Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

The Taking of the Peacock.

thindexedgif.gif 10c

I am not going to divide this post, because i have little to say about this MOC.

The Peacock was just something i whipped together real quick while i was supposed to be reading articles for my thesis lol. I have a bunch of red bricks from my last visit to walt disney world lego store, so i ended up making a ship with them, however i didn't have hulls out at the time, so i decided to see if i could make a hull out of slopes... it failed pretty bad. Though I know there were flat bed ships like this little merchant ship that were almost square... I decided that the thing had to die... but instead of just disassembling it, i decided that i could find a better way, Letting the notorious Redbeard have his way with it.... so here is a little tribute to the patriach of lego piracy:

First of all, here is the gallery. I am not going to go through ever picture listed here, just the action shots.

The Taking of the Peacock

James Silverthorn had been a merchant for seven years. He had taken many journeys through the Legowind Straits, and almost had grown accustomed to paying small "protection" fees to upstart pirate gangs in the region. It was on his eighteenth voyage into the straits that he had just paid one of these fees when something happened to change his mind about the merchant life forever.

His ship the Peacock had just left Port Danielle two days prior to paying the fee to the Wo Ton Pirate Clan. He had been pulled over by a small skiff with a pirate representative aboard. The representative boarded his ship, inspected the cargo, and asked for a small protection sum in his best broken english. Silverthorn was used to this procedure, he had paid tribute to the Wo Ton Clan before, and like any small time pirate group in the straits, they were supposedly affiliated with Redbeard himself. Silverthorn paid the sum, and was given a "mark" on a scrap of paper, the last words of the pirate was "You show that if boarded"

Thinking nothing of it, silverthorn pocketed the paper and set sail for the spanish city of El Legosia, where he was to unload his cargo of textiles. Not two hours later a large vessle appeared on the horizon, within minutes members of Silverthorn's crew had identified the profile as that of the Bloody Mary. They became terrified because this ship belonged to none other then Redbeard himself. Silverthorn kept his cool and when the customary cannonshot was shot over the Peacock's deck, he had the sails taken down and let the Peacock come to a stop for boarding. Image

Image 2 the gang plank is lowered and the Peacock prepares to be boarded

Image 3 Two pirates (in blue, and in white) come aboard to inspect the vessle, they tell all the crew to keep their arms where they can see them.

Image 4 sharpshooters prepare in the masts.

Image 5

James hands the papers over and the pirate in white throw them over board. The pirate called over to Redbeard and said "Wo Ton is handing passage rights again!" Redbeard and the other pirates on the Bloody Mary laugh hystericly at this. James does not find this funny, he had never had a problem like this before. Redbeard calls back, "Take the loot, burn the ship, press the crew. I want to get on to that fort and look at what we may be up against." no one is sure what happened next, their was an eerie silence, and some say that one of the crew on the deck mouthed off to the pirate in blue.

Image 6 whatever happened, the crewmember ended up dead and floating in the water.

Image 7 the other crew began to fight back, fearing for their lives the guns are turned on the Bloody Mary.

Image 8 silverthorn mans the other cannon and prepares to fire, his first mate Elton knocks the white pirate out with a plank. On the main deck the crew has recaptured the initive... all looks good except for one thing. Bloody Mary is ready to broadside!

Image 9 seeing a potential broadside comeingon, silverthorn takes the helm and trys to stear the ship out, however it is too late. the first broadside completely knocks out the mast and part of the bow, killing the majority of the ships crew.

image 10 The second broadside leaves just Silverthorn standing, the Peacock has lost all of its ability to fight back and was heavily damaged.

Image 11 the third broadside completely anhilates the small vessel. Silverthorn jumps off before it's pieces sinks. He finds a cargo crate and hides in it until the pirates pull away. Along the way he happens to come across elton, who miraculasly is still alive. Image 12 image 13

On that day a new man was born from James Silverthorn. He became known as The Wolfhound. Pirate hunter extrodinare. Image 14 Elton sighned on and began to wear Silverthorn's family crest the silver wolf. Beware Redbeard, you have a new enemy... one that is not restrained by the laws of the sea, jurisdictions, or alliances. A man that has vowed to stop at nothing to take you down for the loss of his ship and crew.

How is the hull constructed?

just bricks.... slopes for the bow, but a box like stern. Like i had sait, there were some "square" looking vessels, i dont think any were ment for the high seas, when i finished the model it reminded me of a river boat... proably why it could not out run the SES! haha

also, at first i was determined not to use any ship pieces at all, but masts made out of only bricks fell apart too much.

The ship isn't very good in my opinion like a pirate ship...but it may be a good little merchant ship.

About the wolf pirate...is really cool

also, at first i was determined not to use any ship pieces at all, but masts made out of only bricks fell apart too much.

Was there any particular reason you was determined not to use any ship pieces? Like you were setting a challenge for yourself, or didn't you have sufficient ship pieces to build an entire ship?

Was there any particular reason you was determined not to use any ship pieces? Like you were setting a challenge for yourself, or didn't you have sufficient ship pieces to build an entire ship?

challenge for myself... i have hulls, and i could just use the 4+ masts (the real masts i ordered 3 weeks ago on bl still havent come!)

My next ship is goingto use those pieces from the destroyed peacock to make a pretty red ship... i know how much some people here hate red tho! lol i dont know if it will be the "wolfhound's" ship... but we will find out when i build it! I do want to make a merchant ship, so it might just be that instead.

The castle guys are the pirate hunter in this story... though i didnt change the one's hat, because i was looking for another tricorner , i always liked that weird castle hat though, just don't have much use for it. I like wolf pack bodies, and i thought it would be cool if the pirate used his family crest, the wolf as his emblem. So that is why i used castle guys.

Skaforhire I see you have put much time into this Moc and thread but I must tell you I find reading so much very difficult and I get past the first paragraph and become very exhausted. Is it of possibility you could perhaps achieve a way of breaking up your stories so that the reading is spread out which would make it easier for I and others who find challenge in much writing.

The below post is a copy & paste from one of Mr Tiber's thread, I notice the images here are very large so I thought this was worth a mention:

One thing I'm wondering though, this is not meant to be a complaint but I would like to know...

I notice some of you guys have really big pictures. I have a 20.1"/51cm widescreen monitor or 1680 x 1050 pixsels (which is by no means tiny) and these images are too big for, so what I'm wondering is why you have such big images?

The disadvantages:

1. They are too big to be posted in the thread which is a bit incovenient when someone wants to reference a particular picture.
  2. They don't fit within the resolution of the screen. Like I said I'm on 1680 x 1050 but there maybe some people out there with 800 x 600.
  3. They take longer to download. Ok, so maybe some of us have really fast Internet connections and they just appear. I've only got 512K and that's a bit slow but someone on dialup is going to be waiting 20 images per image.

If you don't have a program to resize them (which seems strange because Windows has MS Paint and there are free programs that can be downloaded) can't the camera settings be changed to take smaller images?

Once again that question isn't meant to be a complaint, I'm just wondering the need for such large images. 800 x 600 is usually sufficient unless the MOC is a gigantic scene or something like that.

Skarforhire are you a writer or some kind of journalist for you seem to have a great ability in writing long stories. Maybe you could write a story for Korns vignettes since he does not have a level of fantasy to enable him to do so.

I think Khorne's vignettes speak for themselves and don't require someone writing background stories, unless of course Khorne himself has something he wants to add.

I suspect SkaForHire hasn't checked this thread in quite some time and isn't aware of our discussion.

It is of pitty that Ska has not posted because he is good at writing and he could explain more to us about his Moc. But maybe he write to much for me because I am not good with the long English paragraphs.

100_1503.jpg_thumb.jpg

Why is there "Wolf people" in this Brickshelf folder?

This is curious indeed. Mr. Roger apparently uses wolf people as a type of mercenary that evolved from medieval times. I wonder if Lord Ravensburg would allow Castle and Pirates to intersect in his roleplaying game.