WhiteFang

REVIEW: 4191 The Captain's Cabin

On a scale of 1 to 5  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

thindexedgif.gif

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

After reviewing the 4181 Isla De Muerta set, I will continue to review the complete Pirates of the Caribbean series. This time, I am reviewing the smallest looking set in this series. Please note that this set is part of the fourth upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides, blockbuster movie, so some part of the co-relations might be some form of inference and guessing on my end. Without further ado, let me continue with this new epic release.

Name: 4191 The Captain's Cabin

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates of the Caribbean

Year: 2011

Pieces: 94

Minifigs: 3 minifigures

Price: USD$11.99, GBP 10.49, SGD$29.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original box image of the 4191 The Captain's Cabin

1.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 4191 The Captain's Cabin

2.jpg

You think a couple of cosmetic zombies will scared Captain Jack Sparrow?

30.jpg

The Captain's Cabin is part of the movie settings and I haven't got a chance to watch the movie yet as it is due for release on the 19th May 2011. And, my assumption is thinking this settings is actually can be integrated together with the 4195 Queen Anne’s Revenge.

This is the smallest set in the entire range and I am actually more surprised to see such a tiny box containing the parts. I am glad that LEGO is deciding to compact the box to store the content. The box is measured at 14cm (length) x 12cm (wide) and 4.5cm (depth).

The content of the sealed POTC LEGO box

3.jpg

In this tiny little box, you will get an instruction manual package along with 2 sealed polybags.

Instruction Manual Package

6.jpg

I am so pleased to see that it is continuing to come in cardboard backing to serve as a support for the instruction manual, poster and card.

Front view of the POTC Poster

7.jpg

This poster is definitely one of mine favourite as it contains all of the recent LEGO POTC playsets in this illustration. I will love to pin this up onto my office cubicle to admire this scene! Furthermore, I am sure this posters is one of the most easily available as compared to the rest of the much expensive sets.

Back view of the POTC Poster

8deeplink.jpg

The back of the poster shows the upcoming video game release of the Pirates of the Caribbean.

POTC: Jack Sparrow Collectable Minifigure Card

4.jpg

In this set, it comes with a Jack Sparrow Collectable Minifigure card and at the back of it, there is a cryptic game code or some sort for us to activate. I am not very sure of what it can do though. In any case, this card will be good for any LEGO card collectors.

Pouring the building bricks and parts

9.jpg

Jack Sparrow and his nemesis in the latest upcoming movie, "On Stranger Tides"

12.jpg

In every set, we always evaluate our minifigures and in this case, this set offered 2 nasty menacing looking zombie, along with an unique expression of Captain Jack Sparrow. As always, the amount of details entail onto their torsos and facial expressions especially for those zombie crews are just amazing. They look so incredibly taunting and made you want to build a whole crew of them. You can also take a look at this image without the accessories, so you can admire the sheer prints on it.

There is only one thing which disappoints me. For that kind of exorbitant price which we are paying to TLG and Disney license, we ought to get one more minifigure. In the past, most of these sets like the 7195 Ambush in Cairo and the 7569 Desert Attack, for example. They, each comes with four minifigures instead of three minifigures. I did wish it can comes with an additional zombie crew or something else, but I believe there is a possible explanation for such reduction which will be explained in the sections below.

These are the amazing minifigures back printings

13.jpg

You got to enjoy every bit of these detailed printings and the one on the right is my favourite. :wub:

Let's split!

28.jpg

Useful parts and accessories that can be found in this LEGO set

10.jpg

This set is simply parts galore! I am loving it. It comes with so many cool and useful elements like those dark brown tele-scopes, cutlasses, giant bones cub, 1 x 2 x 1 trans-clear panels, flintlock pistol and etc. But, what I love most are the printed parts.

My favourite new LEGO printed parts!

11.jpg

These incredible printed LEGO parts could be one of the possible reason which lead to the reduction of one minifigure. We have printed LEGO elements like the 2 glass bottles which inscribe prints of sail ships which illustrated those sail ships in those glass bottles for decoration, along with the circular map known as the Mao Kun map or the Map to the Land of the Dead, that was kept by Jack Sparrow and originally owned by Sao Feng. The original map was quite a big piece and it was cut out by Jack Sparrow to prevent from leaving it to Barbossa. So, I think TLG has done a great job to capture the map design in this rightful circular piece.

Of course, you have to mention the unique printed compass that doesn't point North but pointing to the one which you strongly desires. Every bit of these printed fiesta, simply drives me crazy. You can't deny the fact that such licensed themes can actually rid those stickers by quite a significant amount.

The Captain's writing desk

16.jpg

Seeing this writing desk, reminds me of those small little advent calendars built and for this, I find this design quite unique by making use of skeleton legs which can be seen here. This writing desk contains a burning torch, golden cup and the Mao Kun map.

The fabulous globe stand

18.jpg

Who doesn't love the world atlas? I love studying Geography and this first printed world globe which is placed on this stand, is simply so incredible. I am actually loss for words when I was playing around with the globe. The prints are extremely detailed. You can also swirl the mechanism below to depict the turning of the globe in 360 degrees. You can take a look at bottom of the stand.

The glass bottles rack

20.jpg

The simple glass bottles rack built in dark brown and decorated pearl gold to house and placed those glass bottles ships onto those racks. Matching the design with the Queen Anne’s Revenge vessel, it combines with those skeletal designs to blend in together with the vessel. You can also take a closer look on the shelves.

Side view

22.jpg

Back view

23.jpg

The whole Captain's Cabin set-up

24.jpg

Placing all of the 3 components together, you will get a complete Captain's Cabin set up. It is pretty fitting as these components help to complements one another in the vessel decorations. After the building, these are the remaining spare parts.

I must get back my stuff for what was stolen from me!

25.jpg

You will never live to catch Captain Jack Sparrow!

27.jpg

Don't try and best them in combat!

29.jpg

To conclude, despite of the roaring high price of this tiny little set, it is expected that the Disney License is one of the reasons behind it. The reduction of the usual four minifigures to three minifgiures are some of the disadvantages of this set. However, on the overall evaluation, I find this set very amazing as it helps to reach a new milestones on new printed parts. In addition, the new minifigures especially those zombie crews entails amazing details and I could see that they are not saving cost on those prints. Furthermore, this is more of an useful parts packs filled with loads of amazing new parts and elements. I, for sure will be picking up more of it if only the price can be made a lot more affordable.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Merged it together with the Queen Anne’s Revenge to increase its playability.)

Design: 9/10 (Detailed looking designs with loads of new printed parts.)

Price: 6/10 (Pretty costly to own new LEGO licensed sets even for such a smallest set in the entire range.)

Overall: 7.7/10 (You won't want to miss these new printed parts and minifigures.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Great review as always. Thanks for sharing!

I like the photos better now, very vivid.

On the set:

I like the Jack Sparrow minifig, and all the printed parts (map, compass, bottles, globe)!

A bit pricy though C$15 (+ 13% tax). But definitely one of the sets I will get.

Oh, an excellent review of an excellent set, WhiteFang! ) :thumbup:

Actually I consider this set to be easilly the best one in the whole line after the Whitecap Bay one. ) The accesories are just great: a globe, two bottles, three long bones, a map. What else do we need from that size set?

The figs are great as well, but I really feel a bit upset that those zombies appear in so many sets without any differences between them. So far I have about 5 gunner zombies. And I still haven't decided what to use them for in customizing! :pir-hmpf:

I'm looking forward to more reviews from you. They're always very informative and exciting to read! :sweet:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

ARRRR, 'Fangy' you old sea dog.....thank ye for this review of the Captain's Cabin....I been tell him to keep it clean ! :pir-laugh:

I voted above average, but not for the price (got it 20% off last Thursday at Target)...the reason for my vote....ships in bottles and that Globe - so cool and yet clever construction !

Planning another review, 'Fangy' ?

Keep on drinking that rum ! :pir-laugh:

Another excellent review, Fangy. Your pics keep improving with every effort too!

I really adore this set. My desire for beautifully printed parts has increased in recent years, and this set delivers some of the neatest printed pieces I've seen in a while. Personally I don't mind the tradeoff of a minifigure in able to acquire these fine parts. As mentioned before, it's a shame that the contents of this set can't tuck away nicely into the QAR, but at least this displays nicely on its own.

Wow, this is another wonderful review,by WhiteFang. I've been waiting for this small little cute set for quite sometimes. :pir-wink:

It's an awesome set ever with so many printed rare parts. :pir-blush:

Your descriptions are clear and interesting, it made me love this theme more than before.

Those pictures are nice and beautiful, did you change your camera or did you use other techniques to edit your pictures?

:bonaparte:

Good job, fellow ! I'm looking forward to seeing your next review.

Great to know that you enjoyed these photos now.

The figs are great as well, but I really feel a bit upset that those zombies appear in so many sets without any differences between them. So far I have about 5 gunner zombies. And I still haven't decided what to use them for in customizing! :pir-hmpf:

For myself, I don't really find a problem to have identical zombies as I will be gladly to build a zombie crew for the shipping vessel. In your case, customisation is your forte, you infuse personalities into each individuals, so I can understand from your angle. Nevertheless, these zombie crews are not restricted merely to Pirates? It could be explored as mercenaries, Indiana Jones villains, etc. That's what I have in mind, when I first meddle with those minifigures. I am sure in time to come, you will find an ingenious way to utilise them.

Planning another review, 'Fangy' ?

Hope to get another POTC set soon! I am not sure if it will be anytime soon, but so far I am enjoying this theme very much. :thumbup:

I really adore this set. My desire for beautifully printed parts has increased in recent years, and this set delivers some of the neatest printed pieces I've seen in a while. Personally I don't mind the tradeoff of a minifigure in able to acquire these fine parts. As mentioned before, it's a shame that the contents of this set can't tuck away nicely into the QAR, but at least this displays nicely on its own.

I fully agrees with your thoughts. IMHO, the trade-off is worthwhile to get exclusive new rare printed parts to complement to your MOCs and other projects which one could plan.

Those pictures are nice and beautiful, did you change your camera or did you use other techniques to edit your pictures?

Thank you Belun! You knows better, and yes, it is a new camera. :pir-wink:

Whitefang!!! what a beautiful review. I am in love with this new camera of yours. The pictures are so crisp and clear, adn of course your reviews are just on par every time.

I own this set and will review it eventually but I may have to wait until people have forgot about yours. :pir-tongue:

Thanks for the excellent review, Whitefang!

The set is absolutely amazing considering it's size. The globe, bottles, map, compass, bones, goblet and fantastic minifigures in a £10 set sounds good to me! Although I only usually buy sets containing female minifigures, I'm sure I'll pick this up seeing as Jack and the Yoeman Zombie both have hairpieces that could be used for females, plus they're prints are brilliant.

Thanks again for the review!

For people who have watched the movie, POTC 4, you got to be amazed with the whole Captain's Cabin idea especially the bottles rack. I totally never expect the logic and concept behind this. :pir_laugh2:

I watched mine last night and after watching, I need to complete my POTC collection soon. It's just amazing. :pir-tongue:

This is an amazingly good review, I really have to thank you for it. I was considering buying this set but the fact that it has only 3 figs for this price, got me a bit off. I payed a visit to my local shop and saw this set (they had only two of these and nothing else from POTC) and while I held it in my hands I remembered your review and bought it. What should I say besides... thank you. I just love it. And now I will go and costumize some more zombies for my crew, lucky for me I have alot of CMF series 1 zombies.

Anyone merged this set with the QAR? I have the QAR but not this set, i'm thinking of a possible way to do it, but we'll see.

Anyone merged this set with the QAR? I have the QAR but not this set, i'm thinking of a possible way to do it, but we'll see.

I was thinking about doing it. You would have to take out the lamps from the cabin and take the bones and clip pieces off the shelf. I think the shelf might be too tall as is. You will have to modify the shelf. That's what kept me from doing it. On a final note you will have no room for a minifig if you choose to put in the table or the globe. Both of those will not fit together.

Great Review!

I just wish Lego had actually intended this to be merged with QAR a little more easily. I would've defintiely improved the set in my eyes. Still I bought it, built it and beloved it.

Nice review :pir-sweet:

too bad this nto for scale with Queen's anne revenge but those printed bootless are so tempting to buy this

Edited by AyaToyBox

I posted this in the Queen Anne's Revenge review, but this is how I added the Captain's Cabin set to the QAR set (although I forgot to put the skull on the top shelf)

1f7f7ea8.jpg

I think it fits pretty well actually.

Fantastic review Fangy! Detailed along with beautiful pictures, thanks!

I bought this set last week and I like it. I wanted to be introduced in the PotC world and I think that this set does the job pretty well since it's one of the cheapest too (not too cheap in general though). Jack's minifig is fantastic and there are some really beautiful pieces and elements in this set (so many printed pieces! :pir-wub: ).

Thanks again for the brilliant review!

Thanks everyone for your comments. :pir-sweet:

I posted this in the Queen Anne's Revenge review, but this is how I added the Captain's Cabin set to the QAR set (although I forgot to put the skull on the top shelf)

Thank you for sharing.

What PotC set do you plan to buy next?

Not sure yet, but I am intending to complete the entire series.

Fantastic review Fangy! Detailed along with beautiful pictures, thanks!

I bought this set last week and I like it. I wanted to be introduced in the PotC world and I think that this set does the job pretty well since it's one of the cheapest too (not too cheap in general though). Jack's minifig is fantastic and there are some really beautiful pieces and elements in this set (so many printed pieces! :pir-wub: ).

Thanks again for the brilliant review!

Thank you Zorbas. I am so glad to know that you are actually starting to try out the POTC theme a try. I am sure you will definitely enjoy it very much. :pir-wink:

WhiteFang, what a marvellous review! :thumbup:

Admittedly I was somewhat hestitant about purchasing these Pirates of the Caribbean sets but your review has helped to way my opinion. I immediately went and purchased two Captain's Cabins!

WhiteFang, what a marvellous review! :thumbup:

Admittedly I was somewhat hestitant about purchasing these Pirates of the Caribbean sets but your review has helped to way my opinion. I immediately went and purchased two Captain's Cabins!

Thank you Phes! To convince you is not an easy feat, so I am really happy to know that the review helped you a little in your decision making. :pir-sweet:

On the set:

I like the Jack Sparrow minifig, and all the printed parts (map, compass, bottles, globe)!

A bit pricy though C$15 (+ 13% tax). But definitely one of the sets I will get.

The price is why I voted for average, I t was great and deserved a 5/5. But the pricy cost resulted in a score deduction. :pir_bawling: