WhiteFang

REVIEW: 4181 Isla De Muerta

On a scale of 1 to 5  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Very nice review Whitefang. I think this set is one of the stronger of this new theme and I will more than likely be getting it first. Thanks for your brilliant pictures and commentary as always :pir-classic:

And of course TLC cant provide everything we would want to get.

Captain Becker

Makes no difference, they show one thing & supply a different thing is false advertising! You wouldn't be happy going & picking a brand new car, all nice & shiny with alloy wheels & when you go & pick it up, it be supplied with steel wheels & wheel trims!

This sets reminds me so mush of Megablocks.

The colors, the new molds, the whole POTC theme itself, it's just not Lego.

These movies are dark and simply not for children. I don't see the connection with Lego.

Wow that's impressive, not even the LEGO.com engineers expected you to get this set so soon (the AQ site does not exist yet).

Nothing in the box art looks like it would have made me think the gold bars were going to be chrome.

There's also nothing about the colors that are any different to what TLG have been doing for the last five years. The movies are Disney Dark... And the set looks nothing like megabloks, in order for it to be like megabloks, it would need more giant bricks with awful textures and 1 piece-minifigs .

Edited by vexorian

Lots and lots of treasure, thats one of the big reason why I like this set. The sword holders are wickedly nice. I can't wait to get them!

Thanks for the review :pir-classic:

I'm wondering if the coins are a regional thing. The pictures of the set we've seen from outside the US have had chrome gold old-school coins, and those (like me) who have it in the States have the new pearl gold coins.

Edited by punkkid364

Why no musket in this set, Jack Sparrow carries his gun the entire movie and uses it in this scene to kill Barbossa, but its not included!?!?!?!?!? :thumbdown:

Great set otherwise though, I'm buying it.

Ofcourse I am mostly and actually only interested in the Elizabeth Swann Minifig :pir-wub: . And it seem you can only get her from buying this set. A good deal if you'd ask me (since you got 3 other nice figs aswell).

Thanks 'Fangy' for the review, cool set, uncool price.....I'll be getting it when it's on sale. :pir-wink:

It's a pity about the gold bars, I hope Lego don't get into trouble for it ? :pir-wink:

On the price, instead of the Lucas Tax....it's the Depp Tax ! :pir-laugh:

Keep on sailing the high seas ! :pir-grin:

Thanks 'Fangy' for the review, cool set, uncool price.....I'll be getting it when it's on sale. :pir-wink:

It's a pity about the gold bars, I hope Lego don't get into trouble for it ? :pir-wink:

Keep on sailing the high seas ! :pir-grin:

The Depp Tax! :pir-laugh:

I'm really excited for this set. It is probably my favourite of the whole line! With two scabbards, two Barbossa's, Jack, and the only Elizabeth so far, plus a nice amount of accesories, and a boat, for $24.99 CAD, this is a pretty good deal to me. Barbossa just kicks bricks!

Cheers for sharing this great review with us WhiteFang - very concise!

I'm thinking in much the same way as you in that I'll buy this for the minifigs and accessories. The minifigs in the PotC theme are outstanding and your review really shows them in their best light. I love that Elizabeth Swam minifig; she'll make a great princess for any medieval theme.

The model itself isn't up to much but I wouldn't consider it the selling point anyway.

Thanks again! :classic:

Thanks for the review WhiteFang! I never knew the POTC sets were available in Singapore already, thanks for the tip!

Okayish set, not worth it just for Elizabeth Swann though. I'll pass.

Thanks for the great review, Whitefang! :thumbup:

This set also has some great pieces, as you've pointed out, but the highlight of this set (and indeed, this whole Pirates of the Caribbean line) for me are the mini-figs. They're just wonderful. :laugh:

Great review Fangy! I would like to get this for the figs but I think I'm going to hold out for the bay set. We'll see.

Nice review WhiteFang! I agree the minifigs are great as they are on the other PotC sets. On the other hand, if you are going to buy some of the other sets I'm not sure this one will be quite so essential (well, unless you NEED an Elizabeth Swann). That being said it is a good intro to the theme if you are not interested in shelling out big bucks for the larger sets at first.

Thank you so much for all of your kind comments for this review. The POTC theme is really incredible even though there are some disappointments and the high price factor but I don't think that will deter most of these new LEGO purchases.

The prices here in The Netherlands range between €21,95 and €26,99 I think (I ordered it for €23,79 due to discount I got by buying lots at the same time :pir-blush: ) so yes, I agree it's pretty expensive for the second smallest set. (Though 'Fountain of Youth' costs exactly the same as this one... :pir-hmpf: )

It is interesting to note that the Euro prices are quite or almost on par with SGD currency.

And of course, the minifigs are great. Should be useful for some Victorian-style minifigs, don't you think? :pir-wink:

I fully agreed with you. Not only that, it works well with the Medieval Castle era, by changing the hands to yellow. :pir_laugh2:

Great review Fangy!

Erdy, thank you for the frontpage.

Can we expect more revies of PotC theme from you?

I think it will be quite possible to see a few more reviews once the local stores is equipped with the POTC sets.

Anyway, it's [bloggedcp][/bloggedcp] -Thanks for the review!

Thank you Admiral Croissant for the CP blog!

My set also came with the new pearl gold coins that were not attached and all have 10 printed on them. At the very least the new design should have mimicked the cursed Aztec gold design from the movie. Disappointing as I like the classic pirate gold much better.

Looks like there is some bit of confusion between here and there. Mine set is clearly comes from the Europe region, while this problem seems to surface from the US region. I really wondered if this is intentional. Do you have any pictures showing this new changes?

On the first point, I detailed it a post above your post. I figure you juuuust missed it while typing. :pir-wink:Here.

on the second, yes, sadly.

Now I am really baffled. I wonder if this will be an one off problem? No backing for the instruction manual package too.

I'm wondering if the coins are a regional thing. The pictures of the set we've seen from outside the US have had chrome gold old-school coins, and those (like me) who have it in the States have the new pearl gold coins.

It appears so.

That's funny! :pir_laugh2:

The model itself isn't up to much but I wouldn't consider it the selling point anyway.

Me too. I think this whole set is merely to sell those exclusive minifigures to people like us and bundled with a couple of useful parts and accessories to entice us.

Thanks for the review WhiteFang! I never knew the POTC sets were available in Singapore already, thanks for the tip!

Nope, the POTC sets have not arrived in Singapore and it is estimated to arrive in May.

Lovely review Fangy! For a $20 set I think this is a not a bad deal at all considering you'll get 4 new figs and a bunch of new and old parts as well. It's a "4" for me too.

Great review (fangy) white fang! :pir-classic: I just thought what do you think, a Fabuland Jack Sparrow? :pir_laugh2: .....no seriously.

I will probably be getting this set soon.

In case some of you guys haven't seen yet.

Toys r us is having a bogo 50 percent off, and the POTC sets are included.

Good review.

The gold bars being pearl gold is lame, they should have been metallic gold like the 1 x 2 tiles in the bank & money transfer, Space Police etc.

Although being Perl Gold, I now have less reason to want some :)

It is very good review!!!I like it!

But,in Czech Republic we haven't got The Pirates of Caribbean... :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling:

Not that excited about this set, it seems very light on for what you pay... :pir-sceptic: ...BUT; huge drawcard - a Geoffery Rush minifig?? I have to get that! :pir_laugh2:

I'll only be using these sets for the parts, so it's a disappointment that the ingots are pearl rather than chrome. :pir-sad:

Shiny things are so... shiny!

(first time poster, long time reader)

Being a great fan of POTC and waiting a long time for these sets, I must say that I'm very disappointed regarding the pearl gold bar.

The new chrome gold bar looked fantastic and still does on the box art, on all the images from the toy fairs, and even in the printed instruction index where they are shown together with the chrome gold coins.

With Lego having record revenue, being a quality brand and a very expensive one where I live, I consider this a very bad and poor decision by some bean counter at Lego to turn up the earnings even more per set, since I expect the chrome gold to be more costly than normal parts, but then they should also have removed it from the box art. It is not normal Lego style to show parts on the box that do not fit with the real content.

In the words of Mr. Gibbs: Captain, I think the crew, meaning me as well, were expecting something a bit more shiny...

Edited by Dane

Nope, the POTC sets have not arrived in Singapore and it is estimated to arrive in May.

Oh, how did you get it then? You had my hopes up. :pir-cry_sad: Just kidding! Good sets are worth the wait. Thanks for the tip!