Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

MOC: Flooded Castle in Ruins

My best friend and co-worker asked me to help him build a castle after The LEGO Group asked him to bring something for ComicCon. Here is the result:

(I built the Castle in the earth tones and the gray wall with burnt gatehouse coming out of the water. My friend built the gray castle with the tall turret and the awesome roof technique. A lot of my wall in the water is based on his tiling techniques and I copy his roof technique in a couple of places too. He built the rocks that they sit on and I put down most of the water. We both had our little jobs cut out for us. :laugh:

castle_004.jpg

castle_007.jpg

castle_017.jpg

castle_021.jpg

castle_023.jpg

castle_024.jpg

castle_025.jpg

castle_026.jpg

castle_027.jpg

To see lots of pictures of it, check out my Flickr gallery.

This is amazing! :drool:

How long did it take to build?

One reason I can barely stay awake right now is because it only took us two months. *huh* And yes that was while I was gone for two weeks of Brickworld as well... I'm so sleepy... :wacko: I've been slap happy all night since we got to the Con. Everything is funny, especially something that is completely not funny nor depressing. Every sentence spoke to me tonight was hilarious. I cried laughter all night. I'm tired. :wacko: :wacko:

Amazing job, Hinck! Not only is your castle well built, it's also highly original and the architecture is intriguing. The color scheme is brilliant as well, there's just something about that "nougat" color that fascinates me. Even though your friend's castle is larger and more imposing, in my opinion your ruined castle is more interesting to observe. The size doesn't matter, you know... :wink:

It would be nice to see close-ups without the reflection from the glass cabinet, some day. :thumbup:

Amazing! There's so much to love about the whole display. The larger castle is certainly impressive with so much detailing and the round tower is perfect. The smaller castle is just as lovable with its unusual but effective color scheme. And the fact that it's ruined gives the display depth along with a sense of history. And let's not forget the mountainous terrain. From the farther shots it looks so smooth and detailed that I didn't think it was Lego until the close-ups. I thought it was sculptured clay. :thumbup: :thumbup:

AWESOME castle 'Hinckley' - such detail and interesting choice in coloured brick work showing different phases of construction over time. :classic:

Brick On ! :grin:

Wow, that roof technique is amazing. Hopefully the Flickr wil have some details of construction.

But what is really impressive is the round tower. There have been many round towers posted but this one is fantastic. :thumbup:

Wow, that roof technique is amazing. Hopefully the Flickr wil have some details of construction.

But what is really impressive is the round tower. There have been many round towers posted but this one is fantastic. :thumbup:

I have a ton of in progress shots. I'd be more than happy to post them, but would like to post clear shots of the finished model itself first. Hopefully I can get some good shots after removing the plexi and before we have to tear down.

That roof technique is Steve's. He's kept it under wraps for a very long time and is finally getting a chance to display it. It is fantastic, isn't it? :wub:

My goodness, I'm going to be dragging my jaw on the ground all day because of this! One of the more visually pleasing castles I've seen in a long long time. I think one of my favorite things to look at this MOC is your castle with the huge rock cracked away from the cliff. Just so cool how it's done!

Great details in both structures. Two months well spent, I think! :classic:

MegaBloks! That dark grey castle is lovely. :wub: The techniques are stellar. So much detail to love.

Oh, and yours is sorta nice, too, HInck. :tongue:

In all seriousness, the ruined look is great. The dark tan tiles accent the dark grey perfectly.

Great work, both of you! :sweet:

Both castles are so perfect! But my favourite is the one that cracked up. Haven´t seen a cracked up castle before. Sure castles that has been demolished by an attacking force but never before has "mother nature" been the opponent!

Just perfect!!

de Gothia

Hinckle, that is amazing :drool: It's such an original colour, too :wub: . I love to see semi-ruinous castles as I think they evoke more emotion for me than a pristine fortress - they give a depth to the history, and a touch of sadness... the same is true when I visit real castles.

Seeing yours in the earth tones and with the collapsed wall reminds me of the ruin of Kenilworth castle in England - a huge medieval sandstone palace/fortress which was sadly destroyed during the English Civil War. It remains a beautiful place. :sadnew:

Anyhoo, you've both put together a gorgeous scene crammed with awesome details. MOre than the roof, I really admire Steve's round tower and would love to know the technique behind that.

:drool:

Holy guacamole it is an excellent castle.

This is one of the best castle MOCs I have ever seen. The brick techniques are just so fascinating. My favorite parts are the round tower and the layered rocks (didn't think that was Lego at first), but overall this is an amazing creation. I'm really looking forward to those in-build shots, to see how the round tower is done.

Fantastic work, guys.

*oh2*

That is just too cool. Wish I could see it in person. I imagine you two are quite proud at what you have done.

Thanks for shareing it with those of us who can not get down to ComicCon. :laugh:

One reason I can barely stay awake right now is because it only took us two months. *huh* And yes that was while I was gone for two weeks of Brickworld as well... I'm so sleepy... :wacko: I've been slap happy all night since we got to the Con. Everything is funny, especially something that is completely not funny nor depressing. Every sentence spoke to me tonight was hilarious. I cried laughter all night. I'm tired. :wacko: :wacko:

That is impressive it only took two months. That is an incredible castle, the design is amazing. Time for you to get some rest, you deserve it!

Hinckle, that is amazing :drool: It's such an original colour, too :wub: . I love to see semi-ruinous castles as I think they evoke more emotion for me than a pristine fortress - they give a depth to the history, and a touch of sadness... the same is true when I visit real castles.

Seeing yours in the earth tones and with the collapsed wall reminds me of the ruin of Kenilworth castle in England - a huge medieval sandstone palace/fortress which was sadly destroyed during the English Civil War. It remains a beautiful place. :sadnew:

Anyhoo, you've both put together a gorgeous scene crammed with awesome details. MOre than the roof, I really admire Steve's round tower and would love to know the technique behind that.

Such an amazing massive build Hinck and Stephen! I would also be interested in the round tower technique. The roofing is beautiful, really shows off the shingles! The earthy tones are awesome. We are all of course jealous of the sheer quantity of parts you have access to to build something this marvellous. Well done on all the sleepless nights :thumbup:

Here's a "behind-the-scenes" look at how the round turret was achieved.

post-486-13113091696.jpg

That's Steve's imagination at work. He's pretty talented.

Now that I see it and think about it, that's a solution based on simple combination of two techniques that are already very common. (headlight brick-based SNOT and stressed bricks) Maybe that's why it works so well.

I have a ton of in progress shots. I'd be more than happy to post them, but would like to post clear shots of the finished model itself first. Hopefully I can get some good shots after removing the plexi and before we have to tear down.

That roof technique is Steve's. He's kept it under wraps for a very long time and is finally getting a chance to display it. It is fantastic, isn't it? :wub:

Will be looking forward to some shots sans plexi. And yes the roof technique is amazing. Using the two(?) different shapes of flag in different colours AND being able to change the angle of each one makes a wonderfully random effect.

I think I will certainly be using that on some pirate buildings (sheds, huts, etc) for Port Brick @ BrickCon in October.

I really like the roof technique and of course the round tower. But I mostly like how the transition from the regular wall to the round tower is smooth. That really caught my eye. But overall, both castles look great! Much better than anything I could do.

castle_042.jpg

I added some more pics, without the glass, to my Flickr photostream. There are better shots of Steve's castle. I would've taken more of mine, but Steve knocked it down...twice...while we were unloading. :cry_sad:

Wanted to give a thumbs up to the rock work also. Obviously your eyes are drawn to the rounded walls and tile work of the castle, but the rock base and it's detail is stunning. Overall, just a beautiful build!!!