Hi all

I've read in a few places that there is a 'V2' Power Functions IR Receiver, which can take twice(?) the load?

Has anyone started using a V2 to run multiple motors? My truck uses two IR receivers, each running two XL motors (and one running an additional M steering motor).

It works pretty well, but occasionally I'm guessing the beam will only hit one receiver for a second (it's an inevitability), which will put pressure on two of the motors to turn the other two as they are all connected into one drive shaft.

Is the V2 a worthwhile upgrade? Can it handle four XL motors and a M motor? Does it allow more power to the motors or less?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help : )

Ape

The V2 IR receiver should be able to handle four XL motors since it shuts down at twice the current as the old receiver.

Edited by Tadej

According to Philo's home page, each channel of V2 receiver can provide 1.5A continuous, totalling 3A (3.3A according to datasheet).

XL motor stalled "eats" 1.8A. Typical normal it is only 0.5A.

So it can safely power only 2XL motors, but gives a possibility to reach maximum torque out of XL motor (more than double compared to V1).

Each battery box can handle also only 2 XL motors.

Battery box protection is rated 0.750mA. When you try to get 3A out of it, protection is activated almost immediately.

Edited by hrontos

Thanks guys, looks like it'd be worth the swap. Not being a particularly electrical kind of person I do find it strange how a simple change to the receiver can result in twice the power to the motors though!