Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter One

I would like to scan the cafe and exterior of the hotel for anything that would help retrieve Ralph -- rope, ladder...

Ralph, can you see stairs from where you are?

I'd like to assess whether a man of my age could get down their without any/little difficulty.

I would also like to know what furniture is in the room.

Patrick realizes that he could help Ralph. Furniture in the room was described already.

I'd like to pick up the briefcase.

Oh, Ralph. :hmpf:

Officer Fields gathers the briefcase.

While I am waiting for assistance, I would like to scan the basement and see what is in it and what it looks like.

Ralph looks around the basement. There's boxes and other hotel/restaurant supplies.

I would like to throw some chairs down in the basement, taking care not to hit Ralph, so that he can climb back up when he feels like it.

I would like to scan the cafe and exterior of the hotel for anything that would help retrieve Ralph -- rope, ladder...

Ralph, can you see stairs from where you are?

Alan sees a ladder inside the cafe

I would like to use the ladder to reach Ralph in the basement and help him get back up. While down there, could I have a look at the content of the boxes?

Hmm... I wonder if they took him down to the water with wet footprints.

I would like to walk to where I could view the seaport and look carefully for any sign of swimming/boating activity.

Then I would like to carefully open the door and walk inside.

I would like to see which ways we can go upstairs, if there are any phones, and if the ways to go upstairs look safe.

I'd like to open the briefcase and examine its contents.

My arms begin to feel better, and I am well enough to stand. I see the ladder being lowered, but I would like to look inside most of the boxes before I climb up.

For goodness sake, no need to jump down the first hole you see man, the commies aren't going to bite with all of us out here. :hmpf:

Alright, which one of you commies ran off with the congressman? Let's have a head count please, I want to know where every one is, right now.

Matt looks around and counts who is present and who may be missing from the group. Opening up a notebook, he begins scribbling furiously while trying to protect it from the rain.

Weather like this is not favourable to investigations of this nature at all...

Alright Tim, once you've got that briefcase open let's see what's in it, it could give us some hint as to why he disappeared so quickly. I would also suggest one of you lot has a look at that fountain, since the footsteps appear to have come from there. If this storm gets any worse we won't be able to make much progress out here, so we better be quick about it.

By the way, Dieter, save me some of those sausages for later, those were delicious!

Once you're finished Ralph, please let me treat to your arm, its probably only bruised but still, I have some first aid kit in my bag.

While Ralph is climbing up, before I treat his arm I would like to look at the footsteps, and follow them a little while, but not too far as of yet. When I pass it I would also like to look at the fountain.

I would like to use the ladder to reach Ralph in the basement and help him get back up. While down there, could I have a look at the content of the boxes?

Patrick and Alan lower a ladder to help get Ralph up from the basement. Alan then goes down the ladder to aid Ralph up, but while down there he looks around the crates. A few of the crates are from his farm. Alan notices something shiny near the door to the basement.

I would like to walk to where I could view the seaport and look carefully for any sign of swimming/boating activity.

I would like to see which ways we can go upstairs, if there are any phones, and if the ways to go upstairs look safe.

As Officer Harrison is walking towards the seaport, the storm begins to intensify, and the waves become rough as they hit the seawall. Because of this, it is impossible to investigate boating activity. Officer Harrison then looks at the door to the upstairs, it is locked.

I'd like to open the briefcase and examine its contents.

Officer Fields opens the briefcase. It belongs to the Congressman. Inside are a few important papers about taxes, his schedule planner, a small calender, and one roundtrip train ticket to Washington, D.C., scheduled for next week. It appears that the briefcase was dropped as the Congressman went missing.

My arms begin to feel better, and I am well enough to stand. I see the ladder being lowered, but I would like to look inside most of the boxes before I climb up.

Ralph looks inside a few of the boxes, but finds only a few hotel and restaruant supplies. There appears to be something shiny nearby the door of the basement.

I would also like to look around to see if anyone else, besides the congressman, has disappeared.

Patrick, after letting down the ladder, looks around. Everyone else is present, and on edge.

Matt looks around and counts who is present and who may be missing from the group. Opening up a notebook, he begins scribbling furiously while trying to protect it from the rain.

Once again, only the Congressman has gone missing.

While Ralph is climbing up, before I treat his arm I would like to look at the footsteps, and follow them a little while, but not too far as of yet. When I pass it I would also like to look at the fountain.

The footsteps have been washed away due to the storm. Julie examines the fountain. There's a statue of a Revolutionary Hero in the fountain, but there doesn't seem to be anything suspicious about the fountain. Closer inspection reveals nothing has been misplaced around the fountain, and the water doesn't seem to be from the fountain. Julie then returns to the Hotel to treat Ralph, who still hasn't climbed out of the basement.

As thunder becomes louder and louder, and the storm intensifies, it would be wise to get inside. Perhaps inspecting a few of the boxes or items around the entrance to the Hotel would yield a result?

I would like to examine the shiny object, and if it isn't dangerous, pick it up and carry it with me as I climb up the ladder to be treated. After treatment, I would like to show the object to everyone else.

I'd like to read the tax papers, and with my knowledge of the law determine if anything looks out of place. Then I'd like to look at the Congressman's calendar and planner to see what he has planned in the near future.

Huh? A warrant? Well it looks like a lack of a warrant isn't stopping you folks from breaking into buildings and opening up a congressman's breifcase, so checking his schedule won't hurt, will it?

Huh? A warrant? Well it looks like a lack of a warrant isn't stopping you folks from breaking into buildings and opening up a congressman's breifcase, so checking his schedule won't hurt, will it?

You don't need a warrant, we're investigating communists with the authority of the HUAC. We will find them no matter the costs, the safety of our country is at stake here.

In the mean time, I'm going to be getting under cover. The key to upstairs must be around here somewhere, so I'm going to search under any pots/mats/crates that are near the door, that's the most likely place it'll be.

I would like to examine the shiny object, and if it isn't dangerous, pick it up and carry it with me as I climb up the ladder to be treated. After treatment, I would like to show the object to everyone else.

It is a key. Ralph takes it with him, and presents it to the others.

I'd like to read the tax papers, and with my knowledge of the law determine if anything looks out of place. Then I'd like to look at the Congressman's calendar and planner to see what he has planned in the near future.

Tax papers are just a memo from President Truman about a potential increase in taxes to fund the Cold War. Nothing is out of place with these documents. The Congressman's near future has him at a House Un-American Committee meeting in a week to discuss the "Alabatha Situation". A few other pages appear torn out.

It is at that moment that a tree in the park falls to the ground due to the wind. When everyone regains their senses, Judge Cain notices something.

"Where is Mayor Bradford?" he asks.

It is a key. Ralph takes it with him, and presents it to the others.

Ah, well in that case open the damn door and let's get inside please! My suit is starting to get wet.

"Where is Mayor Bradford?" he asks.

Right, who the hell is stealing all the people in charge around here!? Someone go check under that damn tree or something, people don't just disappear into thin air when in a group this large. Blasted commies are at it already, but they won't get me!

Matt looks around suspiciously, waiting for a commie to jump out and try to grab him.

Huh? Well why are people disappearing? Officer! Why'd you let him out of your sight? It's our job to protect him.

I'd like to investigate that fallen tree over there, and the area around it. Footprints? Items?

After I take a quick look we should try that key on the door of the hotel basement.

Huh? Well why are people disappearing? Officer! Why'd you let him out of your sight? It's our job to protect him.

I'd like to shift carefully out of sight behind Officer Harrison.

We can put 2 and 2 together. The congressman had a meeting in DC about the city. Don't help us much, though.

I'd like to stick very close to Councilman Ackerson and Judge Cain. Close enough so I can snap any potential kidnapper's neck.

Maybe we should go upstairs in the hotel. It'd be a lot harder for anyone to snatch anyone else on a second floor.

I'd like to investigate that fallen tree over there, and the area around it. Footprints? Items?

img_0259.jpg

Chief Phelps investigates the tree, which fell due to the wind. There isn't anything odd about it, and because of the force of the wind, it's not surprising that the tree fell. There is something odd behind it, but it's blown away as soon as it's noticed. It appeared to be a cardboard box. Chief Phelps hurries back to the hotel.

I'd like to shift carefully out of sight behind Officer Harrison.

I'd like to stick very close to Councilman Ackerson and Judge Cain. Close enough so I can snap any potential kidnapper's neck.

Officer Fields hides a bit behind Officer Harrison. Fields, then suddenly getting a burst of courage, moves closer towards Ackerson and Cain, protecting them from danger. Officer Harrison then joins him, helping to protect them.

img_0261.jpg

Ralph opens the door to the upstairs using the key he found in the basement.

"Shall we go inside?" Ralph asks.

img_0263.jpg

"Bark, Bark, Bark!"

"What's wrong?" Valerie asks him.

"Bark, Bark, Bark!" the dog continues.

The dog is barking in the general direction of across the street. Shortly after, he ceases barking, as whatever was frightening him has gone.

"What's wrong, King?" Ralph asks him, as the dog heads inside, out of the rain.

Interesting, difficult choice, should we look for the congressman and mayor, or procceed upstairs?

First I would like to instill courage in Officer Fields.

Second I would like to look at the general direction where the dog was barking.

I would also like to know who owns the dog.

Well, I'll go upstairs while you investigate the dog.

I'd like to follow Dolores upstairs, leading the Councilman and the Judge if I can.

Hm. Commies? Just some more bad guys. Back in my day, we just shot 'em and went along our merry business. I'm a Great War veteran, I should know! *Scoff* Spies. Damn commies, using trickery and such. I won't dwell on this again until the time comes, though! Breakfast! Come along, Valerie!

coming sweetie, sorry I'm late everyone, but a lady has to look beautiful!

Nothing much, Alan. Just been spending time with my beautiful wife Valerie, and we've grown the most beautiful garden! You should see our Marigolds. I'll bring you a few, if you'd like.

you know I wouldn't give out my marigolds just like that

gives detestable look to Ralph

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

interesting events, I wonder where everyone has went? I think I'll go check inside. I can't afford to get my hair wet!!!, but first...

I would like to go inspect the boxes in front of the hotel

then, I would like to go take shelter on the stairs leading upstairs