Thanks to those on this site who helped answer my queries about Power Functions : ) I've now finished the FIAT 682/RN2 Bartoletti.

It's currently running one battery box powering 2 XLs and 1 Medium through 1 IR Receiver, but when it gets some race cars the whole setup will be doubled (except the steering the motor).

A couple of pics are below - more on MOCpages at this address: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/278673

Comments welcomed : )

13098889722_DISPLAY.jpg

13098918162_DISPLAY.jpg

Very good.

Massive and beautiful, and also very much like the original.

I like the fact it is motorized.

Thanks default_classic.gif No - it doesn't have suspension (too heavy).

It has:

• Opening cabin doors
  • Opening cargo doors
  • Opening tailgate
  • PF drive (thru a Differential)
  • PF Steering (with a Clutch)
  • Detailed 6 seat interior
  • Lowering top deck

Very nice MOC! Are you planning on making a video of the "lowering top deck"?

5905644494_36a83446e3_z.jpg100809-03-1959_Fiat_682-RN2_open_deck_Ferrari_race_car_transporter_by_Carrozzeria_Bartoletti_circa_1960-650x388.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Very nice MOC! Are you planning on making a video of the "lowering top deck"?

Thanks DLuders default_satisfied.gif

I might get round to making a video. That's a great picture of the original in use ^ - it's one of many pics I used as a reference. The truck looks pretty battered in that pic - not like today's super-clean and shiny transporters.

Please make a video of this masterpiece!! Its amazing how you managed to make the truck look so accurate but still have power functions.

tim

Please make a video of this masterpiece!! Its amazing how you managed to make the truck look so accurate but still have power functions.

tim

Thanks all - I will get round to it at some point. The PF driving isn't great though - it's a VERY heavy model, but a few more PF XL motors will fix that : )

Well done on finishing your transporter,i too would like to see a video soon. :sweet:

One question why does the top deck right seem to be lower (squint)than the left?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

[bUMP] 2297606947_c574a6f9de.jpg

On MOCpages, Nick Barrett posted this Lego model of the "Ecurie Ecosse Race Transporter" pictured above. He was inspired by Ape Flight's Ferrari transporter. Barrett wrote,

"This big hunk of blueness was based on a 1959 Commer chassis and there is only one in the world - designed to take the Ecurie Ecosse team Jaguars (there were other makes in the team but this is usually seen with C- and D-types)....Yes, I did do the lettering on both sides, a mind-bending mixture of SNOT [studs Not on Top] and, er, SOT [studs On Top].

1320255467m_SPLASH.jpg

"This model is 24 studs wide, 96 long and weighs 100 tons... it features working steering (by HOG or in-cab), electrically operated ramps and a special engine - more of which later. For now, check out all the angles on the front, the trickiest part of the build.

1320255484m_SPLASH.jpg

"Lots of openings... the middle one houses the battery box for the ramp's motor:

1320255492m_SPLASH.jpg

"Now, that engine. This is a three cylinder, six piston two stroke diesel boxer engine. Let me explain. The crank sits under the block and actuates all six pistons via rockers and secondary conrods - the pistons are timed to work symmetrically. i.e. 'punch' toward each other in the exhaust phase and retreat together during the combustion phase....

1320255502m_SPLASH.jpg

"...like this. This idea produced a lot of power and torque for the engine's size - it displaced only 3.5 litres, but produced comparable figures to contemporary ordinary engines of twice the size with far fewer moving parts (no valves, just holes in the block at strategic points). It's the Commer T3 engine which was widely admired at the time and very reliable, although, being a two stroke, I guess the exhaust emissions were, ahem, somewhat toxic....

1320255511m_SPLASH.jpg

"The engine lives behind the (easily removable) battery box under the interior floor:

1320255345m_SPLASH.jpg

"The tailgate drops as it should, complete with ladder attached to the inside. Details, details....

1320255353m_SPLASH.jpg

"The drive-on ramps were simple lengths of metal that clipped to the tailgate, as here, and slung in the back when not in use. Oddly, the Corgi toy of this had fold down ramps like a more modern transporter, but this is more accurate. They should be grey, by the way, but I'm not made of big grey plates, you know!

1320255361m_SPLASH.jpg

"The electrically powered main ramps in the down position... they will work with a car on them, as long as it's fairly light....

1320255369m_SPLASH.jpg

"There's lots of doors on the other side, too...."

1320255376m_SPLASH.jpg

On MOCpages, there are additional details too numerous to list here, including the folding sofa bed: sleeping.gif

1320255224m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Wow thats amazing :thumbup: ! Truly and exceptional MOC. Too bad there isn't a video :sad: . Does anyone know how the ramps go up and down?

tim

There's a few of us making these now - if you're interested head over to MOCpages and take a look at the link on either Nick's Ecurie Ecosse or my Scuderia Ferrari page.

tim

For whatever reason the html from Flickr won't work here, but there's a very short video now:

FIAT 682/RN2 Bartoletti driving
Edited by Ape Fight

For whatever reason the html from Flickr won't work here, but there's a very short video now:

FIAT 682/RN2 Bartoletti driving

Wow that truck is a beauty when it is moving. Would you mind posting photos of the drive trian?

tim

Tim if you look at the middle one you can see that the other 2 motors are just above it,you may also see that the gears do not mesh up.

th_motor1.jpg

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Are there 3 pf xl motors powering one drive shaft?!?

No, there are 4 PF XL motors used for propulsion.

No, there are 4 PF XL motors used for propulsion.

Hi All

There are 4, as some people have correctly spotted. They are in a 'T' formation, so one on the bottom, one directly above it with one on each side.

Yup, all this goes into one drive shaft. Took a while to iron the bugs out if it, as it has serious torque. Smashed a few cogs and twisted 2 axels in development. Now though, it's pretty reliable : )

Cheers

Ape

This Ferrari truck is excellent.

Looking at the real truck (thanks to Dluders) it is very, very well made! The shape and all the details, Cudos to Ape Fight

I realy like the interior.

I'm amazed how smooth it runs, not a big deal with 4 XL-motors :laugh: No wonder a 5L axle has bin turned in a screw.

I am realy looking forward to seeing a video of all the moving parts working. Great job!!!

The blue truck of Nick Barrett is also a great beast. The interior is just awesome! I'm realy interessed in the engine. I never have seen that type of engine before.

Hi All

There are 4, as some people have correctly spotted. They are in a 'T' formation, so one on the bottom, one directly above it with one on each side.

Yup, all this goes into one drive shaft. Took a while to iron the bugs out if it, as it has serious torque. Smashed a few cogs and twisted 2 axels in development. Now though, it's pretty reliable : )

Cheers

Ape

:oh3::oh3::oh3::oh3::oh3: . Well that explains the smooth driving. Those poor axles...

tim