Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I'm looking at the 'fairytale and historical figures' minifig set, and the wizard seems to have a giant bottle piece that I haven't seen before. Could this be the bottle from the 'ship in a bottle' Jack Sparrow has to steal from the captain's cabin?

Looks to me like it's a 1x1 round plate attached to a 1x1 cone piece on top of a large 2x2x2 transparent dome piece. The measurements on the last piece are probably incorrect, I'll look it up later.

But I don't know, if it is a combo, could they use that same technique to make the ship in a bottle?

I am a little mixed on the new upcoming POTC sets but I am holding my breathe until we see the official images. Hope to give this theme a chance.

I feel the same way Fangy.

While I don't love the way the sets are looking from the prelims, I'm certainly going to wait until the final pictures are released to judge them. I am a bit scared that the prices will be way too high for the end product.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :pir-classic:

Can anyone make out what the figures are armed with? Are they the classic prate sabers or are they the new rapier piece that the musketeer in S4 comes with?

Looks to me like it's a 1x1 round plate attached to a 1x1 cone piece on top of a large 2x2x2 transparent dome piece. The measurements on the last piece are probably incorrect, I'll look it up later.

Oh yeah... I can see that now.

Bonaparte, how do you come to the conclusion that we're getting the wig piece? It isn't in anything we've seen, and we know almost nothing about the POTC IV sets.

Oh yeah... I can see that now.

Bonaparte, how do you come to the conclusion that we're getting the wig piece? It isn't in anything we've seen, and we know almost nothing about the POTC IV sets.

Look very closely at the cannibal escape set picture.

I think that these sets look awsome so far. I wonder how the ships will look though 100 euros seems a little cheap to me for a big pirate ship like the Queen Anne's Revenge. I hope that I am wrong but, I really wonder if it is going to be another Brick Beard's Bounty. :pir-cry_sad:

Look very closely at the cannibal escape set picture.

The guy escaping from the bone cage? I couldn't make out the hairpiece, but I didn't think it was a wig since no one in the bone cages in the movie wore a wig.

The guy escaping from the bone cage? I couldn't make out the hairpiece, but I didn't think it was a wig since no one in the bone cages in the movie wore a wig.

I haven't seen the movie, so you might be right. But judging from the pic it looks like a wig to me. A lot depends on that little thingy at the back of the 'wig' being a tail or not. If it's something else (light in the background or a part of the cage) then the wig theory might not be so solid.

The figure escaping the cage most likely is Joshamee Gibbs so take a look at his hair. The hairpiece on the minifigure is grey with a small ponytail at the back just like his. So it is close to a periwig but not exactly the same.

post-5349-129353491201.png

Edited by michaelozzie

Just my opinion, but why does rapier keep coming up? It is not a nautical sword and pirates sure as heck did not use them, they're too long and too fragile. Naval officers used sabre's, not cutlasses like pirates did. I will be upset if there are rapiers in the sets, unless it is used by a 16th century ghost conquistador.

Just my opinion, but why does rapier keep coming up? It is not a nautical sword and pirates sure as heck did not use them, they're too long and too fragile. Naval officers used sabre's, not cutlasses like pirates did. I will be upset if there are rapiers in the sets, unless it is used by a 16th century ghost conquistador.

The reason is, if you've seen the movies they don't use sabers, in fact they use rapiers for all the sword fights.

Check it out:

pirates_caribbean_johnny_depp_orlando_bloom_sword_fencing.jpg

The reason is, if you've seen the movies they don't use sabers, in fact they use rapiers for all the sword fights.

Check it out:

pirates_caribbean_johnny_depp_orlando_bloom_sword_fencing.jpg

Nope, that's a cutlass, sorry to dissapoint you.

Oh, and I watched the movie again to be shure.

cheers!

Nope, that's a cutlass, sorry to dissapoint you.

Oh, and I watched the movie again to be shure.

cheers!

Granted that is the technical name for it, but the ones they use in the movie are a much slimmer variant than the classic Lego pirates sword. I assumed that because they are making a whole new theme based on a Disney license like in the case of Prince of Persia, they would include new molds for some of the weapons, accessories and clothing items. Hence, having a slimmer sword, be it cutlass or rapier is entirely possible, and you'd have to agree with me that it is within the realm of possibilies as the prelims are, well, just that. To me those classic cutlasses look to bulky for the licenced sets, but only time will tell.

Cheers

Hmmm.. so far im not sure about these sets, they look a bit on the basic side to me, but then again I suppose most lines are like that. I will still probably buy them or a few of a certain set depending on the parts. It all comes down to parts for me, as I never use lego sets as they are as the've already been designed by someone else and I like to build my own. These arn't the finished articals however, so I wont judge yet, I just hope the bigger sets in this theme have some nice new parts that will really add something to pirate mocing!

And...I really hope lego bring back the original pirate stern piece in dark brown!!!! The new bow/stern piece just isn't as good. Enough moaning, im just happy we are still getting pirates in one shape or form!

Hmmm.. so far im not sure about these sets, they look a bit on the basic side to me, but then again I suppose most lines are like that.

I am going to have to disagree with Derfel for now. As you indicated and like me, what you really care about are the pieces, and I think there is some promise there if you take a good look.

I think I had a similar reaction to the castle pictures that are also out, the sets aren't that impressive, but the parts are (buckets, new weapons, new animals and peasants!) and I think you will feel more like that when we get better pics of the pirate sets!

But just to get your ol' brain working, here is what I noticed about the blurry pirates sets already...

Though I am not particularly impressed with the blurry photos of the waterwheel set, I also noticed not even the figures on the prelim photos are final. The ones on the package break-outs don't match the ones in the photos, so there are undoubtedly going to be changes.

The cannibal set, however, appears to have a cage made of bones that I am guessing is going to use some (though probably not most) of the new bones from the Ninjago sets. The islander like minifigs will be great for MOCing (including the little bones in their hairpieces) and there appears to be dark tan, reddish brown and maybe even some burnt orange parts in the set. Those are great pirate-y colors for MOCing, which we all know is your forte!

The Isla De la Muerta set contains four figures (which will be the highlight for sure) with a couple of large hats and other odd accessories... does the skelly (and regular) figure of Barbossa have a dark tan or dark orange bag (or holster?!?) slung over his shoulder? And the flesh versions appears to have a beard, (which hopefully will be a new mold, can't tell for sure right now) and a female dress and hairpiece. There will also be some treasure which appear to be both multiple 1 x 1 plates (and we all know how you feel about those) and some gold coins as well. I also notice the oars on the boat appear to be a different color then the boat itself, which again, makes me think we are getting burnt/dark orange or some other color prominently featured in these sets that will be great addition to your/our MOCs.

Of the three sets we've seen, I think there is some promise for two of them already (depending on price point) and the images aren't even final!

Edited by ZCerberus

I'm very excited by these pictures it looks like we are getting a lot more pirate accessories soon. :jollyroger:

C'mon guys the only pics we have seen are rather small and doesn't really give us a clear indication of what the sets will be.

I wish the guy could of taken a photo of each set by themselves, but its better then nothing i guess.

SO, can we sortof assume there will be multiple versions of jack? Seeing as on one of the boxes(the mill) we see image of jack, while on the other boxes it shows the temporary pirate.

As for the Black pearl coming later wich minifigures do you want. The imperial flagship had 9 minifigures and diagon alley will have 11 so can we expect soemthing like that for this aswell?

I want: Jack(hat and coat) Ragetti, Pintel, Marty, Gibbs, Will(movie 1 or 3outfit), Elisabeth, Barbossa, Cotton(+parrot)

Don't get me wrong Z, I am looking forward to these sets, I think I just had very high expectations for this line, and when I first looked at that mill set I was kind of dissappointed. But like you said, there are some good parts on show and I'm hoping the bigger sets will have a good selection. It can't be too long till some pics of the larger sets in this line show up. I have seen the list which mentions the QAR, but I see people talking about a Black pearl as well, but I didn't know thy had been confirmed. We will all have to wait till we get the final high res official pics of the sets, then we can see what we are really getting.