Sign in to follow this  
ghoulrealm

Crab Island

I don't even like the customized head of that wolf.

At least arthropods have a slight mechanical like aspect to them.

The back is more of a decorative technic slope, not a shooting piece. It is unsightly though.

I think that sums up the reason why I'm against including "brick beasts" in SYSTEM Pirate sets - when juxtaposed in the same set they look too robotic. Like the Fenrir Wolf in the Viking theme looked way too menchanical to work as part of a SYSTEM theme.

I agree, when you look at the beasts in the Viking theme you might think those poor Scandinavians are fighting some mechanical invaders from the future or outer space, rather than mythological creatures.

At least arthropods have a slight mechanical like aspect to them.

I agree again - arthopods in magnification look slightly mechanical, so perhaps if you want to build a brick beast, an arthropod will be the best choice (although it probably won't be minifig scale, or will just be an abnormally giant creature like the one discussed here).

I assume two mean anthropods look machinical in the sense their bodies are made of segments like machines, particularly the industrial ones are often made of different components? The question I still ask is to what degree can they look mechanical? I still think anthropods would look too mechanical for a tradional SYSTEM theme.

I do try to make em as organic as possible even with my spaceships.

they are suppose to have half mechanical- half biological technology.

The pirates in the story exterminated it, if that's any consolation to you 'craby' haters :-D

I've made some alterations to the giant fiddler crab

fiddlercrab8.jpg

I've added a couple of dark red arms for a fuller abdomen.

fiddlercrab9.jpg

and a black tip to the fixed finger claw

fiddlercrab12.jpg

here is a better ventral view

When oo7 mentioned the sentry bot set it sparked an idea to moc a swimming crab with some of that set's pieces...

swimmingcrab2.jpg

swimmingcrab5.jpgswimmingcrab6.jpg

swimmingcrab7.jpgswimmingcrab4.jpg

Let me know if the picture posting is a little "overboard'

or if these kind of mocs are more apropriate in another subforum.

As for more ideas, a big octopus perhaps, a wild boar, an angry whale, a shark, a large snake, a mighty walrus, a giant rat? heh.

I have a walrus and a whale in the works, so you can cross them off the list soon :-)

The posting isn't too over board but a lot of images in a short space is a lot for a user to digest so it may affect the the response your thread gets.

fiddlercrab12.jpg

Come to think of it this creation reminds me of Beast Wars...

I've added more dark red elements to my favorite crab moc, including "painted" parts.

Coloring dark grey with a red sharpie marker perfectly macthes Lego's dark red, but it is wiped off easily when handled. :(

fiddlercrabp8.jpgfiddlercrabp0.jpg

fiddlercrabp4.jpgfiddlercrabp3.jpg

I was going to place all my crab mocs here, but since a horseshoe crab, even a giant one, wouldn't be much pose much of a threat to pirates, I've placed it here.

At first I'm thinking "NOOOO, why did you paint all your little usefull greebles, binoculars, minifig hands, doc ock claws!!" But then I was relieved to find out the sharpie wipes of when handled. You should be happy, you get nice pictures, and can use them for other non dark red purposes when finished!

Very nice MOC, as always!

It's amazing how you put all those parts to this use, I would never be able to do that! Great work Mr Ghoulrealm!