MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

7 hours build time? dude

Possibly 8, I didn't really record time. Let's see, 3 hours Wednesday and 2 x 2,5 hours yesterday, so 8 hours will be more likely.

The numbered bags decrease the build time a bit.

Or did you think it would take less time?

Edited by Gekke Ted

I don't know, it just sounds like forever.

Over 2000 parts, so it takes some time default_laugh_new.gif

The chassis alone takes the better part of it. The Mobile Crane with around 1800 parts also took me about 7 hours. So 8 hours for 2000+ parts is not strange.

250 parts per hour seems to be my building speed default_satisfied.gif

Edited by Gekke Ted

Over 2000 parts, so it takes some time default_laugh_new.gif

The chassis alone takes quite some time. The Mobile Crane with around 1800 parts also took me about 7 hours. So 8 hours for 2000+ parts is not strange.

250 parts per hour seems to be my building speed default_satisfied.gif

This fits well with my building speed for the UCS Millenium falcon. It's 5000+ parts and took me about 15 hours, including a dinner and some food later on... So i would expect about 6 to 8 hours for 8110.

-ED-

A dutch shop in Ede has them for 160, they sold 8 on the day they had and will have new ones in stock monday.

- Sok.

I have a question for those who already own the model, preferably with the pnumatic patch. Here goes:

What safeguards are present to prevent the compressor from inducing too much pressure into the system and straining the motor?

In short, what happens when you run the compressor too long without doing anything? Is there a white clutch gear that kicks in, or some sort of safety valve that bleeds excess air? Or does the motor simply become strained and start grinding gears and such?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Daniel.

I have a question for those who already own the model, preferably with the pnumatic patch. Here goes:

What safeguards are present to prevent the compressor from inducing too much pressure into the system and straining the motor?

In short, what happens when you run the compressor too long without doing anything? Is there a white clutch gear that kicks in, or some sort of safety valve that bleeds excess air? Or does the motor simply become strained and start grinding gears and such?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Daniel.

There doesn't seem to be a safety. When I first started the compressor, I forgot to switch the PPTO (or what's it called). Then I heared the comprosser ticking/clicking. I am not really sure what was happening, but it didn't sound right. After switching the PPTO, everything ran smoothly. But when stop operating the crane, the compressor starts ticking/clicking. There is no white clutch gear, that's for sure. Maybe I am missing something, but my opinion is that there's no safety.

Edited by Gekke Ted

You didn't have that bulldozer or excavator feeling ay? Is that the feeling of all PF and no substance or realism? THIS THINGS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER :grin:

And no, it's not against forum policy official or otherwise to post negative view points. It is certainly ok to post your honest opinions about a set here (I can personally vouch for that I think!) and I would not have it any other way. I wanna hear the good and the bad.

Edited by allanp

There doesn't seem to be a safety. When I first started the compressor, I forgot to switch the PPTO (or what's it called). Then I heared the comprosser ticking/clicking. I am not really sure what was happening, but it didn't sound right. After switching the PPTO, everything ran smoothly. But when stop operating the crane, the compressor starts ticking/clicking. There is no white clutch gear, that's for sure. Maybe I am missing something, but my opinion is that there's no safety.

That doesn't sound too good. But maybe the ticking noise IS the safety valve, although I'm doubtful. But then again, when you over-turn an LA, I makes a sound that seems like it's turning to powder inside, but it's just the internal clucth. I guess I'll have to mess around and see when I get it on Tuesday from the Lego store.

I think what Gekke Ted may mean is that it's not as impressive and complex as the two previous flagships. I get the feeling that the designer of last years excavator spent more time banging his head against the wall than the designer of the unimog, despite it being nearly twice as big. And I agree. As a piece of 'engineering', I think the excavator is more impressive.

Overall though,I think the unimog looks like a very good set. Well built suspension and the combination between pneumatics and PF is very welcome.

Personally I think I will skip this set. Ironically the very popular color scheme is part of the reason. For MOCing a few different orange pieces isn't really that attractive. If TLC decides to implement it into the future technic sets it would be a different case, but I doubt they do. Gray panels aren't as interesting as black panels either. Then I am the type that disassemble all sets the day after I've built them, so my vote isn't really applicable :grin:

Edited by Pauger

I think what Gekke Ted may mean is that it's not as impressive and complex as the two previous flagships. I get the feeling that the designer of last years excavator spent more time banging his head against the wall than the designer of the unimog, despite it being nearly twice as big. And I agree. As a piece of 'engineering', I think the excavator is more impressive.

Impressive is the correct word. The gear system, despite the problems it had, is a piece of art and reminded me of the 8480 space shuttle.

- Sok.

The 8110 Unimog U400 is now available in the UK. :classic: It is in the new Argos catalogue at the price of £159.99 and the catalogue number for it is 388/9510. As of now you cannot access the Argos website because they are updating it, so I cannot provide a link to it on their website at the moment.

~buddy~

I couldnt find it available at any store within a 2hour drive from me online. so have orderd it into store to pick up tuesday. Was looking forward to building it today aswell

It's still not listed at the Lego.com technic products page, or at shop@home under both the US and UK regions. It's not on amazon.com either, which is our rough equivilent of Argos here in the states.

I sure hope it is available by Monday in the Lego Store, or else I'll just have to walk away with the 8043. (I was planning on getting both.).

Fingers are crossed!

Edited by frontier74

I've just been out and bought my 8110 from Argos!

I'd gone in to get the Supercar, cos I was bored, but saw the new catalogue and that the flatbed was in it, they had that in stock and the Mog came up as an alternative, so I checked that was in stock and BINGO!

Pleased as punch :laugh:

I've just been out and bought my 8110 from Argos!

I'd gone in to get the Supercar, cos I was bored, but saw the new catalogue and that the flatbed was in it, they had that in stock and the Mog came up as an alternative, so I checked that was in stock and BINGO!

Pleased as punch :laugh:

Tell me more ! i had mine from argos and picking it up tomorrow ! :)

Wheels are big. Box is heavy. All five sets of instructions go up to 60-odd.

There are some interesting new bits too. Really looking forward to cracing on with building it now :laugh:

i am currently working on it and i love the tires but not the turning circle

btw. all guys in germany, look at the supermarket Globus. this morning i could bought one of the 8110 (189,99€). the 8109 is available too

Wheels are big. Box is heavy. All five sets of instructions go up to 60-odd.

There are some interesting new bits too. Really looking forward to cracing on with building it now :laugh:

what argos did you go , i have ordered it in for tomorrow ! :)

what argos did you go , i have ordered it in for tomorrow ! :)

Stafford Extra. Looks like it's one per store too, so make sure you reserve before collection!

Stafford Extra. Looks like it's one per store too, so make sure you reserve before collection!

I got the Argos heads-up this afternoon at 4pm from reading this thread...

None in my local stores, but managed to find one in Leeds Headrow store. reserved, then drove out to get it, so had it by 5pm today. I did wonder if i'd just got the only one in the store?

it's ace, got some great ideas for the new parts, now i've finally seen them.

I started and finished the cab, section/bags no.2 so I could finish part of it before we went out for the night and rest of weekend.

I finally registered and joined here, after reading anonymously for 8 months+, picking up lego again after some 22 years. Prompted by becoming a father and buying *lots* of Duplo for my daughter. Of course the Unimog is for her, when she's old enough ;-)