Garmadon looks really unbalanced with four arms, and way too tall. But I have to say I am liking the new armor, it helps to further the divide between Ninja(kingdoms) and Ninjago. I have to say that the boat looks like the best vehicle, since it isn't so futuristic. And as others stated above, there is a clear power rangers vibe going on. At least Lego doesn't get a new cast of Ninjas every year, with the originals fading into legend.

The boat looks better in the flying mode.It's cool,that there brown base for the canon on the ship.

It seems to be that ninja's have an improved version of ninja head wrap,but with golden patters(like in new Ninja Gaiden games).Or am i wrong?

Garmadon looks really unbalanced with four arms, and way too tall. But I have to say I am liking the new armor, it helps to further the divide between Ninja(kingdoms) and Ninjago. I have to say that the boat looks like the best vehicle, since it isn't so futuristic. And as others stated above, there is a clear power rangers vibe going on. At least Lego doesn't get a new cast of Ninjas every year, with the originals fading into legend.

My thoughts exactly. The minifigs, in general, aren't impressing me too much. I'm mostly just impressed with the flying boat.

I don't think anybody would look at any of these sets and assume that this was once a Ninja theme. :tongue: Oh, well. I prefer futuristic vehicles regardless, which is probably why I'm suddenly interested in Ninjago.

Is that Nya I can see in the spinner pick :wink:

Well its a female face so it probably is Nya.

Shame there's no green ninja yet, but from what i've heard, its coming in wave 2. :excited:

About Lloyd Garmadon. I don't mind his name, as long as hes not the main villan.

Its very good to see Garmadon isn't good, and the four arms look pretty good. Just remember, in the film, he says he will soon have enough power to possess the four weapons.

Another thing is that there seems to be a very large wave for a second year of a action theme. Maybe, this points towards another year, or maybe longer.....

I fully expect TLG is counting on Ninjago continuing. How long depends on how successful the theme can remain. But so far, Ninjago has been a phenomenon. The one-hour TV special was successful enough that the theme is getting picked up for a full TV series later this year, kids have fallen in love with the spinners, and there is a heavy multimedia aspect to promote the theme, much as was the case with BIONICLE. In fact, some stuff I've read has suggested that TLG might very well expect this to become their next BIONICLE, and are giving it just as much of an initial push as they did for that theme. Seems to be paying off so far.

The Samurai is almost certainly Nya-- look at the torso as well as the face. It's the same as Nya's for this year. And with a continuing TV series (and a boy-oriented product line) which do you consider more likely-- introducing a brand-new female character or increasing the presence of the one already written? The name "Samurai" given for the set also suggests to me that she is meant to be a sort of a "mystery character," much like the Blue Spirit in Avatar: The Last Airbender. And mystery characters like that almost always tend to be already-known characters, at least from my experience.

My thoughts exactly. The minifigs, in general, aren't impressing me too much. I'm mostly just impressed with the flying boat.

I don't think anybody would look at any of these sets and assume that this was once a Ninja theme. :tongue: Oh, well. I prefer futuristic vehicles regardless, which is probably why I'm suddenly interested in Ninjago.

Well, Ninjago was a bit of an anachronism stew to begin with. We had ninjas with traditional buildings and dragons and skeletons with crazy trucks, motorbikes, and helicopters. In the TV series and other story media, it's even more striking. Kai's very traditional-looking village is wired with telephone lines, Jay comes from a huge metropolis, etc. In the original concept video I keep linking to, all the characters' origins were from a decidedly modern setting-- Kai is found in a dance hall, while Jay is (amusingly) playing a rather familiar game system with a nunchuk-like controller.

In this wave, the things people will recognize as being ninja-inspired-- for instance, the characters' Japanese-inspired costumes and weapons-- will probably evoke the idea of ninjas about as well as the first wave of Ninjago stuff last year. There are no rice-paper windows this time around, but keep in mind that most people were also underwhelmed by the amount of traditional Japanese stuff in the first wave this year, and then the Fire Temple came about and showed how this theme could truly match the artistry of the original Ninja theme.

Well, I've been saying 'any day now' for many weeks, but now that the day has finally arrived...

I'm really not sure what to think. :wacko:

I really like the minifigures, though. The spinners are great, I might just have to buy some.

The sets themselves, not so much. I can safely say I won't be buying any of the vehicles...

Ah, what am I saying? The vehicles, as much as I want to hate them, are bizarrely appealing.

Kai's bike/jetpack, Zane's snowmobile, Jay's jet, Cole's Batmobile. :laugh:

I'm really having conflicted opinions. One second I think they're awesome, the next I hate them and vice-versa.

I think this theme may be so insane that it's messing with my head. I really don't know what to think.

One thing I am sure on, is the minifig's are outstanding. They really look outstanding. :wub:

I am NOT a huge NinjaGo guy, though I have liked all the cool pearl gold elements that have been introduced.

I, however, did notice one piece in these new sets I am in LOVE with. That is a new profile brick... the texture on the brick is... well... BRICK as in like a brickwall. Take a look at # 9440 to see what I am talking about. New profile brick ON!!

Edit: Looks like Siren ot Titans and Kris Kelvin already brought those awesome sauce bricks up. Credit to you peeps!

Edited by ZCerberus

Oky, how is this being like Power Rangers a bad thing? :laugh:

Let's just say I'm not a big fan of that franchise.

Oh frell, how can a cool theme like Ninjago get demolished by a new wave.

Garmaddon 4 arms = ugly.

Snake people = ugly

All new Ninja outfits = ugly

spinners with extra bit on it = unfair

Shrine tolerable

Green scorpion mobile = ugly (fits better in alien conquest)

Blue jet is nice but totally NOT in Ninjago. Stupid, dumb, crap.

Red bike looks much less cool then chopov's bike.

The black car looks like a bad technic concept, ugly as heck

The green copter looks sleak but same issues as the jet.

The boat looks cool but less cool then I hoped for but still the only good set in the wave.

I wonder what the kids will say...

Wow. Troll much? :hmpf: It's OK if you don't like them, but just calling everything "ugly" isn't exactly a reasonable critique.

...GO,GO,POWER NINJAS,

MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER NINJAS...LOL :grin:

I'll gonna sing that whenever I buy a new spinner or a set.

Joking aside, I think that some vehicles are really good,like Rattlecopter or flying boat and minifigs are even better, especially Hypnobrai and Nya.

Very interesting. While I can't say I really like any of the sets (they seem too over-the-top, for a generally over-the-top theme), I do like the new ninja gear (notice the golden bucket handle on the samurai helmet? :laugh: ). The flying ship looks like it has potential, so I am looking forward to better pictures of that.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that the Ninjago boosterpacks have very similar packaging to the Collectible minifigures? I also noticed that the recommended ages on the booster packs are 6-16, which I found strange because Ninjago seems a very kid-oriented theme. Maybe this will change once these are out.

Well, Ninjago was a bit of an anachronism stew to begin with. We had ninjas with traditional buildings and dragons and skeletons with crazy trucks, motorbikes, and helicopters. In the TV series and other story media, it's even more striking. Kai's very traditional-looking village is wired with telephone lines, Jay comes from a huge metropolis, etc. In the original concept video I keep linking to, all the characters' origins were from a decidedly modern setting-- Kai is found in a dance hall, while Jay is (amusingly) playing a rather familiar game system with a nunchuk-like controller.

I think the modern aspects are a good decision. Now a days, young boys dont tend to be drawn to historic toys, so it's a wise move by TLG to mix modern elements in.

Ninjago is reminding me more and more of Exo- Force for some reason. I've showed my 13 year old son the prelims and he's happy (hes a big Ninjago fan).

Jay's peronality hasn't changed a lot from the concept. It seems hes a whiz with electronics (See The New Masters Of Spinjitsu as a reference), so therefore he would be playing on a Wii.

Just a question when is the TV series coming out? Will it be showing in the UK?

Let's just say I'm not a big fan of that franchise.

Neither am I. Frankly, my parents never let me watch it, and I never made any effort to see what it was all about after I became old enough to make my own decisions about that sort of thing. But I can still appreciate the idea of colorful "ninja superhero" type characters with awesome vehicles, doing battle against monstrous fantasy villains.

Another TV show I think Ninjago has resembled a bit from the beginning with all its anachronisms is Xiaolin Showdown. It's likewise a fantasy martial arts cartoon with characters from different backgrounds being chosen as elemental warriors for the forces of good. And likewise, it takes place in a setting where magical fantasy weapons, traditional temples, and modern technology mysteriously coexist. I wasn't a huge fan of Xiaolin Showdown either, but again I appreciated it for what it was.

Also, Lance, I'm glad you see the similarities to Exo-Force! Obviously there's the obvious "four main protagonists" system that TLG seems to be fond of, but there's also a bit of that same anachronism in Exo-Force, what with the ancient city full of traditional Japanese architecture and oh-by-the-way GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS! *insert ridiculous guitar riff*

I guess one factor is that anachronistic settings offer more creative liberties. In a straight historical fantasy theme, you couldn't necessarily have such colorful characters, fearsome vehicles, or crazy action features without things seeming out of place. But as soon as you add some modern or futuristic elements and make it clear that those are an integral part of this world, then you're free to draw inspiration from anywhere at all.

This is part of why I hope the TV series and other story media have a good explanation for the Ninjas' vehicles. In the first year, the Ninjas clearly represent tradition, in their architecture, transportation, weapons, and costumes (to an extent, anyway). In contrast, the "bad guys" were a bunch of undead hipsters with crazy motor vehicles. So giving vehicles to the ninjas will take a bit more than Sensei Wu asking them to "check out the sweet rides in my garage that I've totally always had." Thankfully, the writing of the Ninjago TV episodes we've seen has been excellent (IMO), so I'm anticipating a decent story role for each and every new set design when the series expands to a full television series.

The pics are labeled as confidential plus lego has not officially released the pics as yet so legally it would not be wise to publish the pics within this topic.......if you have the links just visit them ....so stop asking to put the pics up no offense and not trying to be rude.

Edited by kermit

I think the modern aspects are a good decision. Now a days, young boys dont tend to be drawn to historic toys, so it's a wise move by TLG to mix modern elements in.

Ninjago is reminding me more and more of Exo- Force for some reason. I've showed my 13 year old son the prelims and he's happy (hes a big Ninjago fan).

Jay's peronality hasn't changed a lot from the concept. It seems hes a whiz with electronics (See The New Masters Of Spinjitsu as a reference), so therefore he would be playing on a Wii.

Just a question when is the TV series coming out? Will it be showing in the UK?

Good point about the Exo-Force parallels - that hadn't occurred to me. I've always paid close attention to aesthetics when I judge a LEGO theme, and I think what I like most about this new wave of NinjaGo is definitely the clever designs. That Snake helicopter is just gorgeously contoured, and seems to include a lot of useful parts. And the flying ship, as I've said, is still a standout to me.

...but I do have to say that the nonsensical setting of the theme is putting a pretty big damper on my excitement. That was also my problem with the original wave. It wasn't "Ninja" enough for me to appreciate it as a classical "Ninja" revival (which I would have enjoyed), and it wasn't "Fantasy" enough for me to just have fun with the fantasy world. Then it got surprisingly high-tech, but the cobbled together designs were a turn off, so there was no real appeal there.

Now, I actually really like the aesthetics here, but I just can't see myself taking this theme seriously enough to drop any serious money on it. :sceptic:

We'll see, though. Perhaps some clear pictures and (eventually) reviews will change my mind.

I really like the snake men. Like, quite a bit, actually. Only cruddy thing is I want the cool, long-tailed one, and they only seem to come in sets I have no interest in.

Which, sadly, is most of them. I'm sure I'll bite the bullet on a couple, because the figures are nice, but I really have no interest in the vehicles. Guess it's off to Bricklink for Yig and his Serpent Men.

Funny thing about the brick-brick: people really seem to like it, but it's so...dare I say it... Mega Bloky?

Edited by IAmWillGibson

Wow. Troll much? :hmpf: It's OK if you don't like them, but just calling everything "ugly" isn't exactly a reasonable critique.

Art (Lego design can be called that as well) and rating it is subjective and one can say ugly or fine without needed backup.

... anywhoo, I showed it to my kids ( I did not give my views ):

daughter : Does not like the new sets, except the new spinners.

son : Likes the green scorpion mobile and boat.

wife: Likes the boat.

Okay, moderatory stuff:

No deeplinked pictures. Follow the links if you want to, if you can't it looks like you are too late to catch them.

Other Stuff:

Four Main protagonists is a common trope since story telling began, really, someone who uses Anachronism Stew must have come across that one :wink: . Maybe in the cartoon we'll see more of the inherent tropes that define these characters. It might even count as a Five Man Band if Nya is more involved.

I love how this theme is developing. It is just like Power Rangers, first there is the basic outfit, then they get a slightly better version and finally a super armour mode. (Sells more action figures that way) I watched the more SF series of Power Rangers (Time Force, SPD and RPM) it was the most sci fi thing I could watch at home. :tongue: I know I will be buying the sets and a handful of spinners.

Wow, images! My thoughts:

Helicopter: A snake's head, as I predicted. Very nice, actually, and the colour's nice.

Cycle and shrine: Not much, but nice small sets. Potential army builders.

Jet: Could probably be in another theme. :tongue: Pretty good.

Four-wheeled vehicle thing: Wow! That looks very Batman-like. I did not expect that.

Snake jeep: Again, the colour combined with the sleek look makes it pretty.

Ship: Maybe it's just me, but this seems kind of... disappointing. It's a sudden change from all the nice colourful vehicles. It is great, but I don't know...

My standards have probably been lowered due to the colours. It's really nice to see multicoloured vehicles rather than the repetitive black/white/purple theme of the previous waves.

I am, however, a little annoyed that I can't finish my current army. I wonder if the spinners or the boosters will be Chinese plastic. My perfectionist instincts still prefers the more expensive method of buying sets.

I really like the snake men. Like, quite a bit, actually. Only cruddy thing is I want the cool, long-tailed one, and they only seem to come in sets I have no interest in.

Which, sadly, is most of them. I'm sure I'll bite the bullet on a couple, because the figures are nice, but I really have no interest in the vehicles. Guess it's off to Bricklink for Yig and his Serpent Men.

I found the pictures elsewhere and... yes, same impact to me. The spinners figures could have been done better, furthermore I ask myself: why the hell focusing on serpentmen with tail if you want to do spinners and you need legs? I mean, this is a great project bug, IMHO, they could have done, I can say, goblins, orcs, bearmen or whatever who already had legs!

I will surely buy on BL the serpent figures which come out with the sets since they seem nice to me, and perhaps some of the smaller sets but I really am not interested in vehicles!!! The main failure from this series is to mix technology and ninjas... if they kept a more historic approach I surely would have bought more.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that the Ninjago boosterpacks have very similar packaging to the Collectible minifigures? I also noticed that the recommended ages on the booster packs are 6-16, which I found strange because Ninjago seems a very kid-oriented theme. Maybe this will change once these are out.

I believe that they have always been 6-16

Thoughts...

The sets aren't appealing to me, but the bright colours and over the top nature of the theme will undoubtably do well with their target market. I'm not really liking the blocky pieces for the new snake people, would have prefered something a bit more subtle.

Having said all that, the booster packs look intriguing and a possibly great way of picking up some interesting parts and weapons (do the come with a figure? I'm guessing not, maybe just an extra battle card?)

Some great new moulds and parts (snake staff, 1x1 flat round tile and others) but on the whole one theme I won't be tempted by!! (I say that now...)

I've seen the red cobra and Kai ZX only....these are the only ones I can open.

Anyway,every cobra is THAT ugly? Or is it just that one?

Funny thing about the brick-brick: people really seem to like it, but it's so...dare I say it... Mega Bloky?

Keep in mind that this is just the first wave for next year... Ninjago has proven successful enough that I can't imagine they don't have another wave planned for later in the year. With that in mind, there might be many more sets with the serpent tail piece, kind of like how this year's sets only had a couple skeleton generals (Nuckal and Samukai) in the first wave but later introduced Kruncha and Wyplash.

Okay, moderatory stuff:

No deeplinked pictures. Follow the links if you want to, if you can't it looks like you are too late to catch them.

Other Stuff:

Four Main protagonists is a common trope since story telling began, really, someone who uses Anachronism Stew must have come across that one :wink: . Maybe in the cartoon we'll see more of the inherent tropes that define these characters. It might even count as a Five Man Band if Nya is more involved.

I love how this theme is developing. It is just like Power Rangers, first there is the basic outfit, then they get a slightly better version and finally a super armour mode. (Sells more action figures that way) I watched the more SF series of Power Rangers (Time Force, SPD and RPM) it was the most sci fi thing I could watch at home. :tongue: I know I will be buying the sets and a handful of spinners.

Yeah, yeah. I try not to link to TV Tropes too often so I don't stand out as too much of a nerd... and also, of course, because TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life. :tongue:

Although, if you're going to go to that trouble, I might as well link to the Ninjago page on TV tropes and invite any tropers here to contribute... I've worked a lot on the page, but there's definitely much more to be added!

I've seen the red cobra and Kai ZX only....these are the only ones I can open.

Anyway,every cobra is THAT ugly? Or is it just that one?

Nope. The red Cobra (I'm assuming you're talking about Fang Suei, the one on the same page as Kai ZX) seems to be mostly unique in that he uses a specialized head mold. Most of the Snakemen have regular minifigure heads and a cobralike "hood".

Not sure what Fang Suei's story role is. I figure he must be high-ranking because of all the fangs around his neck (compare with the similar torso of Snappa, who only has two). But then again, he's such an odd-looking character that he could just be the "comic relief general" like Nuckal was-- a formidable threat, but not particularly fearsome. The two-headed snakes on the ninjas' packaging makes me wonder if there will be a two-headed snake character... if so, it would be the first two-headed minifigure! But I guess I'm jumping to way more conclusions than I should be this early.

Yeah, I think there will be a second wave in 2012. This as the snake people have no big 'home' place in this wave.

In wave 1 2011 Garmaddons Fort

In wave 2 2011 Fire Temple

(perhaps the dojo could be counted as well)

wave 1 2012 : the boat.

So one could expect a snake temple at one point.