Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

That's...a let down. It's just...all black. Figs are good, but I think I'll stick with the QAR.

It's supposed to be all black :pirate_sad2: It's the Black Pearl. :pir_laugh2:

It rather disappointing. At least the QAR had some style to it, but this has nothing but a simple build**.

Obviously that can change once we get final pics.

It's supposed to be all black :pirate_sad2: It's the Black Pearl. :pir_laugh2:

Yea, the Black Pearl, not the Black Blob. :pir-sceptic:

Also I noticed besides it looked very similar to the black pearl was that it only had 2 cannons. I mean the Queen Anne's Revenge had 3 cannons for a 10 cannon ship and I thought that was stretching it. :imperialguard_commander1:

It has three of those... flap... thingies. There's probably a third cannon behind that-- hence, three cannons, not two.

Note that my poor understanding of nautical terminology is one of the the reasons I don't post often in this subforum. I'm sure there's a better term for those things besides "flaps", so forgive me for my stupidity on such matters. :pir-look:

I think if the ship had three cannons, they would all be in the preliminary pic. QAR had more than twice as many flaps as cannons, so it's safe to assume from this image that the BP will be the same.

Does anyone else besides me have nice things to say about the ship? :pirate_sad2: I mean, I agree with some of the negative things that have been said, especially the two cannons thing, but I want to balance those out because I really don't think the ship is that bad.

Also, this is prelim, so the sails might have printing on them in the final release, making it look less like a 'blob'.

It's too small for my tastes, but that could just be the angle. I'll probably just Bricklink Davy Jones, though some of his crew look pretty good too!

Yay! Finally a picture of the Black Pearl!

I'm slightly disappointed, but not enough to stop me from picking it up.

But when you compare it to the movies, its not that far off.

The Black Pearl in the movies is pretty meh as well.

As far as the figs go, I think they could have provided a better selection.

We will probably get duplicate or slightly altered figures on the Flying Dutchmen when Lego decides to produce it.

Interesting. I can't see too much on the image, but the minifigs seem good.

Although I wonder why Davy Jones is on the ship, his minifig looks great. It looks close to the game version.

As for the Black Pearl, perhaps it's because it's so black, but I find the design quite boring and the mizzen mast seems very unstable.

It may need another square sail there. But of course this is still preliminary. Thanks for sharing!

I must agree, Davy Jones looks good, but the ship is bland especially compared to the QAR.

Awesome! Looks much better than QAR, but we'll find out for sure when we get better pics.

Thanks! A bit small, not really impressed with the ship or figs, no new Elizabeth or Will, but Jack looks like he has a new torso?

Looks very dull to me, too much black. The movie version was mostly dark colored as well, but here I think they should have used at least one other color more prominently to break up all that blackness, especially with those black sails and masts.

I couldn't agree more, maybe dark brown or dark grey or something. Also no Kraken. A great chance to make one and TLG missed it. :pirate_sad2:

Edited by Macoco

Are these 2011 ones usually for Christmas time or do we think they/this will come out earlier? Thanks for the pic.

Interesting the smoke emanating from the lamps at the stern, they're like engines.

Edited by treeboy

Looks very dull to me, too much black. The movie version was mostly dark colored as well, but here I think they should have used at least one other color more prominently to break up all that blackness, especially with those black sails and masts.

Only two cannons? (There seems to be a hole for a third one, this is apparently the same issue as with the Queen Anne's Revenge.) Lame!

While I think the QAR is really good-looking, I have to say that I am pretty disappointed with this set as it is pictured here.

Having Davy Jones and the hammerhead-shark-guy included with the Black Pearl also might mean we don't get a Flying Dutchman :pir_bawling:

All in all, the Black Pearl MOC build by one of the forum members (sorry, can't remember his name) was far superior as far as I am concerned. Especially after he rebuild the ship's bow.

Edited by Cherno

Are these 2011 ones usually for Christmas time or do we think they/this will come out earlier? Thanks for the pic.

I believe the Black Pearl had been set at a November release date, though I may be mistaken.

Hmm, interesting.

Looks very similar to the Queen Anne's Revenge though, and might be smaller.

However, the minifigs and black colour scheme are very nice. Davy Jones seems to be wearing a recolour of Blackbeard's hat, so it looks like the tentacle pieces are separate.

Looks very similar to the Queen Anne's Revenge though, and might be smaller.

It is smaller. Lower price point and piece count.

Well, I've taken the time to look a little bit closer at the prelim. I'm still not as blown away as I had hoped to be before we knew what the ship could look like.

The cabin is too weak for me - the windows with white frames look odd to me. Plus the sail above the cabin is placed too high making it look too empty around that area.

It looks like the sails are pretty cool in black, and I hope they don't change them into sails full of holes.

I also love the sides of the ship and of course the minifigs.

Unfortunately, I think the front of the ship looks to bland. I've always loved the front and back of LEGO's ships, but this is too uninteresting.

It looks like the sides of the cabin can open up like the do on SES - nice little play feature.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the cabin from behind - if it looks good I might be more impressed than I am right now.

One thing that could be a positive thing for this set is its somewhat low piececount.

It could mean that it won't be too expensive

Thanks for the pic!

I'm in the minority, I really like it. I think Lego have done well in breaking up the black by incorporating those bits of grey. I think it has more old school Pirates charm than the QAR due to its simplicity. As others have said, being a prelim pic, the sails may change and I think the ship could possibly be improved by having some subtle variation in the colour of the sails.

The only downside I can see is the lack of an Elizabeth Swann fig, but if I really want one I can pick one up in the small set that's out now.

I wonder what will the figurehead end up looking like - just a plain black/dark brown torso, dress piece, head and hair or something more interesting?

It's probably unprinted otherwise it would have been shown on top of the box with the other figs.

I'm not impressed, the QAR looks a lot more like the real thing.

The BP should have 3 windows on the side at an angle, just to mention a thing.

The colours are fine for me, even in all black it would look cool.

The minifigs of course are great, I really like all the POTC figures that are out now.

Since this is a preliminary picture, I hope TLC will do its best to make it more appealing.

Damn - that's just awful. That looks like a clone-Lego brand

QAR was a 'cash in' set and really quite lazy - but this is worse. Bet is £100 too

I'm no MOC-genius but I could have made a better set...

First of all great to finally see an image of the Black Pearl.

I think it is difficult to judge the design based on this one image, firstly because it is a small image, and I need to see more angles and secondly because it is a preliminary image which means things can change.

If you google images for the Black Pearl it is clearly not a spectacular looking ship, so this is what Lego has to work with. The whole myth in the films about the ship is that it is a rather old looking ghostly pirate ship with completely black hull and black sails. (the ship was only thought to be used in that first movie, no one was expecting any sequels especially considering the epic fails of modern pirate movies before this movie)

Based on this it should be a very black looking Lego ship and this looks Ok until I see some more and final images from more angles that give me better knowledge to judge the model.

The minifigs selection looks really great, Davy Jones plus the hammerhead and what looks to be Bootstrap will be a great addition to the Lego POTC minifigs and a lot more exciting than getting the midget and Cotton for example.

Edited by Dane

I absolutely adore the figs, and 3 of them are for the Flying Durchman! The ship looks alright, I could add some more rigging anyways, and the cabin is a bit meh,but with a few changes like a second deck that will look kickass, £70-£80? perhaps?

:jollyroger:

I'm in the minority, I really like it. I think Lego have done well in breaking up the black by incorporating those bits of grey. I think it has more old school Pirates charm than the QAR due to its simplicity.

I think this is the main thing that separates the likers from the haters. The likers look at the ship in the terms of a classic Lego sailing ship, whereas the haters want the ship to be more like the BP from the films. I think Lego made the right call - if it becomes too big and complicated, it will be too expensive and difficult for children.

I haven't bought any POTC sets because they don't quite gel with my Classics stuff (I like my sets to be more than just 'scenes from movies'), but I'm seriously considering adding this to Brickbeard's fleet.

Comparing the BP with other ships, I think the cabin is too low, though... I think that and the two cannons/three ports are my only real complaints. Otherwise I like it.

Edited by David Thomsen