Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

REVIEW - Cars 2 - 8424-1: Mater's Spy Zone

Number three now, man....number four might be tomorrow now.

8424-1: Mater's Spy Zone

0000_8424_0.jpg

Okay, we see on the front box art a pink spy car and goodness, now this is real red neck eh ? Mater with machine guns - AWESOME !

0000_8424_1.jpg

Above we have the rear of the box, with the vehicle showing weapons - nice ! :devil:

Close ups of our spy heros, Agent Mater (oh, dear....Agent 86 on wheels :laugh: ) and Holly Shiftwell (I don't know how they come up with these names do you ? :laugh: )

Next lets look at what we get and then open the bags.

0000_8424_3.jpg

0000_8424_5.jpg

Okay, now pretty in pink right ?

0000_8424_6.jpg

Before I forget, the DSS and it's all for the spy computer/weapons store/thingy ! :grin:

0000_8424_4.jpg

Now you though Lightning McQueen was simple, three shots start to finish just 13 steps.

0000_8424_7.jpg

0000_8424_8.jpg

0000_8424_9.jpg

The spy control panel thing-a-me-bob ! :grin:

0000_8424_10.jpg

0000_8424_11.jpg

0000_8424_12.jpg

Note the 2x4 tile has a giant keyboard sticker on it....now don't ask me how it Twitter's or goes on Facebook with radial tyres for fingers ! :laugh:

Mater.....oops, sorry Agent Mater.....let me guess his number Agent 3 and half ! :laugh:

I'm only going to show the differences in the build relating to the jet engines and tommy gun mounts though first Bag TWO.

0000_8424_13.jpg

0000_8424_14.jpg

0000_8424_15.jpg

0000_8424_16.jpg

Now a parting shot.....Cars 2 packing HEAT ! :devil:

0000_8424_17.jpg

Rating time....yes, it's that time again and NO, it's not because it's Mater ! :laugh:

Design - 5/5 - though the Holly is simple (no blonde jokes here) in design that is, it's still cool and cute too. The only thing that could be a minus is the tommy guns on Mater point downwards....which could mean that he'll fly and shoot....be afraid, very afraid ! :laugh:

Parts - 5/5 - only because of three pink vehicle components....a mini Barbie sports car ! :grin:

Price - 4.5/5 - another 24 buck set (that's Aussie dollars) for what you get is good value for money....more pieces on Mater, flick-fires and some pretty pink (Belville meets Scarface)! :devil:

Playability - 5/5 - it's for girls, it's for boys, it's just for fun....heck the games and role play you can use this one for is huge in number.

Of course there is one left to do for the moment, Classic Lightning - should be tomorrow no later so keep on spying ! :grin:

Edited by Siegfried
Corrected tags...

Thanks for another review LT! That pink car is unexpectedly lovely I must say, probably because of the hot pink color. Not a bad set overall, though I'd pass on this for the other sets.

Very interesting set! Again I love these bricks they made for these sets. :sweet:

The set is also a really high chance of selling all summer because of the new movie.

Very nice bright reddish violet (BL's magenta) parts! This set really doesn't appeal to me, but those magenta parts knock my socks off!

So is Mater exactly the same as in the 'Classic Mater' set just with add-ons, or his expression different?

I do like that pink car, although the 'Spy Zone' itself seems pretty useless.

Gotta love Holly Shiftwell! The name is spot on for James Bond's female characters and as a LEGO er, figure, the colours definitely make her a standout.

Hmm. The pink car seemed more of a purple colour on the box and images, it's a bit brighter than I expected.

Unexpectedly, those guns Mater has will be useful to me, as I don't own any of those particular types. I don't think cars are meant to have guns anyway. :laugh:

Oh, for those who want to know really, Holly is girly hot pink or dare I say Belville pink ! :laugh:

I still fear Mater those guns though, at least he isn't packing C4 for when you want more....C4 (Bless you Mythbusters)! :laugh:

Thanks to all those who have read and also left comments, my efforts have been fruitful ! :grin:

Keep on spying ! :wink:

LT, I think you forgot your 'parting shot' of Cars 2 packing heat - you have a line for it, but then no picture. The last picture is halfway through Mater's build.

Thanks 'Clone O'Patra', it posted okay yesterday....something screwed up - perhaps me ! :laugh:

The two missing pictures are there now everyone, I'll point out on Holly you remove the tile on her side to mount the cannon/laser/gun/sensor device or whatever that is ! :laugh:

But doesn't she remind of motoring-graphics-2_825171a.jpg....just a though ! :laugh:

Keep on spying ! :grin:

The Cars 2 movie will probably inspire "The Fast and the Furious" MOCs using the Cars characters. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The characters probably stretch out their lips or tongues to type on that keyboard using the "hunt and peck" method. :tongue: If My Little Pony characters can live comfortably in a house that had doorknobs, you can bet that Cars characters aren't stymied by a keyboard.

Nice review. An interesting set. The use of magenta stands out against the other pieces. And as FuzzyLegoBricks said it may be a best seller due to the release of the new movie. Again nice review!

I'm guessing that trans piece on the hood of the pink car is supposed to represent 'sunglasses'? :laugh:

I'm guessing that trans piece on the hood of the pink car is supposed to represent 'sunglasses'? :laugh:

No, I think it's more of a weapons targeting screen type thing, since she is a spy after all.

Hmm interesting set, its actually one I may get. I'm not really a fan of this line, but being a LEGO collector and reviewer I suppose I should get one or two :classic: Who knows, I may want more! :laugh:

Thanks for the review! :wink: