• Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Ding Dong
  2. 2. Which is your favourite build?

• Main Build: Hillside House
    • Secondary Build: Holiday Home
    • Tertiary Build: Country Cottage

Wow, this set is really lacking a baseplate. It is necessary IMO. It's just not the same without one. I like the second house the best, but the set overall is not good. And that sound brick is annoying. Much like my sister's old doll house :tongue:

Thanks for another great review, Rufus. I too love the grill. I'm not so sure about the brick built dog. I'm not really a fan of brick built animals. They just don't seem proportional, esp now that minifigs are being included in the Creator sets.

Great review, thanks a lot! I'll get this for sure, along with the lighthouse. I agree that a baseplate would be nice, but overall it's a nice set - I even like the car.

The only thing that puts me off is this:

Note: visible musical notation does not float out of the sound brick when it is activated.

Darn. That would be SO much better than that stupid sound.

I have a couple of questions, though, regarding the canines: a) what HAS the dog done in this picture?

5679044755_5416e66315_z.jpg

And b) Might that be a miserable attempt at a bulldog or a pug in that third alternate build?

5680827585_0e4d63f7ba_z.jpg

Fabulous review, Rufus! I saw this while it was a WIP in the reviewer's academy, and you've done a bang up job :grin:

These creator houses never cease to appeal to me. While the generic minifigures obviously aren't a must have, I do like their inclusions in these latest creator sets. I'm most delighted about the increase in accessories and details in these new houses, they certainly make them feel like places to live instead of empty shells (I realize most of these accessories are outside of the house itself, but you catch my drift). While a steeper hill would have been more interesting, I can see the logistics in keeping the elevation change a mere brick high. And though the door bell is pretty cheesy, it's got a lot of charm.

This set was already a must have, but you've only made me crave it even more. I can't wait to see what TLC gives us next in terms of creator houses!

And b) Might that be a miserable attempt at a bulldog or a pug in that third alternate build?

I think the dog in the third model is a poodle, actually.

Anyway, I like this set but I find it's not quite as artistically-designed as some of the older Creator houses. I've built a lot of them on LDD, and I have to say I love the diversity of models that can be built with one set's pieces. The second model in this set is definitely the most outstanding of the three, with the rooftop patio and classy hot tub. The third is also creative, but not especially attractive.

Anyway, the reason the minifigure is so generic is because the main reason for minifigures in Creator houses is because a lot of buyers might not have generic minifigures in their collections. From the LEGO Club website's interview:

Next year, LEGO Creator sets will feature their very first Minifigure! How will this change the way you work?

Good question! Last year, we did a lot of testing with houses, as they are some of our most successful models. We wanted to learn more about them and how you guys would like to improve them. Every boy we asked said they would play with their figures in the houses, but the figures they have at home might be Darth Vader or a Power Miners figure. These guys don’t live in houses like this! Therefore, we decided to add our own Creator figure to complete our house products. The figure won’t be used in any of our other models; it’s only the houses that are Minifigure-scale that we add them to.

On a side note, I for one don't mind the roaring kid. He's ridiculous, but in my eyes hilariously so. The pages for those polls used to be drab and boring, but nowadays my brother and I have a good chuckle every time we see our pal the roaring kid in an instruction booklet. Of course he's not quite as fun as the "HEY!" guy from City box art, who changes with every sub-theme.

That minifig isn't generic. It's the best unlicensed approximation to Joe Vig you can make. I very much doubt that's a coincidence.

Tim

Superb review, Rufus - many thanks ! In some ways it's particularly good to see the alternate builds as these tend to get ignored by many.

I'm becoming ever more partial to these Creator houses - I must have 6 or 7 now - and this one is another 'must buy' for me, although I agree that it's maybe not as appealing as the last few Creator houses.

D.

Some really nice parts to that set- like the patio doors and the barbeque.

But-why oh why have roof tiles in bright primary red? I've never seen roofs in that colour- surely a dark red (as with the log cabin) or even dark blue would have been more suitable if not standard black?

This is towards the top of my list! I too am a bit overwhelmed with the red roof/white wall combo. But, it's not going to deter me from buying this. Also, another bland minifigures?! Come on Lego.

Great review! I like the layout and all the space inside . . . still, I think the Apple Tree House (modded) is going to remain my minifigure-self's home. It just looks nicer overall, I think.

Great review 'Rufus'. I have anticipated on a review for this set and you nailed it! It looks great, this is definitely on my want list now :classic:

Excellent review. Still I do think minifigs are not creator's style, but... :thumbup:

Sweet looking place and you are right that it lacks the little wow factor, maybe its the lack of rare/more realistic colours like Apple tree houses dark blue roof. Great review and you have tempted me, especially with the tan windows and dark orange tiles. :laugh:

Awesome review and cute set! I must buy it as soon as possible. It looks so cool! This doorbell is a nice idea. I have never seen a sound brick before. It would be nice to put these sound bricks into Star Wars sets for exemple to TIE Fighters!

Great review, I really like this set. The only thing I dont like is the brick built dog. He just looks stupid.

Nice review showing all the aspects of a pretty nicely designed trio of houses. Can anybody tell me if this means the Apple Tree House will be discontinued soon? I would hate to wait and then find out it's not on the shelves anymore and has doubled in price overnight (grrrr, Beach House @!!&+}%).

Very nice review Rufus! I am glad

that the Lego group made a set with a car again.

It is a really big shock that the set has so many details and play features.

Great set, I will get it soon as I can! :sweet:

Thanks, Fuzzy. It has a lot of features, yes; personally I'd trade the car for furniture, but hey.

Excellent review! :)

And the set itself looks very promising. I had difficulty choosing my favorite build from the 3 options. This shows that they are well thought out and are not just there to fill time. Waiting for it in my local store!

Thank you, georgivar. It always amazes me that the designer can come up with three interesting and different builds.

The only stupid thing is the doorbell sound. It would be ok, if not those creppy dog sounds.

I'd rather have had a light brick than the sound thing.

The only reason which is keeping me away from this set is the colour scheme. It's good-and-classic but I'm probably already a bit overload with white walls and red roofs.

Yeah, that is a disappointment with this set, but the tan door and window frames will be useful.

I like all of these houses but have one big gripe. That opening panel on the roof of the main build just looks terrible.

What's wrong with an opening tiled roof section with 45 degree angle window parts like on the on of the alternate builds of the Apple Tree house. I'm really surprised this aspect of the design made it into production.

I don't think it's so bad, though I agree an opening roof-bricked section would have been better. BTW, I think it was the Beach house which had the 45 degree windows.

Thank you Rufus for this outstanding review default_thumbup.gif

I'm really excited about buying this myself, I just love this house

Has a nice modern feel to it and it can fit into any lego city default_classic.gif

Again great review.

Thanks! Personally, I prefer houses which look more traditional; the secondary build captures the modern feel better than the first.

Lovely review :wub:

I'm very tempted by this. I'm already two Creator houses behind though. Very, very tempting. It would look great with the Apple Tree House.

Cheers, def! I'd go for the 6754 if you can still get hold of it (they're still selling them in some TRUs in the UK) :wink:

Another excellent high-quality review Rufus! Thanks for highlighting once again a Creator set, it does make me appreciate the line more because of your in-depth reviews. :thumbup:

This house really looks good, even without much interior furnishings it does provide room for custom built furniture and additional detailing. The small blue car is a nice complementary vehicle too. Among the three builds, I still think the primary one is still the best.

Thanks Kiel!

Great review, thanks. I look forward to building it. The creator houses are one of my favorite types of Lego sets.

Thanks, Sparky (if I can call you that :blush: )

The only reason I didnt buy the Apple Tree House is because it has too many parts that are either so common I have more than I need already or that are too hard to get to be useful (the blue roof pieces for example are a lot less useful when building large roofed buildings due to the difficulty of obtaining enough whereas red is common as muck and easy to get)

Although if an Apple Tree House appeared on clearance (unlikely to happen) I might snag one :P

But this new Hillside House, that I intend to buy at least one of regardless, its just too cool.

Just as long as they dont try and remove the batteries because that can damage the sound brick beyond repair (something which may have happened to my motorbike sound brick)

Personally, I think Apple Tree is a nicer house, and I'm sure you don't want all your houses to have red roofs!

Thanks for the info about the batteries, though I wouldn't be heartbroken if mine stopped working. It's a pity they don't come with a variety of sounds.

Great review Rufus! :thumbup:

I think the same as you - that sound brick is really annoying, but it probably not going to stop me from buying this set! :grin:

Cheers, it didn't stop me! :sweet:

Excellent review Rufus. I really like that these are becoming more and more detailed. Although a little more interior detailing would be nice as well (instead of that sound brick for example :wink: ).

Absolutely! Thanks Rick :classic:

Thanks for the review 'Rufus', nice houses but AWESOME BBQ.....dam, I'm going to scratch build some of them in slightly different tones and shapes (and sizes) for an outdoor chain store.

Oh, those wheels are tuning inside my head again ! :laugh:

I'm impressed with the French doors on the first one, very nice indeed. :sweet:

The barbie is certainly proving popular!

Thanks Rufus, that was a great review! :thumbup:

I really like the CREATOR houses, I got the three latest (not counting this) and I hope TLG keep them coming. This one however doesn't really do it for me. It's mostly the colour scheme that turns me off, white and red aren't colours I'm that interested in. And overall I feel like there are too many and too bright colours in this set.

What I do like about this set is the 16x16 plates. Since TLG is putting less and less baseplates in sets nowadays (at least that's the feeling I got) it has become more common to build on normal plates. But if you want to build big it takes a lot of plates just to make a base for your build. These big plates will help a lot in this and I like that we get them in useful colours like green and grey. And I like to display my Collectible Minifigs on those 16x16 plates, one series fits good on one plate.

So, a good set, certainly for kids and others who wants basic bricks to start MOCing. But I don't think I'm going to buy it, too many other good sets are coming out soon.

Thanks, Etzel! I'm with you on the colour scheme. I think you're right about the baseplates - I guess they will disappear from Creator sets, and I don't think that's a bad thing, as it allows more versatility. You can always put the models onto a baseplate.

Thanks for the great review! The photos are excellent, with interesting commentary. The set's alright, but nothing too special. An interior would improve it. Thanks again!

Cheers, Gregorovich! You're right, it does lack the 'wow' factor of recent CREATOR houses.

Wow, this is too cool! I have to disagree about the sound brick. Oh, I do think it would be more useful if it didn't couple the doorbell sound with the dog barking, but even so, it still comes across as charming and fun to me. I'm tickled by it just playing the video.

Otherwise... "wow" at those 16 x 16 plates. I don't know if I like the idea of them moving from baseplates to regular plates for building bases or not, but I certainly do appreciate having such large plates now. I was kind of astonished when I realized there was a piece like that in the Log Cabin, and just months later we get a set with five? In two colors? Zounds!

Yeah, charming and fun for the first couple of times :wink: And yes, the big plates will be useful. 'Zounds' indeed!

This is a great review. You managed to capture and point out the best and not so good things of this set.

I am still hesistant about the lack of a baseplate. Maybe that just needs getting used too.

And I also find that in general it doesn't have the looks the previous creator houses had.

But I will get it anyway as my town needs housing and this is still a good house.

Thanks, Man. Cheap, affordable housing ON!

Nice review... I will probably get this, but until I do I know I'll be making one of those grills... I love the review's focus on it, it's one of those really cool "Easter Egg" type things when you look at it.

EDIT: BTW, the dial would probably be a thermometer... my grill has one.

I've always been a 'the hotter the better' type of barbecuer, so I have no need for such things :sadnew:

:laugh:

Did I miss the part about the sound brick? I'm curious as to what it plays?

Never mind, I see it now. That's kind of a disappointing sound effect. I was hoping for music of some sort...

Steve

I was hoping it would play 'Enter Sandman', but hey...

Wonderful review! I love the little captions and comments.

Probably a perfect set for my daughter and me.

Thank you, McBuddha! What an interesting username you have :wink:

Cool set! and an excellent review. I'm glad that TLG has decided to ad resident's to the new creator line.

I will purchase this and the lighthouse when the become available here.

Nice photos as well! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers grogall. I'd get the Lighthouse first.

That piece is older than most members here.

4490.gif

Unfortunately, not older than me. However, I noticed after writing the review that I have one or two already.

It looks like a good parts pack and a neat model, but I wish the hill-side was more of a hill-side.

Yeah, it's more of a 'Hillock House'.

That BBQ is genius! Another great review Rufus, thank you for all the time and effort you must put in to take such lovely pics.

Another Barbie lover! You're welcome, Rumble.

Wow, this set is really lacking a baseplate. It is necessary IMO. It's just not the same without one. I like the second house the best, but the set overall is not good. And that sound brick is annoying. Much like my sister's old doll house :tongue:

I'm not sure I agree that baseplates are necessary, but I do agree about the sound brick. Can't comment on your sister's doll house.

Is it a bad thing if I vote "roug, rough, rough" for the dog?

Yes! That was my lame replacement for the 'Poor' option on the poll. Unless you think the set is poor.

Thanks for another great review, Rufus. I too love the grill. I'm not so sure about the brick built dog. I'm not really a fan of brick built animals. They just don't seem proportional, esp now that minifigs are being included in the Creator sets.

The first dog is ok; the second is awful. But I like the brick-built birds that have appeared recently. And Creator is all about doing interesting and imaginitive stuff with bricks.

Darn. That would be SO much better than that stupid sound.

:laugh:

I have a couple of questions, though, regarding the canines: a) what HAS the dog done in this picture?

>snip<

It's not what you think! He just dropped a sausage.

>snip<

Who knows? :look:

Fabulous review, Rufus! I saw this while it was a WIP in the reviewer's academy, and you've done a bang up job :grin:

These creator houses never cease to appeal to me. While the generic minifigures obviously aren't a must have, I do like their inclusions in these latest creator sets. I'm most delighted about the increase in accessories and details in these new houses, they certainly make them feel like places to live instead of empty shells (I realize most of these accessories are outside of the house itself, but you catch my drift). While a steeper hill would have been more interesting, I can see the logistics in keeping the elevation change a mere brick high. And though the door bell is pretty cheesy, it's got a lot of charm.

This set was already a must have, but you've only made me crave it even more. I can't wait to see what TLC gives us next in terms of creator houses!

Cheers, Z! It's still something of an empty shell, but LEGO appear to have concentrated on the outside features for now...

Those are three really neat houses!

Yes.

I think the dog in the third model is a poodle, actually.

Anyway, I like this set but I find it's not quite as artistically-designed as some of the older Creator houses. I've built a lot of them on LDD, and I have to say I love the diversity of models that can be built with one set's pieces. The second model in this set is definitely the most outstanding of the three, with the rooftop patio and classy hot tub. The third is also creative, but not especially attractive.

Agreed, though the jury's out on the dog's species.

Anyway, the reason the minifigure is so generic is because the main reason for minifigures in Creator houses is because a lot of buyers might not have generic minifigures in their collections. From the LEGO Club website's interview:

That's interesting info. Mind if I include that in the review?

On a side note, I for one don't mind the roaring kid. He's ridiculous, but in my eyes hilariously so. The pages for those polls used to be drab and boring, but nowadays my brother and I have a good chuckle every time we see our pal the roaring kid in an instruction booklet. Of course he's not quite as fun as the "HEY!" guy from City box art, who changes with every sub-theme.

I don't mind him, I just object to seeing pictures of him in every review :laugh:

That minifig isn't generic. It's the best unlicensed approximation to Joe Vig you can make. I very much doubt that's a coincidence.

Tim

Thanks for the info, Tim!

Superb review, Rufus - many thanks ! In some ways it's particularly good to see the alternate builds as these tend to get ignored by many.

I'm becoming ever more partial to these Creator houses - I must have 6 or 7 now - and this one is another 'must buy' for me, although I agree that it's maybe not as appealing as the last few Creator houses.

Cheers Dave! I agree - my wife an I have all of them back to the 4956 House. They make a great collection.

Some really nice parts to that set- like the patio doors and the barbeque.

But-why oh why have roof tiles in bright primary red? I've never seen roofs in that colour- surely a dark red (as with the log cabin) or even dark blue would have been more suitable if not standard black?

Creator sets traditionally use primary colours, but I agree it's time for more realistic roofs.

Great review! I like the layout and all the space inside . . . still, I think the Apple Tree House (modded) is going to remain my minifigure-self's home. It just looks nicer overall, I think.

Agreed!

Great review 'Rufus'. I have anticipated on a review for this set and you nailed it! It looks great, this is definitely on my want list now :classic:

Cheers, Leg Godt Gud!

Excellent review. Still I do think minifigs are not creator's style, but... :thumbup:

I think they are there to broaden the appeal of the Creator range.

Sweet looking place and you are right that it lacks the little wow factor, maybe its the lack of rare/more realistic colours like Apple tree houses dark blue roof. Great review and you have tempted me, especially with the tan windows and dark orange tiles. :laugh:

Thanks, ISC. There's more part variety in this set than a lot of the others, and the windows will be useful. If you want dark orange tiles, PQ sets are the way forward :wink:

OMG, my daughters are gonna love the sound brick. Just as they love the sound brick from the Duplo 5604 Set.

It will drive you crazy!!

Awesome review and cute set! I must buy it as soon as possible. It looks so cool! This doorbell is a nice idea. I have never seen a sound brick before. It would be nice to put these sound bricks into Star Wars sets for exemple to TIE Fighters!

:laugh: I know this isn't what you meant, but I can't help smile at the thought of Darth's Tie Advanced going 'Ding, dong!' down the DS trench!

Great review, I really like this set. The only thing I dont like is the brick built dog. He just looks stupid.

The dog is a very minor feature, don't let that put you off!

Blimey, that's a lot of replies! :blush:

Excellent outstanding piece of Creator review! :thumbup:

I love this set so much and all 3 designs are very nicely designed. It is very likely that I will buy 3 sets as always to build the 3 different designs at one go. I did that for the yellow beach house and this will be no exception. Simply because this Creator house design offers many nice small exterior and interior details.

Thank you for sharing. I don't have much complain and love it completely. :wub:

Thank you for such a detailed review.

I liked the solar panel. It's details like this that prevent the brand from feeling dated and based just on nostalgia.