Sign in to follow this  
Hoexbroe

MOC: Cutty Sark

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi all,

Allow me to present my latest MOC; The famous clipper Cutty Sark in minifig-scale prepared specifically for the Hispabrick 2010 LEGO-fan reunion in Terrassa (Barcelona).

5241096131_0a8d907d83_b.jpg

The MOC is 163cm long and 97cm tall.

The scale is 1:50 (minifig-scale).

The techniques used here are similar to the ones used to make the ocean-explorer Calypso; Curved hull and bottom made of slopes. Decks mounted sideways.

5241694462_cebb982c04.jpg5241739060_71f70888b8.jpg

5241692576_61819ddb28.jpg5241694912_8ec4a3c304.jpg

5241097113_5690283020.jpg5241097973_cd78c06e6b.jpg

5241096625_8b26fcfa19_b.jpg

5241099003_eecedd2f11.jpg5241693552_5497185efa.jpg

Credit; Idea of using technic pins at ratlines anchorage is from Captain Green Hair.

img_0693moc.jpg

Me, showing off the MOC to fellow FOLĀ“s at Hispabrick 2010 in Barcelona.

I hope you like it. Comments welcome!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

EPIC :wub:. This is an excellent model that you should be proud of. There is so much detail I cannot believe it. It is spot on (or from what I remeber last time I went to see it). Fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: (sorry for the over the top emotions, but I just love it).

Thanks, CB

This will certainly be frontpaged. Huge, and wonderfully done. Jampacked with details and colors. I really enjoy that the hull is flat for a while in the front before expanding outwards, it's a great look and really looks functional. The sails are also awesome!

The moment I saw this one word quickly came out of my mind: Frontpage-worthy. Just a magnificent creation Hoexbro! I just love the smooth built of the ship body, and the astounding amount of details are something to be amazed with. default_thumbup.gifdefault_thumbup.gifdefault_thumbup.gif

Let me be honest, I read the topic title as "Cutty Shark" and was expecting a MOC of some knife-shark hybrid animal. :grin:

But what I see before me is much better. A magnificent vessel indeed, with very busy looking rigging which gives that feeling of realism. A very grand and splendid look to it! Congratulations on building such a fine MOC. :thumbup:

AWESOME ship :grin: , but you could have posted this in the pirate's forum as it's do with the age of sail.

It's beautiful, clean......ow, man the best sailing ship I have scene yet !

Excellent work 'Hoexbroe' and keep on sailing ! :sweet:

So many wonderful builds on this website that i dont find time to reply as often as i would wish to. This one forced me to post though!

Looks absolutely amazing.

How does it look under full sail? (assuming the sails can be unfurled)

@all; Thanks for the words! :classic:

@Zepher + KielDaMan; Cool! Who do I have to kill to achieve thatĀæ? :laugh:

@lightningtiger; If itĀ“s in the wrong category, I hope a moderator will move it. Anyway the ship is not a pirate- or war-ship. The most glorious thing it ever did was haul tea and wool.

@carnybaby; Sails cant be unfurled, sorry. It looks wonderfull with full sails and the wind in the back, but that cant really be recreated on a static display. (I dont like the dull hanging sails you see on some models...)

Edited by Hoexbroe

Awesome! :thumbup:

This is certainly the best Lego clipper I've ever seen! (actually I haven't seen many at all, but this one is perfect anyway).

Every detail is just exactly like on the real ship, and I really like the SNOT decks, the winches and all the deck houses.

Maybe it's also an idea to give the figurehead some mop of hair, like on the real one, but I don't know how.

Anyway, it's a masterpiece, great job.

Stunning MOC! The size and level of detail of it are amazing. I particularly like the smoothness of it, I like the use of tiles and SNOT. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Wow, this is stunning. Everytime I take another look, I see something I hadn't noticed before. Like the gold accents on the bow, and the lanterns midship. The hull is beautiful too.

Any estimates on number of pieces used?

Any estimates on number of pieces used?

Thanks!

Well, this one is less piece-intensive than the paddle-steamer, but still I think it runs close to 10000 pieces. ItĀ“s just an guestimate, -and IĀ“m not very good at it ;-)

I am very impressed with this vessel. :thumbup:

It looks very clean, complete, and looks great.

I only have a couple of minor suggestions to improve upon this moc about the railing and the red studs shown near the water line.

ibinsnur recently posted another ship, the Smit Rotterdam, where 3mm rubber hoses were used instead of the white 3mm bars and flag polls that you used. A railing style similar to this may look a little better.

bp24r3lxysvmhp4wy.jpg

For the row of studs along the waterline, did you try using 1x3 and 1x4 curved, sloped bricks to see if the hull would look better? Here are pics of the sloped bricks:

50950.jpg61678.jpg

These are just suggestions. The MOC looks awesome the way it is right now.

Do you a picture available of the actual Cutty Sark?

Does this vessel have an interior?

I am very impressed with this vessel. :thumbup:

It looks very clean, complete, and looks great.

ibinsnur recently posted another ship, the Smit Rotterdam, where 3mm rubber hoses were used instead of the white 3mm bars and flag polls that you used. A railing style similar to this may look a little better.

For the row of studs along the waterline, did you try using 1x3 and 1x4 curved, sloped bricks to see if the hull would look better? Here are pics of the sloped bricks:

Do you a picture available of the actual Cutty Sark?

Does this vessel have an interior?

Thanks for your words and suggestions!

Railings with hoses would look out of place on this old sailingship. Actually I quite LIKE the use of flagpoles here.

Slopes of 3 and 4 are already used in the red hull part, near the middle. In either way, lots of improvement of the hull-technique is still possible. I have yet to see somebody else use this method. IĀ“m trying to improve it on every new MOC.

You must google the net for pictures of Cutty Sark. I can tell you that there are thousands. (After all, itĀ“s one of the most famous ships in the world...)

Unfortunatly this MOC does not have an interior.

I wonder why I haven't commented on this model yet, it is really beautiful! :thumbup:

I agree with you about the railings, they are fine as they are.

Phred's suggestion to use curved slopes on the hull is a good one IMO.

Lastly I'd like it better if the white stripe on the side of the hull was sticking out half a stud, instead of a whole stud.

The use of pins on the rigging may have been done before, I'm not going to claim that as mine, but thanks anyway! :classic: