Sign in to follow this  
ghoulrealm

Here there be mocs

SuvieD suggested I posted my own thread when I finished the ghost ship moc. So here it is

fullport.jpg

I'll add pics and descriptions on this moc as well as others as I create them. Feel free to ask questions, request details, and use my ideas for your own mocs. That's why we're here, is it not?

anyway on with details:

ghastly_crew.jpg

This is the "gastly crew." The cabin boy, captain, first mate(I suppose he forgot he was weilding a cutlass and sliced his arm while reaching for the musket,) the helmsman, and in the background is the quartermaster and some crewhands.

aftview.jpg

aft view The unfortunate helmsman on eternal duty. *skull*

front.jpg

a better photo of the bow.

bow.jpg

forward view of sails

bow.jpg

starboard view of sails

porthull.jpg

closer port view

ghostly.jpg

I tried to photograph the glow in the dark skull and crossbones painted upon the main royal. This is what I captured. I imagine it is all you see of the ship on a moonless night.

additional photos here

Thats all for now. Let me know what you think.

Edited by ghoulrealm

Well that does look nice. Certainly something LEGO never did but should have.

The crew is a little small but seeing as the ship and crew are obviously beyond human it is probably enough. I like the helmsman best I think. Not too predictable but he looks like he fits the part.

The tissue sails give it the old and "haunted" look. The ship despite being very short has plenty of detail and a lot of sails. I would say this is a clipper of some kind.

The final question though, when can you see the ship. Does it sail endlessly on the seas, can you only see it around midnight or is it a ship that hides within the bermuda triangle?

Mr Ghoulsrealm makes his stunning debut with this rather creepy looking ghost ship!

First thing that intrigue me is the sails. Mr SuvieD seems to think they're made from tissue but in the close up picture of the bow they look to fibrous to be tissue. Is that just how the sails turned out in the picture or are they made from something other than tissue?

is really scary...hehe I wouldn't play whit it but i admit is a great and worked MOC... keep it up ;-)

There are a few areas where I comprimised stability for appearance, but playable if if youre not to rough with it.

The final question though, when can you see the ship. Does it sail endlessly on the seas, can you only see it around midnight or is it a ship that hides within the bermuda triangle?

I would say doomed to endlessly sail the seas in a noncoporial state best seen at night.

First thing that intrigue me is the sails. Mr SuvieD seems to think they're made from tissue but in the close up picture of the bow they look to fibrous to be tissue. Is that just how the sails turned out in the picture or are they made from something other than tissue?

They are made from quilt or fabric backing with tea staining. It's translucent material, far more durable than paper. The main royal sail is made from canvas.

it's a really good model. good snot work! i like the varied crew. instead of all perfect skeleton crew, you made unique traits out of each one. peg leg captain, one arm first mate, silhouette cabin boy, a ghoul quartermaster. good work!

I'm with Count Sneffy on this one - the ship looks too short for the amount of masts it has. Perhaps "too crowded" is one way of looking at it, but if you were to remove the middle sail then it probably look right. So maybe adding another middle hull piece would alleviate the problem. Of course you might not have a second hull piece so that would explain that. Or you might not want another hull piece so that would put and end to it indefinitely!

I'm with Count Sneffy on this one - the ship looks too short for the amount of masts it has. Perhaps "too crowded" is one way of looking at it, but if you were to remove the middle sail then it probably look right. So maybe adding another middle hull piece would alleviate the problem. Of course you might not have a second hull piece so that would explain that. Or you might not want another hull piece so that would put and end to it indefinitely!

I thought of that while situating the masts. the mainmast may not have enough distance to allow the foremast sails to catch wind and such. That is why the mizzen mast is angled back(one of my favorate features).

The addition of of hull is a possibillity, however I'ld need to elongate the stern and forecastle sections to keep the look I want. Maybe a rebuild with longer wider hull would keep the overall morphology and allow for ample mast spacing but alas I have no brown wide middle hull pieces.

Pirates would have valued a small multimast vessle for trust to weight ratio and ships were usually rather crowded places anyway.

i just noticed this. the first mate has a "wooden" leg too. nice use of the exoforce robot hands/claw. ;-)

I think this is really cool, it's grown on me a lot the more I look at the detail. I don't suppose the skeleton on the figurehead is part of the crew haha?

I like the way the stern looks as well, leaned back. What sets do you get the green skeleton out of?

Didn't the green skeleton originate from the Harry Potter Graveyeard Duel set? (or whatever it was actually called)

I ordered him on bricklink, but he had to have come from 4758 - Hogwarts Express or 4757 - Hogwarts Castle.

it has a unique shroud, for possible additional undead crew members. The 4766 - Graveyard duel set skeleton is green but has a black skull. It is on my wish list.

The Harry potter sets have some excellent parts for pirate mocing yet the drumastrang ship is almost useless for pirate mocs unless you like the +4 style *n*

Does this ship have a name Mr Ghoulsrealm? Maybe a story behind its origins as well? I'm always curious to know the imaginative details of MOCs!

Does this ship have a name Mr Ghoulsrealm? Maybe a story behind its origins as well? I'm always curious to know the imaginative details of MOCs!

It's based on a Revel model "Pirate Ghost Ship."

rev05433.jpg

The ship's escutcheon says "Jolly Roger", but I think that is a little clich

Mr Ghoulrealm, your knowledge of ship is impressive and you're causing me to learn! I never knew the correct name for the above device was a "windlass" nor I had I hear of "escutcheon" but quite frequently look at them. This is marvellous! Where did you gain this knowledge from?

ah... so it's probably like the Flyin' Dutchman, the famous ghost ship:

I'ld rather call it the Flyin' Ducthman than Jolly Roger :-P

Mr Ghoulrealm, your knowledge of ship is impressive and you're causing me to learn! I never knew the correct name for the above device was a "windlass" nor I had I hear of "escutcheon" but quite frequently look at them. This is marvellous! Where did you gain this knowledge from?

It's just a hobby, but I was into pirates and ships well before the pirates of the caribbean fad.

I am by no means an expert but here are a couple of reference sites I use.

on sails and natical terms

ah... so it's probably like the Flyin' Dutchman, the famous ghost ship:

I'ld rather call it the Flyin' Ducthman than Jolly Roger :-P

Interesting you should mention the ol Flyin' Dutchman due to the impending release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. I'm not sure if you laddies have seen the latest trailers but in this movie Davy Jones's ship is called the Fyling Dutchman. Personally I think that would have been a better name for the Black Pearl in the first movie because using it like this seems to screw with the mythology. In the movie that is, not this MOC!

Mr Ghoulrealm, your knowledge of ship is impressive and you're causing me to learn!

It's just a hobby, but I was into pirates and ships well before the pirates of the caribbean fad.

I am by no means an expert but here are a couple of reference sites I use.

on sails and natical terms

These websites are brilliant! For ages we've (well me and a few other users here) been looking for a website that defines different parts of a ship but we haven't found anything as comprehensive as this. These websites should be quite useful.

You've been here only a short while but you have impressed me quite a bit!

I agree that this ship should only have 2 masts, considering its length. It looks weird with these three masts mounted so close to each other. Apart from that it's a very nice MOC with a great "scary" feel.

Here are some modifications by popular demand.

2mast.jpg

2 masted version and

extra_hull.jpg

additional hull

Edited by ghoulrealm

I like the second pic, The extra hull peice is a nice improvment over your original, good job *y*