BasOne

LDD 5, what features do YOU want?

Even though off-topic I can't help but to ask - anyone know why it is not?

From what I understand Michael Lachmann the Dev had been approached on multiple occasions with a few options but so far hasn't been willing to open it up. Not sure if enough motivation was offered but it sure would be nice if it was currently being developed. 3.30 showed up out of the blue right when we thought it was dormant forever so maybe there's a 3.40 or a 4.0 around the corner...

Edited by jasonsmith

I'm pretty sure that this has already been said, but I want it to handle large models like 15,000 and above.

I think it is possible, if you have an enough powerful computer.

In the meanwhile, you can disable all advanced graphic features.

PS: Your graphic drivers are up to date?

Just minor wish, which probaly does not bother the AFOLs.

Recently I have installed the old RIS2.0, because my son use it during ROBOLAB lessons and noticed, that at that time TLG put all language dependend strings into separate simple editable text file, so the whole software can be easily translated.

I would like TLG to return to this approach in case of LDD5 and any other software. I do not expect, that TLG will translate it to all languages, but we can and younger kids can focus on the play and not on the English or German language. I don't think that creating new separate custom language file is violation of EULA. In case of LDD the language file is now packed in the assets.lif and repacking assets.lif would be a violation of EULA.

Just minor wish, which probaly does not bother the AFOLs.

Recently I have installed the old RIS2.0, because my son use it during ROBOLAB lessons and noticed, that at that time TLG put all language dependend strings into separate simple editable text file, so the whole software can be easily translated.

I would like TLG to return to this approach in case of LDD5 and any other software. I do not expect, that TLG will translate it to all languages, but we can and younger kids can focus on the play and not on the English or German language. I don't think that creating new separate custom language file is violation of EULA. In case of LDD the language file is now packed in the assets.lif and repacking assets.lif would be a violation of EULA.

Would that really be necessary in the case of LDD? LDD isn't exactly text-heavy.

Would that really be necessary in the case of LDD? LDD isn't exactly text-heavy.

Luckily the LDD was designed with focus on kids, it is really not text-heavy, that why I treat this as a minor request. I just noticed that in the past the translation of LEGO software was simple, now it is more complicated. Since we do not know what will be added in future relases and if it can be kept as mostly icon based application, I would like to have the possiblity to have it translated without any significant effort from the TLG. The same applies to all the Mindstorms software.

So I'm a long time user of LDD but never been part of the community. I came looking for somewhere to post my request that it might be noted by Lego in the vain hope it will be implemented.

Since the new update the flood of bricks makes it very difficult for me to build things I can then buy. I get that as part of the step away from Design By Me. But I would like to hit a filter that limits the palette to the bricks available in Pick-a-Brick and, ideally, even fills the cart with the stuff for my LDD construction.

I don't care about the box or the printed instructions, just let me knock something up and then order it.

So I'm a long time user of LDD but never been part of the community. I came looking for somewhere to post my request that it might be noted by Lego in the vain hope it will be implemented.

Since the new update the flood of bricks makes it very difficult for me to build things I can then buy. I get that as part of the step away from Design By Me. But I would like to hit a filter that limits the palette to the bricks available in Pick-a-Brick and, ideally, even fills the cart with the stuff for my LDD construction.

I don't care about the box or the printed instructions, just let me knock something up and then order it.

You cannot buy parts from Design by me anymore.

You cannot buy parts from Design by me anymore.

His point is that he would have preferred if he could still see which parts were buyable via Pick-A-Brick, which is still running and currently offers the same parts as Design byME did. As it is, the only way to effectively "buy" the parts for an LDD model anymore, other than counting the parts individually, is to use LDD Manager and put together a Bricklink wanted list, which adds a level of complexity since you might not be able to get all your model's parts from the same source.

I agree a tool to check what bricks are buyable via the online Pick-A-Brick would be cool. I wonder if perhaps the reason there is no such feature is so that the LDD team is freed from having to adhere to the custom ordering department's update schedule. But it would still be an excellent feature for a future version. In the very least a "Pick-A-Brick" sub-category could be added to LDD mode, just like the Hero Factory sub-category that is currently still listed under "Filter Bricks By Box".

His point is that he would have preferred if he could still see which parts were buyable via Pick-A-Brick, which is still running and currently offers the same parts as Design byME did. As it is, the only way to effectively "buy" the parts for an LDD model anymore, other than counting the parts individually, is to use LDD Manager and put together a Bricklink wanted list, which adds a level of complexity since you might not be able to get all your model's parts from the same source.

I agree a tool to check what bricks are buyable via the online Pick-A-Brick would be cool. I wonder if perhaps the reason there is no such feature is so that the LDD team is freed from having to adhere to the custom ordering department's update schedule. But it would still be an excellent feature for a future version. In the very least a "Pick-A-Brick" sub-category could be added to LDD mode, just like the Hero Factory sub-category that is currently still listed under "Filter Bricks By Box".

That's exactly what I meant, and it strikes me that every idea in the improvements thread could have the observation that LDD doesn't do that stuck underneath.

Edited by HundredHander

Wishes for future versions:

1.If the LDD Developers would install an interface for creating parts (with necessary examination), the community would sure like to help to perfect the software.

Or is this too complicated?

2. In LDD please make a setting for proxy connection with authentication.

I would actually like to see a camera option in "View" mode where you could walk through/around your creation from the perspective of a minifig. A simple flying camera would do the trick nicely, and would make taking nice screenshots a LOT easier. :wink:

I also want to see more backgrounds, or at least the ability to insert custom backgrounds directly into LDD. :thumbup:

Little update to my list at (under groups category).

I think your new entry on brick palette is a restatement of the second bullet that's already there.

It's shame you've not included the request to limit the brick palette to what is available in Pick-a-Brick.

It's shame you've not included the request to limit the brick palette to what is available in Pick-a-Brick.

The list is my personal list. If you want that feature, you can propose it by yourself! :classic:

I think your new entry on brick palette is a restatement of the second bullet that's already there.

Oops, that's true! Thanks for notice.

Error fixed and list updated with two new requests (including your request above).

1.If the LDD Developers would install an interface for creating parts (with necessary examination), the community would sure like to help to perfect the software.

Or is this too complicated?

I think TLG's fear is/was that kids would add parts that don't exist at all or do other things with the program that can't be done with LEGO in real life.

I think they need to subdivide some of the categories, the "minifigure" category especially. It's just a beast. It should be broken out into "body parts" (heads, torsos, legs), "head coverings" (perhaps even further broken out into "hair", "hats" and "other"), "hand-held accessories" (weapons, tools) and "neck accessories" (backpacks, chest armor, capes, etc). There are also a couple of "catch-all" categories where it seems they just dump things that don't fit into other categories - the ones denoted by the "steering wheel" and "control stick/small antenna" most notably. These could also be broken up into smaller sub-sets. For example, one category could house all the LEGO animals (snake, rat, horse, ostrich, etc...)

I only have one, but it's rather pressing: having printed pieces in extened mode. With extended mode as it is, you can't have any printed designs on the bricks, such as with the minifigure heads and body. This greatly constrains creativity and realism.

@GeluNumber1

You can, using the decoration tool (a subtool of the bucket tool).

Unfortunately there are some decoration unavailable in this way, due to problem with the new version of LDD.

To have that decoration, you can switch to the standard mode, take the brick with the decoration and then come back to the Extended Mode.

There are hidden decorations anyway, such as horse printings. To have all available decorations you can import the "all decorations" file created by Aanchir, and available in the LDD Reference Topic.

@GeluNumber1

You can, using the decoration tool (a subtool of the bucket tool).

Unfortunately there are some decoration unavailable in this way, due to problem with the new version of LDD.

To have that decoration, you can switch to the standard mode, take the brick with the decoration and then come back to the Extended Mode.

There are hidden decorations anyway, such as horse printings. To have all available decorations you can import the "all decorations" file created by Aanchir, and available in the LDD Reference Topic.

It's not a problem with the new version of LDD, it's a problem with many, many versions of LDD, ranging at least as far back as LDD 4.0 and possibly earlier. The thing is, the individual palettes you access for the decoration tool are all programmed independently. The decorations themselves aren't specifically assigned to bricks anywhere in the program except in the default mode's palette (including the Design byME palette, when it was around, and the new LDD palette) and the Decoration Tool palettes. And every update for a long time has added certain decorations to the first of these without bothering to update the second.

The decoration tool in general will need a better interface, of course, because if all the minifigure face decorations available on LDD were added I know that my computer wouldn't be able to display all of them. My younger brother's netbook is already unable to display all of this palette's options or even all of the LDD Extended color palette's options.