Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

You can't convert prices from different currencies to figure out LEGO prices. It doesn't work like that. Singapore prices are extremely expensive compared to the U.S. and even Europe, whose prices are more expensive compared to the US to begin with. Those converted prices are completely incorrect.

Oops I thought they sounded weird. :pir-hmpf_bad: (I've taken them down)

Allthough the euro prices seem right. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead

Yeah, those prices sound ridiculous :pir_wacko: . I think I'd take off 33% off the US prices for them to be more accurate.

Yeah that's right. That's why I gave 2009 pirates price for reference. E.g USD49.90 set cost S$109.90. You can see that the price is roughly x2, instead of the real FX, which is 1.3 at the moment. Either TLG or the Singapore distributor is laughing to the bank right now.

Damn I love how cheap these end up being in the US! :pir-wub: It's unfortunate that they are marked up so much for other countries. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I grew up in Europe and I remember it was almost the event of the year to get a decent Lego set as a kid, because of how expensive they were. Almost makes me feel bad about buying multiples to this day...

Anyways, prices seem like what was expected, I am astonished by the piece count on the QAR, I hope it is a full ship and not just a play-set. :pir-grin:

I would really love the see full-size images of the set all of them.

But I am looking forward to seeing them.

Holy Megablocks! Those prices are ridiculous! Im not happy at all whit those prices, i might think over again when buying these sets and wait for Reviews of these sets before buying. But im still gonna get those ships if they are truly worth it.

Captain Becker

Wow looking at pictures of the Queen Anne's revenge I must say it's gonna be a true beauty as a Lego creation

pirates-4-shoots-on-queen-annes-revenge-420-75.jpg

The gallery/quarterdeck are absolutely HUGE! :pir-oh: It might be the most decorated ship ever released by Lego, and the rear of the ship will probably contain enough pearl-gold pieces to fill several vaults worth. :thumbup:

Did you guys notice that the QAR is more expensive then the Pearl?

does this mean that the Pearl won't be an 'UCS' set?

Did you guys notice that the QAR is more expensive then the Pearl?

does this mean that the Pearl won't be an 'UCS' set?

Based on the prices in S$, no matter it's too high in USD or not, the price of Black pearl

looks like the same as 6243, comparing to the price of 6243 in S$.

And I remeber there is another price list for all new PoC sets except the Black pearl.

At that time QAR's price is around 130 USD, and now it looks like the Black Pearl would be

of the same price of 6243....(100 USD?)

Well...so this means we will have a ship with more bricks,105xx bricks, than 6285(909 bricks)==>QAR, 130USD

and a ship, around 100USD, which needs more MOD to enrich its decoration===>BLACK PEARL?!

The Black Pearl has the same amount of brick as 6243.......it's no good... :pir-vader:

Pre-orders are up at Barnes and Noble. They also include a discount for pre-order'ing. Prices in USD (not including discount) are the following.

Fountain of Youth $19.99

Isla De La Muerta $19.99

Queen Anne's Revenge $119.99

The Cannibal Escape $29.99

The Captain's Cabin $11.99

The London Escape $49.99

The Mill $39.99

Whitecap Bay $79.99

Barnes and Noble pre-order

Wow looking at pictures of the Queen Anne's revenge I must say it's gonna be a true beauty as a Lego creation

The gallery/quarterdeck are absolutely HUGE! :pir-oh: It might be the most decorated ship ever released by Lego, and the rear of the ship will probably contain enough pearl-gold pieces to fill several vaults worth. :thumbup:

In terms of pieces, which is really what I look for as a MOCer (versus collector), I am hopeful it will have some great pearl gold (and dark red) parts. The ship in the movie however, looks yucky. I tend to build larger, taller sterns, but even to me this looks over the top. I know PotC is not exactly known for being historically accurate, but that ship is even a bit too cartoon-y for me, even more than the BP or the FD

About this image, I have to say I don't think they will film it from the side, far away like this photo. The stern is probably that high for shots on the deck so it looks more dramatic when the captain comes out of his cabin, for example. If they have a full-on shot of the ship, I think it would be CG or another set altogether, because that really does look ridiculous. I think this one here is the one they use to shoot on-ship scenes. The only way that stern can look good/normal is from a different perspective like looking on from the bow.

So really, I don't think the Lego set will look quite this disproportionate.

Edited by Zeya

In terms of pieces, which is really what I look for as a MOCer (versus collector), I am hopeful it will have some great pearl gold (and dark red) parts. The ship in the movie however, looks yucky. I tend to build larger, taller sterns, but even to me this looks over the top. I know PotC is not exactly known for being historically accurate, but that ship is even a bit too cartoon-y for me, even more than the BP or the FD

I'm not much of a MOCer, but those were my feelings exactly. It looks JUST like a cartoon pirate ship with that ridiculous construction at the stern. Hopefully Zeya is right.

There is a feature on the new movie in the new "Empire" magazine issue for anyone that is interested.

Pirates is something i grew up with, i'm not all that fussy about pieces or prices so pirate Lego is better then NO pirate Lego. I think the QAR looks awesome while i am a bit of a history buff i can put that aside to enjoy a movie.

Just pre-ordered all 8 sets for $334.72. They will be out in May. I can't wait to get them it looks like the pearl will be coming out later in the year.

Just pre-ordered all 8 sets for $334.72. They will be out in May. I can't wait to get them it looks like the pearl will be coming out later in the year.

Hey that's not half bad! :thumbup: :thumbup:

To be honest there really isn't all that much difference between the proportions of the QAR in the photos and the proportions of some classic Lego ships. I just hope she's crewed by a whole mob of dirty-looking pirates with accessories and clothing in colors different than the usual cheerful blue and red. This might be some of the best source of new parts and torsos for the pirates theme since the 90's! I really want to see what they do with the redcoats uniform. (I see a new army on the rise on the high Lego seas :pir-grin: )

I just hope she's crewed by a whole mob of dirty-looking pirates with accessories and clothing in colors different than the usual cheerful blue and red. This might be some of the best source of new parts and torsos for the pirates theme since the 90's! I really want to see what they do with the redcoats uniform. (I see a new army on the rise on the high Lego seas :pir-grin: )

I'm curious as to how many minifigures will have fleshy parts in their torsos. Let's hope it's not too much, I want to be able to use these parts with my yellow pirate universe! :thumbup::pir-classic:

Edited by Mr. Gray

I was wishing for an UCS Black Pearl. I want the biggest most expensive version they'll make.

Well the biggest set is the Black Pearl by the looks of things, even if it isn't UCS it will be over 120 pound odd, so that means it will be pretty detailed!

I'm pretty sure this has been said but i haven't seen all the post in this thread. But I hope to see some good wig hair pieces on the British! Also hoping for an exclusive of port royal or the HMS en devour or dauntless. Well I hope this theme stays like star wars and doesn't fall to the way side like Indy and POP and the others

I'm pretty sure this has been said but i haven't seen all the post in this thread. But I hope to see some good wig hair pieces on the British! Also hoping for an exclusive of port royal or the HMS en devour or dauntless. Well I hope this theme stays like star wars and doesn't fall to the way side like Indy and POP and the others

Me too I would like to see potc legos around for a couple years along with some bigger exclusive sets.

Edited by mobricki

Hmm, I'm not sure about it sticking around for a long time. :pir-sceptic:

Star Wars is kind of a timeless epic and it appeals on a lot of levels to a wide audience, not to mention it was the first big License Lego made sets for. There are a ton of sets but there are a lot of movies and a lot of lore to the universe that can be incorporated into sets. Some scenes are iconic and can be recognized instantaneously by fans around the world, so Lego cashes in on that.

PoTC is a great series of films, but it's audience is much narrower, and the vocabulary of locations, characters and lore is much less diverse. Don't get me wrong, I still think they can get a few waves in like they did for Indiana Jones, but I don't expect it to stick around for 10 years. :pir-classic:

My prognosis of longevity is - more than Prince of Persia and Toy Story, about the same as Indiana Jones, and much less than Star Wars. :pir-grin:

I agree with you 100%, but I've been to Dragoncon and nerd conventions and dressed up as a Kashyyyk Trooper, but my love is for pirate re-enactments and pirate festivals. I've seen 11,000 people dressed up like pirates and only hundreds of people dressed up for Star Wars at one time. Pirates is a growing series, I can't wait for them to start 5 and 6. I just hope these sets aren't silly and a quick cash-in for them.

Hmm, I'm not sure about it sticking around for a long time. :pir-sceptic:

Star Wars is kind of a timeless epic and it appeals on a lot of levels to a wide audience, not to mention it was the first big License Lego made sets for. There are a ton of sets but there are a lot of movies and a lot of lore to the universe that can be incorporated into sets. Some scenes are iconic and can be recognized instantaneously by fans around the world, so Lego cashes in on that.

PoTC is a great series of films, but it's audience is much narrower, and the vocabulary of locations, characters and lore is much less diverse. Don't get me wrong, I still think they can get a few waves in like they did for Indiana Jones, but I don't expect it to stick around for 10 years. :pir-classic:

My prognosis of longevity is - more than Prince of Persia and Toy Story, about the same as Indiana Jones, and much less than Star Wars. :pir-grin:

The problem I see with POTC as a theme is that so much of the action, at least in the first three movies, takes place aboard ships. Sure, there are a few land locations, but the big scenes that take place in those locations are already being made into sets. We can hope for Port Royal with a Governor's Mansion and everything, but it's far more likely we'll get a "Blacksmith Duel" set or something similar in an upcoming wave. But back to the problem with ships; it leads to like 5 or 6 $100+ sets. Think of all the beautiful ships that can be made, and to even get close to what they look like in the films will require massive sets. We know about QAR and the Black Pearl, and that they're the largest sets in the theme. How much more room in that upper price range is there? Room for another $100 Flying Dutchman? A $200 Endeavour or Dauntless? More than one of those? If we get a ship of the line, I'm betting we'll see ONE. The Endeavour OR the Dauntless OR the Interceptor OR the HMS Providence. They all look too similar to really justify all those sets. For me, I'd really like to see like a $60 Hai Peng (the junk that was used to go to Davy Jones' Locker in AWE,) just for variety's sake, and maybe the Jolly Mon (Jack's stolen boat from COTBP,) Or Jack's dingy from the last scene in AWE. I want the Interceptor to be priced right about $80 (like the old smaller ships LEGO used to make) so you can buy 2 or 3 to make a bigger ship. But again, every set is just going to be ships, unless TLG gets really creative with set designs in this theme really quickly.

Does anyone have any predictions for the minifigs in the Black Pearl set? How sweet would the "rescue" crew from Pirates 3 be? Jack, Barbossa, Will, Elizabeth, Pintel, Ragetti, Gibbs, Marty, Cotton, and Tia Dalma. And maybe some awesome Chinese pirates. That's a lot of figs for one set, though, and I doubt we'll see Pintel or Ragetti, or Cotton or Marty. Shame, really, they're all such great characters.

OT: Long time lurker, but being excited about this theme got me to register and post!

The problem I see with POTC as a theme is that so much of the action, at least in the first three movies, takes place aboard ships. Sure, there are a few land locations, but the big scenes that take place in those locations are already being made into sets. We can hope for Port Royal with a Governor's Mansion and everything, but it's far more likely we'll get a "Blacksmith Duel" set or something similar in an upcoming wave. But back to the problem with ships; it leads to like 5 or 6 $100+ sets. Think of all the beautiful ships that can be made, and to even get close to what they look like in the films will require massive sets. We know about QAR and the Black Pearl, and that they're the largest sets in the theme. How much more room in that upper price range is there? Room for another $100 Flying Dutchman? A $200 Endeavour or Dauntless? More than one of those? If we get a ship of the line, I'm betting we'll see ONE. The Endeavour OR the Dauntless OR the Interceptor OR the HMS Providence. They all look too similar to really justify all those sets. For me, I'd really like to see like a $60 Hai Peng (the junk that was used to go to Davy Jones' Locker in AWE,) just for variety's sake, and maybe the Jolly Mon (Jack's stolen boat from COTBP,) Or Jack's dingy from the last scene in AWE. I want the Interceptor to be priced right about $80 (like the old smaller ships LEGO used to make) so you can buy 2 or 3 to make a bigger ship. But again, every set is just going to be ships, unless TLG gets really creative with set designs in this theme really quickly.

Does anyone have any predictions for the minifigs in the Black Pearl set? How sweet would the "rescue" crew from Pirates 3 be? Jack, Barbossa, Will, Elizabeth, Pintel, Ragetti, Gibbs, Marty, Cotton, and Tia Dalma. And maybe some awesome Chinese pirates. That's a lot of figs for one set, though, and I doubt we'll see Pintel or Ragetti, or Cotton or Marty. Shame, really, they're all such great characters.

OT: Long time lurker, but being excited about this theme got me to register and post!

Yes, I would really love figs of Marty and Pintel, I met them at dragon con and hung out with them a little that weekend in September. It just wouldn't do them justice if we don't get figs of them.

I wonder if we might get some sets based on the Disney rides as well as sets from the movies...there are all kinds of scenes from the ride that would make great small LEGO sets, and even the larger set pieces like the pirate ship are of a small enough scale that they could be done effectively at a lower price point than the film vessels.

TC