Sign in to follow this  
sxavalentine

I have some questions about getting into Pirate LEGO

Hi...this is my first post. I'm an italian boy 22 years old (i'm sorry if my english is not very good).

When i was a child my father bought me a lot of sets lego. Maybe he was more child than me :pir_laugh2:

Anyway our favourites themes was PIRATES (but i have also a lot of sets CASTLE)

My small pirates collection is:

SHIPWRECK ISLAND 6260

ROCK ISLAND REFUGE 6273

RENEGADE'S RAFT 6324

ISLANDER CATAMARAN 6256

HARBOR SENTRY 6245

BROADSIDE'S BRIG 6259

When i was child my dream was the Black Seas Barracuda: i looked it in the catalogue for hours. I asked it to my father as present for my sixth birthday, but unfortunately, he didn't find it in any toys center, so bought my the rock island refuge. But a dream is a dream, so recently i bought a BSB for 100€ and i felt in love with lego again :pir-wub: .

I saw some MOC's pictures (somes are really masterpieces, specially http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=435230&n=0 ) in this forum and i'd like start my carreer of AFOL. So, i have some question:

1) it's an expensive hobby? (I think is it, so how much do you spend for ?)

2) wich are the PIRATES sets that are a MUST HAVE and in wich quantity?

3) I'm thinking to buy an enchanted island for 45€, i loved it and islanders theme in general, it's a good price, right?

4) Single pieces: which are the most important to have and in wich quantity and colours? I'm interested especially in settlements construction (fortresses, ports, refuges, island)

5) I tried to download LDD, but unfortunately my PC must be too old, so it doesn't run good...there is another program of LEGO design with lower hardware requisites?

Now, i think it's enough...if i'll have other questions i'll add them in the future.

Thanks to everybody will answer and sorry if i wrote in a wrong section :pir_laugh2:

Welcome to Eurobricks, and into AFOLdom!

Getting started out as an AFOL can be a high-intensity process, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. That depends. I tend to spend about £15 a month on Lego, which isn't much - but some people will spend thousands. But then again, I tend to build stuff, rather than collect stuff.

2. I think you pretty much cover it with the BSB and Enchanted Island. You could try picking up some smaller pirate sets from the recent line, such as Cannon Battle, as they're cheap and nicely detailed. There's a Pirates of the Caribbean line coming out soon, so that might be a good starting point for expanding your collection.

3. Yes, that seems a reasonable price. I bought mine for £20, but that was after a lot of waiting on eBay for the best price - they tend to average a bit higher than that. But it is an excellent set, generally worth more than it is sold for.

4. Light and dark grey bricks (1x2, 1x4, 2x4). Blue plates. Tan plates. Green plates. Dark and light grey plates or tiles. Brown tiles. Brown 1x1 and 2x2 round bricks. Cheese slopes (1x1 slopes) in any colour, in large quantities. That about summarises the parts I use most - there's a link in my signature to my MOCs, which more or less are similar to what you described. I tend to buy what parts I need per MOC, rather than stockpiling bricks. www.bricklink.com is excellent for buying individual parts; it's a bit confusing to use, but once you get the knack, it's an invaluable resource.

5. MLCAD is an unofficial design program. It's harder to use, but more expansive - and in your case, uses less memory (I think!). From a personal view, I would recommend just building with Lego in real life first, rather than doing it digitally. Just my two cents, though :wink:

Hope that helps! :classic:

Welcome, quite a classic collection you have (wish I could say the same)

anyways you want ships at least one or two. However you could buy a few hull pieces of Bricklink or Ebay and create your own ship. So for a ship your most important pieces are the hull pieces, lots of windows, an anchor or two, ships wheel, ships cat, masts and some cloth if you want to make your own sails.

A good bet is looking throught the fantastic pirate MOCs forum to get inspired.

:jollyroger:

Ahoy!!!, welcome to eurobricks!!!

it's great when you rediscover the love of legos :thumbup:

you have a lot of issues here... haha :pir-grin:

1) it's an expensive hobby?

well, it depends on you, if you are a fan or an addict...

there is no answer here... check out here, to see the full pirates collection... wich you MUST HAVE and in wich quantity, well depends on you

3) I'm thinking to buy an enchanted island for 45€, i loved it and islanders theme in general, it's a good price, right?

prices, check it out on ebay well be fine, but a certain great lego black market should be this

4) Single pieces: which are the most important to have and in wich quantity and colours? I'm interested especially in settlements construction (fortresses, ports, refuges, island)

again, bricklink or lego pick a brick are great places to acquire single pieces, the exactly piece, quantity and color depends of what you want to do

5) I tried to download LDD, but unfortunately my PC must be too old, so it doesn't run good...there is another program of LEGO design with lower hardware requisites?

mmm LDD should work, you should check this forum, I had a lot of troubles with LDDv4, but I fixed it out

hope thats help!!!

Are you planning on MOCing or Collecting, if collecting, then all pirate sets, if MOCing then combine the castles with the pirates and yes this hobby is expensive and your english is fine.

As a fellow "commeback-er", I have a question to ask - my lego pieces were for over 10 years stored, unfortunately in dusty place, is there a way to clean the sails etc?

As a fellow "commeback-er", I have a question to ask - my lego pieces were for over 10 years stored, unfortunately in dusty place, is there a way to clean the sails etc?

Perhaps this can help you.

Welcome to Eurobricks and to the addictive world of Lego!

1) it's an expensive hobby? (I think is it, so how much do you spend for ?)

Well I started out collecting again 2 years ago. My wife is complaining about the low budget for clothes, because of my new addiction. I can't really decide which theme to buy, so I just bought most themes.

Pirates isn't really my favorite theme, but the larger ships I would buy and last but not least, did you see the first pictures of the Pirates of the Carabean sets??? That's what I am going to buy for certain.

Sounds very reasonable.

I just want to wish you good luck and lot's of Leg Got time.

Regards,

Narbilu

I would definitely say if you are gtetting into pirates then get the imperial flagship and then maybe the new imperial fort. The flagship is a bit pricey at $180 but I would say its definitely wortha look. It's one of my favorite sets ever!