BrickPerfection

INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

One more for your index featuring the Prins Willim replica. I took these pictures only a few months before the ship burned so even though they are not all fantastic quality I found them worthwhile to share.

I've been looking forward to finally see some detailed pictures of how she looked before her utter destruction! Since rebuild is somewhat doubtful and there is a stunning Lego model of her in the making, these are extra valuable.

As CGH mentioned in his WIP thread the replica isn't entirely accurate, at least the aluminium masts are too thin.

Thank you for sharing! :pir-classic:

A little question for my understanding. Why do you not want discussion in the separate ship threads? Wouldn't that be the most ideal place to discuss a ship or ask questions about a particular ship? Some nice discussions might get going I think if people could post in the individual index threads. But maybe there a good underlying reason for doing it this way, that's why I'm asking :classic:

I have many pictures of the HMS Warrior or HMS Victory if needed as I have visited both twice. I also have pictures of the HMS Gannet (1878). Also a little correction about the HMS Victory, photos are allowed to be taken aboard the ship, just not down in the ballast area for undescribed reasons.

I have many pictures of the HMS Warrior or HMS Victory if needed as I have visited both twice. I also have pictures of the HMS Gannet (1878).

I think Gannet is a bit too modern to be useful on this forum. Pictures of HMS Warrior and HMS Victory however, are always welcome.

I already put a link to your visit in Perfectionist's HMS Victory thread.

But I leave it up to Perfectionist to decide where additional pictures can be posted.

A little question for my understanding. Why do you not want discussion in the separate ship threads? Wouldn't that be the most ideal place to discuss a ship or ask questions about a particular ship? Some nice discussions might get going I think if people could post in the individual index threads. But maybe there a good underlying reason for doing it this way, that's why I'm asking :classic:

It's so that those countless threads don't get bumped and mess up both the discussion and the forum. Also I wanted to keep it possible to add more pictures at a later point without having to reserve posts for that (picture limit of 61 per post). Actually I'm rather surprised you ask this, since keeping the forum in good order is more in your interest than in mine. :pir-tongue:

I have many pictures of the HMS Warrior or HMS Victory if needed as I have visited both twice. I also have pictures of the HMS Gannet (1878). Also a little correction about the HMS Victory, photos are allowed to be taken aboard the ship, just not down in the ballast area for undescribed reasons.

There are already many pictures of those two ships (78 of Victory and 59 of Warrior). The only area not where there are no photos of is the captain's cabin which is behind the steering wheel on the topdeck (there is a picture of the admiral's cabin though). So as long your pictures aren't showing something something spectacular that can't be seen so far there would be no point in uploading or linking to them.

And yes, HMS Gannet would indeed be too late. I felt Warrior to be the borderline since she stll sailed most of the time and used mainly muzzle-loading guns. But I might be wrong here snce there is no clear border of when the age of sail ended. The Warrior probably is just at that borderline being both a sailing ship and a steamship. :pir-blush:

And since I did visit HMS Victory in February which is probably much more recently than your last visit, you are in no position to correct me here. It was definetely forbidden to take any photographs on board, no matter whether on the topdeck or down in the hold. I took them all secretly and at one point was even close to being excluded from the further tour which is why I have only three pictures of the topdeck taken with my iphone, not my camera (I added quite a few from wiki commons though). The official argumentation of the guide was that people who take pictures would not listen to him and his safety advices. Quite egocentric indeed, but maybe a new policy. :pir-sceptic:

I think Gannet is a bit too modern to be useful on this forum. Pictures of HMS Warrior and HMS Victory however, are always welcome.

I already put a link to your visit in Perfectionist's HMS Victory thread.

But I leave it up to Perfectionist to decide where additional pictures can be posted.

Well, I had a good look on those pics and they didn't show anything not yet covered by the index, so I decided to get rid of the link. Now that you're promoted you can of course edit all of my posts, but I still feel that there's no point in having very similar pictures linked to or added to the index since it only adds confusion. It took me quite a while to sort the 2234 pictures I took and make sure that no two very similar pictures would be uploaded; and I also edited the posts a few times to make that sure. So please understand that I want to keep that order.

Pictures showing completely new aspects would however be welcome. In case they are of ships already added to the index I think we should discuss it first. :pir-classic:

I have a picture of the Prince Willem in her current state, I'm not sure if it is useful for the index as it is nothing but a wrecked hull.

I'll post the picture later today. It's here in the BL gallery when public. :pir-classic:

I would like give a challenge to build this monster of a ship the 136 gunned Heavy First Rate Spanish Ship of the line Santisima Trinidad.

mfy0cmv4rcgcooqazx5gjb5520052005114618.gif

Can we still update this thread. There's more replica ships "on the market" and much more to come.

Like one of my all time favorites that I guess could be indexed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_(galleon)

The ship was built to act in Roman Polanski's movie "Pirates", where it's seen as a spanish man of war. It's not a replica of a specific ship, but was based on authentic plans of spanish galleons from that historic period... and... well looks beautifully to me. :wub:

Lot's of pictures to see here:

https://www.google.pl/search?q=neptune+galleon&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=912&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=w_2GVLi3O5DWapfOgcgN&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ