Pingles

Eurobricks and McDonalds Wi-Fi

I can't connect to the Eurobricks forums using McDonalds WiFi. If I disconnect from their WiFi I can use 3G no problem but always time out on McDs. I am assuming it's McDs network backbone because I've tried it in three McDs.

It's odd because I can play the MMO Order and Chaos from McDs and don't have this issue with any other website.

Weird, eh?

Well, there you have it: yet another reason to avoid McDonalds, next to the already familiar ones like unhealthy food and noisy children... :wink:

Edited by simonwillems

Well, there you have it: yet another reason to avoid McDonalds, next to the already familiar ones like unhealthy food and noisy children... :wink:

Excatly right there simonwillems, because of the unhealthy food and noisy children, I barely ever go to McDonalds and now if you can't go on EB on their WiFi that is another reason not to go. :tongue:

~buddy~

My guess is they have certain sites blocked, (because restaurants don't like customers looking at certain sites around children) and EB somehow got mixed in. Or perhaps EB is hosted by a company that hosts many of those sites, and they just blocked that hosting company. I checked the McDonald's website, and found the contact section. They had an FAQ, but nothing about wifi issues. Here is the link to send them an email about it if you want to, they would probably at least be able to give a good answer. :classic:

I'm frequently surfing in cafes and found that my local Starbucks blocks the EB website. It's the only website that I know of that they block. Is there something special about EB that would cause it to be blocked?

I'm frequently surfing in cafes and found that my local Starbucks blocks the EB website. It's the only websI ite that I know of that they block. Is there something special about EB that would cause it to be blocked?

I think this would be a question to ask the store not here on EB.

I think this would be a question to ask the store not here on EB.

The chances of a Starbucks barrista knowing anything about their wi-fi access is about nil.

The chances of a Starbucks barrista knowing anything about their wi-fi access is about nil.

Of course not, but the manager would be able to help. :hmpf:

Hmm could be they are Mega Blocks fans :P

Maybe they feel it's'unsafe', are you sure all the naughty sites are banned as well, and all other forums? It might be cause it's a forum

I'm willing to bet the website category this website falls under is chat or forum. I'm guessing the particular starbucks you are at has those types of sites blocked.

Posting here won't yield you any results since I doubt the starbucks staff read Eurobricks.

Posting here won't yield you any results since I doubt the starbucks staff read Eurobricks.

Let's not overly negate the possibility. :look:

:grin:

I think we should all make picket signs out of LEGO and head to a Starbucks and give 'em hell! :grin::tongue:

I'm frequently surfing in cafes and found that my local Starbucks blocks the EB website. It's the only website that I know of that they block. Is there something special about EB that would cause it to be blocked?

:tongue: Are you sure it's them blocking us not us blocking them? Please PM me the IP if it's possible.

I agree with SimonWilliams. McDonalds is very unhealthy, which is why I haven't been there for many years. Starbucks is better, but why go there when you can go to a nice independant coffee shop. The independant ones have better hot drinks, better pastries, and other things like sandwiches. Of course, I shouldn't decide not to help you because of this, but only because I don't know how to.

It might be true that they don't like chat websites. Even though they say that EB is for adults, and that there is adult content here, I haven't found any so far. They should unblock it. They shouldn't block chat websites in general.

I agree with SimonWilliams. McDonalds is very unhealthy, which is why I haven't been there for many years. Starbucks is better, but why go there when you can go to a nice independant coffee shop. The independant ones have better hot drinks, better pastries, and other things like sandwiches. Of course, I shouldn't decide not to help you because of this, but only because I don't know how to.

It might be true that they don't like chat websites. Even though they say that EB is for adults, and that there is adult content here, I haven't found any so far. They should unblock it. They shouldn't block chat websites in general.

Please don't bump a 2 month old thread to go off topic. As much as I didn't like this topic before, since it is not EB who's doing the blocking, I definitely don't want this going off topic.

McDonalds like all other business' that offer free Wi-Fi are privately owned, as much as they advertise their Wi-Fi is free to the public, that's all it is, FREE, NOT PUBLIC. McDonalds is the one paying for that Wi-Fi service and they can block any website or category they want, for any reason, or even no reason at all. It's their right as the private owner.

Now as much as I wish that categories like chat or forums, were not blocked, the reality is they are, and the only recourse we have is to politely ask the store manager if it could be unblocked, if they say no, then it's probably best left alone.