xn.jpg

A better look at the door of the tea shop without the figures.

img1121hs.jpg

Jin, Zuko in new clothes, and Huu.

And now for something from the new series:

img1124xr.jpg

Republic city’s finest, the metal bending police corps. Captain Saikhan, police chief Lin Beifong, and the rather unlucky officer Song. Funny how a face that is common among LEGO City police officers fits Saikhan rather well.

img1126xt.jpg

Just another day’s work, apprehending Shady Shin. Considering Lin’s brutal looking weapons it’s no wonder Shin looks quite scared. I’m using chains for the cops, as I don’t have many wires with studs on the end.

Edited by Runamuck

Better go out with a bang.

I had some interesting requests on the other board.

Ah, let’s start with the picture I should have taken a while ago when I built the thing:

img1128pu.jpg

Naga scaring the crap out of Tahno.

Now to the new stuff:

While I didn’t want to build an entire race track, I can still at least do a little scene from Asami’s little race:

img1136rr.jpg

Asami promised to take Korra on a little spin on the Future Industries test track that her father owns. To make things a little more exciting they had an actual opponent to race. Asami is a quite cunning driver, as she and Korra cross the finishing line while their opponent spins out.

img1137v.jpg

img1139kd.jpg

The two Satomobile race cars.

Speaking of Satomobiles:

img1140so.jpg

img1142op.jpg

Asami’s, or maybe her father Hiroshi’s, personal Satomobile, now used by Team Avatar as Bolin so nicely puts it. I don’t have a whole lot of experience building cars that seat more than one or two minifigures, and while there are some thing I’m not entirely happy with on it, such as it riding too high, it’s not too bad for a first attempt.

Now for something I really wanted to try and build:

img1131j.jpg

I really love robots, as if my Transformers inspired screen name didn’t already reveal that, so I simply had to try and build one of Equalist platinum mechs.

img1134i.jpg

Unknown to everyone, including his own daughter Asami, Hiroshi Sato had been funding the Equalists, and had been building weapons for them; among these the platinum mechs and the electrical shock gloves.

img1145z.jpg

A better look at a happier looking Hiroshi (I made a double-sided head for him) and Asami in her racing getup.

There was also a request for Koizilla. I have wanted to make Zhao for a long time, and I could reuse some old props for this one.

Koizilla!

img1148ha.jpg

After Zhao killed Tui the moon spirit, La the ocean spirit, with a little help from Aang, went on a rampage against the Firenation Fleet that was invading the northern watertribe . As La possessed Aang it took the form of a gigantic fish monster made of water, usually called Koizilla by the fans. Sadly I didn’t have any light blue to make the glowing bits of the monster, but that color is pretty rare in general, so white will have to do.

img1148ha.jpg

The monster has movable arms, but do not stay in place on their own.

img1150sf.jpg

The chest bubble contains Aang. It is lit up from the back although it doesn’t show too well.

img1153h.jpg

A close-up of the face. The moustache tendrils make mile look a bit…walrusish.

img1151ll.jpg

img1152gx.jpg

Swiping a battle ship in two is easy for this angry spirit. This was also a good reason for me to rebuild the Firenation ship that I made a long time ago.

img1130zzh.jpg

Admiral Zhao’s final moments. The last thing La did on it’s rampage was to kill Zhao by dragging him into the deep.

img1129f.jpg

Zhao is taking the wrath of La fairly dignified, he refuses any help from Zuko.

img1146lm.jpg

A better look at Zhao and Zuko’s arctic clothes. Funny how Luke Skuwalker’s shirt make a good substitute for Zuko’s.

Do you have any specific figures in mind? I might try to improve them.

Hiroshi and Zuko also for the seaweed monster (dont know if it is still intact) maybe add some clips and vines/that seaweed piece from aquaraiders

The criticism is appreciated; it is nice to know where there is room for improvement.

But I’m probably not going to change much in this case.

While Zuko’s face certainly isn’t perfect, I do not want to change it for multiple reasons. By the standards of some of the terrible face I have created Zuko’s is not the worst looking, and his asymmetrical face is in general a bit hard to pin down properly. Zuko goes through a lot of hairstyle and headgear changes throughout the series, which can me pretty hard on the face sticker when you try to recreate it in LEGO. The current sticker has not caused too many problems in that regard so I’m pretty satisfied with it that. A third problem is that the stickers I have been using lately haven’t been sticking all that well to the heads. This is particularly a problem when the character don’t have any hair or headgear to keep the sticker somewhat in place, such as Zuko does during most of the first season. You can unfortunately actually see the peeling stickers in some of my photos; the Lieutenant is one of the figures who have been having that problem.

I’m probably not going to do much about Hiroshi either. I actually like how both his scowling and his happy faces turned out, and so far he hasn’t appeared all that much, so he is probably not going to get that much use in general.

I tried to use some of those seaweed pieces for the swamp monster, specifically as the “fingers” on the attacking arm. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough of them to actually make it look good. The body of the monster looks pretty solid on the show, so I didn’t think that the sea weed would look quite right there either.

I have been trying to improve some of my figures and builds over time even if it doesn’t always show up in my picture. While I haven’t take pictures of it, I have given the red racecar new “suspension” identical to that on the yellow one. I have also improved a few figures that I haven’t made any builds for yet. I have tried to make new faces and occasionally torsos for Mai, Iroh and Tenzin.

I really like the constructive criticism I get here on the board, it’s a good source for new ideas.

I recieved a lot of books as birthday presents this year, the new LEGO idea book, the Allspark Almanac, The Avatar art book, Avatar The Lost Adventures and the two parts of The Promise that have been released so far. This along with my brother having reached the Library part in Halo gave me an idea.

img1156ff.jpg

Wan Shi Tong, he who knows ten thousand things, one of the various spirit creatures seen in Avatar The Last Airbender. Wan Shi Tong is the creator and keeper of an ancient library, and regards himself as all-knowing.

img1157gq.jpg

Much like a real owl he can spin his head all the way around, the LEGO version probably even more so. Wan Shi Tong does not like it when his library is misused by humans for the purpose of war.

img1159ud.jpg

While his peaceful form is that of an owl, nature lies, he is more than meets the eye. There is not trickery involved here; I actually made him able to more or less transform from an owl to his more dragonlike form. This is why I thought his build would be fun.

img1160w.jpg

Run, Sokka, run!

"That's called Sokka-style - Learn it!" :laugh:

Awesome Moc from one of my favorite episodes! The transforming feature is nicely done! Your other latest Mocs were good as well. That Koizilla sure is impressive! Keep it up! :thumbup:

It has been a little while again, hasn’t it?

I had a bit of luck in finding some parts that I have needed, and in addition to that I have built a few other things that I have wanted to do.

img1174yy.jpg

I was lucky enough to find some pink figure parts, so here we finally have Ty Lee, Azula and Mai together in their regular outfits rather than beach wear. I have also tried to improve Mai’s face a bit.

img1168up.jpg

I was also lucky enough to get myself a gray ponytail hairpiece, I think I may have all types of gray LEGO hair that I know of now. I decided to make Hama as I really liked the episode “The Puppetmaster”. Hama is a very specialized waterbender, she has trained herself to find any “alternative” water sources when possible. She demonstrates this skill by among other things sucking the water out of a field of flowers.

img1175y.jpg

A better look at Ty Lee, Mai and Hama. Mai’s eye color is what my yellow pen ends up looking like if I smudge it though other colors for too long without replacing it.

img1169wr.jpg

A canyon crawler from “The Great Divide”, partially because the spider and crocodile hybrid looks pretty neat, and to prove that even the most clichéd of episodes might have something interesting to build.

img1172w.jpg

Long Feng and his minions: Joo Dee and two Dai Lee agents. I have always felt that the CMF cheerleader’s smile looked a little forced.

img1177ye.jpg

And last but not least, the mysterious Blue Spirit. It took quite a few tries to get the mask right, and I’m pretty happy with how the result turned out.

Nice batch again, although Ty Lee does look a bit sloppy as you said. I especially like the Blue Spirit and the Puppetmaster scene. Have you tried the Hula Dancer's head for Joo Dee? That face always reminds me of her as it looks much more forced than any of the others to me.

Haha, I remember this part from the Library episode:

Sokka: It's a special knot!

Wang Shitong: You're not very bright, are you???

I think that's how it went. Great MOCs, hope you make more soon! I especially like the Dai Li agents and the Blue Spirit.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

I have tried to improve the runny colors on Ty Lee’s torso, and I think you are right about the hula dancer face, but since there is more than one Joo Dee both could actually be used.

It is nice to see that what I build is appreciated.

But let’s bring the new stuff into motion:

img1178mx.jpg

The Tank-train, Azula’s personal land transport.

img1184fi.jpg

I’m happy that I had enough chain links to pull this off. The harpoons on the side move up and down, and the plow on the front is also able to move up and down a bit.

img1187u.jpg

The inside of the locomotive. Li and Lo are driving it, as it was jokingly suggested in the art book.

img1189i.jpg

A better look at Lo and Li.

img1191or.jpg

It was never shown what was inside the first cart, but I made it a passenger cart for the 3 deadly ladies.

img1193g.jpg

The second cart was where they kept the mongoose dragons. Admittedly I can’t cram 3 of them in there, but I was able to get one in.

img1194ts.jpg

I actually had enough green pieces to make a mongoose dragon for each of the girls.

img1197gw.jpg

A little scene from “Appa’s Lost Day”. The confrontation between “Ozai’s Angels” and the avatar’s “Fanclub”.

Of course you are appreciated! You are doing a great job fleshing out the Lego Avatar universe! :sweet: I wish I had more time to build some Avatar Mocs myself.

That train looks very cool, although a bit underscaled I think. And the mongoose dragons look so cute! :wub: But Li and Lo don't look nearly as creepy as they should, and that hairpiece doesn't really suit them. Too bad you don't have two gray ponytails. Oh well.

Time to address a few requests:

I was asked to make something from the latest comic con, but as I don’t like going too much into spoiler material that lacks a larger context I decided to go for a joke from an older comic con:

img1205k.jpg

It also helps to show of the new faces I made for the 3 of them.

I was also asked to make try and make something with the battle between the royal guards and Team Avatar as they were trying to enter the Earth King’s palace. AS I have in general neglected Earthkingdom soldiers a bit I’ll start with some ordinary ones first.

img1198qy.jpg

Four regular Earthkingdom soldiers. They can be used for many different things…

img1201zr.jpg

…Such as Gow’s fight with Zuko…

img1204g.jpg

…Or when a group of soldiers captured Iroh.

img1210bp.jpg

Back to the royal guards…

img1211ab.jpg

And how they couldn’t stop Team Avatar from seeing the Earth King.

img1213xs.jpg

Speaking of the Earth King.

img1214z.jpg

The 52nd Earth King, Kuei. The black fez was the best I could come up with for his hat, even if it kind of the wrong shape.

Edited by Runamuck

Considering I have built Kuei, I should probably also build his fuzzbuddy Bosco.

img1217h.jpg

I bearly had the right brown pieces for it, but I think I succeeded in pulling it off anyways. Bosco takes a bit of inspiration from the LEGO creator 30026 Panda. The neck is a little weird looking when seen directly from its side, but it does have its purpose.

img1219ma.jpg

With a few tweaks Bosco is able to sit down too. The “neck hook” does not attach fully to the clip, but it keeps it in place.

img1221g.jpg

Speaking of royal pets, here we have King Bumi’s gorilla-goat Flopsie.

img1222v.jpg

Despite his fierce looks Flopsie is actually quite friendly.

img1224ym.jpg

I also decided to make some otter-penguins.

img1225bk.jpg

I build in a joint so it wouldn’t grind its face against the ground while it was sliding on tis belly.

img1228oz.jpg

Wanna go penguin sledding with me?

While on the subject of Avatar beasts and royal pets I have built myself a couple of dragons.

img1230fv.jpg

Fang, avatar Roku’s animal guide.

img1233s.jpg

And Firelord Sozin’s personal dragon mount.

While it may not be completely accurate, I thought it would also be a good idea to use the red and blue dragon for a couple of other pictures.

img1238p.jpg

Zuko’s little fever nightmare from “The Earth King”.

img1234c.jpg

And the scene with Ran and Shaw from “The Firebending Masters”.