Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

MOC: THE HMS INVENTIVE

thindexedgif.gif 52c

The HMS Inventive was commisioned from the wreck of the previous Imperial ship, the HMS Wind

At the time, the HMS Wind was the only Imperial ship in all of the Legowind Straits. It was her sole duty to patrol the straits for pirates, with her beaching and burning the Brits were in a bit of a pickle. In stepped Govenor Crane, who had the quick mind to promote a fledling officer, Arthur Garvy to Commadore of the Legowind Straits Fleet. Com. Garvy speedily had the wreck of the Wind recovered and rebuilt the ship from the waterline where it had burned. Unfortunately, Imperial supplies in the Straits were very limited at the time, and the HMS Inventive was a bare bones Brig. There was care to make sure she float, but not much other luxary was put into her. Com. Garvy made sure his crew knew she was built for one thing, battle. He salvaged 6 long guns and 2 smaller caliber cannon for the ship and began to carefully train what soldiers he had.

Meanwhile, the crown's admiraldy found out about the loss of its ship in the Straits. It quickly dispatched its only spare ship at the moment to the straits. They assigned the retired, and often drunk, Commadore Charles Tacklebee to the small sloop, HMS Silent. WHen Tacklebee arived in the straits he was suprised to find another officer with his commision. So far there has been no word from the home government on who should keep the commision, so both ships now patrol the waters in British interests. There is a freindly rivalry between the two men, however the Battle of Trickery Bay and the temporary loss of the HMS Silent, has left Tacklebee in an embarasing position with Governor Crane.

The Brig (I think it is actually rigged as a Snow...) HMS Inventive

100_1444shrunk.jpg

And when the folder is okayed by brickshelf, here is the gallery

Note: again, limited parts at the house i am at. Obviously the ship borrows alot of parts from the Red Beard Runner kit... also i messed up the sail off the bowsprit. Need to cut a new one, just couldn't find my cloth!

Nothing really new or inventive here... just a MOC

-dan

Well it is a beautiful MOC...

I would use much more figs on the ship armed to teeth like this one is...

And I like how you use that legendary basket...

All ships should have it...

Greetings from Serbia

Looks nice, but I would suggest to raise up the whole ship a bit or just the middle section where the cannons are if you have enough pieces or when you get more peices. Also, the front mast needs some shrouds so a sailor can climb up to the crows nest. You could also put in a third mast if you wanted to.

I'm not going to comment just yet till I see the Brickshelf Gallery but in this picture it almost looks like its lacking sails on the masts. Obviously they're there but at that angle they're less noticable. Anyway, I'll shut up till I see the Brickshelf Gallery...

I'm not going to comment just yet till I see the Brickshelf Gallery but in this picture it almost looks like its lacking sails on the masts. Obviously they're there but at that angle they're less noticable. Anyway, I'll shut up till I see the Brickshelf Gallery...

yeah, well i used RBR's rigging, and you know how they skimped on pieces for booms and yardarms. i wish it had been set up more like SES or BSB's masts... instead RBR only has that one long front sail that is pretty unrealistic. I am going to have to hit bricklink up for the bottom most mast pieces and more 1x x black and those knobs for the sails...

It would also seem you've used the Red Beard Runner's hull and a few other pieces too. Did you start of with a complete Red Beard Runner then begin modifying or did you have a partial set and build it from scratch?

It would also seem you've used the Red Beard Runner's hull and a few other pieces too. Did you start of with a complete Red Beard Runner then begin modifying or did you have a partial set and build it from scratch?

actually when i built it about 8 months ago, i had just found a steal on ebay. i found a buy it now for an almost complete RBR for 9 dollars. all it was missing was a fig and a tresure chest it looked like. maybe a couple small pieces. All the essentials were there, plus i had just got back from Walt Disney World, where they have a Lego Store with a pick a brick wall... I had spent way too much and had tons of random pieces to use... not many were useful but some went into the ship.

Note: again, limited parts at the house i am at. Obviously the ship borrows alot of parts from the Red Beard Runner kit... also i messed up the sail off the bowsprit. Need to cut a new one, just couldn't find my cloth!

Nothing really new or inventive here... just a MOC

-dan

I like this ship. It has a few too many colors for me (mostly the blue) but it doesn't ruin it. At first I thought it didn't have any sails other than the front and rear but I soon realized that you took the picture full sideways and the middle sails dissappeared.

It is a a more LEGO style ship in that it is bare bones like the LEGO designs. Which works well in this case and I have no doubt this would look nice along side BSB or SES.

MOC on matey.

Looks pretty good, a third mast would be great, but it looks impossible without removing cannons, so you better keep it like this.

keep on building

Mr Tiber

i had just got back from Walt Disney World, where they have a Lego Store with a pick a brick wall... I had spent way too much and had tons of random pieces to use... not many were useful but some went into the ship.

Were there any pirate pieces at this Pick A Brick?

i had just got back from Walt Disney World, where they have a Lego Store with a pick a brick wall... I had spent way too much and had tons of random pieces to use... not many were useful but some went into the ship.

Were there any pirate pieces at this Pick A Brick?

unfortunately no, and not when i was there again last month... the make a minifig station had muskets but that was the only pieces that were ever in pirates that were abailable... though i made some cool looking dudes, 3 bucks a piece was too much for figs that didnt really fit into my collection.

At first glance I thought this warped.jpg was a curve made of plates but it was just a weird illusion.

I have to agree with some that the color scheme is not ideal but it is OK I geuss.

I really like the stern chasers *y* I need to start adding that detail to my own ships.

I love your MOC. I really thought you gave some great detail to the ship. I especially like your telescope on the deck.

I don't mind the color scheme, the choice of colors you used are generally hard to pull together but I think you did a fine job.

Thanks for sharing!

I'ts a really nice MOC...congrats man...i love it...6 cannons! what a powerful ship!but why there are pirates and soldiers in the same ship?

I'ts a really nice MOC...congrats man...i love it...6 cannons! what a powerful ship!but why there are pirates and soldiers in the same ship?

Arr!!!!They don't have to be pirates!! not every man in a striped shirt an a bandana is a pirate! He probarly mixed them because a ship needs sailors, your ''pirates'' are the sailors.

hehe... well i think it was imperial flagship that had "pirate looking" sailors on it. on alot of the navy's ships not everyone was part of the navy there were alot of hired hands that were merely there to staff the boat. it makes it easier to crew more imperial vessles if followed this... not needing as many imperials per ship helps... however you may be asking while there is a redbeard model on there lol... i just stuck him on there as "an old salty sea pilot" or i just put him there accidently, dont know. lol

as for colors, i have the problem that i am away from my real collection (though this one at this house is getting larger and quickly...) so i was at loss of pieces to keep enough solid colors... ideally there would be no blue or maybe even yellow on the ship. those were just the pieces i had available.