Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

I understand why people are disappointed, I also expected a bit 'more'.

But then I thought this would probably the first ship affordable for me, after I re-discovered Lego.

I've only seen the Imperial Flag Ship and the Queen Anne Revenge. both astonishing but very expansive for a student.

If I got the change I will get one, :D

Bart

Those of you expecting a large D2C set like they did with Harry potter, might be disappointed. I'd love to see a large Dutchman set, but it probably wont happen. What your forgetting is that Harry Potter is a huge franchise and much much more popular and well known then Pirates of the Caribbean. To be honest, I think Lego were too late with this franchise. If they had gotten the liesence when the original trilogy of films came out, then this theme would have done very well as there was a lot of interest in pirates. Plus we would have gotten 3 waves, one from each film. But unfortunately it's different this time around. There wasn't the same amount of hype around the new film mainly because the majority of people just were not as interested. How many times are people gonna go and watch a guy with eyeliner acting drunk before it gets too old? Before I'm lynched by all the fanboys, can I just say that I do like the films, but I just can't see there being huge worldwide interest to keep making them. Which means Lego jumped on this bandwagon to late. I fear this could be the only wave we get, but I hope not as I've really enjoyed these sets.

This is disappointing, but then it is only a preliminary picture so there's nothing we can do but speculate and hope that the set is... vastly improved.

Two things that have come to my attention:

- Shouldn't the Pearl have two jib sails?

- The cabin is incredibly inaccurate.

The figure selection is nice though.

-A.S.

I wish they'd make a new torso for will, this is the correct one for this movie, but I want the more classic Will from the first, or the coolest looking with red shirt in At world end.

The ship looks quite nice, but obviously im hoping the final version will be better.

I think the sails are fine and should stay as they are. They are the best part of the ship along with the black hull. If you want holes in them get a hole puncher out and destroy your copy :pir-tongue:

It is based on the second movie not the first.

*snip*

804 pieces :pir-hmpf_bad:

200 less then the QAR, 800 less then the Imperial flagship.

To be honest, The Pearl should be the flagship of the POTC line, not just another ship.....

Edited by BasOne

804 pieces :pir-hmpf_bad:

200 less then the QAR, 800 less then the Imperial flagship.

To be honest, The Pearl should be the flagship of the POTC line, not just another ship.....

Well, to be honest it's far from the most impressive ship in the franchise. Despite being the one that appears in the most movies, it's very simple in design compared to the QAR, the Flying Dutchman, or even the ships used by the British navy. As I see it, it basically looks like a simplified and slightly-smaller QAR, which is probably how it should look. And I'm sure some of the simplicity will go away before we see the final version, even though some of the obvious flaws like the ugly gap between the figurehead and the front of the ship may or may not stick around.

There's certainly not much chance that it would have been designed at the exact same size as the QAR, however realistic that might have been. If that were the case, the sets would probably be priced far too similarly, and thus there would be two very similar sets competing with one another on store shelves. It could be either larger or smaller, and since QAR ties in with the most recent movie it's natural that it would end up with a larger design budget. It's regrettable, but at the same time all of the ships in the PotC franchise are pretty majestic in their own right, and they can't all be the same level of detail as the Imperial Flagship (certainly not in one year, given the release patterns for Pirates sets in the past).

Personally, I'm glad that TLG is treating every one they've released with at least some respect rather than giving us rinky-dink ships like this one at any point (to my regret, I believe this is the only full-scale pirate ship set anyone in my family owns). I'm still hoping that if we get any ships to the same level of detail as the Imperial Flagship, the one we get will be the Flying Dutchman. After all, unlike the Black Pearl or QAR, I don't see any way it could be designed at a lower price point with its intricate details, overwhelming appearance (not to mention artillery), and importance to two out of four movies in the franchise. I'm looking forward to seeing what D2C sets are released in January, and if it's one for the PotC theme then I'm sure it will be extremely impressive no matter what it depicts.

Well, to be honest it's far from the most impressive ship in the franchise. Despite being the one that appears in the most movies, it's very simple in design compared to the QAR, the Flying Dutchman, or even the ships used by the British navy. As I see it, it basically looks like a simplified and slightly-smaller QAR, which is probably how it should look. And I'm sure some of the simplicity will go away before we see the final version, even though some of the obvious flaws like the ugly gap between the figurehead and the front of the ship may or may not stick around.

There's certainly not much chance that it would have been designed at the exact same size as the QAR, however realistic that might have been. If that were the case, the sets would probably be priced far too similarly, and thus there would be two very similar sets competing with one another on store shelves. It could be either larger or smaller, and since QAR ties in with the most recent movie it's natural that it would end up with a larger design budget. It's regrettable, but at the same time all of the ships in the PotC franchise are pretty majestic in their own right, and they can't all be the same level of detail as the Imperial Flagship (certainly not in one year, given the release patterns for Pirates sets in the past).

Personally, I'm glad that TLG is treating every one they've released with at least some respect rather than giving us rinky-dink ships like this one at any point (to my regret, I believe this is the only full-scale pirate ship set anyone in my family owns). I'm still hoping that if we get any ships to the same level of detail as the Imperial Flagship, the one we get will be the Flying Dutchman. After all, unlike the Black Pearl or QAR, I don't see any way it could be designed at a lower price point with its intricate details, overwhelming appearance (not to mention artillery), and importance to two out of four movies in the franchise. I'm looking forward to seeing what D2C sets are released in January, and if it's one for the PotC theme then I'm sure it will be extremely impressive no matter what it depicts.

All true, i just expected a lot more from The Pearl as it's such an iconic ship of the series.

When you think Pirates of the Caribean, You think Jack Sparrow first, The Black Pearl second.

To be honest, i was/am not a real pirates collector, but the QAR and the Imperial Flagship just looked so darn good i just had to have them :P

So i might be a bit spoiled by 2 great sets :pir-classic:

Edited by BasOne

Don't be too hard for the black pearl:

a) it's a prelim picture

b) many people had véry high expectations

So far I have been dissapointed with the POTC lego: the minifigs are great but the buildings aren't special, I don't like the QAR either and the prices are too high, so until now I have been buying the minifigs online and building MOCs with those. (Right now I am in the middle of my examinations -still in college - but I will probably post some pics afterwards).

I’am not too fond of the pearl either, but when you take a closer look you’ll see they did quite a good job, giving the limit of $100. I think it will look better in real, the captain’s cabin has hinges, which will make it look smoother and more elegant. Also the backmast is built with small technic tubes and not the large molded mast piece. I can understand they only used one hullpiece in the back because the new molds are too round for a schip’s back, although I would have preferred they made a new mold similar to the old back side mold, but separable like the new front molds. I was planning to do something similar in an MOC, the new mold just doesn’t fit in the back of a ship.

1) I have some remarks though: Davy Jones is awesome, but where are Pintell and Ragetti? 2) They only made two windows in the side, probalbly to prevent that it would look too large compared to the rest of the ship. I made an alternative that allows you to place three windows next to each other without it looking too large, I’ll post a picture later.

With some modifications you could make a great ship out of it!

I'm quite getting annoyed by all the people mentioning how this picture is preliminary. I've seen all the preliminary POTC images and guess what all were 90% the same when they were released. Actually I did not notice any difference at all. That's why I'm so sceptic about this ship. Of course with moding and mocing every set can be made great. But why don't they then include the third window and all the canons just so that people would not feel pulled for buying the set and needing to pick all other exclusive bricks from online shops ... Also the rear hull piece could be included for people creating other ships with black hulls needing both parts ...

I'm quite getting annoyed by all the people mentioning how this picture is preliminary. I've seen all the preliminary POTC images and guess what all were 90% the same when they were released. Actually I did not notice any difference at all.

Finally someone pointed this out & I wholeheartedly agree. In all previous pre-lim pics, the only things that are changed would usually be colors and mini-figures (when they look really obvious that it's not the final product). The build of the set remains completely the same and this one should be no different, in fact, this pre-lim pic looks like it's 90% the final product, the only change it will probably have are the sails, and that is it.

I've never expected this set to be anything great since we found out about the pieces & price-point already (I don't expect a BSB type of build anymore). But I must say, the biggest disappointment is the cabin & I really don't understand why they designed it to be so low. I thought BB's cabin was already pretty low, oh well.

One thing I do think we should keep in mind is that I believe TLG DOES know that the Black Pearl's the most iconic ship in the series, that is exactly why they had to go with a smaller build so it can be more affordable to the consumers. I'm definitely getting this, but it sure needs a lot of modifying to make it look like the way that it should be.

Edited by SmF

Those of you expecting a large D2C set like they did with Harry potter, might be disappointed. I'd love to see a large Dutchman set, but it probably wont happen. What your forgetting is that Harry Potter is a huge franchise and much much more popular and well known then Pirates of the Caribbean. To be honest, I think Lego were too late with this franchise. If they had gotten the liesence when the original trilogy of films came out, then this theme would have done very well as there was a lot of interest in pirates. Plus we would have gotten 3 waves, one from each film. But unfortunately it's different this time around. There wasn't the same amount of hype around the new film mainly because the majority of people just were not as interested. How many times are people gonna go and watch a guy with eyeliner acting drunk before it gets too old? Before I'm lynched by all the fanboys, can I just say that I do like the films, but I just can't see there being huge worldwide interest to keep making them. Which means Lego jumped on this bandwagon to late. I fear this could be the only wave we get, but I hope not as I've really enjoyed these sets.

Well, given the fact at least two more Pirates film with mr.eyeliner ;) will be made LEGO has jumped in in the middle.

I mean, they where a little late for Star Wars IV-VI as well. ;)

I've never expected this set to be anything great since we found out about the pieces & price-point already (I don't expect a BSB type of build anymore). But I must say, the biggest disappointment is the cabin & I really don't understand why they designed it to be so low.

I think it's to match the silhouette of the ship, which looks like this:

black-pearl.jpg

Something like the shape of the BB just isn't going to look right. Unfortunately since the cabin takes up the entire rear section of the ship, it ends up being way too low.

I also wonder if the bottom of the ship isn't obscured a bit by the waves, making the cabin look lower than it really is.

I've looked back at the preliminary images of the other sets, and I think I have to agree - apart from the sails, this probably isn't going to change much. :pirate_sad2:

Oh well. The faster the POTC theme sinks, the sooner we get Classic Pirates back.

Link removed from the first page on request of LEGO?! Seems they are aware of this topic and our disliking. Hopefully this time they really change something before the final version. Anyways noone here's saying the piece is shit and constructive critic should always be welcome.

Link removed from the first page on request of LEGO?! Seems they are aware of this topic and our disliking. Hopefully this time they really change something before the final version. Anyways noone here's saying the piece is shit and constructive critic should always be welcome.

Well, Lego has a history of having leaked pictures removed but, I do wonder. This ship is getting a lot of criticism and most of it is quite justified. This ship just isn't a good representation of the flagship of the POTC franchise. I really do hope though that Lego is listening and will perhaps make some major modifications to this set before they release it. I wouldn't even mind if they delayed the release as long as they fix most of the major problems with this set like including more of the Black Pearl crew, making adjustments to the stern and bow, and fixing the weird looking mizzen mast in the rear. :pir-sceptic:

I think it's to match the silhouette of the ship, which looks like this:

black-pearl.jpg

This was used for filming 'on-deck' scenes in the film, hence the top of the masts is cut off. Not the actual scale of the ship.

This was used for filming 'on-deck' scenes in the film, hence the top of the masts is cut off. Not the actual scale of the ship.

For some reason it's hard to find a good side-on shot of the actual BP, but as far as I can tell the overall shape of the ship is the same.

I'm not surprised they took the link down. Of course, I saved the ship to my computer as soon as I saw it :pir-grin:. And no, I'm not sharing it with anyone who hasn't been around for the last couple of days.

I think they should at least put another stern piece under the cabin at least, stern would look much better then, when its not that low. Whit out the stern piece under the cabin, the whole thing just looks ridiculous.

Captain Becker

Exactly

I'll end up buying it anyway because it's still the only black pearl where getting. It will then sit on a shelf unnoticed because it's such a ghastly design

I'd have happily made more for a quality set

I will be doing the exact same thing.

Keep in mind, guys, that just because the prelim pic just recently made its first appearance online doesn't mean it's new, or that the final version of the set hasn't been designed yet. For all we know, TLG may already have made all the changes to this that they're going to make, and comments in this topic won't influence the set significantly.

With that said, I agree, we can't expect any major changes. At the same time, nobody here is saying that because it's a preliminary picture, any posts pointing out its flaws are invalid. Flaws are flaws, whether they make it to the final set or not. It's far too early to be making decisions of "I will/won't be getting this set", but that doesn't mean people can't be impressed or disappointed.

At the same time, there's no harm in being hopeful. Personally, I don't care about many of the flaws people are pointing out, like too few windows or cannons. These are minor flaws as far as I'm concerned, and the ship would be just as recognizable as the Black Pearl to me whether or not it was exact about such things. The main flaws I'm concerned about are the plainness of the sails and the ugly gap between the figurehead and the front of the ship-- neither of which would be too huge a change to at least hope for before the final set is revealed.

Link removed from the first page on request of LEGO?!...

Is the image still around? I would love to see it.

EDIT: Never mind, Google Cache is your friend!

Edited by Follows Closely

I actually think they should do it to the same price/piece count as the QAR. For $20 you could have epic battles that don't start out feeling slanted due to one ship being cheaper and smaller.

how does the ship looks like and where can i find it?

Imagine what you would like it to look like; now remove almost all of the neat details, drop the piece count and make it black.

Imagine what you would like it to look like; now remove almost all of the neat details, drop the piece count and make it black.

I think that sums up the topic pretty well. People had heightened expectations (some were really weird, too, like maybe it would include a kraken or something) of what they'd be getting, so what they actually get is a huge letdown, even if it's no worse than many of LEGO's ships in the past.

How about instead of imagining what you want it to look like, you imagine a LEGO Pirate ship. Now make it black and add a couple more sails and some new pieces.

I mean really, it's no Imperial Flagship, but it isn't horrible.