Splat

MOC: My Minifigure Display Stand

I was going to group them that way, but some figures just seemed to go so naturally with others that I decided to group them by type. Also, feeling as if we're going to see a lot more of these, I want to condense how much space they take up. I already have too many things in the closet because I have no room to display.

After seeing this and another thread I decided to try my hand at a display as well. That, and I realized I've started to accumulate quite a few of these little guys. I too went with one of those 3-tiered display cases from the Container Store that others have used, but I built my own stand to go inside to maximize the space.

minifigdisplayempty.jpg

It can hold a total of 33 figures. The figures per row are 7-6-7-6-7. Based on the OP's stand I staggered them for better visibility. My original design had each row as one brick higher than the last, but I found things got a little too cramped. So now with two bricks height for each row there is little problem with figures obscuring each other. As high as it is it juuuust barely fits. Also, with five rows any figures in the back have to fit into the 4x3 space of their black plate exactly. There is zero room to lean back, so any figure with a big head/helmet or accessories on their back (like the S6 Robot) cannot fit back there--spears graze the roof a bit too if not tilted forward. Here is the finished product with Series 6 and 7 plus one more:

minifigdisplayfull.jpg

The odd number in the display doesn't bother me, as I'll probably rearrange them by themes anyway - space, fantasy/historic, civilians, etc. And there will be more than just the CMF series on display. I would like to find a large case like this, one that could hold maybe double this. Perhaps a large basketball display case or something similar. That DETOLF case from Ikea looks nice, though I worry about dust since it doesn't look airtight.

After seeing this and another thread I decided to try my hand at a display as well. That, and I realized I've started to accumulate quite a few of these little guys. I too went with one of those 3-tiered display cases from the Container Store that others have used, but I built my own stand to go inside to maximize the space.

JFox... that's really a fantastic idea. I stacked on two more display cases for series 6 and 7, and now I'm almost hitting the ceiling as they sit on the armoire I had them on. As I've mentioned, I don't care to group them by series, I like grouping them by (admittedly subjective) groupings. Still, while you'd squeeze an extra figure in, if you did 6-7-6-7-6 instead, you'd have an even 32 - exactly two sets worth of figures.

Your design is great, though... I'm admitting I might steal copy it.. or at least the basic principle. :thumbup:

minifigdisplayfull.jpg

Great display! :wub: :wub:

What would you say is the estimated cost of the whole stand, including the plastic box? I have been long tempted to make something like this, but I don't know if it's within my budget. So far all my figs are cramped together in plastic boxes because it is space efficient. :look:

JFox... that's really a fantastic idea. I stacked on two more display cases for series 6 and 7, and now I'm almost hitting the ceiling as they sit on the armoire I had them on. As I've mentioned, I don't care to group them by series, I like grouping them by (admittedly subjective) groupings. Still, while you'd squeeze an extra figure in, if you did 6-7-6-7-6 instead, you'd have an even 32 - exactly two sets worth of figures.

Your design is great, though... I'm admitting I might steal copy it.. or at least the basic principle. :thumbup:

Haha, steal copy away! And thanks for the suggestion on the row count. Having only 32 figures in there also makes a bit of space for some figures with larger accessories.

Great display! :wub: :wub:

What would you say is the estimated cost of the whole stand, including the plastic box? I have been long tempted to make something like this, but I don't know if it's within my budget. So far all my figs are cramped together in plastic boxes because it is space efficient. :look:

Hmm, total cost... Well the plastic case itself was $9.99 (plus $8.95 shipping I think). Here's a link to the case: http://www.container...=10022884&N=233. As for pieces, I want to say maybe another $10-15...ish. And of course, cost can depend on your choice of colors/pieces as well. I'm a sucker for dark red, and those round modified bricks in the front were something like $0.30 each.

So maybe $30-$35 total (with shipping). If you happen to live near a brick-and-mortar Container Store you can shave a few bucks off that.

Nice work jFox. Thanks for showing us you display stand. :thumbup: I agree with fred67, I would go for 6-7-6-7-6 too.

I've had my stand set up for about a year now, and I'm beginning to think that a two brick high step like yours might be better too, just so you can see more of the figs behind, and the shelf that I have them on the moment should be able to handle the extra height. I don't have a lot of spare system bricks, but next time I do a Bricklink or Lego S@H order I might get the extra bricks that I need - I just have to work out which extra bricks I need first! :wacko:

You are correct in stating that the Ikea DETOLF case isn't 100% air/dust proof, but it only has a small gap around the front door. The back edges are sealed. I find that I only have to lightly dust them every other month rather than every week.

Edited by Splat

Hmm, total cost... Well the plastic case itself was $9.99 (plus $8.95 shipping I think). Here's a link to the case: http://www.container...=10022884&N=233. As for pieces, I want to say maybe another $10-15...ish. And of course, cost can depend on your choice of colors/pieces as well. I'm a sucker for dark red, and those round modified bricks in the front were something like $0.30 each.

So maybe $30-$35 total (with shipping). If you happen to live near a brick-and-mortar Container Store you can shave a few bucks off that.

Thanks. :sweet: Might give it a try.

I based my minifig display on one I saw floating around the web that used an Ikea shadow frame. Instead of hot gluing 2x2 bricks to the back like the original, I used white plates as the background so I could easily rearrange the spacing of the minifigs as I got more. I removed the glass front so the accessories could fit, so unfortunately, it's not a dust free solution.

Here's my wall display with series 1-7. I've got them arranged by colour for a rainbow-ish effect.

IMG_20120508_153815.jpg

I based my minifig display on one I saw floating around the web that used an Ikea shadow frame. Instead of hot gluing 2x2 bricks to the back like the original, I used white plates as the background so I could easily rearrange the spacing of the minifigs as I got more. I removed the glass front so the accessories could fit, so unfortunately, it's not a dust free solution.

Here's my wall display with series 1-7. I've got them arranged by colour for a rainbow-ish effect.

Sorting them by color creates an interesting effect! Nice display. :thumbup: What are you going to do with new series?

egadzook, that shadow frame looks great. :thumbup: It looks pretty full at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what happens when Series 8 comes out...

@everyone - Thank you all for sharing you methods of displaying your minifigs. There are some really great ideas in this thread. I'd love to see more, so keep them coming... :classic:

Sorting them by color creates an interesting effect! Nice display. :thumbup: What are you going to do with new series?

That's how I arrange my books too; hard to find a specific book, but it sure looks pretty, lol. I guess I'll have to put together another frame when the next series comes out, but I'll have to find some more wall space first!

egadzook, that shadow frame looks great. :thumbup: It looks pretty full at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what happens when Series 8 comes out...

Thanks! It looks too full for my liking, I prefer the spacing when it holds only 6 series.

@Splat - I'd like to thank you for this design. I've been using it since before I joined Eurobricks, and it's been really effective. I was wondering what you would do with figures like the Godsilla Suit Guy, whose tail get in the way - I've had to bend him over, which isn't aestethically optimal.

7629491498_3aa83c48d3.jpg

@Splat - I'd like to thank you for this design. I've been using it since before I joined Eurobricks, and it's been really effective. I was wondering what you would do with figures like the Godsilla Suit Guy, whose tail get in the way - I've had to bend him over, which isn't aestethically optimal.

[al/7629491498/]7629491498_3aa83c48d3.jpg[/url]

Solution: put him on the top row

:classic:

Solution: put him on the top row

:classic:

I would, but it'd bother me that they weren't put in the official order (as seen on the sheet included in the packages. A little strange, I know, but we're all allowed to have our quirks).

Besides, I'd have to move the series 5 stand to the top row of stands to do that, which would throw off the entire order of things. So basically, my organizer gene won't allow it. :laugh:

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. =)

@Multiverse - Yeah, that's a tough one. Like you, I like to keep my figs in Series order, and in the order that they were on the sheet included in the packs.

Of course I designed the stands before Series 5 came out, and who was to know that the Lizard Man's tail would be so long?

This is a photo that I took when I had Series 1-5 (click to enlarge):

00000035.jpg

As I mentioned in this post:

The only minifig that doesn't fit on my stand properly is the Lizard Man (in the bottom left of the pic) because his tail is too long, so I have him standing on an angle. I also have the surfer dude and chick standing on their surfboards, and the two skaters on their skateboards, so they are on an angle too.

There are a few possibilities though:

• Remove the Lizard Man's tail for display purposes
  • Have all of the figs on an angle, so that they all look uniform, yet they should all fit (might be difficult with the figs with dresses though)
  • Create a little hole in the row behind to allow the Lizard Man's tail to slot into so he can stand straight and face forward
    Instead of 6081.gif, use 6091.gif3004.gif6091.gif (I haven't tested this to make sure it fits though)
  • Something else...?

Let us know what you decide to do...

PS. Thanks for the credit on your Flickr page :sweet:

Edited by Splat

Let us know what you decide to do...

Your picture of the 1x2 put me in mind of the 1X2 plates, so I came up with this: a stand beneath the lizard made of two 1x2 plates on top on each other (alternately just one, which will have him bending over, but less noticeably). I did the same with the skaters, surfers and snowboarders. I used black plates, but I'm thinking of perhaps switching to trans-white ones, at least for the skaters/surfers/snowboarders.

PS. Thanks for the credit on your Flickr page :sweet:

Oh, my pleasure. Credit where credit's due. ^_^

Edited by Multiverse

I would, but it'd bother me that they weren't put in the official order (as seen on the sheet included in the packages. A little strange, I know, but we're all allowed to have our quirks).

Besides, I'd have to move the series 5 stand to the top row of stands to do that, which would throw off the entire order of things. So basically, my organizer gene won't allow it. :laugh:

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. =)

I used a 2x2 tile on the minifigure baseplate to allow the lizard suit guy to stand one stud closer to the front. It makes him a tile higher than the rest, but it works. You could always replace the minifigure baseplate with some tiles and a 1x2 (or 1x4, if you want it to look more like the others) so that he's standing on the same level. One stud forward and his tail just fits in the three stud deep area.

My version:

7638081782_f02283241f.jpg

DSCF1457 by FredJH, on Flickr

7638081900_b1cffe91b5.jpg

DSCF1458 by FredJH, on Flickr

My solution to the Lizard Suit Guy, assuming you have 3 depth:

7638081572_18aaee0e57_n.jpg

DSCF1460 by FredJH, on Flickr

A 2x2 or 2x3 plate to shift him forward one. He just fits in 3 studs deep.

EDIT: I'm definitely going to replace the CMF baseplate with a series of 1x4 tile, 3 1x2 tiles, and a 1x2 plate, so that he's not higher.

Edited by fred67

Being dry on ideas for new MOCs, I went ahead and redid series 1 to 7 displays. Uses a lot of bricks, but condenses the space - 112 figures takes 6 cases (with some space left over) using the three display levels the case comes with and using a 7-6-7 order (to make it work out to an even number). The new displays do 6-7-6-7-6, and take less than 4 cases (series eight will fill the rest of the fourth case, whereas it would have made me go to a seventh case the old way).

7951968936_5424282f9b.jpg

DSCF1553 by FredJH, on Flickr

I'm sort of on the line about how condensed it all is now, but I like matching the colors with the series (and am getting a few 1x3 curves in various colors to make it a bit nicer), and it certainly is convenient and saves a ton of space. I do have to play with the placement to make them fit... but not following the order on the sheet doesn't bother me (I didn't do it before, either).

Just a question, is element 609126 same as 4125550? But I would just need more of 609126? (Ouch, 72 pieces) I could not really find anyone with enough pieces on Bricklink to make it worth the purchase and my Lego store is sold out of 4125550. :/

@Icetron - Yes, those two elements are similar, but 4125550 is 4 times as wide as 609126, so you would need 4 times as many (18 x 4 = 72) as you mentioned. You might have to make some further modifications to the design so that everything is supported properly too.

6081.gif = 4 x 6091.gif

The only reason I used 4125550 is because it was available online at Pick A Brick (PAB) at the time, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it is available there any more. 609126 does look like it is available at PAB for 15 cents US each - listed as Brick W. Arch 1X1x1 1/3.

I only have enough pieces for 8 series, so I'm not sure what I am going to do now that we know that Series 9 (and possibly more) are going to be released. :wacko:

Thanks for the reponse Splat, I also examined your design more carefully and having 4x of 609126 is gonna make it pretty ugly. I've only ordered enough parts to make 1 stand, I want to try it out first. I really like this design (I googled for a while) so thank you for sharing!

I'm going to bricklink the 4125550 that I'm missing I think. (EDIT: Nevermind, the price on it is way too much right now for my purposes...basically makes it really difficult to build it)

Lastly, is the grey 8 x 12 plate not available? I looked everywhere and could not find one.

Edited by Icetron