lightningtiger

REVIEW - Cars 2 - 8201-1: Classic Mater

Time now for review number two.

8201-1: Classic Mater

0000_8201_0.jpg

Link - BRICKSET

Oh, and the back of the box gives you the parts breakdown.

0000_8201_1.jpg

Lets open the box and see what we got eh ?

0000_8201_2.jpg

Parts spread out now.

0000_8201_3.jpg

The next three images are printed parts including 2x4 bricks.

0000_8201_4.jpg

0000_8201_5.jpg

0000_8201_6.jpg

Okay, in steps six, twelve and final shots of construction plus anything special....like the tow hook set up.

0000_8201_7.jpg

0000_8201_8.jpg

0000_8201_9.jpg

0000_8201_10.jpg

0000_8201_11.jpg

0000_8201_12.jpg

0000_8201_13.jpg

Now a parting shot with perhaps a loser and it's not Mater. :laugh:

0000_8201_14.jpg

Now how do we rate this....well lets see.

Design - 5/5 - heck it's Mater and it looks like him ! :grin:

Parts - 4.5/5 - I know printed parts are hard to reuse in other creations, but hey it's Mater ! :laugh:

Price - 4/5 - 13 dollars this cost me and for the size of the vehicle, well hey it's Mater ! :wink:

Playability - 5/5 - it's a cool tow truck from a cool movie and kids will love him to be driving around there Lego City.

Overall - 18.5/20 - higher than my first....but hey it's Mater ! :laugh:

Well, till my next review which might be involving a pink car and a tommy gun carrying tow truck.....keep on racing ! :grin:

You know, it's clear to me that you like this set and yet you've sort of convinced me not to get it. This was going to be one of only two Cars sets that I wanted, but the model just looks pretty ugly to me. It looks elongated somewhat compared to the character, or maybe that's just my perception. For whatever reason, this set just does not seem as appealing anymore.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad the printed parts aren't stickers!

Thanks for the review, lightningtiger. I'll be getting this because... it's Mater!

But seriously, I'll get this if for no other reason than the shear joy my 3 year old will get out of us building this set together.

I like it, much less <insert that tiresome argument> than Lightning McQueen.

Nice printed parts and the new mudguard/headlights combined piece has great potential for other vehicles.

:classic: :classic:

Thanks for another review LT! I, for one, like this small set a lot, it's a good thing TLG decided to release Mater as a single vehicle set, makes him more readily available and affordable in case one doesn't have any intention of buying the larger sets. Mater looks pretty good in LEGO version, probably the best one among all of the Cars vehicles IMO.

Thanks for the review!

I admit I'm not a big fan of the Cars line but some, like this one, I might get :classic:

Thanks LT for the awesome review! I am so glad that there are a new piece

for holding the tow hook, and the hood brick is really nice! I think I will get that piece. :classic:

Nice review! I was kind of surprised that his face/windshield piece, if done in transparent, could actually function as a windshield! I expected it to be more like a 2x2x2 slope brick, rather than hollow underneath and in the back. It's a pleasant surprise without question. I kind of see what Clone O'Patra means about it seeming elongated in the back, but still I think this is a well-designed set for its size and certainly a stunning rendition of a main character from the films!

I really take issue with a lot of complaints that parts in this theme are "<insert that tiresome argument>". As my brother points out, a lot of these people may be the same people cheering when these parts come out without prints and prove to be extremely useful for building four-wide vehicles.

I really take issue with a lot of complaints that parts in this theme are "<insert that tiresome argument>". As my brother points out, a lot of these people may be the same people cheering when these parts come out without prints and prove to be extremely useful for building four-wide vehicles.

I may have been one of those who've slightly complained about some pieces being '<insert that tiresome argument>'. I still find it that way, but if there's a perfect example that Cars characters can be built without looking too <insert that tiresome argument> it's this Mater - almost every piece is a standard 'non-<insert that tiresome argument>' piece, even the windshield doesn't look that <insert that tiresome argument>. Unlike the other characters with one huge top and bumper piece, though I understand it's the best way to capture the shape, but still...

But at the end of the day even if the other character vehicles look <insert that tiresome argument>, I still like them as a whole since I love Cars. :wub:

I love Mater character and this set will be probaply the only set I will get from this theme.

Lego did a great job picturing the Cars characters.

Idea for people who don't like the build/ <insert that tiresome argument> pieces (lol where?):

If you have cinema in your City, put Mater/ Mcqueen near it as a promotional statue!

Yay, another review. :classic:

I think I prefer Mater to Lightning McQueen, because while it's still a bit too blocky for me, Lightning McQueen looks a bit too streamlined.

oh crap, that's reddish brown! I thought it looked like dark brown on the earlier photos :cry_sad:

I don't think there will be any Cars sets for me, the dark brown was what sparked a tiny interest for me but now it's lost. Well, well, lesson learned.

I'm disappointed in lego, when I first saw pictures of the cars sets I thought that they would be using the traditional windshield piece and other existing pieces to create the faces of the cars, instead of all these new molds. That's just the sort of thing I like and the fact that so many new molds from the cars sets could be made from existing pieces kinda ticks me off.

I'm disappointed in lego, when I first saw pictures of the cars sets I thought that they would be using the traditional windshield piece and other existing pieces to create the faces of the cars, instead of all these new molds. That's just the sort of thing I like and the fact that so many new molds from the cars sets could be made from existing pieces kinda ticks me off.

How could the windshield piece be used to create a 2x3 windshield? As I see it, this new windshield on Mater is brilliant specifically because it could function as an actual windshield in future sets, and fills a role that no previous windshield filled (that of an odd-width windscreen). As for the faces of other cars, true, they probably could have used other pieces. This would have prevented them from being done well using prints or stickers-- they'd have to rely on STAMPS (Stickers Across Multiple Pieces), something even I object to.

In general, most of the new molds in Cars are about as versatile as any smaller pieces that could have been used to build them, and yet give a much more attractive and streamlined look to the vehicles. When you consider that most of these new parts are basically this theme's "minifigure accessories", its parts are no more specialized that most molds specific to the Star Wars or Batman themes. More versatile, in fact, because in general they replicate shapes that aren't specific to any particular franchise, can be used for actual structural building rather than just as minifigure parts and greebles, and can be used easily in other non-licensed themes.

As a whole, the set does a good job of capturing the character's personality. I'm just bothered by the the way the side mirrors hang so precariously. It doesn't look very stable.

Yet another great review 'Lightningtiger'.

Nice to see there are no stickers in this set.

I like the new molds which are included in this set. I can see them becoming great use in some future sets default_thumbup.gif

I love Mater character and this set will be probaply the only set I will get from this theme.

Ditto... this is the only Cars set I want, and am very pleased to see printed pieces. I couldn't tell from the latest LEGO magazine (and you know they do a pretty good job of making things look as nice as possible), but was hoping.

I've come to the conclusion that whether you like printed pieces or not depends on whether you intend to build the set or use the set for pieces. I like printed pieces in the City line, but in a a few licensed themes I wish they were stickers (although fans of those themes would most certainly disagree).

These sets have some great pieces, and I contemplated picking up the sets for some of the pieces, but I don't know what I'd do with the 1/2 dozen printed pieces that would be fairly useless for anything other than making the character in the set.

Thanks for the review LT.

Well I guess what can be said for this set is that at least there are some useable pieces for making MOCs. The wings for example would be ideal for a 1950's car.

Thanks for another review LT! I, for one, like this small set a lot, it's a good thing TLG decided to release Mater as a single vehicle set, makes him more readily available and affordable in case one doesn't have any intention of buying the larger sets. Mater looks pretty good in LEGO version, probably the best one among all of the Cars vehicles IMO.

+1!! This is the best looking Lego brick rendition of Cars character that looks closest to the movie! I like the use of those wide slicks too..which suggest rear duallie and that slightly tilted forward stance of the truck,which gives Mater a "gesture". Love it! :thumbup:

As a whole, the set does a good job of capturing the character's personality. I'm just bothered by the the way the side mirrors hang so precariously. It doesn't look very stable.

Well on both Mater's they are fine, unless you are going to rough-house with them then the SW droid arms will break as usual. :laugh:

Thanks to everyone who read and even replied to this review....you may never know when the next one will appear ! :sweet:

Keep on burning rubber ! :grin:

:classic: great review!!! :classic: i only have enough money for classic mater or radiator springs lightning mcqueen :cry_sad:

which one do you think i should get?????? :look:

You know, it's clear to me that you like this set and yet you've sort of convinced me not to get it. This was going to be one of only two Cars sets that I wanted, but the model just looks pretty ugly to me. It looks elongated somewhat compared to the character, or maybe that's just my perception. For whatever reason, this set just does not seem as appealing anymore.

Oh, it's appealing. It's probably just your perception. A brilliant tow truck for a cheep price.