02.jpg

Back:

03.jpg

04.jpg

Top:

05.jpg

Contents:

06.jpg

Three unnumbered bags, again one of them containing the instructions and poster backed by cardboard, but this time with a Barbosa card too. The poster gives away quite a bit about what looks like the film ending, with all the Red Coats rushing in and Jack running away with his gal, leaving Barbosa and Blackbeard behind.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

010.jpg

The instructions are normal and have pics of the POTC sets at the back as well as the game advertisement.

20.jpg

21.jpg

Parts:

Another nice selection here, this time with dark green and light blues.

11.jpg

Jack's hair, and Blackbeard's hat and beard are in their own baggies.

12.jpg

Figures:

13.jpg

More great detail, all the figures have backprinting and Jack a double-sided face. The accessories are great too, nothing stickered in this set!

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

More pics of Blackbeard...

17.jpg

18.jpg

Figure spares:

19.jpg

The Fountain:

24.jpg

25.jpg

Another quite detailed build here. I like the printed shower at the top the most.

26.jpg

29.jpg

The Waterfall:

The plastic sheet itself can either stay as one sheet or split slightly to form three sections, so the figures can 'walk' through.

22.jpg

I can't really comment on this, apart from those ugly looking pillars, because I haven't seen the movie yet.

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

The other spares are a trans-light-blue stud and a dark green cheese slope.

Finished Product:

01.jpg

Ratings:

Parts: 8/10 - A good selection of quite rare parts.

Figures: 8/10 - For such an expensive set a couple of Red Coats (like in the poster) would have been better, and/or Pennelope Cruise.

Playability: 7/10 - You can probably (!) re-enact the scene here, but I wouldn't have minded another play feature or two.

Design: 8/10 - I can only comment on how it looks in LEGO and not how accurate it is to the movie, so I think it's pretty reasonable.

Price: 5/10 - Not worth it for such a small set really...

Overall: 36/50 or 72% - The price is the biggest let down here, apart from that it's a good set worth getting!

Thanks for doing the review, Jammie. Nice, clear pics. Where'd you get it?

It's nice to see some more dark green parts, though the set itself is a little simple. Like you, I haven't seen the film, so its significance is a bit lost on me.

Excellent review, Jammie! :thumbup:

I agree that the price is far too high for a set of this size. Not one I will be getting, unless I see it reduced greatly.

Blackbeard looks great. :wink:

Edited by ADHO15

I really like the trans-blue pieces of the fountain. I think I will use them to make a frozen fountain for my winter village setup this Christmas (Winter Toy Shop and Winter Village Bakery, etc).

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

I'd agree about the size of the set and the pricing. Completely agree about adding in some red coats, two in the whole theme seems a tad poor. I think this is the first set I haven't voted outstanding in the theme yet.

Thanks again for the review

Another review of a new set, fantastic. I'm jealous that you are seeing these around already.

Thank you so much for the review!

Be patient as there have been a lot of new PotC reviews done this morning, but they will all get their turn on the front page of the classic-pirates.com blog. Look for this one in the next few days.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I find the design of this set quite boring. More boring than the other sets.

But the minifigs of this set really stand out. I think Blackbeard and Barbossa are my favourite minifigs of this PotC line.

Especially Barbossa. I realized that his torso is one of the few of this line which don't have flesh colour on the torso.

That makes it also suitable for yellow minifigs, and his hat is a must-have!

I'm not sure if I will buy this set, but I really want some of the parts. Thanks for the review.

Hanks for the review [...]

tom-hanks-20040429-1683_V96.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the review 'JD', cool but expensive playset.....the Depp tax again ! :pir_laugh2:

Neat shower curtain eh ? :pir-wink:

Yep, broke I'll be this year....added to the list and keep on sailing on those high seas ! :pir-wink:

Thanks for the review and I totally agree with your final assessment. Besides the price tag, I am a little disappointed that a piece of cardboard was used to create the water fall.

I'm tempted to get this for Blackbeard! I just might have to now, he looks so good. Nice work on the review! :thumbup:

Very nice review Jammie! This is a pretty good small set in the PoTC line IMO. Three great figs and some useful trans parts, not bad at all.

Picked this set up last night and put it together tonight. Don't really feel qualified to "review" it since it's the first Lego set I've put together in over 2 decades, but personally I had a lot of fun building it.

I was able to pick it up during the TRU sale along with another for a friend so at $15 it's a better value for me. I probably would've passed at full price since the main draw of this one for me was Barbossa. However I'm really glad I have the hatless Jack as well and the skeleton is a nice touch.

I agree it's too pricey. Brickset says 125 pieces, so the US price of $20 looks like way too much, especially since Isla de la Muerta has 152 for the same price.

Seems like the design is just OK, and playability is fairly low. The real draw is the minifigs. Great look, double sided printing, really nicely done.

I'd suggest that no one buy this set, so that it goes on clearance, and we can all then pick it up for $10.

Thanks for the review! I also find this set way too expensive. The figs are good, but there are better figs in other sets. All in all I find this the weakest set in the PoTC line.

Nice review, I was tempted to review this one myself. Deffinitly my least favourite set of this line. I really only bought this for the figures which are great! Here in the UK I paid 20pounds for this set, which is far too pricey for what your getting. A uninspiring set, but great mini-figs!

Thanks guys!

Thanks for doing the review, Jammie. Nice, clear pics. Where'd you get it?

Cheers! I got it from my local TRU, and the shelves were full of them!

So glad I picked this set up, it was the new TV spot that sold me on it. It appears the climax with a sword fight between Blackbeard and Barbossa and their men will take place at the fountain, its basically the equivilant for this film that Isla De Muerta is to Black Pearl. Love the way it fits togeather and that like it's other Isla counterpart is compact and only $20. No play features though, thats a letdown, but still provides a cool set up so I'm very content. The only other set I'm planning on getting is the Queen Anne and eventually the Pearl when she's released.

"The Fountain, is that where Jack be headed?"

PICT1256.jpg

And my favorite Pirate/actor!

PICT1269-1.jpg

Good review with nice quality pictures. When I heard it was being released ages ago, I initially wanted this for Barbossa (My favorite in the films), Then I realised he's in his Privateer Outfit, So I got Isla de la Muerta with the normal one.

Worst set of the series, but the figs are nice.

I agree, this was the build disappointment of yesterday evening, but the figs are cool.